Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Splicer posted:

I bought the thing, haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Also happy judgement day

John Carpenter's The Thing or some other the thing? The game or the movie?

Not addressing you directly but the subject of what's appropriate for a 10-11 year old came up either in this thread or the other Alien thread and my son and I have made a pact to save The Thing for Halloween this year. He's seen Predator, Alien/Aliens and Terminator 1 and 2. He tried T3, Genysis and Alien 3 but thought they sucked so now I am really growing to trust his judgement. I think he's ready.

Honestly, that decision depends on the kid and what one thinks as a parent and what their child can discern and handle. I don't let my boy watch anything r-rated that I haven't seen first. He's not allowed to watch Robocop for instance and I don't remember enough about Starship Troopers to decide on that one. I won't let him watch A Quiet Place even though it's rated PG13 because of the birthing scene and he doesn't understand sex or procreation yet. Or has even asked about it.

Sorry...now I'm just rambling and maybe responding to the wrong thread.

Anyway, enjoy whatever thing you bought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Starship Troopers has titties.

Take that as you will.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm in favor of them.

I haven't checked with my son.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm in favor of them.

:hfive:

Horny posting for the red head.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Brain Bug titties

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HiroProtagonist posted:

(looking at you Gift of Fire M1)

gently caress this mission, I have failed it 3 out of the 4 times I've attempted it. The 4th time it crashed on me :argh:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm in favor of them.

I am always in favor of titties

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BiggerBoat posted:

OK yeah that's on me, I meant I bought Alien Fireteam :lol:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I will never happen. We are what? 15 lightyears from the nearest star. So they are watching Friends. If they exist at all. It would be amazing if it happened, but it isn't going to

Nearest star is 4-5 LY away.
It has a planet, and we don't have a loving clue what its like.

Funny fact, the nearest star to us can not be seen by the naked eye in the sky, its too dim.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

gently caress this mission, I have failed it 3 out of the 4 times I've attempted it. The 4th time it crashed on me :argh:

The trick is to carry AP, like recons with DMRs. or 2+ technicians with hand cannons.

it's a loving chore with pubbies who think flamers (admittedly, being as good as they are otherwise) can just burn down armored xenos without a titch of planning for it

e: and technicians without the heavy turret won't see that doing gently caress all to crushers/praetorians either.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Aliens: Fire Team is pretty fun. I finally got my first all-bot fire team. Kind of a nice touch that they're all Seegson bots. AI isn't like a pack of roombas running around- they actually did a good job of following me.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Starship Troopers has titties.

Take that as you will.

I saw it as a live Rifftrax in a theater and they took the titties out.

Oddly if you have the Rifftrax filez they kind of talk over the titties.

e: They're also a little shy on the Alien scene where Ripley hasn't quite got the suit on yet.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I bought Fire Team a few nights ago and still haven't gotten a chance to play it because I'm working like 11 night shifts in a row. :( Come Labour Day I'm going to spend several hours on it.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

e: They're also a little shy on the Alien scene where Ripley hasn't quite got the suit on yet.

The Rifftrax for The Room does the same for the sex scenes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Parkingtigers posted:

Alright, I gave it a fair crack. Last time I saw Alien 3 was at least two decades ago. At least. The assembly cut is better than the theatrical cut, but better doesn't mean good.

There are moments I liked in the middle act, which if they weren't tied to the earlier good films might have carried more weight. But the whole ending of the movie is a very tiresome and overlong chase scene where a shoddily composited alien puppet kills too many characters (none of whom I know or care about) one by one. See, that worked in Alien because there were only 7 of them in total. Kane died first, Ash goes rogue, so it's just about the remaining 5 and I've gotten to know and give a drat about all of them. When there's a dozen of them left, after already having seen a dozen die, and I only really like (kinda) a couple of them, it's just a whole lot of nameless almost identical nobodies getting eaten up one by one.

The real crimes are in the opening act though. It's still impossible to get over the fact they killed off Hicks and Newt in the opening 6 minutes. For Ripley, the last time she woke up she was locked in a room with Newt and two facehuggers on LV-426. For her, that was yesterday. Today she wakes up and they're all dead. The next day (and I'm being generous in assuming it was actually the next day) she's all "eh, I'm over it" and decides to gently caress Charles Dance. That's a *wild* three days of character un-development for Ripley. Now Charles Dance is a great actor, but he's playing a very emotionally restrained dude here and it's just so baffling that she's horny for him (or anyone) at that point.

The attempted rape scene should not exist at all, and while the execution of it makes it worse, it being in the film at all is just creepy AF but not in a narrative way. Somehow it's made worse because they had Ripley jump Charles Dance's bones the day after(?) burying Hicks and Newt. Far too many scenes involve convicts talking about how they do want to have sex with her, how they don't want to have sex with her, how others shouldn't be tempted to have sex with her, one actually having sex with her, a group trying to rape her, and suddenly her being the only woman on a planet of men gets so much worse than just failing the Bechdel Test. It's almost good that there's an alien monster there so they have *anything* else to talk about than Ripley's perceived fuckability.

I don't even hate the film, it's more bland than bad for the most part *on its own merits*.

Why is this rape in my rape monster movie? Eww, no thank you.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

loving prudes.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

ruddiger posted:

Why is this rape in my rape monster movie? Eww, no thank you.

gently caress you

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Not addressing you directly but the subject of what's appropriate for a 10-11 year old came up either in this thread or the other Alien thread and my son and I have made a pact to save The Thing for Halloween this year. He's seen Predator, Alien/Aliens and Terminator 1 and 2. He tried T3, Genysis and Alien 3 but thought they sucked so now I am really growing to trust his judgement. I think he's ready.

Honestly, that decision depends on the kid and what one thinks as a parent and what their child can discern and handle. I don't let my boy watch anything r-rated that I haven't seen first. He's not allowed to watch Robocop for instance and I don't remember enough about Starship Troopers to decide on that one. I won't let him watch A Quiet Place even though it's rated PG13 because of the birthing scene and he doesn't understand sex or procreation yet. Or has even asked about it.

Sorry...now I'm just rambling and maybe responding to the wrong thread.

Anyway, enjoy whatever thing you bought.

This is the correct approach, and I’m glad your kid has good taste. I didn’t my daughter watch RoboCop until a few months ago (she’s 12) and it was fine. Wouldn’t even think to at ten, I saw it when I was about seven and it hosed me up with the Murphy getting slowly blown apart scene. Still don’t think she needs to see the YouTube video of RoboCop blasting dicks off for three minutes straight thing, she can find that on her own if she’s so inclined.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

happyhippy posted:

Nearest star is 4-5 LY away.
It has a planet, and we don't have a loving clue what its like.

Funny fact, the nearest star to us can not be seen by the naked eye in the sky, its too dim.

<pedant>Second nearest</pedant>

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

with the rise of oversized original art artists edition books, I would give anything to see some of the original pages of the old dark horse comics. I bet the Kelley Jones and Sam Kieth pages look amazing on the original boards.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 30, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

with the rise of oversized original art artists edition books, I would give anything to see some of the original pages of the old dark horse comics. I bet the Kelley Jones and Sam Kieth pages look amazing on the original boards.

I got you fam

https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/Aliens_30th_Anniversary:_The_Original_Comics_Series

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

JamesieAB posted:

<pedant>Second nearest</pedant>

Eyy, this guy knows somethin' we don't?!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Mister Speaker posted:

Eyy, this guy knows somethin' we don't?!

the nearest star to earth is the sun

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

the nearest star to earth is the sun

yeah but there ain't no intelligent life near it

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mister Speaker posted:

yeah but there ain't no intelligent life near it
That's not true

We got octopuses

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HiroProtagonist posted:

The trick is to carry AP, like recons with DMRs. or 2+ technicians with hand cannons.

it's a loving chore with pubbies who think flamers (admittedly, being as good as they are otherwise) can just burn down armored xenos without a titch of planning for it

e: and technicians without the heavy turret won't see that doing gently caress all to crushers/praetorians either.

I love the hand cannon. I have a good scope, and get a nice shot of dopamine every time I hear that musical note on headshots.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

frogge posted:

Aliens: Fire Team is pretty fun. I finally got my first all-bot fire team. Kind of a nice touch that they're all Seegson bots. AI isn't like a pack of roombas running around- they actually did a good job of following me.

The matchmaking is really annoying getting stuck with the bots besides the dumb AI since bots are automatically picked to use only gunner class / pulse rifle.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

etalian posted:

The matchmaking is really annoying getting stuck with the bots besides the dumb AI since bots are automatically picked to use only gunner class / pulse rifle.

yeah, like yesterday one specific mission would just disconnect me repeatedly for a while. supposedly the patch last night fixed the whole matchmaking/random disconnection thing but even so playing with random pubbies is a crapshoot

the bots are pure misery when they come in. i guess it kind of makes sense to not make them too good, and while they're usually mediocre but passable in most respects, there are a couple missions that are utterly impossible to complete even on standard if you have even one of them rather than an actual human.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just want to say, pubbies can be a mixed bag. I had one that rage quit because no one was playing the way he wanted to play. Beta was a godsend compared to him

Then there was one that just stopped playing, in a different room leaving and the other guy to die in another room. Dude had his microphone on and was ordering a pizza.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I just want to say, pubbies can be a mixed bag. I had one that rage quit because no one was playing the way he wanted to play. Beta was a godsend compared to him

Then there was one that just stopped playing, in a different room leaving and the other guy to die in another room. Dude had his microphone on and was ordering a pizza.

It is fun even though the more you get into the game the overall level design gets predictable, defend the room on a countdown with one player watching each firing lane.

It did think it was cool for how the final hive campaign the prowler special blends in the hive walls or ceilings similar to the marine ambush scene in the movie.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

etalian posted:

Yeah, for whatever reason all of my matches yesterday were all bots and I noticed that. I checked my connection to the internet and it's fine. I find it hard to believe that there's so few people playing it on a Sunday afternoon that I'd get stuck with bots all day.

Iron Crowned posted:

My first match ever a housemate had a full-blown meltdown and was screaming about needing immediate help so I had to bail like 15mins in. Felt like such a dick to everyone I was playing with, especially when it turned out to be a non-emergency. Hope that didn't flag me as a rage quitter.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
YouTube suggested some silly video with a ‘working’ Pulse Rifle at a shooting range. The mag only holds 20 rounds and the grenade launcher was a shotgun. And the firing noise was lame af, standard bang-bang poo poo.
0/5

Also, lmbo at smoothbrained nitpicking podcasters who get hung up on dumb poo poo like the chestburster growing so fast - it’s [Keyes]A loving ALIEN[/Keyes] unlike anything humanity has ever encountered, it doesn’t have to play by man’s simple understanding of the universe.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sentinel Red posted:

YouTube suggested some silly video with a ‘working’ Pulse Rifle at a shooting range. The mag only holds 20 rounds and the grenade launcher was a shotgun. And the firing noise was lame af, standard bang-bang poo poo.
0/5

Also, lmbo at smoothbrained nitpicking podcasters who get hung up on dumb poo poo like the chestburster growing so fast - it’s [Keyes]A loving ALIEN[/Keyes] unlike anything humanity has ever encountered, it doesn’t have to play by man’s simple understanding of the universe.

Plus there's plenty of shortlived insects and sealife here on earth today right now that have just as bizarre reproductive/lifecycles, the xenomorph's massive size relative to those is what puts it into "holy poo poo how does this even work territory" which is fine because it's Alien. Like whenever people nitpick that they're nitpicking the one genuinely alien thing about it. Even in Alien itself when Parker is describing it after Brett was killed - the thing they're freaking out about isn' t molecular acid or that it killed someone, it's that it was man-sized. So even if newer stuff has accelerated what we see on screen more it growing fast has been a wondrous/terrifying thing about it since the first movie.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 30, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I made a beautiful emo boy and then pew pewed aliens with HiroProtagonist and a random pubbie. Good times

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sentinel Red posted:

0/5
What did you expect?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah the OG pulse rifle prop was a Thompson SMG with an underslung shotgun (SPAS-12 I think?).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah the OG pulse rifle prop was a Thompson SMG with an underslung shotgun (SPAS-12 I think?).

Gotta love just how many WWII era weapons got turned into space guns in the 70's and 80's

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

The smart guns were based off of the MG42 and the prop weapons were so heavy that they had numerous near miss accidents/Faceplants during the action scene shooting.

Fireteam seems decent as Co-Op MP shooter just because some of the more recent games from the setting were very bad.

I'd say the best thing about the game despite the predictable set pieces was how the aliens being able cling on to ceiling did lead to some Movie like good jump scares because I got distracted from covering a ceiling route path.

etalian fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 30, 2021

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

etalian posted:

The smart guns were based off of the MG42 and the prop weapons were so heavy that they had numerous near miss accidents/Faceplants during the action scene shooting.

now i know that the steadicam armatures were not just to look cool but also practical :eng101:

also probably another reason Jenette Goldstein got her role, having been fresh off of pro gymnastics training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Sunswipe posted:

What did you expect?

Something full auto at least, it was just single shots at a time! And only 20 rounds? Disgusting, try harder, gun nerds!

He didn't even try making 'brrrrrrrrrrpp-brrrrrrrrrrrp' noises through his lips, it was a shameful display.
:colbert: