Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Good Citizen posted:

you’d think with half her tweets being about how the storm is coming she would have been better prepared

:vince: holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Regarde Aduck posted:

do you actually not understand how circuits work?

power lines are sketchy as poo poo to be around if they're energized, they will arc a surprisingly long distance through u if they smell even the faintest whiff of a voltage disparity

thats why in some circumstances if ur doing hot high voltage work and clamping those ground lines to the power line isnt enough u put on the faraday suit

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

Good Citizen posted:

you’d think with half her tweets being about how the storm is coming she would have been better prepared

god drat

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Crazypoops posted:

holy poo poo, I didn't know that a vehicle is basically a faraday cage, still though you should be careful not to knock all your gear off by driving through 216 power lines in a row

no

for real don't drive over or even near downed power lines, your tires aren't insulators and even the surrounding ground can be energized enough to kill you

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MadJackal posted:

https://twitter.com/MomDragon07/status/1432157754513403912?s=20

They're all so eager to die until they're faced with the end.

Started the day as Ann Coulter, ended the day as Anne Frank

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SteveWAFB/status/1432189259973279744

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

no

for real don't drive over or even near downed power lines, your tires aren't insulators and even the surrounding ground can be energized enough to kill you

did you have to learn to do the penguin walk for downed power lines too

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

legit lol

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Clout chasing stormchaser was a fun little bit of internet drama.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

okay, so whats the diff then between power lines and lightning, cause supposedly you're safe in your car from lightning (I don't know for sure I'm not a lightningologist) but not power lines, so is it cause lines can get tangled in your poo poo? or it's so strong it can arc like right through the vehicle straight to you? or like it'll arc at your car and gently caress it up then you're stuck on powerlines?

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

super sweet best pal posted:

Clout chasing stormchaser was a fun little bit of internet drama.

a good sidequest

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

driving over power lines is the quickest and easiest way to gain superpowers

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

LGD posted:

oh good he’s magically totes fine and definitely talked to the authorities ahead of time so really you’re a bad person if you thought for one moment his actions would negatively impact anyone else

lmfao this guy

https://twitter.com/ChicagoMWeather/status/1432189434364112902?s=20

Whoever found this kid is going to drop him on the side of the road in less than 20 minutes

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Good soup! posted:

driving over power lines is the quickest and easiest way to gain superpowers

I'm going with this answer

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

blatman posted:

did you have to learn to do the penguin walk for downed power lines too

in circuits class they told us to hop with both feet together

because, as i'm sure you know, the differential between your feet if you take a step normally can be enough to send it up through your body

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Crazypoops posted:

okay, so whats the diff then between power lines and lightning, cause supposedly you're safe in your car from lightning (I don't know for sure I'm not a lightningologist) but not power lines, so is it cause lines can get tangled in your poo poo? or it's so strong it can arc like right through the vehicle straight to you? or like it'll arc at your car and gently caress it up then you're stuck on powerlines?

Dad was a city power and water guy and used to tell stories about crazy rear end arcing.

Like most electricity poo poo, best just not to gently caress around with it unless you are a professional.

If entergy literally hadn't put out a statement that their actual power generation is completely offline there's no way in hell id go near the big rear end lines. Even then... gently caress it's just not worth the risk unless you are a pro.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

water beats dirt, everyone knows this

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Crazypoops posted:

*You* personally might be safe from a lightning strike in a car. The car might be hosed or catch on fire. That lightning strike is instant, with no real residual current or electrical danger. Unless you're in a Tesla, you can just get out of your dead and burning car.

Driving over downed lines means your car might be arcing and welding its own metal all over, and potentially frying itself and catching fire. While you're over live electrical lines. Now you have to worry about being on fire and electrocuted because you're stuck in a dead, burning car, with a hot chassis.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Crazypoops posted:

okay, so whats the diff then between power lines and lightning

Time, basically. A lightning bolt only transmits current for a microsecond, a live transmission line will deep fry you for seconds or even minutes.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Okay now I'm changing to goalposts: it won't be as bad a Katrina and the levees will hold

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/search?q=laplace&src=typed_query&f=live

wtf it's all people asking for help no one is gonna help you on twitter

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Chuka Umana posted:

Okay now I'm changing to goalposts: it won't be as bad a Katrina and the levees will hold

dude haven’t they been through enough

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

ewb, your folks still ok?

acid garfield
Jul 11, 2019

Mondays are certain,
suffering is optional.

Chuka Umana posted:

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

drat theyre gonna be without power for a while

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in circuits class they told us to hop with both feet together

because, as i'm sure you know, the differential between your feet if you take a step normally can be enough to send it up through your body

we were taught to do the awkward shuffle where your feet never leave the ground as you shimmy in a half circle sort of thing and your feet are close enough together where you probably won't get a step voltage zap

i'm not sure if yours is better though because the guy who taught mine also told us that a viable way to test if something is live if it's 240v or under is to lick the back of your hand and then tap it to the conductor (the logic being when you get zapped your hand will jerk away to safety, but if you grab the conductor properly then when you get electrocuted your hands will tense up and death-grip whatever you just grabbed)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I remember hearing an apocryphal story about a guy or guys working high voltage lines when the basket slipped and caught on the wire, but everything was fine because everything was properly grounded.

...until one of the guys had to go and pissed off the side. :supaburn:

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
https://twitter.com/PMBreakingNews/...192804076376065

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/WxCjs/status/1432191133652766720?s=20

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/SteveWAFB/status/1432177906067939330

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

hoping cajun navy is en route

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
https://twitter.com/BunChoum/status/1432174567410356224

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Lol to think this all started with us concerned for this idiot

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
https://twitter.com/hurricanetrack/status/1432139018498609153?s=20

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Any updates from inside New Orleans proper?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Chuka Umana posted:

Wet

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Chuka Umana posted:

no one cares about your thoughts, go away you weird ghoul

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

was most of Katrinas damage after the initial hurricane and to do with the levees failing?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
so bye-bye miss king cake
drove my chevy to the levee, but the levee was a lake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Zil posted:

Lol to think this all started with us concerned for this idiot

to be fair, if the guy is a literal con artist then a bunch of people falling for his poo poo is completely understandable