Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

I want to give a shout out to Kaguya-Sama: Love Is War for not only being one of the best anime I’ve ever seen, but praise it for not succumbing to fan service, which it could have easily done.

They do have heavy fan service in the OVA, which adapts chapters that parodied the manga's default lack of fanservice. But yeah. It's surprisingly light on that normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

theblackw0lf posted:

I want to give a shout out to Kaguya-Sama: Love Is War for not only being one of the best anime I’ve ever seen, but praise it for not succumbing to fan service, which it could have easily done.

Never watch the OVA Special then.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

Sounds lame.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Gamers was really good at avoiding fan service too...

... Except for the last episode and the splash at the end of the credits.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Where can you stream Hanamonogatari? It’s not on Funimation.

I’m midway through Second season where I’ve heard it’s recommended to watch it before continuing.

Oh nvm they added it to the second season

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 29, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If I want some fantasy anime with more "out there" esoteric designs am I better off checking out 80s and 90s stuff? Not to paint with too broad a judgment brush but I find it hard to get too into current fantasy shows aside from Konosuba because they tend to share a default "european fantasy by way of anime" art style that feels pretty rote at this point. I'm certainly not watching Konosuba for the deep and intricate world building.

I remember liking Escaflowne the few times I caught an episode when it first aired in Canada, and Garzey's Wing is a hilarious watch. Are the other Tomino fantasy shows in that same "what the gently caress" ball park or did he put some effort in?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 29, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Arc Hammer posted:

If I want some fantasy anime with more "out there" esoteric designs am I better off checking out 80s and 90s stuff? Not to paint with too broad a judgment brush but I find it hard to get too into current fantasy shows aside from Konosuba because they tend to share a default "european fantasy by way of anime" art style that feels pretty rote at this point. I'm certainly not watching Konosuba for the deep and intricate world building.

I remember liking Escaflowne the few times I caught an episode when it first aired in Canada, and Garzey's Wing is a hilarious watch. Are the other Tomino fantasy shows in that same "what the gently caress" ball park or did he put some effort in?

dunbine and rean are insane, and also good. like they're the nutty parts of garzey but also the writing is more interesting too. dunbine is a 50 ep mecha anime so it's got some very slow periods but all of it is basically slowly building into utter chaos and insanity in a way that is pretty unprecedented for fantasy mecha anime still, and features characters like Shot Weapon, a californian weapons dealer who was exiled to australia (they explain this with a scene where he meets his friend from his time in australia, and they dramatically flash back to all the pain and torment they went through and why they want to destroy the world, because of australia) and then got isekai'd into a fantasy world where he decided to make giant robots.

wings of rean is closer to the frantic pace of garzey's wing and is technically another retelling of the original novel but it again makes some very big changes and is more of a weird 2000s tomino thing a la king gainer. it's both kind of terrible and kind of amazing and the villain is a ww2 kamikaze pilot who was warped into a fantasy world before he could kill himself so instead he wandered the land as an honorable samurai, but because of his lingering hatred of america he has now turned into a cruel despotic lord. the cg mechs are really ugly but if you're ok with that it's, a unique ride, and honestly i genuinely like it because it's such a concentrated burst of all of the weirdest parts of modern tomino

dont watch neo dunbine, tomino didn't direct it. it's got some decent swashbuckling action but the plot is somehow more nonsensical than even garzey and they prioritized having lots of detail on the mecha over animating them smoothly so every mecha fight is just a series of stills with maybe some cels awkwardly shifting around the screen. there are some funny moments like the protagonist meeting an order of secret holy knights guarding an ancient space ship who want him to become their jesus figure, the whole spaceship part of which is completely forgotten for the rest of the ova, but it's not worth the risk of the final sequence giving you a seizure even if you're not very photo sensitive

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 29, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

magi is pretty average but it has an arabian setting, not a european one, if you wanted something more recent. akatsuki no yona is pretty good and has a korean/chinese aesthetic, though the best parts of the manga are the parts like right after the anime ends, and its pretty light on the magic and monsters minus the dragon boys.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

just finished fma:b and reading Berserk. Any good indie or low profile cosmic horror/occult manga or animep?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

just finished fma:b and reading Berserk. Any good indie or low profile cosmic horror/occult manga or animep?
otherside picnic? i think the manga's art is more interesting than the anime and the anime shuffles some stuff around in a slightly off way but they're both good.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Famethrowa posted:

There's Mieruko-chan which is getting an Anime soon and there were some amazing adaptions of Lovecraft stories like Color Out of Space.

Not sure if stuff like DURARA, Flying Witch, or Interview with Monster Girls fit what you're looking for, but they all deal with weird occult stuff from time to time. Monsuga as well, but that cranks up the ecchi volume very high.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

It's as far from indie and low profile as you get, and you've probably seen if it's your thing already, but...

You have tried Chainsaw Man, right?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Famethrowa posted:

Not sure I'd call either low profile but for anime I'd definitely recommend Puella Magi Madoka Magica, and to a lesser extent Mob Psycho 100.

I'd also try the Dorohedoro and Dark Dai manga.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Wow, that was a quick way to fill a reading list! Thanks everyone

When I say indie, I guess I mean something oddball like Ergo Proxy, which really doesn't resemble most things that I've seen. I'm really just a dabbler so I may be misreading the scene so I might be using US comics terms.

chiasaur11 posted:

It's as far from indie and low profile as you get, and you've probably seen if it's your thing already, but...

You have tried Chainsaw Man, right?

looks insanely fun but I'm more looking for a little more subtle overall. adding for later.

Endorph posted:

otherside picnic? i think the manga's art is more interesting than the anime and the anime shuffles some stuff around in a slightly off way but they're both good.

a roadside picnic manga? sold.

Julias posted:

Not sure I'd call either low profile but for anime I'd definitely recommend Puella Magi Madoka Magica, and to a lesser extent Mob Psycho 100.

I'd also try the Dorohedoro and Dark Dai manga.

Both Dorohedoro and Dark Dai are extremely my mood right now. More like this if you got!

doomrider7 posted:

There's Mieruko-chan which is getting an Anime soon and there were some amazing adaptions of Lovecraft stories like Color Out of Space.

Not sure if stuff like DURARA, Flying Witch, or Interview with Monster Girls fit what you're looking for, but they all deal with weird occult stuff from time to time. Monsuga as well, but that cranks up the ecchi volume very high.

DURARA looks pretty cool but looking for a bit more dark and gloomy overall.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Famethrowa posted:

i assume you've read the many junjo ito series about this (sensor as an example of one of his lesser known works), outside of that check out Youkai Hunter and all the other manga in that series, Wakusei Closet, World Apartment Horror, theres a bunch of lovecraft manga adaptations, Baron for more shonen stuff, soil, lychee light club maybe, a diffusion disease (definitely good artist from the indie crowd)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Arc Hammer posted:

First thing that came to mind to me was Twelve Kingdoms in terms of a fantasy setting that is if nothing else not the standard European setting. I'm not sure how comparatively "out there" it is ultimately otherwise but it's certainly unique (and a strong enough story) to still be worth pursuing IMO if you're in the mood for fantasy of any stripe and haven't seen it before.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Davincie posted:

i assume you've read the many junjo ito series about this (sensor as an example of one of his lesser known works), outside of that check out Youkai Hunter and all the other manga in that series, Wakusei Closet, World Apartment Horror, theres a bunch of lovecraft manga adaptations, Baron for more shonen stuff, soil, lychee light club maybe, a diffusion disease (definitely good artist from the indie crowd)

Junji Ito was my intro to manga as an adult format and not just teen targeted stuff and I own most of his collections. One of my favorite ever artists across genres.

If you have anyone you'd compare favorably to him I'd be all over that.

Youkai Hunter looks mega neat

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

I'll second the Otherside Picnic rec and also mention that the manga/anime are both adapting a series of novels that I really enjoy. They're officially localized by J-novel club and super worth checking out if you've any interest in novels.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you might want to check out the other series translated by the ladies at slug chicks (who translated junjo ito before he got popular in the west) like the manga by Masaaki Nakayama who tends to follow the same brand of horror
https://www.slugchicks.com/completed-projects/

horror, that isnt ecchi, is not a popular genre for translators so you'll probably be through most of the translated works after you got what's in that link and what i posted earlier. there's some edge cases like Alien 9 and some older stuff, but that's generally harder to get. you'll quickly start getting into issues finding anything even scanned, like for example the excellent Who Fighter with Heart of Darkness which i think is only available as an out of print physical translation

Davincie fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 29, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Famethrowa posted:

seconding the rec for giving Mieruko-chan(The Girl Who Sees "Them") a shot, it's quite good. It follows a girl who can see just the most nightmarish spirits everywhere that nobody else can see, and she forces herself to pretend they aren't there because they, well, react poorly when they realize someone can actually see them.

It's popular, but it's also just genuinely great. I am wary but excited for the anime adaptation, it entirely hinges on whether they drop the ball on adapting the spirits well or not. if they go for cgi then it's gonna be a disaster.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Just started IBO and it seems decent so far. I really like the mech fights since I haven't seen a single beam weapon yet, just regular guns and melee weapons so everything feels way meatier as they beat the poo poo out of each other and you see armor and parts getting smashed up. I'm hoping they don't pull a Code Geass and introduce them later to the detriment of the action scenes, but I know better than to expect that by now.

The world map is pretty funny, somehow Canada managed to annex Russia instead of allying with the United States.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

Just started IBO and it seems decent so far. I really like the mech fights since I haven't seen a single beam weapon yet, just regular guns and melee weapons so everything feels way meatier as they beat the poo poo out of each other and you see armor and parts getting smashed up. I'm hoping they don't pull a Code Geass and introduce them later to the detriment of the action scenes, but I know better than to expect that by now.
I can promise that doesn't happen.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah, IBO doesn't really do beam weapons, it's a cool change from the usual Gundam weaponry.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They're by far the most durable mobile suits in the whole franchise which has made its money off of big pink explosions.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Combat is brutal at the show and remains brutal until the very end.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

The world map is pretty funny, somehow Canada managed to annex Russia instead of allying with the United States.

There's actually a reason for that, although you only see it if you pause when the show's giving one of the incredibly detailed English text dumps in the background. (There's a couple of those moments in season 1.)

Basically, the modern power blocks in the show were arranged by Gjallarhorn at the conclusion of an apocalyptic war. As the only surviving military power, Gjallarhorn basically shoved countries together to keep things manageable, with territory on Mars as the carrot and Gundams as the stick.

And yeah. PD suits stay tough. Even when they explode you sometimes see a mostly intact suit after. It's just that the pilot has to be hosed off the wall.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Scotiabank surviving the apocalypse and operating centuries in the future amuses me almost as much as Western Credit Union also surviving.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Scotiabank surviving the apocalypse and operating centuries in the future amuses me almost as much as Western Credit Union also surviving.

This is how I felt seeing Jollibee in Hathaway.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Endorph posted:

I can promise that doesn't happen.

Awesome, glad to hear it. Just got to the part where the get to Earth and that entire fight sequence was badass. I love how they show fists and weapons scraping along the surfaces of whatever they hit and showing all the damage being caused, it's really well done in this show.

Arc Hammer posted:

Wait, is there actually product placement for Canadian businesses because that's hilarious.

Ibblebibble posted:

This is how I felt seeing Jollibee in Hathaway.

Ahahahahah oh poo poo, that's awesome.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I didn't even know IBO was in the UC timeline until they showed the world map with a big crater where Sydney used to be.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

That Works posted:

I didn't even know IBO was in the UC timeline until they showed the world map with a big crater where Sydney used to be.

It's not, the Sydney thing is an easter egg

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Droyer posted:

It's not, the Sydney thing is an easter egg

Huh, cool I did not know that either.

Makes sense as there was no other real tie-ins that I spotted.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Coxswain Balls posted:

Wait, is there actually product placement for Canadian businesses because that's hilarious.

Ahahahahah oh poo poo, that's awesome.

Yeah they used Google Street View as references for the ground battle in Edmonton, so you end up getting stuff like this:

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Speaking of IBO, I was recommended to check out 08th MS, 00, and Wing. Yes, no? So far, IBO is pretty good, only a few episodes in.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
08th MS Team has a dumb romeo and juliet subplot but also has some of the best mech stuff in the entire franchise, so YMMV. I absolutely adore the whole "gundams in a jungle war" thing it's got going on.

Wing is campy as poo poo but also pretty good all things considered, and some of the designs are all-time top tiers, my favorite gundam is the Heavyarms Custom, and basically every single non-gundam mobile suit is just A+++ especially Mercurius/Vayeate.

Never saw 00.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
First season of Gundam 00 is excellent. Second season not so much though, as it got hit with the dread spectre of producer's notes from Sunrise who who didn't like season one being so "un-Gundam". It's still watchable, but the writing is noticeably worse by a wide margin.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
08th MS Team had a director change halfway through because the first guy died IIRC and the show takes a bit of a nosedive. There's one or two good episodes after the director change but most of them are kind of lame and character motivations go off the rails.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 7, 2021

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think 08th MS Team is fine in light if you know, the director dying, and it's far from the dumbest story told in a Gundam show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's easy to pick up and get into, it's just fallen into more of a "middle of the pack" series compared to a lot of the newer shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Monolith. posted:

Speaking of IBO, I was recommended to check out 08th MS, 00, and Wing. Yes, no? So far, IBO is pretty good, only a few episodes in.

Wing is less a good show so much as a funny show. But it's pretty good at being (debatably unintentionally) funny

Never saw 08th. 00 s1 was fine, I didn't care enough to watch into season 2