Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

how many right wingers still think COVID is bioweapon.

because a lot of them are getting hyped up to get infected by what they think is a manmade virus to get natural immunity. This is seen as the better option in contrast to the experimental vaccine.

just horse brain all the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Nocturtle posted:

We know how the virus will mutate based on lab serial passage studies. It's time to stop messing around developing vaccines against extant viruses and to start designing vaccines for viruses yet to come. This is the sci-fi dystopic future, let's start acting like it.

friend

if we could put everything in a lab and predict the path of viruses, infectious disease wouldn't be the absolute garbage fire it is right now

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

waiting for hospitals to collapse for maybe something to happen. lol that’s grim

two, maybe three weeks

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Cup Runneth Over posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1432161188717211649

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you

YOU'RE KILLING PEOPLE YOU ABSOLUTE HACKS

lol they deleted it

edit: was this the linked article? https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-respirator-mask/

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Schnorkles posted:

also i guess i'll post briefly here because why not

we've got like 7 openings for computer touchers (wfh for well, a long time) here and we're literally working on processes for anti-viral molecules right now, if both trying to solve this mess and programming interests you.

I mean I am interested but it's extraordinarily unlikely I'd be qualified for it

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Business Gorillas posted:

oh hey look at that, i was right

good thing we're not creating the perfect scenario for covid to mutate into something that bypasses vaccines!!!

also if the hospital is full it doesn't really matter who is filling it because you still can't go get medical care because it is full.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

crepeface posted:

lol they deleted it

cowards

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Google Butt posted:

https://twitter.com/CorieWhalen/status/1432411396470460430?s=20

strong entry into the dumb bitch of the year award 2021

These people are functionally exactly the same as the flyover country Trump fans that were packing into Red Lobster last year while saying that they 'had to live their lives'. You know, the people they mocked.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Casey Finnigan posted:

I mean I am interested but it's extraordinarily unlikely I'd be qualified for it

no science necessary

pure software engineering positions.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Stereotype posted:

the deaths are rising too slowly to scare anyone i guess. 2000 deaths a day seems like a lot, but not if we've had more than 1000 deaths a day for a month.

You act like the average person cares or is even aware of this supposed death number. The vast majority don't care to look it up and the media don't care to report it, the government has no incentive to give it any airtime either and half the people who do hear about it are probably insane chuds that don't believe it anyway. The problem isn't so much the people as it is the entire social, political and economic structure of most of the planet, and that's what will have to change to make any difference to what's happening right now.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

corie whalen more like freaking covid havin

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NeonPunk posted:

What? You don't clean your respirator mask because of Covid formites. You clean it because you are a disgusting filthy human. Your mask will accumulate oils from your skin, and depending on your activity, sweat too. All of that will lead to some real stinky masks.
Even if it's made out of silicone, you still need to clean it from time to time.

oh, fair enough

i've barely clocked like 4 hours total in mine so it's still basically good as new but it couldn't hurt to wipe it down

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I just don’t know what to do.

I will get the second dose tomorrow but will it even matter?

I don’t know if I can ever visit my parents again.

I don’t know if I will be able to eat inside the office (have to take off a mask to eat).

My brother now keeps inviting me to hang out with him and my niece.

I am the only person wearing a mask regularly despite cases in Norway hitting record highs.

I haven’t gotten any work done and might get fired (still in probation period) because I just can’t concentrate working at home.

Help. I just want to know what to do. How do I get a relationship now? How will I get friends? How will my life be worth it? It’s just work sleep work sleep. I save so much money and have no where to spend it. All just to keep breathing. How is this worth it?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

rolling out the memes from spring 2020 now
https://twitter.com/erin_bsn/status/1432329752912793600?s=20

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

I hate these blue MAGAs

https://twitter.com/tbyrnesea/status/1432493035988799492

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Schnorkles posted:

no science necessary

pure software engineering positions.

yeah but my jobs after college were substitute teacher, makeup quality inspector, and makeup warehouse manager and then I didn't work for like a billion years during the pandemic. I could shoot the moon but I'm probably a bad choice lol

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

oh hey look at that, i was right

good thing we're not creating the perfect scenario for covid to mutate into something that bypasses vaccines!!!

My hunch tells me that this variant is already here, we are just not aware of it (yet) because it's in some poor country with poor monitoring. But don't worry - I've referenced our excellent past trajectory and it will be labelled as a VOC by the time ~500k are dead from it.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Blackhawk posted:

You act like the average person cares or is even aware of this supposed death number. The vast majority don't care to look it up and the media don't care to report it, the government has no incentive to give it any airtime either and half the people who do hear about it are probably insane chuds that don't believe it anyway. The problem isn't so much the people as it is the entire social, political and economic structure of most of the planet, and that's what will have to change to make any difference to what's happening right now.

hey cool something actually like 1984

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Schnorkles posted:

also i guess i'll post briefly here because why not

we've got like 7 openings for computer touchers (wfh for well, a long time) here and we're literally working on processes for anti-viral molecules right now, if both trying to solve this mess and programming interests you.

if you have any other details, i'm interested

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Posting this story for goons to use to further armor their minds against the gaslighting of idiots.

My MIL was going to visit for our daughters birthday a few weeks back. Her plans changed and she ended up going to a wedding and told us beforehand that she could come visit us right after!!

lol no you cannot

but I'll wear a mask and social distance at the wedding

no

Ok fine I'll quarantine after and visit you after that.

ok

MIL now has COVID.*

*spoiler she didn't social distance and mask at the wedding (not that we'd have let her visit even if we trusted she would do those things)

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

razorscooter posted:

pm me

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

razorscooter posted:

ah wait, you can't.

uh

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

VomitOnLino posted:

Here’s a preview from your future - heath care has already collapsed in the greater Tokyo area.

People are dying of diabetes, car crashes and other preventable poo poo coz there’s no room in hospitals in a 200km radius anymore.

They had literal TV crews follow the ambulances around as a poor loving doctor (my heart goes out to him) had to tell poor sucker after poor sucker he was gonna die coz they couldn’t get any beds.

Guess what’s changed?

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing!

The politicians say it may be hard to lift the “restrictions”.
They also reduced the number of tests to nothing. And that’s it. lol lmao

Olympics were good tho no spread

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Stereotype posted:

also if the hospital is full it doesn't really matter who is filling it because you still can't go get medical care because it is full.

we won't see any meaningful change until the rich are afraid of the virus again. this means that their fancy rich people doctors have to start dying

we've gotta give madjackal covid is what i'm saying

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

love to scream about how you basically cant die to covid while thousands die a day

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

tangy yet delightful posted:

Posting this story for goons to use to further armor their minds against the gaslighting of idiots.

My MIL was going to visit for our daughters birthday a few weeks back. Her plans changed and she ended up going to a wedding and told us beforehand that she could come visit us right after!!

lol no you cannot

but I'll wear a mask and social distance at the wedding

no

Ok fine I'll quarantine after and visit you after that.

ok

MIL now has COVID.*

*spoiler she didn't social distance and mask at the wedding (not that we'd have let her visit even if we trusted she would do those things)

my parents went to a very large wedding reception with my whole extended family (i did not go, because lol) and i tried as hard as i could to scare them into wearing N95 masks the ENTIRE TIME. They said they did, but also that basically no one was wearing masks anywhere. I'm interested to see how many of my family get sick and die because my cousins couldn't wait any longer to throw a party

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

nurse erin is giving us the real poo poo from the nurse conspiracy
https://twitter.com/erin_bsn/status/1431643794231934980?s=20

VomitOnLino posted:

My hunch tells me that this variant is already here, we are just not aware of it (yet) because it's in some poor country with poor monitoring. But don't worry - I've referenced our excellent past trajectory and it will be labelled as a VOC by the time ~500k are dead from it.

so you think the variant is in the US

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Schnorkles posted:

ah wait, you can't.

uh

i just made a dummy gmail account to talk to goons without plat. consider doing that :shrug:

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

AceOfFlames posted:

I just don’t know what to do.

I will get the second dose tomorrow but will it even matter?

I don’t know if I can ever visit my parents again.

I don’t know if I will be able to eat inside the office (have to take off a mask to eat).

My brother now keeps inviting me to hang out with him and my niece.

I am the only person wearing a mask regularly despite cases in Norway hitting record highs.

I haven’t gotten any work done and might get fired (still in probation period) because I just can’t concentrate working at home.

Help. I just want to know what to do. How do I get a relationship now? How will I get friends? How will my life be worth it? It’s just work sleep work sleep. I save so much money and have no where to spend it. All just to keep breathing. How is this worth it?

you can’t be helped given your history of ignoring any and all advice. so drugs, drink til you forget. gently caress it all

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

i just made a dummy gmail account to talk to goons without plat. consider doing that :shrug:

yeah just did.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Whenever I see an appeal to authority, I think of "Growth in a Time of Debt.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

nexous posted:

you can’t be helped given your history of ignoring any and all advice. so drugs, drink til you forget. gently caress it all

I don’t ignore any and all advice, I just explain why it can’t work! It’s like I have a broken leg and people keep telling me variations of “walk it off”!

Also I hate drinking and am afraid of trying drugs.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

These people are functionally exactly the same as the flyover country Trump fans that were packing into Red Lobster last year while saying that they 'had to live their lives'. You know, the people they mocked.

It's more craven - Capital from the top-down has decided to gaslight "restrictions are bad", it's just that conservative pundits are framing it as "freedom" and liberal pundits are framing it as "science".

The pundits don't believe a word they're saying - they're basically all paid actors at this point.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

razorscooter posted:

js/python primarily. mostly bespoke web application design for scientific labs, primarily esdd.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

I'm sure the vaccine evading variants is gonna give a poo poo to what the #1 interconnected city in the world and their neolib rulers think

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

I went for a colonoscopy the other day. They said I needed to take my respirator off for the anesthesia. I kept my respirator and did it without anesthesia.

I mean half the fun of a colonoscopy is looking at the screen.

:stare:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Throatwarbler posted:

I went for a colonoscopy the other day. They said I needed to take my respirator off for the anesthesia. I kept my respirator and did it without anesthesia.

I mean half the fun of a colonoscopy is looking at the screen.

:stare:

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

so you think the variant is in the US

it’ll be isolated in China first, they’ll definitively trace it back to the US, but everyone will just say they’re lying and the democrats will call it the Qingdao virus

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

nurse erin is giving us the real poo poo from the nurse conspiracy
https://twitter.com/erin_bsn/status/1431643794231934980?s=20

"gently caress off, we're full!" :smug:

*monkey's paw curls*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Salt Fish posted:

My new theory is that people have always been this stupid, but the apparent infinite resources of earth helped hide it, and now that we're finally running into fundamental capacity limits the crunch is squeezing the stupidity out of us like a garlic press, making a smear of concentrated dumb-shittery that we're all slipping and sliding around in.

capacity limits?? :ducksiren::ducksiren: "you just set off the malthusian alarm", I yell on the way to collapse by 2040