Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Orvin posted:

The crypto brainworm infected guy at work has pivoted to talking about various upcoming games that will somehow use the blockchain to do things. When I make the mistake of probing him with questions of “How does having ownership on a blockchain better than just on the game company server?” He just spouts some nonsense about the player having more control, and not relying on the company. When I follow up with “What good is a Sword of Awesomeness for a random game, if the game servers are shut down?”, he doesn’t really have a good answer for that.

you should bust his nose. That'll teach em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Orvin posted:

The crypto brainworm infected guy at work has pivoted to talking about various upcoming games that will somehow use the blockchain to do things. When I make the mistake of probing him with questions of “How does having ownership on a blockchain better than just on the game company server?” He just spouts some nonsense about the player having more control, and not relying on the company. When I follow up with “What good is a Sword of Awesomeness for a random game, if the game servers are shut down?”, he doesn’t really have a good answer for that.

How did he not come up with NFTs as a use? That way he can print out a jpg of the sword to prove he owned it.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Hot new ridiculous chart alert. As you can see, if you use both a logarithmic AND radial chart, Bitcoin will be at the moon by this time next year!

https://twitter.com/therationalroot/status/1431484692201545732?s=20

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Looks like a turd. From the butt.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

you should bust his nose. That'll teach em

Are you okay there bub?

E: I actually work in a very tech-savvy game studio now and when someone brought up crypto news to mock it, the entire fuckin' room joined in and there was a fun little swapping of "the dumbest thing about crypto" stories

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Orvin posted:

lol this reminds me of a Extra Credit episode written when the sexy pest was still writing for it.

"bockchain means that mmos can have epic player item ownership histories"

why is that good/worth remembering?

"BOCKCHAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!" *takes an hour to download a TB size file for one item*

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Not 100% bitcoin (gently caress you phone I will not capitalize that) related but I'm sure elon will find a way to work butts into it.

https://twitter.com/cullend/status/1431822189020450821

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

LanceHunter posted:

Hot new ridiculous chart alert. As you can see, if you use both a logarithmic AND radial chart, Bitcoin will be at the moon by this time next year!

circling the drain

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

PhazonLink posted:

lol this reminds me of a Extra Credit episode written when the sexy pest was still writing for it.

"bockchain means that mmos can have epic player item ownership histories"

why is that good/worth remembering?

"BOCKCHAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!" *takes an hour to download a TB size file for one item*

The only items worth remembering the history of in MMOs are poo poo like the unique set of fireproof pants that one dude got for killing the developer's special character that one time

Oh cool my rocket launcher was once owned by a dude named ih8wiminXxXsephiroth69, he hasn't played in 4 years because he got permad for going on a racist diatribe on the forums, this knowledge is a big positive and I'm super glad that rocket launchers aren't just fungible AOE damage items anymore

To be fair being able to permanently scar items with his presence is probably a big positive for captain sexpest mcgillicuddy

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

It's a bit like the underpants gnome

Step 1: Fiat currency ends
Step 2: ???
Step 3: My coins are worth something with the collapse of currency

No no no you see the problem with Fiat currency is that the government keeps printing so much of it.

Cryptocurrency solve that problem by being extremely limited.

That’s why there’s only 10,000 different cryptocurrency‘s.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

spunkshui posted:

No no no you see the problem with Fiat currency is that the government keeps printing so much of it.

Cryptocurrency solve that problem by being extremely limited.

That’s why there’s only 10,000 different cryptocurrency‘s.

The other problem is inflation, which is bad because it means that your money can become worthless*.

Unlike crypto which famously maintains its value and never crashes or surges**.

*lose purchasing power over the course of many years, government-backed currency can only become actually worthless if the government stops accepting it or that government ends, please do not examine what happens to outstanding debts under inflation

**for up to fifteen minutes at a time, please do not look into the number of exchanges that have been shut down or whose owners stole all the cryptocurrency before disappearing, please ignore the people who treat crypto as a high volatility investment, they don't exist unless we're bragging about how high the value is now***

***please do not examine what happens to outstanding debts under deflation

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

there's currently a huge banking sector crisis in afghanistan and the banks cant open out of fear of a run on the currency

I'm dead certain coiners are going to try to argue that if they could use bitcoin their crisis would be solved and I'm just here to get ahead of the game and say if you are a coiner who argues that you are literally supporting funding terrorists and methods to do so, thanks

the taliban afghan government is broke for good reason, printing more currency aint gonna get them around them sanctions very good

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cryptobros are like the ridiculous final form of the old "INTERNET: SERIOUS BUSINESS" meme. Just with more libertarianism and pedophilia.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Cryptobros are like the ridiculous final form of the old "INTERNET: SERIOUS BUSINESS" meme. Just with more libertarianism and pedophilia.

But you repeat yourself

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

nomad2020 posted:

But for reals, do you all believe that if a real bank collapses there's going to be up to $250,000 per account just waiting for us to claim?

Part of the function of that FDIC insurance is that banks have to meet certain standards in order to qualify for it. Would that insurance mean much if society completely fell apart, no, but its use as a guard rail people rely on for peace of mind means one more check on banks in some form or fashion.

Historically, though, FDIC insurance has mitigated bank failures by simply transferring assets to another, often larger bank, ensuring that the gears of capitalism don't miss a beat.

That insurance, btw, has not been a boon to the history of black banks in America. I'm loosely paraphrasing "The Color of Money" by Mehrsa Baradaran, who talks about FDIC in greater detail.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Zil posted:

Not 100% bitcoin (gently caress you phone I will not capitalize that) related but I'm sure elon will find a way to work butts into it.

Just casually asking the racism-powered platonic ideal of an Ideas Guy to make something that needs to survive a hurricane. Bets on how many things you need to unscrew to get to a parachute?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

nomad2020 posted:

But for reals, do you all believe that if a real bank collapses there's going to be up to $250,000 per account just waiting for us to claim?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704396504576204752754667840
paid out 9 billion already?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LanceHunter posted:

https://twitter.com/therationalroot/status/1431484692201545732?s=20

It will be the moon

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zil posted:

Airplane drones are actually easier to automate because there's no obstacles or traffic in the air so telling the plane "go full throttle while pulling back on the yolk. Good, now dip your wings until you're facing waypoint one. Ok see ya" isn't difficult.
Landing is tricky but if the drone is worthless enough just let it crash and fix it.
Also an F-9 is a tiny little jet that you would not fly into a hurricane, especially if you gave it bigger wings to carry whatever payload hurricane trackers use to track hurricanes.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/Energy_Ledger/status/1432074694363078662

Just going to mine some oil on my 3090.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
do musk rats think a rocket is just a plane, but like ssj ultra better?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Crack ping.

quote:

blockchain fixes this.

I don't think I can handle another genius coiner insight. That one puts me past my limit.

How dumb do you have to be? How smart so you need to imagine yourself compared to others?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

how...how...how?!

the oil still has to go somewhere. I...

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at musk rats not getting that physical matter literally needs to be gathered and centralized some how to be useful.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ive heard of gas fees but this is ridiculous!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

ikanreed posted:

Crack ping.

I don't think I can handle another genius coiner insight. That one puts me past my limit.

How dumb do you have to be? How smart so you need to imagine yourself compared to others?

We've had people who've insisted that bitcoin is s battery or store of energy, presumably because they can't accept that the energy used in mining is wasted. This is the next logical step. Has a coiner claimed they've made a perpetual motion machine yet?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

HootTheOwl posted:

Airplane drones are actually easier to automate because there's no obstacles or traffic in the air so telling the plane "go full throttle while pulling back on the yolk. Good, now dip your wings until you're facing waypoint one. Ok see ya" isn't difficult.
Landing is tricky but if the drone is worthless enough just let it crash and fix it.
Also an F-9 is a tiny little jet that you would not fly into a hurricane, especially if you gave it bigger wings to carry whatever payload hurricane trackers use to track hurricanes.

i think by "f9" they mean a falcon 9. they are asking elon musk to put atmospheric research instruments on a rocket and shoot it into the hurricane to get science done faster

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
code monkeys that think Musk is ironman arent going to know about planes from the 60s, they probably think thats the stone age.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i think by "f9" they mean a falcon 9. they are asking elon musk to put atmospheric research instruments on a rocket and shoot it into the hurricane to get science done faster

Oh my god they totally want to votol the rocket into an eye of a hurricane...

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

It's either that or they think someone has a bunch of old F-9 cougars sitting around from the 60's. Either way it makes no goddamn sense.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Warbadger posted:

It's either that or they think someone has a bunch of old F-9 cougars sitting around from the 60's. Either way it makes no goddamn sense.

They made a jet too more recently

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Warbadger posted:

Imagine if you instead took a rocket and launched it into LEO, with a bunch of spectral cameras so you could measure wind speed and temperature and UV albedo and get timely and accurate data about the hurricane.

You could even make it geostationary and monitor the whole Atlantic basin.

Contact MR. musk at once! This genius idea can't be delayed!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
shitcoin

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Maybe we could save some money by also getting Elon to repurpose the Tesla autopilot AI to replace the current ballistic missile early warning system. Then when we launch a rocket into a hurricane we could all die in a retaliation strike.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://www.reddit.com/r/Buttcoin/comments/pe244y/if_you_want_some_comedy_gold_check_the_safemoon/

quote:

If you want some comedy gold, check the safemoon Reddit right now

https://www.reddit.com/r/SafeMoon/comments/pdvt53/we_need_to_talk_part_3_the_wallet/

https://www.reddit.com/r/SafeMoon/comments/pdx6gm/ive_had_enough/

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/pdjxnb/safemoon_has_been_exploited_from_day_1_and/

quote:

Safemoon has been exploited from day 1 and $68,460,000 have been siphoned out of the liquidity pool. This gets auto-deleted from their sub. Explanation in comments
lmao even r/cc is chaos dunking on them

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I think the true believers have long since divorced themselves from the concept of tangible value. Everything is ethereal and concepts of physical things are just as good as the actual thing, thus blockchain will solve x problem because nothing truely exists.

von Vicious
Apr 2, 2015

I'M A GINGER BABY WwwWWaaAaAhhH!!!

quote:

gently caress everybody and their emotions, this ain’t no game for the weak baby!! I’m holding for years I don’t give a poo poo about losing 3k…I’m either riding till Valhalla or to hades! LFG safemoon!!!

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
even in the absence of being robber, this is some of the craziest euphoria.

This might be one of my favorite crypto no answer replies I've ever seen to another poster

quote:

quote:

Honest question. What is the utility of Safemoon?
I see what you mean. And I do see it as a startup. I invest in startups so I get it! That’s why I am still HODL. I believe This is a unicorn …billion dollar company. And sometimes you have to wait years to see the true valuation. We are still early. So much potential!! 🚀🚀🚀🚀

That's gotta be a bot, right?

Looks real from other posts

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

it is extremely on-brand for Buttcoin for someone to ask what the point of something is and the answer that comes back is a frothing-at-the-mouth NUMBER GO UP

up Up UP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Well bitcoin and cyrptocurrencys have a huge number of applications, but yes the number do go up. If you bought $1000 of BTC in 2011 you'd have $41 million now. That's pog.