Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You’re lucky they even bothered to spend the time to put together a server with a different rule set. If you want to be the coolest kid on the block with your guild and kill the big baddies for e-cred, you can still do so on a normal server.

Or you can do it here, but it sounds like you really want that e-cred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

RCarr posted:

You’re lucky they even bothered to spend the time to put together a server with a different rule set. If you want to be the coolest kid on the block with your guild and kill the big baddies for e-cred, you can still do so on a normal server.

Or you can do it here, but it sounds like you really want that e-cred.

Not sure who that response was aimed at.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
Just chiming in here on Velious Loot. There hasn't been a group this past week I have been part of that we didn't discuss how poo poo it is. Not just because they seem to have forgotten to randomize so many, or not make names rare, but the amount of loot is lower, and just garbage. I've been in every camp in Velks Lab, and the stuff dropping is simply not worth the effort. Right now, you're better off leveling in Seb. Velious gear was never all that great, but their even mixing in random poo poo. The Velious expansion didn't have a level climb, so it's really just about the locations, not the loot. Some of my favorite zones in the game are in Velious, but I vendor the loot :)

You want to see the downside of randomized loot take a look at the LFG window and see who's available. Guarantee every high level search has at least one or two people in Unrest. What are they doing there? Farming the Knight for a chance at a Pegasus cloak. But not just for one, they will sit there for days and days, and collect things to sell. Everquest is the most "poop sock" experience you can have in an MMO, and the progression servers are allowing basement dwellers to do that all over again. Everquest (Original, Kunark, and Velious) has some high end gear that's worth getting, but the sweet money making stuff is through the 20's and 30's

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Bahanahab posted:

Not sure who that response was aimed at.

Whoever was originally upset that the raid tier dragons dropped the same or worse stuff as open world dragons.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, I still don't get the complaint. EQ has been on a tiny team for years, I was glad they...ever did anything ever. If they didn't give a poo poo, they wouldn't have even done the server. I dunno, don't any the people complaining have jobs? Haven't us adults learned that work is always more complex, busy, and difficult than those on the outside give it credit for?

I know we have lots of software developers here. Even the tiniest of bugs can eat up a lot of time. Saying they "don't give a poo poo" is needlessly harsh, but I also know that game players on the internet like to fall back on that every time some online game doesn't 100% meet what that player (with some other vocal players) wanted.

Unless like, mobs are dropping no loot at all, or stuff out of era, etc. Stuff that's obviously bugs. But this seems very much "doing exactly what we said".

It's a silly server based on a silly idea with silly rules and silly poo poo happens. Anyone going into this *obviously* goofy idea thinking it'd be balanced or For Serious Raiders Only didn't even read the headline before clicking "I Agree". Finding the time to try to "balance" loot based on this goofy idea is hard to justify. Esp since TLPs fall off hard after PoP anyways. By their nature they're short-lived (by EQ terms) experiences, that people enjoy with little bits of different flavor each time.

It's like the people who rolled on Agnarr and then bitched about it dying at PoP.

Edit:

quote:

Not just because they seem to have forgotten to randomize so many, or not make names rare, but the amount of loot is lower

Yeah - so that feels like some stuff they should fix. The amount is subjective, but obviously mobs that aren't randomized, or marked as rare properly. Have they commented on it?

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 24, 2021

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I was always confused what velious would look like the most. ToV quest drops were my path to gearing pre-raid in Mangler velious, so I can easily see how that expansion would be an absolute hot mess of trying to get drops. I assume none of the questable equipment drops, which basically means you’re doing the same thing every other velious server and grinding up EToV or giants? I can’t really think of many camps I did in velious that wasn’t faction grind related, only good drops or upgrades were quested or out of ToV iirc. I’m looking forward to learning where the vulak loot shows up eventually, maybe there will be an abundance of that one bard pbaoe regen song.. my mangler guild had half a dozen of them drop before velious ended.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

I was always confused what velious would look like the most. ToV quest drops were my path to gearing pre-raid in Mangler velious, so I can easily see how that expansion would be an absolute hot mess of trying to get drops. I assume none of the questable equipment drops, which basically means you’re doing the same thing every other velious server and grinding up EToV or giants? I can’t really think of many camps I did in velious that wasn’t faction grind related, only good drops or upgrades were quested or out of ToV iirc. I’m looking forward to learning where the vulak loot shows up eventually, maybe there will be an abundance of that one bard pbaoe regen song.. my mangler guild had half a dozen of them drop before velious ended.

it seems like they didnt even put vulak on the random loot tables, he just had his normal stuff. tho they are possibly changing the loot tables tomorrow, so we'll see what happens then? the quest gear still drops the way it normally did, tho it seems like both kael + skyshrine gear can drop from any trash mob in TOV, while thurgadin gear seems to still drop just in kael.

and lol at the dude saying this is about 'e-cred', nobody gives a poo poo about that ESPECIALLY not on TLP servers, its about doing hard content only for it to be a complete waste of loving time. Trust me, if vulak + AOW loot are dropping from dragons in western wastes (which, i must reiterate, are not actual raid fights), it doesn't mean you + your buddies get a chance to get amazing loot, it means rear end in a top hat guilds will be making sure you never see a single one of those mobs alive.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
If any of the proposed changes were in good faith they would be aiming for the start of Luclin.

This is the most notorious krono farming guilds after maximizing the fire hose of loot for a week demanding the rules be changed for everyone else to protect their profits. If smaller more casual guilds can put together 2-3 groups and farm content with an extremely rare chance to drop stuff like Prismatic weapons (post-Sleeper Primals) or other ST loot it’s harder to sell.

I’m open to arguments that the random loot needs tweaking in a later expansion, but this is just a small vocal group of players trying to work the refs to their advantage.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

xZAOx posted:

... needlessly harsh ...

Isn't that what the internet was developed for?

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

BGrifter posted:

If any of the proposed changes were in good faith they would be aiming for the start of Luclin.

This is the most notorious krono farming guilds after maximizing the fire hose of loot for a week demanding the rules be changed for everyone else to protect their profits. If smaller more casual guilds can put together 2-3 groups and farm content with an extremely rare chance to drop stuff like Prismatic weapons (post-Sleeper Primals) or other ST loot it’s harder to sell.

I’m open to arguments that the random loot needs tweaking in a later expansion, but this is just a small vocal group of players trying to work the refs to their advantage.

Yeah, the Plane of Growth trash thread is basically the krono farmers trying to get the mobs nerfed to protect their income of Krono.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

eh IDK if that's the real motivation, altho i guess it wouldn't surprise me that much, but the loot rates already mean that the prices of normally expensive + hard to get items are already in the toilet and will never recover, even if the loot rules do change tomorrow. IIRC the proposed changes will mean MORE of the rare loot drops, since sleepers 1.0 loot and vulak loot will be put onto Tunare, Tormax, Yelinak, and Cazic Thule, who are all much more accessible.

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

Sleeper's 1.0 loot is dropping in ToV and Tormax dropped Vulak loot. They already did some changes at least.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

ah, nice. they weren't in by the end of Monday so people were guessing it might go up after maintenance

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

The best part is watching all the krono lords scramble to sell their sleeper's 1.0 loot before the prices drops hard

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

seems like they might have gone too hard the other way on some things, it seems like PoFear golems arent even fuckin randomized so you just get a big pile of old cazic loot every time you kill 1, darkwood trunks and AoN's for everybody

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

A surfing dog?! posted:

The best part is watching all the krono lords scramble to sell their sleeper's 1.0 loot before the prices drops hard

Surely 450 real u.s. dollars is the true value of my gloves of dragon slaying! Maybe 400 today if I get no bites??

I mean, I hate those people. But I don't hate that, after we got like 9? ST key talismans they massively overpaid for them on day 3 and we could buy actually useful stuff. Those Perma clickies are interesting, I never l don't remember them at all.

This random loot thing is both hilarious and frustrating. The aforementioned unrest dwarf yeah, very classic eq poopsock. But the three tormax heads in one kill and dozen prismatics in two hours and such give me incredibly hardy chuckles even if the *** of RZ and vindi dropped gently caress all on day one. It's the box army dps race KSing and blatant bots that are truly frustrating though. In EW farming snow griffin eggs, i watched a mage blast across from the succor direction at bard speed (on his lonesome) and round ST blasting hard on the 20% mob. It's been like that at points since I started a few weeks ago, but at least the instanced stuff keeps the absolute worst of it under control. Doesn't stop poo poo like epic pieces from being a bitch though, unfortunately.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
It hit me today the best way to gear up on Mischief is to log out for a month and come back when everything is selling for pocket change. :sigh:

I hit CoV Ally and turned in everything but the Tunic (don’t have) and the Boots (they suck) so that was cool. About half way through the Coldain Prayer Shawls. Need to park myself in Velks and farm 75x Crystalline Silk Threads next. I really need to stop procrastinating and grind out 60 but :effort:

I can feel my enthusiasm to log in fading with each passing day. I don’t know if I’ll make it to PoP at this rate. My memories of Luclin were mostly negative and it’s still 3+ months to PoP.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

BGrifter posted:

It hit me today the best way to gear up on Mischief is to log out for a month and come back when everything is selling for pocket change. :sigh:

I hit CoV Ally and turned in everything but the Tunic (don’t have) and the Boots (they suck) so that was cool. About half way through the Coldain Prayer Shawls. Need to park myself in Velks and farm 75x Crystalline Silk Threads next. I really need to stop procrastinating and grind out 60 but :effort:

I can feel my enthusiasm to log in fading with each passing day. I don’t know if I’ll make it to PoP at this rate. My memories of Luclin were mostly negative and it’s still 3+ months to PoP.

If you can get the servitor camp locked down 24/7, you'll br in good shape.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

DisgracelandUSA posted:

If you can get the servitor camp locked down 24/7, you'll br in good shape.

I doubt I could lock down Fippy Darkpaw 24/7 lol

Luclin raiding back in the day is all one big blur. I know I got keyed for VT but I don’t think we made any progress in there. I have clear memories from individual raids in Kunark, Velious and tons from PoP. I don’t think I could name any of the Luclin bosses.

I am a little bit intrigued by the possibility of a Beastlord alt so maybe that will keep me playing through Luclin.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

BGrifter posted:

I doubt I could lock down Fippy Darkpaw 24/7 lol

Luclin raiding back in the day is all one big blur. I know I got keyed for VT but I don’t think we made any progress in there. I have clear memories from individual raids in Kunark, Velious and tons from PoP. I don’t think I could name any of the Luclin bosses.

I am a little bit intrigued by the possibility of a Beastlord alt so maybe that will keep me playing through Luclin.

You can't name them because they were all nearly unpronounceable. Oh and all the ring events.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Zil posted:

You can't name them because they were all nearly unpronounceable. Oh and all the ring events.

Yeah I remember a lot of names like Diablos Xi Lootsackacus not to be confused with Diablos X Lootsackacus, Diablos Xu Lootsackacus, Diablos Ki Lootsackacus, Diablos Fred Lootsackacus and Diablos nWo Lootsackacus.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
The post 50 grind sucks, but I'm making progress on good nights, and trying to limit the impact of bad nights. I'm half way through 57 now and still enjoying it, but I can also feel the desire to log in slowly slipping away. I had some horrible group experiences last week. Velks is still the place to be to just level, and although the loot kind of sucks, we did see this belt drop last night. Of course the caster won the roll :)

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=6279

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
you let the caster roll on that? lol

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

please knock Mom! posted:

you let the caster roll on that? lol

Unless something is substantially different on mischief, every roll on every loot in a pug is gonna be greed rolls ( everyone need ).

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

rally posted:

Unless something is substantially different on mischief, every roll on every loot in a pug is gonna be greed rolls ( everyone need ).

Yeah it wasn't like we were out looking for specific items or raiding. Just the ole PUG and need rolls on everything. Groups are usually fine with giving something to whoever needs it, but on an item like that, I didn't question it. I figured most of the folks in the group would have sold it anyways.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015
Feeling the itch again and wanting to try mischief. Is it still worth hopping in on this server?

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

trauma llama posted:

Feeling the itch again and wanting to try mischief. Is it still worth hopping in on this server?

Mischief is certainly busy enough, and even the starting zones have a good population as others are joining, or rolling alts. The low level starting gear is dirt cheap as well since the anniversary event pumped a lot of it into the economy. I still say that was a great thing for new characters.

If you're starting out on the server, try to find yourself a low level rare to camp. I did very well in The Desert of Ro killing as many Rohatep's as I could find at the Undead Ruins. I bet I killed 200 of him in a weekend, sometimes kiting two at a time... That was during the double event though. That was the gear and money injection I needed to get a footfold, and I've done pretty well.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
lol spotted this eBay review from 2007.

Seemed relevant to the year 2021.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

trauma llama posted:

This is the loot pinata server. Most rares/bosses/encounters of similar difficulty have shared loot tables across their respective expansion and it's nearly all droppable (aside from some pieces of epic quest loot). The BIS high end loot is pricey, but this is driving prices down on normal gear (and by normal I mean stuff like planar gear and other cool things you normally can't get at level 1) It's a fun server. There will likely be a Labor Day weekend bonus for exp/loot, so it's a good time to jump on. (Do know that some people will drama over loot because money,)

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

I have a dumb dumb request can somebody post the text from the file marked neriack_3.txt in the map folder I accidentally deleted mine (dont ask)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Haruharuharuko posted:

I have a dumb dumb request can somebody post the text from the file marked neriack_3.txt in the map folder I accidentally deleted mine (dont ask)

mine's just a blank file but I can post it if you want, if something is screwy there's some sort of repair utility hidden in the launcher options

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Haruharuharuko posted:

Wouldn't the patcher just redownload it?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Zil posted:

Wouldn't the patcher just redownload it?

I will try that but my map was full but i clicked clear map because i accidentally drew on it and it deleted the whole thing

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

There is also the maps site that has custom labeled ones

http://www.eqmaps.info

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Zil posted:

There is also the maps site that has custom labeled ones

http://www.eqmaps.info

So i grabbed that and now I have labels but no lines ack

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Haruharuharuko posted:

So i grabbed that and now I have labels but no lines ack

edit: didnt work

Edit 2: Deleted my character holy hell and new version is fine jeez Im an idiot thanks all

Haruharuharuko fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 31, 2021

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

So, got our crew to 59 finally (worked picked up a shitload so we stalled out for like a month), what's a decent guild to join at this point? Looks like there's been some top end drama or something as I no longer see faceless around.

We're not down for bat phoning, though the guy I play with has more time than me, I can raid a few nights a week + maybe an off-night thing or two.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

I feel like I should turn in some kind of card or something i didn't have the base layer of the map on.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

that's actually how you receive your EQ nerd card these days, you get a seal added to the corner the first time you learn how to use the height filter to navigate vertical zones where the map is just line vomit on top of line vomit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

blatman posted:

that's actually how you receive your EQ nerd card these days, you get a seal added to the corner the first time you learn how to use the height filter to navigate vertical zones where the map is just line vomit on top of line vomit

All the downloadable maps use a single layer, it's super loving annoying.