Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I actually use it on the arm of my easy chair (the arm is wide and flat enough to work as a great mousepad while I'm using my laptop). I got used to the new height of the mouse after a couple weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

Real talk since we're talking about mice ergonomics. Is there any kind of like, brace for my wrist/arm that I can use that will stop me from resting part of my arm on the edge of my desk? Like a soft cushion for my mouse arm that moves along with the mouse would be dope.

I've been playing PC games for so long like this that I have a bit of a callous on my wrist right there and it's annoying. It happens even with a vertical mouse because my arm's gotta rest somewhere and I don't have a chair tall enough for the arm rests to be above the desk lmao

I started using a mouse wrist pad a few years back and have found it very comfortable. Mouse sensitivity is set high enough to where I don't need to move the wrist much even on an ultrawide monitor. I know pads are controversial in general, but my hands are large enough I rest the bottom of the palm on the pad, not my wrist, and it's been quite comfortable so far.

The Glorious PC Gaming Race pads have been the best I've found so far in both comfort and build quality. They're thick enough to where the height is good for both keyboard and mouse for my seating set up - no arm rests, almost straight from the elbow to the top of the pad but not quite.

The mat lets me move both mouse and keyboard over to the left when playing a game with M&KB so that left arm is centered on ASDF and right is centered on mouse. It's quite useful, not just for aesthetics.

(Yes, the keyboard needs to be cleaned for dust.)

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I've been using MS and Logitech thumbball mice for over 2 decades of daily computer work and at home playing games/laptop browsing in various couches and recliners and my wrists seem pretty fine with none of the pain that seems to plague regular mouse users, although my right thumb is definitely differently muscled now than my left. The high end MX version from logitech even partially simulates a vertical mouse. From my use I think a big benefit is that you can use them on any surface, including the chest/gut, so I get a lot of various positions throughout the day.

I'm sure when I'm 60 my thumbs will explode from ball-ities but I have not found the vertical mice to be that comfortable, although most of my experiences were with the Kensington line of nightmare office tools.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I wanted to switch to a trackball mouse but getting used to it was taking forever and I work in a field that requires precise mouse usage so I couldn't really give it that time. Switching to a vertical mouse was practically instantaneous in comparison.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i just got a logitech g403 because the thumb buttons on my g203 were dying and it was on sale for the same price as a replacement g203

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
As embarrassing as it is (I am always skeptical when it comes to Ubisoft) I pretty much came around on Rider's Republic. It's just silly dumb fun, all the ways they give you to explore the enormous map is great. The map itself is huge and beautiful and generally the game seems well-optimized although minor visual bugs are common. The snow simulation and tricks are pretty good, simplistic but solid, it'd be worth it just for that. But the biking, rocketwings, wingsuits, and novelty nonsense like jet powered ski and bikes make it even better.

The insane mass races where 50-60 players race three rounds at the same time with change gates that put give you different types of equipment, breaking the race into sections is kind of fantastically stupid and fun. Absolute nutty chaos, it's crazy. If you can get through the entire course without making a single mistake you will be top 10 for sure, but it's actually damned hard and there is plenty of chance involved.

I don't love it all, it can be pretty janky and the emerging cash shop elements are highly concerning. The controls are average at best and some elements are just laughable. But there's a lot there for just doing single players stunts and races, and it's fun even with the really simplistic controls and weird physics.

I'm a big extreme sports fan, love snowboarding and mountain biking myself, so maybe it was inevitable that I'd like this since we get so few good games based around these kinds of sports. But yeah, it's fun if you like such things and I will probably end up shamefully buying it at full price

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Palpek posted:

At this point I'd only get Cyberpunk after all the expansions are released (if they even are) and/or the next gen version releases. The latest patch fixed another 1000 bugs and one can only benefit from further fixes. Maybe you get lucky and CDPR releases actual mod tools so the community can add the missing features even more effectively than they have done until now.

They just hired the guys behind Wolvenkit and Redscript so fingers crossed.

Unless they hired them to make them stop working on them. :v:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Deakul posted:

Seems more Don't Starve x Binding of Isaac to me honestly.

I was going to say more Binding of Isaac x Actraiser.

.random
May 7, 2007

Floodkiller posted:

Hm? Huh? Actraiser you say…

(I am thiiiiis close to buying Smelter, but I figure I may as well wait on it at this point)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Floodkiller posted:

Actraiser? Now that’s a name I haven’t heard in years.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I really, really want Actraiser-likes to become a genre. There's been some promising movement recently, but nothing where we're definitely there yet.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I do not want actraiser-likes to become a genre because how weird and unique it was is what made it good, but I do want a (one) modern take on the formula.

.random
May 7, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

I do not want actraiser-likes to become a genre because how weird and unique it was is what made it good, but I do want a (one) modern take on the formula.

And not Smelter? (Though how “modern take” it is may be debatable)

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Videeooooogames.

I spent a cozy saturday evening streaming and reading through Planetarian with a friend. Boy, that was a lot of crying.

Soul Nomad & the World Eaters is coming out in 12 hours or so. It looks like a barebones port, very little fanfare about it too, but they did add some icons for keyboard prompts and a higher resolution font that should look better on modern monitors. Note that all of the game's screenshots seem to be in 4:3 format with black bars on the sides too. I expect it will review very poorly.

Edit: You can choose to play in 4:3 or sucky, stretchy mode.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 31, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

.random posted:

And not Smelter? (Though how “modern take” it is may be debatable)

I don't think Actraiser's gameplay mechanics were what made it memorable. It was forgettable as a platformer (as proven by its sequel) and the strategic layer of it was nowhere near engaging enough to stand on its own. I don't think there's even one specific thing that made it stand out - it was a bizarre and unique combination of explicitly biblical-inspired theme, great art direction, an unprecedented mashup of genres, a console that didn't get many strategy games, and good music. It became instantly recognizable to everyone who played it because there was nothing else that looked like it, and that cemented it in the pantheon of memory as a good game.

I hadn't seen Smelter before but it doesn't appeal to me because it looks like a direct clone of Actraiser's biblical theming and platformer/strategy game mashup - essentially just a homage to Actraiser - but without the good art design, good music, or being a fresh unprecedented mashup of genres.

I guess when I was envisioning a modern take I meant more in the vein of a fun action game about rebuilding a lost world combined with a strategy layer in a bizarre unique setting, not just remaking Actraiser but without the art direction. But now I'm remembering that we had that already in 1992 with Soul Blazer and again in 2000 with Dark Cloud :shrug:

e: Wait, holy poo poo, I literally just realized that Soul Blazer was a spiritual successor (along with Terranigma) to Actraiser :psyduck: Both by Tomoyoshi Miyazaki, both about a god named "The Master" sending a hero down to the planet to restore the souls of those lost in a world-ending cataclysm, both alternate between action and strategy layers. That kind of evolution is exactly what I'd like to see out of a modern take on Actraiser though: Keep the general concept but stick it in different types of action/strategy layers.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 31, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Have there been any updates about xenonauts 2? The first game finally clicked for me after a few years and I’m loving it, can’t wait for the sequel.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Have there been any updates about xenonauts 2? The first game finally clicked for me after a few years and I’m loving it, can’t wait for the sequel.

It's being worked on, slowly but steadily. Someone in one of the goon gaming IRC channels tossed me a spare key they had (I guess from backing the game? Idk) and I've given some of the testing builds a spin. It's nowhere near finished yet, but making progress.

Go snoop around their forums, the lead dev posts there quite a bit

https://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

For what it's worth a Xenonauts 2 demo was snuck onto Steam at some point this year but the button to download it isn't in the usual place where demos are shown. It's just a demo of the tactical battles but here's where the download button is if you want to try it out

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Sol Seraph tried to be a modern Actraiser, but it didn't turn out so great.

I've finished the main campaigns of the games in the Halo Master Chief Collection, and I'm not interested in the multiplayer, so all that's left is Spartan Ops in Halo 4. From what I've read about it, it's co-op focused, so does that mean it's not tuned for a single player at all? Is it basically a separate campaign all its own?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

smelter owns

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1701600/Amazing_Cultivation_Simulator__Immortal_Tales_of_WuDang/

quote:

The first collaboration content of Amazing Cultivation Simulator is now available! This time, we're releasing a new DLC — Immortal tales of Wudang, in collaboration with the Wudang Museum and the home to many Taoist temples: the Wudang Mountains.

This seems to be a substantial content pack for 4$, adding a bunch of new items and places and things. Probably an easy pickup if you like Amazing Cultivation Sim. I think the new turtle looks neat.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWOkZaY8TIA

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i hope smelter is bad because then i can say “he who smelter, dealt her”

Orv
May 4, 2011

Reaaaaally hoping the mechanics of this are as well put together as it is visually slick.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

A good poster posted:

Sol Seraph tried to be a modern Actraiser, but it didn't turn out so great.

I've finished the main campaigns of the games in the Halo Master Chief Collection, and I'm not interested in the multiplayer, so all that's left is Spartan Ops in Halo 4. From what I've read about it, it's co-op focused, so does that mean it's not tuned for a single player at all? Is it basically a separate campaign all its own?
I got Sol Seraph during the first/second level I was thinking people were way too hard on the game. Then I got to the third level and was like 'oh yeah this is utter poo poo'. Talk about unfun grindy wannabe tower defense game.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

The English version of Tale of Immortal has been released (90% translated so far, by the dev's reckoning) and it's on a 20% discount.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1468810/_Tale_of_Immortal/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Play posted:

I'm a big extreme sports fan, love snowboarding and mountain biking myself, so maybe it was inevitable that I'd like this since we get so few good games based around these kinds of sports. But yeah, it's fun if you like such things and I will probably end up shamefully buying it at full price

Why won't they make another SSX Tricky

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I came off of Rider's Republic really liking the bike stuff the most, so I decided to check out Descenders on gamepass and that game is pretty much just exactly the bike parts of Riders Republic and really scratches that itch. I think biking around the world in RR will be fun but I'm not really willing to drop 60 bones on it on day one.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cheap Trick posted:

The English version of Tale of Immortal has been released (90% translated so far, by the dev's reckoning) and it's on a 20% discount.

Aha! I was waiting for this, thanks!

.random
May 7, 2007

zoux posted:

It’s tricky to rock a sequel, to rock a sequel that’s right on time.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cheap Trick posted:

This looks fascinating, it really threw me when I saw the bullet hell style combat system. Would love to hear how serviceable the translation is.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

.random posted:

It’s tricky to rock a sequel, to rock a sequel that’s right on time.

:hmmyes:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

.random posted:

Hm? Huh? Actraiser you say…

(I am thiiiiis close to buying Smelter, but I figure I may as well wait on it at this point)

Dude Smelter is so good. It's completely puzzling how it didn't make more of a splash, easily one of the best action platformers I've played in a long time.

It's tough though. Not an easy game by any means, I need to get back to it after I got stymied in one section and died like 50 times

zoux posted:

Agreed, but if you liked SSX Tricky you will probably like this because it has a very similar sense of unreality. Once you accept this fact, that it is not a simulator and it's just absurdity after absurdity, you start to enjoy it better

explosivo posted:

I came off of Rider's Republic really liking the bike stuff the most, so I decided to check out Descenders on gamepass and that game is pretty much just exactly the bike parts of Riders Republic and really scratches that itch. I think biking around the world in RR will be fun but I'm not really willing to drop 60 bones on it on day one.

I think I liked the ski and snowboard the most, but I also enjoyed the biking despite pretty fiddly controls. The rocketwings are pretty great, the wingsuit I couldn't figure out for the life of me, that one is loving hard. The rocket bike and rocket skis are pretty cool too but you only see those in mass races and specific custom races

Play fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 31, 2021

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
So, I'm playing Blasphemous and so far it's rad as heck, but, like, is there some point at which I'm going to have any remote idea as to what the gently caress is going on? I am through the first three bosses and I got their... things... and now I'm fighting the censor-hammer dude on the bridge who is kicking my rear end (I got real close last time, I should be fine). But, uh, why am I doing these things?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Play posted:

I think I liked the ski and snowboard the most, but I also enjoyed the biking despite pretty fiddly controls. The rocketwings are pretty great, the wingsuit I couldn't figure out for the life of me, that one is loving hard. The rocket bike and rocket skis are pretty cool too but you only see those in mass races and specific custom races

I found the rocketwings kinda blah, like it felt the least engaging to me because it was basically just point in the direction you want to go and hold the trigger down. I don't think I ever got to try just the normal wingsuit though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

OzFactor posted:

So, I'm playing Blasphemous and so far it's rad as heck, but, like, is there some point at which I'm going to have any remote idea as to what the gently caress is going on?

Nope!

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
You’re doing it because you’re full of sin. Suffer and repent.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

OzFactor posted:

So, I'm playing Blasphemous and so far it's rad as heck, but, like, is there some point at which I'm going to have any remote idea as to what the gently caress is going on? I am through the first three bosses and I got their... things... and now I'm fighting the censor-hammer dude on the bridge who is kicking my rear end (I got real close last time, I should be fine). But, uh, why am I doing these things?

doloroso sea el corazón, penitente en clemencia

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Song of Iron just dropped. I've had it on my wishlist for like two years now. Waiting for some reviews before I buy it, but it sure does look cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

OzFactor posted:

yeah but also not really.