Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Manager Hoyden posted:

Lord above

Bauhaus, Buzzcocks, and Pantera? No thanks as a man of taste I prefer MCR

Let get my frosted tips and eyeliner on and Im ready to go to the show

Pantera are the pick-up truck with Punisher decals of music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Does Toby Keith still do poo poo? If so, that's not Pantera that's him.

The worst thing about growing up rural in the early 2000s is that I still get "CUZ WELL PUT A BOOT IN YER rear end ITS THE AMURRICAN WAY" stuck in my head.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Toby Keith is not as obviously Proud American since America killed Bin Ladin and won the war on terrorism. There’s simply no need for it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I went to Toby Keith's steakhouse inside Winstar after a concert and ordered a giant platter of chili cheese fries and only ate like one because I was on mushrooms and had no appetite

Probably should've seen that coming

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cowboys from hell is an amazing song. I get it stuck in my head all the drat time.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Disco Pope posted:

Pantera are the pick-up truck with Punisher decals of music.

How did you arrive at this incredibly wrong idea exactly?

Also Pantera had the greatest album covers of all time yes even including Metal Magic

In fact, especially Metal Magic

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Manager Hoyden posted:

How did you arrive at this incredibly wrong idea exactly?

Also Pantera had the greatest album covers of all time yes even including Metal Magic

In fact, especially Metal Magic

I did a bunch of calculations and realised that the deeply unpleasant Phil Anselmo is in the band and divided that by every camo shorted wall punching Pantera fan I've ever met.

To clarify, big trucks and The Punisher are kind of dumb but cool, but the worst people love those things and it sours the original thing a bit.

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 19:52 on Aug 30, 2021

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon is the quintessential metal album.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Disco Pope posted:

To clarify, big trucks and The Punisher are kind of dumb but cool, but the worst people love those things and it sours the original thing a bit.

Definitely right with that observation

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The problem with live action adaptations of anime is that they adapt anime that are popular in the west, instead of anime that would work well as a western live action movie or series.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

alexandriao posted:

Questionable Content and Gunnerkrigg are still going very, very strongly, imo.

is qc still getting filled with characters with [insert trait here to make the author look super progressive and supporting but does a bad job of dealing with said trait]?

Manager Hoyden posted:

Everyone seems to hate Achewood but sorry guys it is the only good webcomic

People get real pisspants angry about it existing for some reason. Who knows, weird people are the loudest I suppose

I don't think I've ever seen anyone hate Achewood. The closest I've ever seen is "I never really got into it".

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone hate Achewood. The closest I've ever seen is "I never really got into it".

The only thing worse than Achewood erasure is Achewood erasure denial

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I like Oglaf because it has titties and cum.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

is qc still getting filled with characters with [insert trait here to make the author look super progressive and supporting but does a bad job of dealing with said trait]?
I mean, that's what QC always was, so probably. Just remember that the author really cares OK!? so therefore it's alright when he does a bad job?

Gripweed posted:

The problem with live action adaptations of anime is that they adapt anime that are popular in the west, instead of anime that would work well as a western live action movie or series.
It's easy to understand why they're bothering to make a live action Cowboy Bebop, but man is that like the worst loving show to try and adapt. It's entirely style over substance. You're gambling that you can be as cool or cooler than the original, and that's a pretty big gamble.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

You're gambling that you can be as cool or cooler than the original, and that's a pretty big gamble.

That really is not what's gonna determine if it does well or not. Not that I know how that is determined anymore either with streaming and box office not meaning poo poo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And if I cared about how the show "did" that might mean something. The show's going to do exactly what Netflix wants it to do-- drive conversation and get a few stray subscriptions. They weighed the cost of negative critical feedback versus whatever metrics they think the show will drive and determined it was worth doing. I was talking about a creative success that exists as more than a curiosity even one year out from its release. Adapting Cowboy Bebop as a creative project is a near-impossible needle to thread. You have to be faithful to what came before on some level, but what you're being faithful to is style over substance so you have to either be cool via mimicry of someone else's style (near impossible) or cool in an entirely different way (something that existing fans will hate on principle). It's a really thankless job in that regard.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Aug 30, 2021

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

doverhog posted:

I like Oglaf because it has titties and cum.

Oglaf is a goddamn treasure and deserves far more recognition than it has.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I actually forgot about oglaf. I retract my assertion.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

It's a really thankless job in that regard.

For sure, but I will reserve judgement on whether I like it. It's been long enough since I watched the original that if it's a cool space thing that will be enough.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Joe Biden deserves the Nobel Peace Prize

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

What are you even talking about

Like, I don't think that Claire's treatment was particularly bad, especially in the context of literally every other representation of trans folk in media, and in early-2000s-webcomics specifically.

And given that almost 100% of the audience is basically purely composed of queer folks at this point, any problems with quality in representation got fixed up real quick, a very very long time ago.

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 00:48 on Aug 31, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

That being said if you pick a random strip and just decide to read, it's not going to make a whole lot of sense to you because it's developing characters, and the jokes may either look out of place, too obvious, or weird.

It's like dropping into season 6 of Frasier, it's going to look weird but that doesn't mean the overall quality is bad, when you have the full context of what has happened previously and know the characters.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

alexandriao posted:

That being said if you pick a random strip and just decide to read, it's not going to make a whole lot of sense to you because it's developing characters, and the jokes may either look out of place, too obvious, or weird.

It's like dropping into season 6 of Frasier, it's going to look weird but that doesn't mean the overall quality is bad, when you have the full context of what has happened previously and know the characters.

You mean season 8, right? That's the one defined by changing up the status quo with the terrible Daphne and Niles plot and the terrible Roz stops being a slut plot. Season 7 is rather continuity heavy too as it all leads up to Daphnes wedding.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I like witch house as a music genre, but mainly as instrumental. Listening to an internet radio of it has way too much of that specific male voice singing; if you know the genre you know what I mean.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gripweed posted:

You mean season 8, right? That's the one defined by changing up the status quo with the terrible Daphne and Niles plot and the terrible Roz stops being a slut plot. Season 7 is rather continuity heavy too as it all leads up to Daphnes wedding.

I think tbh if you drop someone into a random episode of Frasier all they are going to see are the big niles-exploding-shaving-cream parts, and people being mean to eachother

Either that or the smaller parts will bounce off easier because there's no background for those jabs and references

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

doverhog posted:

I like witch house as a music genre, but mainly as instrumental. Listening to an internet radio of it has way too much of that specific male voice singing; if you know the genre you know what I mean.

do you mean sneaky bat machine adjacent because I got into them a week or two ago and they are very good at this specific vibe

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

alexandriao posted:

I think tbh if you drop someone into a random episode of Frasier all they are going to see are the big niles-exploding-shaving-cream parts, and people being mean to eachother

Either that or the smaller parts will bounce off easier because there's no background for those jabs and references

Up until like season 7 it's not like the show lore ever got that complex or self-referencey. Martin is a normal guy, his kids are fancy lads, Niles wants to gently caress the maid, Roz is sassy and sleeps around. All of the humor comes from those characters interacting in the given situation of an episode.
Even when a minor recurring character like Lilith showed up, their character and relationships were simple enough that they were clearly communicated early on in the episode through dialogue and performance.

The one thing a new viewer might have trouble with is the emotional episodes, because they aren't attached enough to the characters yet. But even then, the first episode got pretty emotional and it worked great because it had strong characters performed well and the drama was based on simple universal relationships.

All of which is because Frasier, like most shows before DVD box sets and streaming, was made assuming most viewers weren't going to watch every episode. And like all sitcoms of the era it was intended for syndication, so from the get go the idea was that any episode could be someone's first. It was just that once the show became such a huge hit that they could expect a baseline familiarity with the concept from the audience and it had gone on so long that they felt the need to shake things up that the lore became important as characters and their relationships shifted significantly.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSeo6TzZ93M this is the radio.

Two specific songs I like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2MNGk7W_H8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_2-ERxUFSE that never play on radio because they too old

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

To be clear, if you had said a season 9 episode of Frasier I'd totally agree with you. Especially since by that point imo the quality had taken a noticeable dip and attachment to the characters had become a larger motivation to watch the show. It's just that you said season 6, before the big relationship shake ups and quality dip that I disagree with.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Seinfeld and Frasier both suck rear end and are only good if you were there for the zeitgeist. Saying they're good is like saying Transformers and He-man were better than the 90s nickelodeon lineup or Steven Universe or whatever infinitely better non-action-figure-commercial cartoons have come since. It's Big Bang Theory but for olds.

Having only seen them in reruns as a teenager there was literally no difference in funny between Seinfeld, Frasier, and like, the Kevin James one

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 01:59 on Aug 31, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Seinfeld and Frasier both suck rear end and are only good if you were there for the zeitgeist. Saying they're good is like saying Transformers and He-man were better than the 90s nickelodeon lineup or Steven Universe or whatever infinitely better non-action-figure-commercial cartoons have come since. It's Big Bang Theory but for olds.

That's categorically untrue and my citation is that I am 23 but like Frasier.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Having only seen them in reruns as a teenager there was literally no difference in funny between Seinfeld, Frasier, and like, the Kevin James one

Not finding them funny is a matter of opinion, but putting them on the same level as a Kevin James sitcom? That says more about you as a teenager imo

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

alexandriao posted:

I followed it for like, 6 years before realizing it wasn't very good. The author insert character is unbelievably bland, and the narrative gets spiced up every year or two by adding a new character that Jeph Jacques Marten can voice his support of (and probably gently caress).

Fake edit: jfc its been going for 18 years now lol.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Webcomocs are comics made by people that weren't good enough to make regular comics. They're almost universally less funny than even Family Circus.

It's like comparing your friend's self published hundred page horror novel about his divorce only with vampires to a Stephen King novel.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lmao at the idea that you can't just watch any single episode of Frasier and "get" all of it. How loving stupid are you people?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
another phuo: people need to stop pretending "the canadian Conservatives are the same as the US Democrats" because 1. no lol they are full-on fash MCGAs who aren't quite as loud, and 2. Trudeau is literally Francophone Obama but More Privilege and you are giving the Liberals way too much credit pretending they are better or leftier than the Dems

The best you can grant is the Conservatives is more lip service to public healthcare but also more fellating a dude across the sea with a fancy name

This is exclusively said by americans who know nothing about Canada and canadians who still insist it's USA But Good.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 02:28 on Aug 31, 2021

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Seinfeld was funny because it's relatable in various ways. Shows like big bang theory just aren't relatable. Even as someone who was what they were supposed to be when i watched it, I didn't find it relatable. Nobody I ever worked with was like any of the characters, and if they were they would be shunned because they're so obnoxious.

Like maybe you don't find it funny but it's insulting to compare Seinfeld to shows like big bong theory and that kevin james show. Nobody in 20 years will remember the kevin james show. I've seen several episodes and I still don't remember the name. But people will still remember Seinfeld.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Lmao at the idea that you can't just watch any single episode of Frasier and "get" all of it. How loving stupid are you people?

It was made as an observation of people. i know some folks who actually tangibly did not even understand the jokes.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
How? Like, seriously. How do you not understand Frasier? It's a bog standard sitcom/farce dressed up in 90's men fashions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Shibawanko posted:

my wardrobe is pretty much just blue and grey

Always knew my boy repped the proper set. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R-K9-lty6M

See you in 2000 posts when I catch up.