Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

gay picnic defence posted:

If they don't get it ingrained in peoples' minds that it was a fuckup that could've been done so much better they'll probably forget by the time the election rolls around.

I absolutely expect the electorate to be like "jobkeeper/boosted jobseeker -> ??? -> vaccinated enough to open er up" and vote the coalition back in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

gay picnic defence posted:

I haven't even heard Albo do the 'Morrison has questions to answer' routine about all the fuckups in the vaccine rollout. Or getting on every talkback radio spot available banging on about how we need a royal commission in to the government's covid response. It'd be the easiest layup in the world but they don't seem to be taking the chance.

If they don't get it ingrained in peoples' minds that it was a fuckup that could've been done so much better they'll probably forget by the time the election rolls around.

Yeah.

Shorten, for all his faults, at least got his head on TV. He had his stupid 'zingers', he would actually go on the attack and do things. And be noticed as an alternative.

Albo is invisible, and does gently caress all. Except sometimes he agrees with the govt. But does so in a way that draws the least attention to himself or his party.

lua
Jun 16, 2013

Laserface posted:

They are selling us on a return to normalcy as a reward for vaccination and that true normalcy isn't going to happen for another year, at least.

What do you think is gonna happen in a year that takes us back to normality?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

BrigadierSensible posted:

Yeah.

Shorten, for all his faults, at least got his head on TV. He had his stupid 'zingers', he would actually go on the attack and do things. And be noticed as an alternative.

Albo is invisible, and does gently caress all. Except sometimes he agrees with the govt. But does so in a way that draws the least attention to himself or his party.

Can't be hit with a franking credits scare if you don't exist *taps transparent temple*

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

lua posted:

Ideal scenario: world-beating vaccination rates (because our authoritarian nature will make us go harder on vaccine passport stuff than anywhere else in the world) plus no new nasty variants = COVID is treated just like a flu season

Bad scenario: everybody's patience with protecting the old and the vulnerable runs out, much like the USA & Europe

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Or some talking head on 3AW decides to invest in horse worming tablets and imports them in bulk.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Or some talking head on 3AW decides to invest in horse worming tablets and imports them in bulk.

New goon project

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Bill is great. It's a shame the public hate him for nebulous newscorp reasons. He's a good local member. If you ask him for help he will help you.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Bill Shorten is a good man in a bad country.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is such thin skinned pettiness. "No, she never called me a bad word. We are bestest of mates."

From the man who brought up the fact that he had shat his pants in the Engadine McDonalds live on air, unasked, just to refute it.

I cannot fathom how anyone would like, or willingly support this man.

When all is said and done, assuming Morrison's wife outlives him. I want to watch a multi-part miniseries interview with her with re-enactments. I want to know what she was thinking and why she stuck by this utter wretch of a human being. Did she have a traumatic upbringing and latched onto the first thing with a pulse never to let go? Is it secretly amazingly hung and she doesn't give a gently caress about the politics, he's just somehow that good?

Why is she with this man?

Also, on Covid topic, WA will never accept not doing lockdowns or trying for zero Covid simply because our health system is imploding with 0 Covid. We cannot handle Covid or a big flu season.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Konomex posted:

When all is said and done, assuming Morrison's wife outlives him. I want to watch a multi-part miniseries interview with her with re-enactments. I want to know what she was thinking and why she stuck by this utter wretch of a human being. Did she have a traumatic upbringing and latched onto the first thing with a pulse never to let go? Is it secretly amazingly hung and she doesn't give a gently caress about the politics, he's just somehow that good?

Pretty sure she’s a true believing, Qanon-boosting nutjob herself.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

freebooter posted:

Bad scenario: everybody's patience with protecting the old and the vulnerable runs out, much like the USA & Europe

Well honestly I think you can swap "old" with "younger unvaccinated" because thats the group who are being belted by Delta. Vaccination rates for older Australians are already over 50% full vacced, 65+ groups are all over 70% first shot and 75-79 is now 89% first shot (64% full vacced)

https://www.smh.com.au/national/covid-19-global-vaccine-tracker-and-data-centre-20210128-p56xht.html

Sure they have had access to vaccines for longer but the pattern isnt unique to Australia - UK for instance there's not really that many olds filling ICUs as they are vaccinated. The USA is just a special case of loving stupid so vaccination rates are so varied between red / blue states

hooman posted:

God remember how disappointed we were when Shorten beat Albo the first time?

I take it back Bill, I was very wrong.

If Fed Labor had anything close to a clue they would have layed into Morrison so so hard because the PM has just stumbled from mismanaging one major disaster to another. In reality the only time Australia hasnt been facing a major crisis was the first two months of his term, up until the 2019 fires began to kick off. And since? Fires, floods, disease, economic calamity etc.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

lua posted:

I said "at least" and I'm not even sure that 1yr is enough.

We could have had that bright, covid free normalcy they are promising if we had a federal government that did literally anything at all to make proper quarantine and vaccinations happen while we had zero covid. Instead all we got was a reference to a children's movie about caves and blamed for not taking vaccines we weren't eligible for and that they didn't have.

Still blows my mind that we had cunts flying in from delta ridden countries like India and The UK using the same quarantine system that saw numerous breaches of OG covid and we still don't have a PPE/Vax mandate for anyone involved in the handling of international arrivals. Just a staggeringly lazy, gently caress-headed approach by the biggest, most useless oval office of them all, Scott "durr The Croods" Morrison.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
It's politician problem solving 101: Do nothing, accept no responsibility and blame everyone else.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Albo is gunning for that big Bomber Beazley energy and I just don't think that will get him across the line tbqh

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Konomex posted:

She's into scat play

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I can sort of understand the rationale of the small target strategy when anything and everything and ALP leader says will be twisted and used in attack pieces by the entirety of the print media in the country and in the knowledge that governments tend to be voted out, oppositions don't te d to get voted in.

It's poo poo and uninspiring but the cards are very much stacked against them whatever they do.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Tomberforce posted:

I can sort of understand the rationale of the small target strategy when anything and everything and ALP leader says will be twisted and used in attack pieces by the entirety of the print media in the country and in the knowledge that governments tend to be voted out, oppositions don't te d to get voted in.

It's poo poo and uninspiring but the cards are very much stacked against them whatever they do.

6th times the charm

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I close my eyes and imagine a Shorten Government

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I remember when anidavs Bill shorten schtick felt like a harrowing sliver of optimism in a world that didn't deserve it and now hes been proven right and it gives me hope for the future

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The truth is Albanese is okay, if you know where to look for him in the media.

My take is that the polls are a bit more accurate this time.

I just think there is now evidence on how Morrison behaves and people are at a minimum making a mental note of it.

You see Morrison taken a loving dive in approval ratings with Women since the Higgens Saga. Turnbull was mostly a scandal free prime minister, not much to talk about kicking him out besides his personality being kinda boring?

Now people can absolutely take offense to Morrison's personality like they do for Abbott.

The punters are now essentially backing that:

A) The polls are wrong
B) An election will happen in 2022.

Alternatively, if the punters are wrong:

A) The polls are right
B) An election will happen in 2022.

or

A) The polls are right
B) An election will happen in 2021.

and also if the punters are half right:

A) The polls are wrong
B) An election will happen in 2021.

Only the first set of possibilities are favorable to Morrison. with the forth set basically being impossible due to VIC and NSW.

The swing detected is coming from somewhere. It's nearly impossible that there isn't a swing against the coalition for the vaccine fuckups.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Be brave Anidav

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_OZJcVAiXE

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

SuddenCactus posted:

She's into scat play

Holy poo poo, this has to be it. I can't not see that this is the reason why. He shat his pants at Maccas as part of their kink, she loves the way he non-stop shits on the country.

Amazing.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Now we are all Anidav.

'dav can I get the number for your facial tattooist?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Anidav posted:

You see Morrison taken a loving dive in approval ratings with Women since the Higgens Saga.

This is another thing that Morrisson, (and his government), can and should be constantly getting hammered on.

A Minister called a rape victim a "lying cow"
The PMs office knew about a rape that occurred on Parliament grounds and tried to tell the victim to keep it quiet for her own sake.
Multiple claims of bullying and a culture of misogyny within his party.
The PM publicly refused to meet with marchers protesting against Violence against Women.
Harbouring rapists, not only in parliament, but also the Hillsong/Q bloke that ScoMo is chummy with.

These, (and others), have seemed blow over. Sure they caused a little stink for a while, but it passed, and with little damage done.

To go back to generalities, this is what is so scary. Morrisson's strategy of laying low, saying/doing nothing, and hoping for it to go away seems to be working. It worked with fires, it worked with the "woman problem", it will work with COVID, when he and Gladys smilingly open up the country, people will forget the thousands of cases and hundreds of deaths that they caused.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
It's not that people will forget, it's that braindead boomers can't correlate failures in society to failures in government unless it costs them money. I think fundamentally, that generation has accepted that government is collectively useless besides the giant taxes lever that they pull in opposite directions

It's not that anyone actually thinks scomo is doing a good job, they literally don't think anyone else could do it better - and the other guys would also cost money so lets put a lil 1 in the LNP box

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

abigserve posted:

It's not that people will forget, it's that braindead boomers can't correlate failures in society to failures in government unless it costs them money. I think fundamentally, that generation has accepted that government is collectively useless besides the giant taxes lever that they pull in opposite directions

It's not that anyone actually thinks scomo is doing a good job, they literally don't think anyone else could do it better - and the other guys would also cost money so lets put a lil 1 in the LNP box

We also share a problem with the US where an awful lot of the stuff people care about government actively doing for them is at State/territory level (health, schools, infrastructure, construction approvals), and probably associate the federal government with taxes, immigration and defence/national security only - unless you are in need of the safety net (or care about others having a safety net). There's obviously a lot more to it than that in practice (the federal government has a role in lots of places and people might be surprised how much the states have to do with things like immigration) but some people clearly associate the national level government with bureaucracy, ad hoc handouts to preferred industries/regions without any sense of overall logic, and fighting back and forth on "symbolic" issues like gay marriage, geopolitics, indigenous affairs, climate change etc - while state/local governments are actually delivering outcomes (or failing to) that are immediate and meaningful. (Obviously those issues are all hugely important but there is obviously a Murdoch-fuelled clique which has been convinced otherwise) This contributes to a feeling that the Federal government is pointless so people who talk about running it like a business (efficient, leaner, less tax, less bureaucracy) cut through to people who react strongly against it actually wanting to fix anything (as they don't care about the things it should be there to fix, like inequality).

This can be a huge asset for the LNP but might work against them this time, as this whole covid bag has reminded people that national govts can do stuff.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 31, 2021

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

On the subject of Liberal rapists:

Looks like Porter has managed to suppress the evidence that the ABC had on him. Just like someone who was so innocent he had to sue for defamation would do.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/christian-porter-wins-legal-bid-to-stop-media-outlets-publishing-abc-defence-20210831-p58ndw.html

This just stops 9 and NewsCorp from publishing it though. Dunno if the ABC could use it to air another story on him. And how he is a definite rapist.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Just got a spam text from Palmer Party (with now no mention of Palmer)

Link contains no policies, just a video of Craig Kelly ranting over inspirational music and a "join our team" link.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
was the inspirational music the theme from Lassie?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Anidav posted:

The truth is Albanese is okay, if you know where to look for him in the media.

My take is that the polls are a bit more accurate this time.

I just think there is now evidence on how Morrison behaves and people are at a minimum making a mental note of it.

You see Morrison taken a loving dive in approval ratings with Women since the Higgens Saga. Turnbull was mostly a scandal free prime minister, not much to talk about kicking him out besides his personality being kinda boring?

Nothing a new PM would not fix for Murdoch. Set it for November.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Reporting that even though I'm under 40 and booked for AZ through the Victorian website when first available when I turned up to the hospital they just slapped a Pfizer sticker on me with no comment.

Was going to clot for Scott but have been pfisted by Pfizer

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Not following the news last week?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

hooman posted:

Link contains no policies, just a video of Craig Kelly ranting over inspirational music and a "join our team" link.
I got this this morning also. I've never so reflexively reached for the nonexistent "punch sender" icon.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah mum got that last week and I couldn't figure out where block sender is on her shitass Samsung phone

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

abigserve posted:

They cannot break the liberal voting habit. Also, call the opponent a leftist and then conservatives can associate them with trans rights groups (a whole community that many people struggle to understand or refuse to inform themselves about) and people who allegedly want to make their kids gay or expose them to sex acts (as though there wasn't already tons of pedophilia being covered up by conservative groups).

I had some family members saying that the media should have stopped focusing on the Brittany Higgins stuff and just let politicians do their job, as though it was the fault of the media for bringing too much attention to the subject, instead of the government being a cesspit that were finally caught out on their horrible bullshit.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Eediot Jedi posted:

Not following the news last week?

I was under the impression it would be "offered". I'm not complaining, just giving a trip report.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hooman posted:

I got one too.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Laserface posted:

I got one too.

There's no way to unsubscribe from the messages, which breaches the Spam Act. Make sure you lodge a complaint with ACMA if you get one of these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

SwissDonkey posted:

There's no way to unsubscribe from the messages, which breaches the Spam Act. Make sure you lodge a complaint with ACMA if you get one of these

Political parties are exempt from most of the Spam Act apparently. I also lodged a complaint with ACMA

e: https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/united-australia-party-leader-craig-kelly-defends-spam-messages-20210829-p58mv7.html