Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

nomad2020 posted:

Up till a few hours ago we were collectively wondering if a bunch of glorified hills the Army put up were going to fail, which also doesn't really make sense in a sane world.

im fairly surprised they didnt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

aside from being the first president to support the Taliban, another thing you can lay at Jimmy Carter's door is killing domestic nuclear power and permitting nuclear proliferation abroad

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The AZ5 button in the American nuclear power plant just launches a drone strike on a Middle Eastern country

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

also jimmy shut down the government 5 times because of abortion? idk something I read

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

did they really build this freaking nuke plant 23 miles from downtown New Orleans and upstream of it on the Mississippi river??

with fukushima they started at 10, 20, 30km evacuation zones and eventually got up to nearly 50 miles radius recommended to evacuate. and it's still leaking stuff into the ocean to this day.

lmao

let's hope they keep those generators running and stocked with fuel!

look at this guy who thinks we could have built the plant downstream of New Orleans, a port on the coast :smug:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

brugroffil posted:

I think they need a week of on-site fuel for the diesels, it's covered in the regs somewhere. Fukashima happened because the generators were installed pretty low and got flooded and couldn't run. Since it doesn't seem like Waterford got flooded at all, let alone enough to make that happen, it'll be fine.

Yeah Fukashima was due to multiple "fail safe" system failing at the same time.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

bedpan posted:

aside from being the first president to support the Taliban, another thing you can lay at Jimmy Carter's door is killing domestic nuclear power and permitting nuclear proliferation abroad

also supporting genocide in East Timor and really marking the death of the New Deal coalition.

Jimmy Carter was a very bad president who, much like George H.W. Bush, gets glossed over because he was a 1 termer and the directly preceding/succeeding president was far more studied.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Penisaurus Sex posted:

also supporting genocide in East Timor and really marking the death of the New Deal coalition.

Jimmy Carter was a very bad president who, much like George H.W. Bush, gets glossed over because he was a 1 termer and the directly preceding/succeeding president was far more studied.

my boomer parents still speak fondly of Jimmy Carter

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I will never stop loling at how there is a major nuclear reactor incident every 15 years and every time they say "no no no we redesigned it so that accident is impossible! u just don't understand atoms!" Please don't pay attention to all the uranium dust spewing everywhere in the refining process and the weapons grade plutonium we just keep accidentally spilling, all that is not part of what I define as nuclear therefore nuclear is the best energy of all.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Somehow I don't think a psychotic right wing white reactionary screaming at a black meteorologist is the fightback against capital media we need but feel free to "shut the gently caress up liberal" me I crave it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

a zero carbon future absolutely requires a robust nuclear infrastructure, dude. can't just bury your head in the sand over it because you're scared of ATOMS

thats cool but what part of your plan requires posting about it in the cspam weather thread?

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Real hurthling! posted:

thats cool but what part of your plan requires posting about it in the cspam weather thread?

when people think a nuclear power plant is going to fukushima new orleans due to the most recent major hurricane????????? idgi its not like this was out of nowhere

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Time to check out of this thread until the next hundred year weather event sometime this week.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pryor on Fire posted:

I will never stop loling at how there is a major nuclear reactor incident every 15 years and every time they say "no no no we redesigned it so that accident is impossible! u just don't understand atoms!" Please don't pay attention to all the uranium dust spewing everywhere in the refining process and the weapons grade plutonium we just keep accidentally spilling, all that is not part of what I define as nuclear therefore nuclear is the best energy of all.

wait until this guy finds out how much radiation pollution comes from coal plants

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

etalian posted:

Yeah Fukashima was due to multiple "fail safe" system failing at the same time.

fukushima was because the company ignored warnings that their diesel generators would get flooded in a tsunami, and then their diesel generators got flooded in a tsunami

properly regulated nukes would be great, but government in the united states can't do proper regulation, and having a private company take the profits while the risks are carried entirely by the people living in the potential 20-mile exclusion zone is a bad proposition to me

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Time to check out of this thread until the next hundred year weather event sometime this week.

California never stopped burning down this entire time

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Dustcat posted:

it's a good thing that for every anti nuke knee jerk there's a guy who's super into nukes and will not shut the gently caress up about how great they are

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

lol Lake Charles still hasn't gotten supplemental disaster aid New Orleans is hosed

https://twitter.com/BlakePater/status/1432402622510678027

Lady of the Sea General Hospital :shepface:

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

can't believe the Mistress of the Briny Deep Hospital disappeared under the waves

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

weird, it looks like the present to me

another bad take

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

Somehow I don't think a psychotic right wing white reactionary screaming at a black meteorologist is the fightback against capital media we need but feel free to "shut the gently caress up liberal" me I crave it

Yeah I'm not sure frantically clinging to every screaming lunatic as a potential ally is going to go well in America

Most of them are, well, very bad

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I'd personally like to thank the large oil company CEOs for ensuring not a single drop of oil was spilled in the gulf of Mexico during this crisis

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

SKULL.GIF posted:

wait until this guy finds out how much radiation pollution comes from coal plants

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

If you contrarians don’t want to acknowledge that Trumpists are getting wilder and more openly threatening, just because I said it, go right ahead.

But don’t worry, I got a haircut Saturday wearing a mask in a fully vaxed and masked salon, so I’m probably already dead.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

a zero carbon future absolutely requires a robust nuclear infrastructure, dude. can't just bury your head in the sand over it because you're scared of ATOMS

I'm the guy who died from solar energy.

Wicked sunburnt

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Fukishima was hit by an earthquake and a tsunami, and then suffered a massive steam explosion that led to a meltdown, and it still only killed like 2 people and cancer rates in the surrounding area have barely even changed. the amount of radiation leaking is minimal compared to the loving insane amount of radiation coal plants bellow into the atmosphere and environment.

For comparison, the West, Texas plant explosion killed 15 people and injured 200+ people and spewed toxic material all over the loving place. The Texas City refinery explosion in 2005 also killed/injured a very similar number of people, and also spread toxic carcinogens in a wide swathe of land.

Nuclear accidents are insanely rare by comparison to similar accidents related to fossil fuels and their demonization is entirely fueled by propaganda from the fossil fuel industry

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

MadJackal posted:

If you contrarians don’t want to acknowledge that Trumpists are getting wilder and more openly threatening, just because I said it, go right ahead.

But don’t worry, I got a haircut Saturday wearing a mask in a fully vaxed and masked salon, so I’m probably already dead.

everyone posting in C-SPAM is a contrarian, that's what the C stands for

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Fukishima was hit by an earthquake and a tsunami, and then suffered a massive steam explosion that led to a meltdown, and it still only killed like 2 people and cancer rates in the surrounding area have barely even changed. the amount of radiation leaking is minimal compared to the loving insane amount of radiation coal plants bellow into the atmosphere and environment.

For comparison, the West, Texas plant explosion killed 15 people and injured 200+ people and spewed toxic material all over the loving place. The Texas City refinery explosion in 2005 also killed/injured a very similar number of people, and also spread toxic carcinogens in a wide swathe of land.

Nuclear accidents are insanely rare by comparison to similar accidents related to fossil fuels and their demonization is entirely fueled by propaganda from the fossil fuel industry

After Fukashima, US utilities had to spend billions upgrading to prevent any sort of similar failure. Similar for security upgrades after 9/11.

After West, TX, US chemical companies didn't have to do poo poo. Probably got deregulated some more.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

everyone posting in C-SPAM is a contrarian, that's what the C stands for

I don't believe you.

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

Dustcat posted:

it's a good thing that for every anti nuke knee jerk there's a guy who's super into nukes and will not shut the gently caress up about how great they are

"super into nuclear power guy" is such a classic 2000s-era internet forum guy that I find it endearing. One of the few of those archetypes still around and going strong, having the exact same argument for two decades straight. It's like if there were still edgy atheists popping up occasionally to talk about the flying spaghetti monster.

(nb i am also a nuclear power guy)

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

MadJackal posted:

Too bad you didnt get one in nola last night

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
nuclear power is cool and good and thank god its the year 1960 which will be early enough to start building sufficient nuke plants to take over the bulk of the US power grid and help prevent the worst consequences of this global warming thing

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

MadJackal posted:

hey man why is delta so bad? i thought covid was over

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

The Oldest Man posted:

gently caress reactionaries AND the media hth

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Derek Fcking Carr posted:

I'd personally like to thank the large oil company CEOs for ensuring not a single drop of oil was spilled in the gulf of Mexico during this crisis

time to get some extra cajun style shrimp and grits

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

MLSM posted:

gently caress reactionaries AND the media hth

thank you poster M(l)SM

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

slippery doc posted:

"super into nuclear power guy" is such a classic 2000s-era internet forum guy that I find it endearing. One of the few of those archetypes still around and going strong, having the exact same argument for two decades straight. It's like if there were still edgy atheists popping up occasionally to talk about the flying spaghetti monster.

(nb i am also a nuclear power guy)

Can I be the guy that thinks light water reactors fundamentally suck and that molten salt reactors might not fundamentally suck? A deeper level of nerdom.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Aurubin posted:

Can I be the guy that thinks light water reactors fundamentally suck and that molten salt reactors might not fundamentally suck? A deeper level of nerdom.

be the molten salt dude who gets really horny over a half realized technology

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

What about thorium reactors? Where do those fall on the scale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

why not combine two great ideas and build a molten thorium reactor