Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The amount of territory you need for expansionist stars seems a bit :psyduck: to me as well. Fifteen territories for a single star in the classical age? I've usually got about three cities for a total of nine territories by then. Builder and science stars seem much easier to come by. I just don't have the influence to take that much territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Clarste posted:

It's not that hard, you just have to go out of your way do to it. And you'll probably lose that game because it cripples you.

Would it cripple you, though? I think a mega city with like, K'uh Nahs, Three Sisters Plantations, Grand Mosques, Teatros and Congresses would probably outperform almost anyone in industry, food, science, money, and influence.

So like, Whoever->Maya->Ummayads->Haudenosaunee->Italians (Or French or Siamese)->Chinese seems like it would be a powerhouse gimmick.

The Congresses on that mega city, though. Imagine having a population on one city well into the triple digits and also everybody is employed.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 30, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I've beaten three games so far, trying to play in completely different ways each time:

-First game I went all in on pop, picked all the agrarian cultures. By midgame I had roughly a billion pop filling all the cities, which pushed all my numbers up and I snowballed hard completely blowing past the AI.
-Second game I turned the difficulty up and went all in on production, just spamming out makers quarters until the Contempory era then switching to Japan and going all in on Science. Snowballed, blew past the AI, won on tech.
-Third game I turned the difficulty up again and went all in on market quarters. By the early industrial I was making 20K a turn, by end game that was up to 70K. I had no production but it didn't matter because I could buy out every piece of infrastructure for new cities or entire stacks like it was nothing. Also managed to unify the world in a grand alliance, which gave me all the luxuries and trade routes. Snowballed, blew past the AI, etc etc.

The AI just seems completely ill-equiped to be even remotely a threat even on the higher difficulties. So much of the game is based on the yields you get from spamming and synergizing districts, and the AI just doesn't do any of that. No matter what you do it seems like around the early/late industrial you hit a point where you start exponentially going up and the AI doesn't, and from then on the game might as well be over. I don't know if I'm going to play again before there's a big balance patch, if I do it'll have to be some kind of challenge game like one city or no districts.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Can you buy multiple things in one turn in the same city?

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
Yes

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Ability to play the beta version is only available to Steam folks, yes? No luck for Game Pass players?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Can you buy multiple things in one turn in the same city?

Yes, with the sole caveat that you can only have one army's worth of units spawned til the tile fills up and you have to move it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
ok i'm starting to dislike war score. it becomes difficult or impossible to scrub out an enemy that's spawned and stolen land from you due to bugs or even just actively cheating and spawning a unit on a distant landmass Just Because. you declare war on them but because it's a surprise war they just demand whatever the hell they want from your empire and you can't do anything about it, because you can't grind down their warscore on account of otherwise, you exist on two completely different continents and nobody can cross ocean tiles yet.

also the rules for landing a unit on the shore seem ridiculously complicated. just let me loving land the unit it's a beach there's no trees god drat

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

cams posted:

Ability to play the beta version is only available to Steam folks, yes? No luck for Game Pass players?

I'm not sure where I'd start looking on Gamepass or Epic.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

They definitely need events to do a percentage-based effect and not a numeric one. I had a nuclear meltdown in one of my cities, and I had the option to evacuate it - which would make me lose 35 per turn of FIMS. That city was producing over 500 food, 7000 industry, 100 money, and 500 science.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

cams posted:

Correct.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Chamale posted:

They definitely need events to do a percentage-based effect and not a numeric one. I had a nuclear meltdown in one of my cities, and I had the option to evacuate it - which would make me lose 35 per turn of FIMS. That city was producing over 500 food, 7000 industry, 100 money, and 500 science.

Uranium enrichment tech!

+25 science per turn!

Costs 300,000 science!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gort posted:

Uranium enrichment tech!

+25 science per turn!

Costs 300,000 science!

I think that's a shoutout to Einstein moving to America, not something meant as a noticeable benefit.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the gold penalties also seem hilariously low - like if you pick this option you will lose fifty gold

meanwhile i'm at +5000 per turn

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Your Computer posted:

the gold penalties also seem hilariously low - like if you pick this option you will lose fifty gold

meanwhile i'm at +5000 per turn

Good thing you had that gold or your cities would have lost 10 production for 10 turns!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
they're big in the beginning of the game though. i'd like more varied results for the outcomes too, and results other than "bad thing doesn't happen!" for instance, the robin hood event is cool but it's like, you follow it to its conclusion and nothing you do even has a mechanical consequence or reward :shrug:

game could probably use some bugfixing on civics, too. in my most recent game, i was using Small Council since the beginning of the classical era and it never evolved once. finally in the contemporary era i tried cancelling the civic and bam, they all spawned one turn after the other :psyduck:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Fur20 posted:

ok i'm starting to dislike war score. it becomes difficult or impossible to scrub out an enemy that's spawned and stolen land from you due to bugs or even just actively cheating and spawning a unit on a distant landmass Just Because. you declare war on them but because it's a surprise war they just demand whatever the hell they want from your empire and you can't do anything about it, because you can't grind down their warscore on account of otherwise, you exist on two completely different continents and nobody can cross ocean tiles yet.

also the rules for landing a unit on the shore seem ridiculously complicated. just let me loving land the unit it's a beach there's no trees god drat

I don't know the specifics of warscore, but I just finished a game on...I think the third highest difficulty?...Where I only had one war, only one real battle, really, and I took everything but their capital in the settlement. We both started at 100/100 War score from constant squabbling, and even though I only took one city (he had four cities each with at least 2 territories), and never set foot deeper in his territory, I still got all his stuff. I think it was because I had demands on pretty much every one of his territories because he was under my sphere of influence. So maybe if you have demands before you go to war, it's basically like claims in Stellaris/other 4xs. In the settlement All those territories were auto-checked for me and only were a tiny amount of warscore each. I'm willing to bet if I didn't have a list of demands before going to war, I wouldn't have been able to take any of them in the settlement.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I've played this game for 30 hours and I think it's rad as gently caress. But I mostly just want to make a cool civilization and I derive most of my joy from watching the world develop and building buildings and it's really satisfying on that front. War also not generally being a huge pain in the rear end is nice. Dunno, I am not good at these games after hundreds of hours, I just want to durdle around and build something cool and this game so far seems to let me do that the best out of the 4x games I've played.

Edit: It will not surprise you to know that the cultists in Endless Legends are my favorite civ.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fhqwhgads posted:

I don't know the specifics of warscore, but I just finished a game on...I think the third highest difficulty?...Where I only had one war, only one real battle, really, and I took everything but their capital in the settlement. We both started at 100/100 War score from constant squabbling, and even though I only took one city (he had four cities each with at least 2 territories), and never set foot deeper in his territory, I still got all his stuff. I think it was because I had demands on pretty much every one of his territories because he was under my sphere of influence. So maybe if you have demands before you go to war, it's basically like claims in Stellaris/other 4xs. In the settlement All those territories were auto-checked for me and only were a tiny amount of warscore each. I'm willing to bet if I didn't have a list of demands before going to war, I wouldn't have been able to take any of them in the settlement.

Yes this is how it works. If you go to war without building up a list of demands the rewards for winning the war are almost zero. If you demand a bunch of poo poo, go to war for it, and then win the war by getting their war score down to zero (make sure you occupy the city you are interested in), you will get all their poo poo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I assume the point of the war score/grievance system is to resolve the Civ issue where every war turns into a genocide where have every incentive to just bulldoze the entire faction you're fighting and hoover up all their cities. So now to have a proper war you need some manner of CB, and you can only fight for the things you've specifically started the war over (take a territory settled on your border, a city where your people are being oppressed, etc). You can also surprise war, but then everybody hates you and the demand system gets screwy.

It's serviceable I guess, although it can be annoying if you want to war with somebody but have no way of generating a grievance. One big problem is that even on higher difficulties the AI is insanely passive. They're happy to sign all your trade proposals and pretty much shove NAP's in your face immediately.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Failboattootoot posted:

I've played this game for 30 hours and I think it's rad as gently caress. But I mostly just want to make a cool civilization and I derive most of my joy from watching the world develop and building buildings and it's really satisfying on that front. War also not generally being a huge pain in the rear end is nice. Dunno, I am not good at these games after hundreds of hours, I just want to durdle around and build something cool and this game so far seems to let me do that the best out of the 4x games I've played.

Edit: It will not surprise you to know that the cultists in Endless Legends are my favorite civ.

There is a 'peaceful mode' toggle when you create a game. Have you tried it?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I've definitely done wars where I got a hell of a lot more than just the thing I was demanding. Are you guys fighting to the surrender (when the opponent has 0 war score) or peacing out early or something?

Like my last game I was regularly taking multiple cities and entirely vassalising players with wars started over some poo poo like "Some dudes in your country follow my religion, give me the city they're in".

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Sydin posted:

It's serviceable I guess, although it can be annoying if you want to war with somebody but have no way of generating a grievance. One big problem is that even on higher difficulties the AI is insanely passive. They're happy to sign all your trade proposals and pretty much shove NAP's in your face immediately.

You can be in an alliance with every other civ the moment you meet them proposing it and then making a demand when they refuse. That doesn't mean they won't break it later if they want to attack you, but it gives you instant access to all their resources, and vision of the map.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Gort posted:

I've definitely done wars where I got a hell of a lot more than just the thing I was demanding. Are you guys fighting to the surrender (when the opponent has 0 war score) or peacing out early or something?

Like my last game I was regularly taking multiple cities and entirely vassalising players with wars started over some poo poo like "Some dudes in your country follow my religion, give me the city they're in".

Yeah I have never finished a war without keeping at least two cities, and I almost always start it over petty nonsense that I whip into war support. It may actually be that people are making too many demands before the war even starts, which become mandatory warscore sponges and cuts into your ability to demand territory. Vassalization is always difficult, though.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It makes a difference how quickly you win the war. As the Huns I've won some prolonged wars without a single casualty and not collected much war score. I won a quick war once I got rifles, and was able to vassalize my enemy.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Chamale posted:

It makes a difference how quickly you win the war. As the Huns I've won some prolonged wars without a single casualty and not collected much war score. I won a quick war once I got rifles, and was able to vassalize my enemy.

This seems likely a problem too. A problem meaning the system that calculates your war score is obtuse so you have no idea how to get a good war score. Usually I don't feel pressured to win a war quickly so I'll just ignore it for a long time then eventually win it. Apparently that tanks your warscore so vassalization etc is basically impossible. So the only thing I get from winning the war are the cities I'm occupying, and even then I sometimes won't even be able to hold them so I'm better off just razing everything, ending the war, and then back settling.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I did a gimmick run today of only picking industrial civs instead of branching out and it generated some interesting results. Even by trading with the entire world, stability was a massive issue the entire game. As well, I thought before influence was finnicky, but not picking any influence civs really made it's presence known when I just couldn't attach cities or pass laws. Sure my capital was amazing but really it was my only good city thanks to concentrating wonders to try and keep it's stability up. The others were...okay but they just kind of existed. I wonder if saying drat influence and just going for ics would've been a way to play. Interestingly this was also my lowest score game barely breaking 10k on my win.

Regardless the cost to merge cities is absolutely insane and needs to be heavily nerfed to be worth it compared to just tearing it down and starting it anew. Civics as well scaled to be wonky in cost, too high to be worth it.

I ran into some bugs as well, I went Siam and Carthage because I had a ton of coast, but I ran into a bug where despite having coast lowlands next to coastal waters, and the ability to build their districts lit up, I couldn't place it. It wouldn't highlight any valid tile despite saying I could build the drat thing. Very annoying.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I did an ICS run in one of the betas earlier and it's legit workable because you get to have parallel population growth and district costs are relatively lower. Food costs are also more manageable too. I took a screenshot of the run and posted it in the thread.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
there's a lot of problems with humankind but the war score being hard to parse is not one of them. Your war score goes down when you lose battles and territory and over time because people get tired of the war. It goes up when you win battles and take territory. It is easier to get a higher war score if you start with a higher war desire score thingy. that's the whole system.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Been having a ton of fun but I think I'm probably gonna step away until some serious patches hit. I will say it's insane how much more enjoyable war is in this game compared to Civ though. I always wind up playing Civ entirely peaceful because war is just an unfun pain in the rear end. In the first game I finished here, I got dragged into wars with the two other nations on my continent. If that happened to me in a Civ game, I'd probably just go "ugh" and quit the game rather than deal with it. Here that situation was actually fun! I was doing a tall game and had really defensive terrain leading into my territory, so I never really pushed out, but had constant tense and even fun (!) battles on my border. In my next game I took the initiative, went Rome, and turbo-bullied my incredibly annoying neighbor right out of the gate. That kind of thing is usually unheard of for me in these games, but here it was actually enjoyable, and my experience in that previous game pushed me towards trying this kind of thing I normally don't do. Neat!

Game needs some serious work and balance patches, but it feels like a hell of a solid base to build upon over time.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Eimi posted:

I ran into some bugs as well, I went Siam and Carthage because I had a ton of coast, but I ran into a bug where despite having coast lowlands next to coastal waters, and the ability to build their districts lit up, I couldn't place it. It wouldn't highlight any valid tile despite saying I could build the drat thing. Very annoying.

I think the locations may not be visible when zoomed out into the grey zone? I noticed a similar problem with Siam and never really figured it out. Later, with the Statue of Liberty, I was getting the same error about the terrain and had to zoom in to the colour level to see the little preview and be able to build it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Danann posted:

I did an ICS run in one of the betas earlier and it's legit workable because you get to have parallel population growth and district costs are relatively lower. Food costs are also more manageable too. I took a screenshot of the run and posted it in the thread.

What thread?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Eimi posted:

I did a gimmick run today of only picking industrial civs instead of branching out and it generated some interesting results. Even by trading with the entire world, stability was a massive issue the entire game. As well, I thought before influence was finnicky, but not picking any influence civs really made it's presence known when I just couldn't attach cities or pass laws. Sure my capital was amazing but really it was my only good city thanks to concentrating wonders to try and keep it's stability up. The others were...okay but they just kind of existed. I wonder if saying drat influence and just going for ics would've been a way to play. Interestingly this was also my lowest score game barely breaking 10k on my win.

Regardless the cost to merge cities is absolutely insane and needs to be heavily nerfed to be worth it compared to just tearing it down and starting it anew. Civics as well scaled to be wonky in cost, too high to be worth it.

I've only managed to merge cities if I take that civic that lets you do that with gold instead of influence, but that makes it relatively easy, even if you never took any commerce civs. And it frees up the influence for those Wonder grabs!

But yeah, you need at least one influence culture pick to keep up in this game.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Gort posted:

What thread?

Danann posted:

I built a megacity out of boredom:

This thread.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I wish the shallows extended out a bit more, lot of times it's like one space.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
How do you get the city merge thing to work? (And is there any way around the heartbreaking "nope, no Barays for you" bug)

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

How do you get the city merge thing to work? (And is there any way around the heartbreaking "nope, no Barays for you" bug)

City Merge is a tech in Medeval(?) era I believe that acts as 'Attach Territory' but you instead attach the entire city.

It works fundamentally the same:

-You gain the entire territory.
-You inherit all exploited land.
-You inherit all population.
-You inherit all disctricts

You do not, however, get ANY buildings build in that city.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So if you try to raze an outpost, but it turns into a city...

It insta kills your entire stack...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

James Totes posted:

City Merge is a tech in Medeval(?) era I believe that acts as 'Attach Territory' but you instead attach the entire city.

Hmm, I gave it a go, but I keep getting "no adjacent outpost" messages, which is manifestly not true. Must be a glitch of some description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I wish the shallows extended out a bit more, lot of times it's like one space.

that would be nice but it would also make harbors insanely broken, instead of just a good way to subsidize a crappy island settlement