Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they should prorate all teleport costs by proximity to your nearest cheap teleport location so as to build in the potential savings from doing multiple teleports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

Begemot posted:

Even when I'm destitute after buying a fancy new glamour weapon, even 999 gil teleport fees aren't worth worrying about. You get so much just from doing duty roulettes, a mere 1k is nothing.

My brain likes being frugal and being efficient. Which can conflict. But uh, the loading screens are pretty fast!

Thank you all for the suggestions. I just unlocked the weekly clan hunts yesterday and I'll be working on flight for the HW maps and doing the hunts soon.

Those maps really feel like they were made for flight. Reminded me of the Heart of Thorn maps in GW2 and verticality.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
There's nothing wrong with getting aetheryte tickets for the long teleports or trying to be a bit frugal in the early stages, but long term regardless of how you develop your character there's going to be a few ways you can easily get your travel budget knocked out with a minimum of effort. That could be hunts, roulettes, gathering and selling a treasure map for mid 5 figures (or using it!), levequest turnins, etc.

I take advantage of a feature that opens up in later SB to unload 20k of Allagan coins each week for 40k gil, which is generally more than enough of a transport budget to write the whole thing off. Other folks turn in cookies to a npc to the tune of 1-2m gil for 100 leves. Some folks farm consumables in the SHB relic zones and resell them.

End of the day do what works for you but don't go overboard in trying to save a few gil if it takes up a bunch of your time and energy in the process.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Super No Vacancy posted:

they should prorate all teleport costs by proximity to your nearest cheap teleport location so as to build in the potential savings from doing multiple teleports

It would be a win-win. Lower cost for us, lower server load for them since I don’t need to zone into Kugane for three seconds.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

What's the trick to crafting? Been leveling culinarian and trying to get hq food for turn ins sucks. It just feels like a whole lot of gambling on 50% success rate skills, at least around level 18ish where I am now.

Crafting and gathering is one whole Thing with eleven experience bars; there's a reason they buffed the EXP gain on those classes fairly recently.

Everything you'll be doing with them will, after level 10 or so, expect you to have HQ gear in at least some slots, to have some HQ materials. At (much) higher levels, they'll be expecting you to have at least some materia melded in as well, and be using HQ food.

The thing is, you get these things by leveling up your crafters and gatherers and making stuff. You don't really work on just one DoH/L. You can, of course, but you'll be making up the stuff you can't craft/gather through luck or buying off the market board.

If you're crafting an at-level recipe and you're not easily HQing it, these are the steps you follow:

1) Is your gear HQ and up to date? Again, you'll be expected to have HQ gear, especially on your tools. Crafting isn't like a combat job, where NQ vendor gear is Good Enough to handle the content. NQ gear is a bootstrap you spend gil on in order to make it easier to craft curent at-level gear.

2) If your gear is up to date, are you using food? Food in general, but especially HQ food can make the difference between an 80% HQ chance and a 100% HQ chance, just by virtue of fitting an extra Basic Touch in. All crafting food will boost one stat by a larger amount and another stat by a smaller amount. Typically you'll want to boost CP but depending on the actions you're using you could see better results from Craftsmanship or Control; what matters most, though, is that you use food.

3) If your gear is up to date and you're eating good food for your level, you can try melding some materia. This should only be necessary once you get to the high 40s and into the 50s, but more stats (especially CP!) can only help.

4) Use HQ materials. Having all HQ materials is usually a "free" HQ craft, which is why being able to gather HQ materials and make HQ intermediates is such a big deal. It's also why endgame (and formerly endgame) crafting recipes have some materials that only come in NQ.

5) Lastly, try just messing around with different actions. Every crafting action is about sacrificing
some resource in order to boost up another number. Innovation, for example, boosts your Quality gain without using more Durability, but at the cost of CP. At sub-50 levels there's less flexibility, of course, but there's still stuff like Inner Quiet and Standard Touch that you can experiment with. As a general rule, if you're finishing a craft with the Quality bar not full but you have Durability and/or CP remaining, chances are you could have done stuff differently in order to get better numbers.

Even if it seems like all these tips will only provide small gains, the thing you have to remember is that crafting works off of discrete breakpoints. If ten points of Craftsmanship means you use one less Basic Synthesis, then you can get in another Basic Touch. Ten more CP might mean you can do a Basic Touch instead of a Hasty Touch, or it might mean you can Observe and fish for Tricks of the Trade to try and squeeze in a Basic instead of a Hasty, etc..

Now, an important note should be made: Culinarian only makes food, and Fisher only gives fish, which is predominantly just used in Culnarian recipes (not entirely, but very close to it). Since you can buy decent enough crafting food for most purposes from NPC vendors, it's entirely possible to skip Culinarian and Fisher and focus on the other nine classes and save a bit of energy. That said, Fisher levels ludicrously fast and leveling Culinarian will just require you to keep up to date on your frying pan and knife, so you're not saving as much effort as you think.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Chillgamesh posted:

I've burnt through hundreds of tickets and even if you consider my average cost on them to be around 400 gil it's still a few hundred thousand gil. Considering everything that pays out allied seals also pays out something else and takes extremely minimal time and effort, it's not nothing.

Ballers don’t clip coupons.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Doom Rooster posted:

Ballers don’t clip coupons.

*Nervously looks at stack of 600 aetheryte tickets and strategically placed web of favored/free TP points*

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Vandar posted:

God that whole section was pain.

And then at the end of it they pull the twist LOL WE WERE JUST TESTING YOU and I'm like gently caress OFF the realm is at stake you assholes! :argh:

Psh you got there in plenty of time. And you got a really nice meal to boot!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
tbh it's probably wasteful but I get annoyed with aetheryte tickets because they prompt you every time you try to teleport if you want to use them, regardless of what the cost is.

I'm OK spending 25 gil to teleport to the DGKK estate from Ul'dah, game, please stop asking me

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Tortolia posted:

tbh it's probably wasteful but I get annoyed with aetheryte tickets because they prompt you every time you try to teleport if you want to use them, regardless of what the cost is.

I'm OK spending 25 gil to teleport to the DGKK estate from Ul'dah, game, please stop asking me

Yeah, I much prefer how the GC Aetheryte Tickets were implemented, where you just use them to do the teleport.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I have discovered new SECRET BLU LEVELING TECH, that allows you to mooch off players of any class, not just healers.

YOU WILL NEED:

1) The spell "Sticky Tongue", gained from level 14 Toxic Toad in Central Thanalan and many other toad varieties.
2) a high level friend.

Target mob. Use Sticky Tongue, which appears to always hit and, more importantly, draws the mob into range and stuns it. The stun keeps it from immediately curbstomping you, and your high level buddy can kill whatever it is before it recovers. The benefit to this is that you don't have to have a healer buddy babysitting you and you don't need to worry about regen wearing off and you eating poo poo; the downside is that you can only ever target one monster at a time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Running around and using Flying Sardine which is instant cast is easier and faster imo. As long as you're targeting enemies without a ranged attack you should be fine. Grab up a decent size group while staying out of range and have your friend take 'em out before they reach you.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Regy Rusty posted:

Running around and using Flying Sardine which is instant cast is easier and faster imo. As long as you're targeting enemies without a ranged attack you should be fine. Grab up a decent size group while staying out of range and have your friend take 'em out before they reach you.

The problem the buddy I was powerleveling had was that he kept missing, and sticky tongue doesn't seem to miss.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Leraika posted:

The problem the buddy I was powerleveling had was that he kept missing, and sticky tongue doesn't seem to miss.

You don't have to connect a hit with it to tag it and thus gain full EXP from it, as far as I know. I had a friend powerlevel me from 15-50 in North Thanalan, and all I did was run around spamming Flying Sardine with a level 80 SCH shield covering my rear end while he killed whatever I aggroed.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Vermain posted:

You don't have to connect a hit with it to tag it and thus gain full EXP from it, as far as I know. I had a friend powerlevel me from 15-50 in North Thanalan, and all I did was run around spamming Flying Sardine with a level 80 SCH shield covering my rear end while he killed whatever I aggroed.

This is my experience as well, and it doesn't even have to be a damaging spell. I didn't have fish so I was pulling with acorn bomb

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

The best place to powerlevel a BLU (though it might not be available to a lot of folks here) is Kholusia in Shadowbringers. There's a loop with a lighthouse on one end near the South end of the map. A level 80 ranged DPS job can tear through stuff after you tag it. You can get a Blue Mage from 1 to 70 in less than 2 hours.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah you don't have to hit, even a miss will tag and aggro. My friend and I did it for each other as Machinists for ease of being able to quickly kill anything from range.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does this only work for BLU? What’s the difference between that and other classes? I only see this sort of classic power levelling recommended for BLU, so I bet there’s something about it I’m missing.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Subjunctive posted:

Does this only work for BLU? What’s the difference between that and other classes? I only see this sort of classic power levelling recommended for BLU, so I bet there’s something about it I’m missing.

Blue mages get massively boosted experiences from killing enemies

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Piell posted:

Blue mages get massively boosted experiences from killing enemies

Well that would do it! Thank you!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah Blue Mage doesn't have access to any of the usual levelling tools like roulettes, and since their whole concept is based around killing enemies to gain their powers they just get tons of experience from overworld enemies.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The other thing is that since BLU is a "gotta collect them all" job there's no inherent value to level slowly with it like other jobs that give defined skills at different levels and have specific rotations to learn. A significant number of spells in their book come from 50+ dungeons, trials and raids, plus you have to be 50 to do the Masked Carnivale.

So getting powerlevelled just speeds up how quickly you get to the meat of the job.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I've seen some people argue that its more fun to level gradually and get the spells along the way but... I dunno I much rather get to level cap and then grab spells at my leisure.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I guess I can see that argument too, I just find that a lot of the fun spells and combos really take off in the HW and SB areas.

So don't let us tell you powerleveling BLU is the only way to do it, but there's also zero stigma about having folks boost you up either if you have any concerns there.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
You're not really saving that much time since BLU's kill xp is so high. I'm not 70, but getting to 50 on release by going on a world tour getting all the spells and murdering everything I met along the way took me 3 hours. It was pretty relaxed and varied, since you swap zones every 15 mins or so. Powerleveling and then touring would've saved me maybe an hour, max. To do it I'd need to go bother a friend, and I'd have found it way more boring. If you really hate the idea of unassisted random murder and have someone you'd like to shoot the poo poo with while shooting poo poo with then sure, go for it, but just leveling BLU the regular way isn't particularly onerous.

One note if you're doing BLU unassisted: do not do FATEs. FATE mobs give very little xp on kill, and all your xp is from kills. Actively avoid them unless they have a spell you want.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Xerophyte posted:

You're not really saving that much time since BLU's kill xp is so high. I'm not 70, but getting to 50 on release by going on a world tour getting all the spells and murdering everything I met along the way took me 3 hours. It was pretty relaxed and varied, since you swap zones every 15 mins or so. Powerleveling and then touring would've saved me maybe an hour, max. To do it I'd need to go bother a friend, and I'd have found it way more boring. If you really hate the idea of unassisted random murder and have someone you'd like to shoot the poo poo with while shooting poo poo with then sure, go for it, but just leveling BLU the regular way isn't particularly onerous.

I'm enjoying leveling BLU this way too, currently 35. Did you follow a set path to maximize learning along the way, or just figure out the next level-appropriate zone as it came up? And what level of enemies did you shoot for? I've been having good results going for +3 or so, any more than that and 1000 Needles starts missing too often for my liking.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Nibble posted:

I'm enjoying leveling BLU this way too, currently 35. Did you follow a set path to maximize learning along the way, or just figure out the next level-appropriate zone as it came up? And what level of enemies did you shoot for? I've been having good results going for +3 or so, any more than that and 1000 Needles starts missing too often for my liking.

I had one of the wiki Spell Learning Guides up, sorted it by world mob level and went to the zones that had my next target spell in it. Then I killed things there until I'd learned the spell and hit the level of the next target. This may have occasionally been inefficient but, eh, whatever. I don't remember exactly what I did for the 30-45 dry stretch but I did not have any particular plan there either. I just killed whatever was convenient or in the way and swapped zones when I got bored, like a true murderhobo.

I don't think I had any hard rules for level targets. Normally you'd avoid anything over your level but Thousand Needles makes it a little weird while it's relevant.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
If I remember right, I think I did a good chunk of my Blue Mage levels from 40-50 doing the ARR Beast Tribe dailies. Yes, the quest turn-ins themselves aren't worth much, nor were the FATEs I had to do for some of them, but since most of the quests required me to wade through tons of hostile mobs and flying in ARR wasn't a thing in those days, I figured, "Why not? This way I get Blue Mage leveled up and get these quests knocked out so that I have full access to the vendors and get to see their stories. Win-win."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Most of that phase for me was out in Northern Thanalan just grinding mobs and saying "can I kill Gorgimera yet? ...nope. How about now?" partially for the challenge and partially to get the spells.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

W.T. Fits posted:

If I remember right, I think I did a good chunk of my Blue Mage levels from 40-50 doing the ARR Beast Tribe dailies. Yes, the quest turn-ins themselves aren't worth much, nor were the FATEs I had to do for some of them, but since most of the quests required me to wade through tons of hostile mobs and flying in ARR wasn't a thing in those days, I figured, "Why not? This way I get Blue Mage leveled up and get these quests knocked out so that I have full access to the vendors and get to see their stories. Win-win."

This is actually a really clever approach and worth looking at.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
So I've been playing for the last few weeks, getting into this from WoW. I really wanted to play Dark Knight since I played Death Knight in WoW, and even if the MSQ seemed daunting, I decided to barrel through it.

Last weekend I wrapped up all the post-ARR stuff and got into Heavensward, then spent a couple days in the dungeon roulette getting back to 50. Dark Knight is a blast and I really enjoy it, even if I miss some of my Warrior buttons now. Also the DRK quests from 30-50 were great and I loved the culmination for that set of quests l.

Story is fun, game is fun, had a rando tell me my tanking was great cuz we blitzed Stone Vigil in like 15 minutes

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Skypie posted:

So I've been playing for the last few weeks, getting into this from WoW. I really wanted to play Dark Knight since I played Death Knight in WoW, and even if the MSQ seemed daunting, I decided to barrel through it.

Last weekend I wrapped up all the post-ARR stuff and got into Heavensward, then spent a couple days in the dungeon roulette getting back to 50. Dark Knight is a blast and I really enjoy it, even if I miss some of my Warrior buttons now. Also the DRK quests from 30-50 were great and I loved the culmination for that set of quests l.

Story is fun, game is fun, had a rando tell me my tanking was great cuz we blitzed Stone Vigil in like 15 minutes

The kind of new player success story we love to hear

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

The kind of new player success story we love to hear

Yeah but what you aren't hearing is when I died like 4 times on one pull of the first boss in Qarn cuz I got nuked by bees and didn't understand how the Doom debuff worked for that fight :v:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Man the difference in quality and engagement with the story from ARR to HW is incredible. I mean I know it's critical for you to develop into the WoL and have the journey along the way but so much of ARR felt so skippable and I'm hanging on every cutscene of HW.

I've also officially switched from WAR main to WHM main. I loved tanking in my WoW days, but tanking here is honestly too easy. Pull big, hit a cooldown, spam AoE moves. For bosses just do a normal dps rotation and get out of attacks. Threat comes way too easily and there's no real resource management outside long cooldowns so I just feel like a weaker dps.

Healing is so much more engaging as you balance dps vs healing, manage mp and hot or shield uptime, and deal with cast bars vs. Moving out of aoes. I also like the idea of the Warrior of Light bring powerful because she empowers her companions rather than being a solo act. Jives better with the shift from being alone in cutscenes to party play in instances.

Skypie posted:

Yeah but what you aren't hearing is when I died like 4 times on one pull of the first boss in Qarn cuz I got nuked by bees and didn't understand how the Doom debuff worked for that fight :v:

Are you me? I had this exact experience a few nights ago. No one explained the doom until after I died (tanking) and then the next 2 wipes just no one killed the bees. Healer was a brat who kept telling me I was squishy which I declared impossible because I'm synced down. Which I confirmed when I healed it the next night and the tank had the exact same hp as I did.

SynthesisAlpha fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 31, 2021

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Tanking is definitely the easiest role but it does get more complex at higher levels. Paladins have a rigid rotation they have to nail, Gunbreakers have a very fun burst, Dark Knights have a cooldown where you get a massive overshield that you want to break because it lets you cast a dps spell that normally costs 3k MP for free, and Warrior has to line up their lifesteal cooldown with their burst skills.

Also yeah, Final Sting does a fuckload of damage no matter what content you're in. Stun the bees if you can't kill them!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Skypie posted:

Bees are 90% on healer and dps, and the Doom death is a rite of passage so sounds like you're right on track

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Skypie posted:

Hah, that fight is the one I ALWAYS explain, even if there are no sprouts. It's so unintuitive.

"Remember to kill bees asap, and step on glowy tiles to clear doom"

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Man the difference in quality and engagement with the story from ARR to HW is incredible. I mean I know it's critical for you to develop into the WoL and have the journey along the way but so much of ARR felt so skippable and I'm hanging on every cutscene of HW.

I've also officially switched from WAR main to WHM main. I loved tanking in my WoW days, but tanking here is honestly too easy. Pull big, hit a cooldown, spam AoE moves. For bosses just do a normal dps rotation and get out of attacks. Threat comes way too easily and there's no real resource management outside long cooldowns so I just feel like a weaker dps.

Healing is so much more engaging as you balance dps vs healing, manage mp and hot or shield uptime, and deal with cast bars vs. Moving out of aoes. I also like the idea of the Warrior of Light bring powerful because she empowers her companions rather than being a solo act. Jives better with the shift from being alone in cutscenes to party play in instances.

Are you me? I had this exact experience a few nights ago. No one explained the doom until after I died (tanking) and then the next 2 wipes just no one killed the bees. Healer was a brat who kept telling me I was squishy which I declared impossible because I'm synced down. Which I confirmed when I healed it the next night and the tank had the exact same hp as I did.

For me, WAR felt very straight forward, although I liked working the normal combos with Beast Gauge abilities. DRK feels a bit more interesting cuz I have less self-sustain and moves that need MP so there's more going on. I also don't feel it's particularly worse than WoW with threat since in either game, I can run in and pop AoE things then just cycle single target to hold threat.

I need to faff with the interface though, I am desperately missing my fancy nameplate mods from WoW to help me see various casts and such.

Also nobody in my dungeon run told me about Doom at all, I looked up the dungeon afterward and was like "aha, so that's the trick" and never had any more trouble. Two runs later though, we wiped like 3 times cuz neither dps would cleanse themselves despite the healer saying "please get on the lit up square, I cannot save you from this debuff"

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Doom is a weird debuff because there isn't a single universal way to mitigate it.

Sometimes, like Qarn, it is removed by standing on a particular spot in the room.
Sometimes it's a straight cleansable debuff that a healer or bard has to remove from you.
Sometimes you have to be healed to max health.
There's even one fight I can think of where people have to "die" by taking a hit that would drop them below 1 HP in order for it to fall off.

So don't feel bad about getting caught by it, and if you're doing content you know with someone who's new in the instance make sure you notify them how it works in the respective encounter since it's not cut and dried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

And in at least one piece of side content Doom is a punishment for failing mechanics, regardless of actual HP amounts.