Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

rt4 posted:

How hard do you need to stick to disqualifiers for an offer? I have one offer at $170k which has some solid perks such as paid training, then another for $200k + some performance-based stock grants (real stocks). The higher paying role would be the first on an internal support team with on-call duties and an "unlimited" vacation policy with no mandatory minimum. I'm worried that the higher paying job will stress me out with on-call, uncertain vacation boundaries, and general workplace chaos. On the other hand, I'm also worried that I'll feel stupid in the future for passing up a significant pay increase.

There's no losing option because I've come to hate my current job and it pays way less. Many people have worse dilemmas, of course :sigh:

How stressful oncall is is going to vary a lot by company and team, but it's a pretty common thing so I don't think it should be an automatic disqualifier. Ask them how long each shift is (eg 24x7 or are shifts split across teams in different time zones), how frequently you'll be oncall (eg 1 week every month), how many times per week your prospective team typically gets paged, and if there's any extra compensation for being oncall outside of work hours.

Ditto for unlimited vacation - it could be a net negative or a positive depending on the team and company cultures. My current company has unlimited vacation and I viewed that as a negative but their pitch was that half the company lives in Europe and that informs the vacation culture, and my manager told me he makes sure people take at least 4-5 weeks. Ask how many weeks people take each year on average, and ask your prospective team in particular how many weeks each person actually took last year.

Edly fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

rt4 posted:

How hard do you need to stick to disqualifiers for an offer? I have one offer at $170k which has some solid perks such as paid training, then another for $200k + some performance-based stock grants (real stocks). The higher paying role would be the first on an internal support team with on-call duties and an "unlimited" vacation policy with no mandatory minimum. I'm worried that the higher paying job will stress me out with on-call, uncertain vacation boundaries, and general workplace chaos. On the other hand, I'm also worried that I'll feel stupid in the future for passing up a significant pay increase.

There's no losing option because I've come to hate my current job and it pays way less. Many people have worse dilemmas, of course :sigh:
Most of the downside of unlimited vacation is without a set minimum number of days, you might not feel entitled to taking whatever days you need for vacation, and managers etc. might whine and there might be a social stigma because the amount of days isn't set. People feel more at ease about vacation if there's a specified number of days written. You can solve this problem by not giving a gently caress about what other people think or what the deadlines are and taking whatever vacation you want, and if they don't let you do it, leave. Pick a number (for yourself, at least, something like 30 or whatever you want it to be) and make sure you hit that number every fiscal year (or else you might forget to take it). If your manager or coworkers complain or you want more money for some reason, just switch to another, even higher paying job. There's no guarantee that the lower paying job is going to suck less than the higher paying job so you may as well make more money (and 30k + stock is not an insubstantial amount of money).

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
That seems like a good line of conversation: Unlimited vacation vs accrual

I favor an unlimited vacation policy over time accrual because I do a good job of taking a day off here and there and tend to drop big vacations for weeks like when family visits or when we go overseas. Accrual, I feel like, means a lot more foresight and planning has to go into time off.

But I'd be extremely wary of any unlimited policy that needs longer than a 2-week lead time and manager approval. And 2-week lead time is pushing it. I run my team such that they just have to put planned days on the calendar so that when they don't show up, we know that they're out.

Unused vacation paying out at the end favors unhealthy work habits. Take time off! It's important for your health!

e: As a manager, I do have to fight my employees to ensure they do take time for themselves. The company wasn't fond of it, but I encouraged a 2 month paternity leave for one of my devs (he came back after 6 because he was bored) and made the other extend his initial 2 week plan to 6. One of the harder things I've found, as a manager, was making sure that my devs don't crunch or stress themselves. If I don't watch a few of them, they'll do it in secret.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 31, 2021

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Earned but unused vacation balances accrue as a liability on the balance sheet and unlimited vacation avoids that little problem.

Subjectively, most unlimited vacation policies exist to be worker-unfriendly: you don't need to pay out unused balances because there aren't any. Especially if there isn't a mandatory minimum it's highly suspect.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, if I see unlimited vacation, I want there to be a mandatory minimum of like 3 weeks per year. Even then though, I'd be worried about culture and effects on career advancement. Like, say you don't take any time off during the year and are forced to take the entire month of December as vacation...how does that affect your team's and your manager's perception of you?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

My company switched from accrual to unlimited, then back to accrual but without payout. They call it "untracked", lol. The only reason I'm still here is because of the drat senioritis, as I get 5 weeks pto, plus about two weeks in regular days off. I tried to find a place where this would carry over at least partially, but no luck. I'm gladly continuing to exchange my personal life for figgies at this moment, tbh, as having a toddler during pandemic is a job in itself and far more rewarding.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I feel like the impact of unlimited vacation is just a force-multiplier on the existing culture/toxicity of the workplace in general. If it's a well-managed place with sane timelines and understanding of work-life balance, then unlimited vacation is a nice bonus for added flexibility and reduction of burnout without having to plan out a limited budget of days from the beginning of every year. On the other hand, in a toxic/mismanaged environment where there's more pressure and projects are constantly in need of emergency crunch, then the social pressure of not 'abandoning' coworkers in the poo poo will definitely drive down actual days taken off. The natural excuse of "oh I'm about to hit my PTO cap, just gotta take a week off or lose it" does a lot to stave off guilt-tripping and that protection is gone in bad unlimited leave environments.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Just quoting to make it a point that I'm still back here:

rt4 posted:

I have one offer at $170k which has some solid perks such as paid training, then another for $200k + some performance-based stock grants (real stocks). The higher paying role would be the first on an internal support team with on-call duties and an "unlimited" vacation policy with no mandatory minimum. I'm worried that the higher paying job will stress me out with on-call, uncertain vacation boundaries, and general workplace chaos. On the other hand, I'm also worried that I'll feel stupid in the future for passing up a significant pay increase.
You can try to convert that into a per-hour pay and infer some things about both to determine what your actual hourly pay will be. If the $170k job is 40 hours then that's one thing but if the $200k is 60 hours then you're getting paid less for it. You can try to put other things on the scale, but we all know that 60+ hours is automatically going to be very stressful because it's 60 hours. On the other hand, maybe the $170k place is something like 45 hours and the $200k place is 50 hours. Now it's tricky.

Previous people already said plenty about the on-call and the vacations. If you're trying to figure out what the deal is there, you can try to figure out real time off by what kind of vacations people have taken or when down time is (if you can get anybody to tell you). You can try to get some stories about emergencies to get an idea of what on-call actually is like if they won't just tell you what it's really like. And of course there are the usual things like referring to everybody like they're "one big family" or making a lot of emphasis that this isn't a 40-hour job that you can use as huge warning signs.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

gbut posted:

My company switched from accrual to unlimited, then back to accrual but without payout. They call it "untracked", lol. The only reason I'm still here is because of the drat senioritis, as I get 5 weeks pto, plus about two weeks in regular days off. I tried to find a place where this would carry over at least partially, but no luck. I'm gladly continuing to exchange my personal life for figgies at this moment, tbh, as having a toddler during pandemic is a job in itself and far more rewarding.

How does switching to untracked work with you have 5 weeks of pto? I would think that would have just torpedo'd your pto.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

It's accrued and tracked, but they call it "untracked" so they don't have to pay out if you leave.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Most of the downside of unlimited vacation is without a set minimum number of days, you might not feel entitled to taking whatever days you need for vacation, and managers etc. might whine and there might be a social stigma because the amount of days isn't set. People feel more at ease about vacation if there's a specified number of days written.

The classic hot-take is that it isn't really 'unlimited'. If you took every day off, you'd be fired. Therefore, there exists some max number, X, of vacation days that is acceptable to take. I would rather have X defined and accepted by everyone, on paper, than have it be up to the not-explicitly-stated whims/opinions/norms of my managerial hierarchy.

kayakyakr posted:

That seems like a good line of conversation: Unlimited vacation vs accrual

Accrual is annoying, and should really only be used for the first year of employment, if that.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The one with on-call told me it's never over 40 hours per week except potentially in case of on-call. So far, they won't commit to anything about the on-call volume. They say they have no data since I'm the first person in the role, but you'd think they could say something about how many complaints they ignore in a typical month!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

B-Nasty posted:

The classic hot-take is that it isn't really 'unlimited'. If you took every day off, you'd be fired. Therefore, there exists some max number, X, of vacation days that is acceptable to take. I would rather have X defined and accepted by everyone, on paper, than have it be up to the not-explicitly-stated whims/opinions/norms of my managerial hierarchy.

:yeah:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

rt4 posted:

They say they have no data since I'm the first person in the role, but you'd think they could say something about how many complaints they ignore in a typical month!

hot take no context city, but if they can't even ballpark it they are either lying and its bad or they don't know and its bad in a different way

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

rt4 posted:

How hard do you need to stick to disqualifiers for an offer? I have one offer at $170k which has some solid perks such as paid training, then another for $200k + some performance-based stock grants

Take the money job, at the six month mark start making plans to leave at the 18 or 24 month mark, bury all your excess winnings in an investment, then move to a more sustainable job

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

rt4 posted:

The one with on-call told me it's never over 40 hours per week except potentially in case of on-call. So far, they won't commit to anything about the on-call volume. They say they have no data since I'm the first person in the role, but you'd think they could say something about how many complaints they ignore in a typical month!

So, you're the only person on-call? Meaning, you would be on-call all the time? Usually you spread that responsibility across a team, so people can make plans, trade shifts with each other and, you know, actually enjoy their evenings most of the time.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Take the money job, at the six month mark start making plans to leave at the 18 or 24 month mark, bury all your excess winnings in an investment, then move to a more sustainable job

I'm inclined to agree, but this company appears to have very low turnover, so there may be good reason to stick around.

thotsky posted:

So, you're the only person on-call? Meaning, you would be on-call all the time? Usually you spread that responsibility across a team, so people can make plans, trade shifts with each other and, you know, actually enjoy their evenings most of the time.

Now they say it's one week per month, with less and less as they fill out the team

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I would go for the money, because you can always leave and there are no guarantees with the other job, but the on call stuff sounds pretty shady. I guess by the time you're onboarded there might be people to help carry the load, but depending on the complexity of the tasks responding to such calls entail that could take a while. Just seems like bad planning on their side.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
e: I would go for the money. If on-call after hours stuff becomes too much of an issue, just take corresponding time off when poo poo's not broken.

Hargrimm posted:

I feel like the impact of unlimited vacation is just a force-multiplier on the existing culture/toxicity of the workplace in general. If it's a well-managed place with sane timelines and understanding of work-life balance, then unlimited vacation is a nice bonus for added flexibility and reduction of burnout without having to plan out a limited budget of days from the beginning of every year. On the other hand, in a toxic/mismanaged environment where there's more pressure and projects are constantly in need of emergency crunch, then the social pressure of not 'abandoning' coworkers in the poo poo will definitely drive down actual days taken off. The natural excuse of "oh I'm about to hit my PTO cap, just gotta take a week off or lose it" does a lot to stave off guilt-tripping and that protection is gone in bad unlimited leave environments.

This is the benefit of being "da boss"... for my devs, as I get to dictate a lot of that culture, especially at a smaller company where I'm an underpaid director that probably 1:1's with a title of (early) Sr EM at most larger companies (plus aspects of being an actual director).

The downside is that I'm an underpaid director and also it matters for me if my boss is not down with that culture. Fortunately, for now, I like my boss and he's easy to work with.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's not that bad in this case because it's a big company with a new private cloud department. Chaos is inevitable. The people who interviewed me seemed kind, intelligent, and experienced. Hopefully my childhood traumas did not cause me to misjudge their character because I'm going for the money job!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

big question: is there oncall pay or can you take time in lieu? SREs at my job get quite the bump for doing oncall rotations. without that bump it'd be a hard sell imo

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I've always made the deal that I take 1:1 time off for time I spend responding to pager duty, I've never had anyone balk at this.

It's still bad, but less bad.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's no way I can handle on-call without becoming bitter! I'm going to choose the less money job

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Fwiw I've been on-call in different capacities for the past 5 years and it's never been that big of a deal. Sometimes it sucks, sometimes it's a week of nothing. I had the same concern when I took the job but it worked out pretty well and I'm glad I took that chance.

Without knowing anything about the experience is it that bad to try it out and if it sucks find another job? Worst case you've made extra cash and learned something about your tolerance for on-call and an idea of what to look for in your next interview loop re: that experience.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Just did my "additional" coding exercise and it basically followed the exact same question that I spent 4 hours doing in a takehome. Lmfao.

"Given a list of log lines, report when we meet some set of criteria based on a moving window for specific data fields" basically. It's not a hard problem to solve but to write and code out in 1 hour? loving insanity.

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 31, 2021

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
How are yall attracting these recruiters? Linkedin? Any good guides on how to fill out your profile?

I am 1.5 years into my first tech job doing data science. No ML/AI or anything like that but I am building the tools & frameworks the actual math nerds are using to create analytics (all python). I gravitate towards the software engineering activities and only took this job to get a foot in the door. So long story short I'd like to get a bonafide software engineer job but not sure where to start. I am making a hair over 100k & I guess around 130k T/C when I include insurance & vacation time. I'd like to see if I can do better. I had a ~6 year career in manufacturing & quality assurance at the same company before teaching myself to code and I will never get a large raise staying here.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

a dingus posted:

How are yall attracting these recruiters? Linkedin? Any good guides on how to fill out your profile?
Yeah I mostly flipped the switch that I was looking for a new job in LinkedIn and that opened the flood gates.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Personally I'm tempted to do that myself, but I'm worried about a dumb scenario where it becomes a ticking time bomb where my company actively tries to replace me while I'm still here and looking. I don't know if that's even a well founded fear, but it always slips into my mind with anything that can be searched anywhere.

I know LinkedIn has a feature to try to prevent my current company seeing me being open to roles, but my company somehow ended up with two company profiles on LinkedIn, so half my coworkers are in one and half are in the other. My boss is in one, my boss's boss is in another. The HR/Recruiters, probably the most likely to notice, seem to be pretty evenly split between the two also.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

a dingus posted:

Yeah, one offer from a LinkedIn recruiter for a company with an effectively unusable careers page, then another was a referral from an old friend. I just list my titles and have a link to a couple Github things, but that may not work so well for someone with less experience.

My resume is distinctly stronger than ever. I removed all mention of specific technologies. This was important for me since about half of it is in PHP, which makes many people assume I'm a doofus. Instead, nearly all of my roles have a couple bullet points of success stories with measurable outcomes. For example, "saved 20 programmer hours per month by automating this task" (lots of those), other things like "sharded application to fix recurring outages and increase capacity," and even "provided technical training and diagnostics to struggling big customer, preventing churn and increasing recurring revenue 7x"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

a dingus posted:

I guess around 130k T/C when I include insurance & vacation time

if you include insurance and vacation time in your TC you're gonna confuse a lot of people. TC = salary + bonus + stockstuff

to answer your question, though, it's mostly just flipping the switch. depending on how big you company is, you might be able to get yourself reclassified as a "SWE in data" or some crap with no material change that'd help your search

failing that, you can list yourslf as a python programmer on linkedin. just don't misrepresent your title on your resume

asur
Dec 28, 2012

wilderthanmild posted:

Personally I'm tempted to do that myself, but I'm worried about a dumb scenario where it becomes a ticking time bomb where my company actively tries to replace me while I'm still here and looking. I don't know if that's even a well founded fear, but it always slips into my mind with anything that can be searched anywhere.

I know LinkedIn has a feature to try to prevent my current company seeing me being open to roles, but my company somehow ended up with two company profiles on LinkedIn, so half my coworkers are in one and half are in the other. My boss is in one, my boss's boss is in another. The HR/Recruiters, probably the most likely to notice, seem to be pretty evenly split between the two also.

Just turn it on and if anyone asks then pretend you don't know what they're talking about and you always get random people contacting you on LinkedIn.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

asur posted:

Just turn it on and if anyone asks then pretend you don't know what they're talking about and you always get random people contacting you on LinkedIn.

Ironically saying "Oh God how did this get here I'm not good with computer" might be an effective strategy. More effective than being honest at least.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

I'm officially joining figgie land! Almost 4 years experience, going from 85k CAD total comp to 275,000 USD total comp + 20k signing bonus. Feels kind of insane and I'm happy and excited. Thanks thread for helping me gain some understanding and perspective on figgieland. Guess I'll see y'all at the next figgieland goon meetup lol

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

asur posted:

If you're not applying for other jobs on the company VPN are you even living?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

if you include insurance and vacation time in your TC you're gonna confuse a lot of people. TC = salary + bonus + stockstuff

to answer your question, though, it's mostly just flipping the switch. depending on how big you company is, you might be able to get yourself reclassified as a "SWE in data" or some crap with no material change that'd help your search

failing that, you can list yourslf as a python programmer on linkedin. just don't misrepresent your title on your resume

Cool thanks for the tip about t/c! I thought it included the benes obviously.

Im doing my best to market myself as a swe but have my job title as "Data Scientist (Software Engineer)" on my resume.

I guess I gotta just add more information to my profile that will entice recruiters. I still get people trying to hire me for manufacturing roles which I couldn't be repulsed more by.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

awesomeolion posted:

I'm officially joining figgie land! Almost 4 years experience, going from 85k CAD total comp to 275,000 USD total comp + 20k signing bonus. Feels kind of insane and I'm happy and excited. Thanks thread for helping me gain some understanding and perspective on figgieland. Guess I'll see y'all at the next figgieland goon meetup lol

Awesome! Congrats

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

sim posted:

Awesome! Congrats

Yayy. I guess since people were sharing progressions, I can add that my
current job (not for long) is my first dev job and I started at $47,500 CAD

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

a dingus posted:

Im doing my best to market myself as a swe but have my job title as "Data Scientist (Software Engineer)" on my resume.

Is data scientist really a lower-tier title in software development?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there's two kinds of data scientist in common usage

"I pull up poo poo on excel and maybe a python notebook or something and make the cool powerpoint reports for management" - tends to be paid less and considered lower-tier.

"I code poo poo in product that needs statistical sophistication" - not paid less, not considered lower-tier.

and often of course lots of effort is made for one to seem like the other, both in job recs and resumes. it seems like dingus is #2 but is gettin paid like #1, which is why job recs pull the ol' bait and switch on that front

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
On a side note, it's been kind of funny to get cold-call recruitment emails by multiple recruiters and managers at this point who refuse to share even the vaguest info on comp ranges up front, even when directly asked (serving up the usual "competitive with the market", "case by case basis" management BS instead). Either these people are blind to the current market or they're desperately hoping that I am.