Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Gearman posted:

Holy poo poo that owns. That gets my pick for next thread title.

I'm honoured and hope it becomes that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Gearman posted:

Holy poo poo that owns. That gets my pick for next thread title.

:yeah:

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

Slice & Dice
2. I bumped up the UI zoom and sometime the dice is covered by the mana count. Can usually get an edge to select the dice but wanted to flag.

You can also tap the hero whose dice it is to hold it.

I just got this Slice ampersand Dice game yesterday and it's a fantastic gem amid a sea of garbage mobile games. The core loop feels great as does discovering little synergies as I go. I don't think it has the insane depth and replayability of something like slay the spire, but I'm sure I'll get at least a few dozen hours out of it. P.S. the save button that does nothing is quietly good UI design.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

and the claw won! posted:

You can also tap the hero whose dice it is to hold it.

I just got this Slice ampersand Dice game yesterday and it's a fantastic gem amid a sea of garbage mobile games. The core loop feels great as does discovering little synergies as I go. I don't think it has the insane depth and replayability of something like slay the spire, but I'm sure I'll get at least a few dozen hours out of it. P.S. the save button that does nothing is quietly good UI design.

Yea, the little synergies are the only way I can even beat hard.

Like getting a class with a growth thing and fertilizer. Or adding a growth attack and fertilizer with a class that has some cruel attack or if you're fighting a boss that summons things, having an engage attack.

Or the cantrip mana class with the thing that increases all mana sides by +1.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

What's the current best picross game? I noticed hungry cat in the OP but I don't mind something that is not free to play if that means a better overall experience.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Cactus posted:

What's the current best picross game? I noticed hungry cat in the OP but I don't mind something that is not free to play if that means a better overall experience.

The Konami one rules.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.konami.mo.pvt.aww&hl=en_US&gl=US

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Nonograms Katana is the best, but the Konami one is "surprisingly good" and full of nostalgia.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

okay, ya, slice & dice is great. really hope it blows up for you tann.

barely scraped through my first hard run using dice resets to repeatedly cast undying, an ability that prevents hp from hitting zero, while the big satan wailed on my tender, immortal archer.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

CainFortea posted:

Yea, the little synergies are the only way I can even beat hard.

Like getting a class with a growth thing and fertilizer. Or adding a growth attack and fertilizer with a class that has some cruel attack or if you're fighting a boss that summons things, having an engage attack.

Or the cantrip mana class with the thing that increases all mana sides by +1.

Some of the fun combinations I've found:

* Any time you can get Second Chance (Leader, Chronos, or an equip you can obtain), get it. Being able to repeat another character's action is extremely powerful, especially when it's something that hits insanely hard, or has Growth on it (so it builds up twice), or has a multiplier (like Weaver's 2x-your-current-mana, or Venom's 3x enemy poison).

* Zap (from Sparky) is a nice little spell for crowd control; 3 mana to kill anything with exactly 4 HP. Perfect for disposing of Bones, Imps, Spiders and another annoying minion types. Beam (from Evoker) hits the back row and cleans out things like Snipers.

* Sharp Wit (equippable item) turns your mana sides into weapons and triples them. All of a sudden, your stage 3 wizard is a bad-rear end swordsman.

* A high shield with a cleave equip. Rampage weapons (reusable once you kill someone with them) with boosts powering them up. Spamming max-HP hearts with Demon Heart (1 damage to everyone if you save someone). The Hack spell (equippable item) turns Xs into 4-damage swords, so that a bad roll can be cheaply turned into a great one.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

my literal only complaint about Slice & Dice is that right when I finally feel like I'm getting some fun and cool synergies and abilities, I've won and the game is over, which makes me sad cause I want to play with these dudes more

the game is great, is basically what I'm saying

e: I got an item that removed the single-use tag and then my wizard became an artificer :getin:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

Nonograms Katana is the best, but the Konami one is "surprisingly good" and full of nostalgia.

I'll try them both, sounds like a good starting point. Never played a picross game before ever, believe it or not.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Epic Seven is kicking off a giant pile of free poo poo Monday for their Anniversary. Give it a shot. Its fun. Free RGB 5 Star Selector. Combined with the Rise update you can start a new account and literally grab a free ML5 out of six to choose from and enjoy a rocket ride to current content. We got an active discord check out the thread and we can help. Started doing some pvp fight nights for fun using the RTA lobbies. This is hands down the best Mobile game on the market and easily the most F2P friendly.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Thanks for sharing all your slice & dice feedback, it's cool hearing about people having fun with my game :)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The little things make SnD stand out for me. For instance, archers that attack you fire physical arrows that stick into the character placard and persist for the whole fight.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tann posted:

Thanks for sharing all your slice & dice feedback, it's cool hearing about people having fun with my game :)

I love Slice and Dice, but I have a minor complaint! :ohdear:

There's something slightly amiss with this picture. Try to guess!

The number/power of the heart is blocked by the blue mana icons at the bottom.

I have no suggestions on how to remedy this, but I figured I'd let you know either way. :shobon:

Either way, I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

lol, I did make the mana tuck in during rolling but everyone reported it as a bug so I reverted it. Maybe I'll find some other solution!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tann posted:

lol, I did make the mana tuck in during rolling but everyone reported it as a bug so I reverted it. Maybe I'll find some other solution!

Ah, weird. Well, the only real option I can think of is to either put the mana next to the spells (maybe turn it 90°?) or make an invisible barrier around it so the dice can't land there?

Either way, like I said, small complaint but I figured you'd want to know about it.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

There's something slightly amiss with this picture. Try to guess!

The number/power of the heart is blocked by the blue mana icons at the bottom.

I have no suggestions on how to remedy this, but I figured I'd let you know either way. :shobon:

Either way, I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

when I have this happen, I just temporarily select the die, and you can see it in the hero's box it goes into.

it's not ideal but it's something :shobon:

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I think you can also long press on the die that is on the board to get its full info.

I've also been digging S&D since I purchased it. It's very addictive so nice work!

My related suggestion to the comment about just finally getting the right synergies would be something like an endless or endurance mode?

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Alucard posted:

I think you can also long press on the die that is on the board to get its full info.

I've also been digging S&D since I purchased it. It's very addictive so nice work!

My related suggestion to the comment about just finally getting the right synergies would be something like an endless or endurance mode?

This exists (in a way), there's a mode called "cursed" that is infinite and just loops with additional curses and blessings as you go. It's a lot of fun, the curses add an extra challenge and the blessings are something you can build around. I think going beyond level 20 with the existing characters/equipment you have would require more classes/equipment/harder monsters or else it would just be boring. Personally, I think the 20 levels is the perfect length where you get payoff from your builds without overstaying it's welcome.

Also, one of my favorite things about S&D is that it's a really great balance of randomness and strategy/skill. Games with too much random gets annoying, but this feels like you still have some ability to work with or around the randomness.

What I'm trying to say is that I can't stop playing.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
its good

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
also if you tap a die and then tap the hero to put it back it goes to the middle of the screen

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

someone awful. posted:

my literal only complaint about Slice & Dice is that right when I finally feel like I'm getting some fun and cool synergies and abilities, I've won and the game is over, which makes me sad cause I want to play with these dudes more

the game is great, is basically what I'm saying

e: I got an item that removed the single-use tag and then my wizard became an artificer :getin:

E: I'm dumb and thought there were level 4 heros

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I bounced off Hungry Cat, personally, because its particular variant of Picross is just different enough from everyone else's that it really messes with my head--namely that all colors listed in a clue are non-contiguous by default unless they are circled, and their order in the clue has no bearing on the order or even number of groups of cells in the row or column.

If you can get over that though it seems to have a ton of staying power.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing

delfin posted:

Some of the fun combinations I've found:

* Any time you can get Second Chance (Leader, Chronos, or an equip you can obtain), get it. Being able to repeat another character's action is extremely powerful, especially when it's something that hits insanely hard, or has Growth on it (so it builds up twice), or has a multiplier (like Weaver's 2x-your-current-mana, or Venom's 3x enemy poison).

* Zap (from Sparky) is a nice little spell for crowd control; 3 mana to kill anything with exactly 4 HP. Perfect for disposing of Bones, Imps, Spiders and another annoying minion types. Beam (from Evoker) hits the back row and cleans out things like Snipers.

* Sharp Wit (equippable item) turns your mana sides into weapons and triples them. All of a sudden, your stage 3 wizard is a bad-rear end swordsman.

* A high shield with a cleave equip. Rampage weapons (reusable once you kill someone with them) with boosts powering them up. Spamming max-HP hearts with Demon Heart (1 damage to everyone if you save someone). The Hack spell (equippable item) turns Xs into 4-damage swords, so that a bad roll can be cheaply turned into a great one.

The absolute best combination I've got has been keeper with an Angel Feather, adding rescue to top and bottom sides which give undying. I had no business winning the run I got this on, but landing either of those two sides guaranteed my whole team staying alive despite everyone having 10+ poison and taking even more damage.

N:thing the game being really great! Good job!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, I'm about to buy Slice and Dice, and the answer here won't deter me from it but is there zero meta progression between runs? Is that what was mentioned before? Having something like that would make the game perfect in my eyes, but without it, it's still a drat fine game.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Ok, I'm about to buy Slice and Dice, and the answer here won't deter me from it but is there zero meta progression between runs? Is that what was mentioned before? Having something like that would make the game perfect in my eyes, but without it, it's still a drat fine game.

Achievements unlock new items for future runs, but that's about it. You start from level 1 every time, with no items and basic classes.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Tann posted:

I found another bug. I couldn't buy the full version of the game while a demo run was still going.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

The new animations for upcoming heroes look sick. Belian is gonna be a new gatekeeper for sure after the rough time clearing Faustus in Episode 2 final. She might finally kill Ras now that he is mortal lol. They did mention we are getting a new Main Character for Episode 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcAf6xWVt0Y

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lowness 72 posted:

E: I'm dumb and thought there were level 4 heros

Technically there is one.

Also, i've beaten hard 3 times in a row and done it with all 4 curses, so now Unfair seems slightly less daunting.

I still haven't beat unfair mind you.

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

You know, Maine has a really cool underground hip-hop scene...
Been loving slice and dice. What are some fun custom teams people have come up with? I feel like the original squad has good balance but I'm sure there's some ridiculous custom teams.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Chalk is Cheap posted:

Been loving slice and dice. What are some fun custom teams people have come up with? I feel like the original squad has good balance but I'm sure there's some ridiculous custom teams.

Full healer team can be hillariously easy mode. Get sooth and some classes with mana and you just never die. While your one shaman eventually grows their attack to silly high levels.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Chalk is Cheap posted:

All adepts so you can get a bunch of easy achievements.

I'm having trouble with the Full house achievement, anybody got a successful run for that?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Maaaan, I killed the lich at the end of the demo, and there were something like 8 skeletons, but I had the curator with the berserk ability (which I hadn't used until then), and took out EVERYONE without a scratch.

Wow.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Just came to say finally downloaded slice and dice after all the talk about it in the thread and it's fantastic! Is there an official write up or anything anywhere on it anywhere I can get any info on a meta? Other than this thread

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Woooo I finally beat normal mode of slice and dice.

The biggest thing I realize this run was how powerful deathwish is. I frequently had a berserker able to kill an enemy on turn 1. I could easily prevent the death by either having the berserker kill the enemy first or just some shield and max hp. I also managed to get a vampire with two 4 damage draining strike with death wish.

Also the trapper is amazing. Just a straight up 1/6 chance to kill anything with 4 hp or less per roll. For about 2/3 of the game I could wipe out mid size mobs with a 2 strike and a instant kill. Otherwise you just use to kill a small mob in the back row.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Shwqa posted:

I found another bug. I couldn't buy the full version of the game while a demo run was still going.

E: actually I'm just dumb I think. But wow, this game really hits a good level of randomness v strategy. Couldn't get into that other dice game the thread was into earlier but v different with this one for whatever reason.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Kind of digging Marvel Revolutions, not going to lie. If you played Lineage 2: Revolution its literally the same game just with a Marvel skin. Which is pretty great cause I played the poo poo of that and I didn't even like the setting that much.

Definitely very p2w though, especially in PvP. If that kind of thing bothers you, avoid. Still plenty of fun F2P as long as you don't mind not being the top dog.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

So um sorceress plus dragon's egg is totally busted. Turns out growth works on the cantrip dice. This only on normal difficulty but I imagine it would work anywhere.

Edit: those that don't play the game. You get three rerolls per turn. I had 205 before I got bored. And then I killed the final boss on turn 1. It is a infinite combo that depends on getting a few lucky rolls first.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Edit: Oh yea, that combo is rad.

Kris xK posted:

All adepts so you can get a bunch of easy achievements.

I'm having trouble with the Full house achievement, anybody got a successful run for that?

I did it on hard with 2 warriors and 3 acolytes.