Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
None of the on field play that ever happens in the preseason amounts to jack poo poo and it's almost entirely meaningless. I can't believe people keep falling for this every year tbh.

Pre season football tells us nothing and never really has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Nonsense, it tells us who's ACLs are too weak for a man's game.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jalen Hurts may suck, but at least he's vaccinated

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Preseason football told me that Gardner Minshew was an NFL starting quarterback and thus it is good.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

BiggerBoat posted:

Pre season football tells us nothing and never really has.

This is not true. Game three of the preseason in 2006, Bill Parcells started Tony Romo and left him in all four quarters. Bill knew that Payton wanted Romo and that the kid had talent, but he was unsure about whether he could handle the pressure of all four quarters in an NFL game. Game 3 at the time was the dress rehearsal scrimmage for the regular season, so Romo played against the first team defense for at least a half. He excelled in that game, which made Parcells confident that he could go to Romo if Bledsoe got hurt or just sucked.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is not true. Game three of the preseason in 2006, Bill Parcells started Tony Romo and left him in all four quarters. Bill knew that Payton wanted Romo and that the kid had talent, but he was unsure about whether he could handle the pressure of all four quarters in an NFL game. Game 3 at the time was the dress rehearsal scrimmage for the regular season, so Romo played against the first team defense for at least a half. He excelled in that game, which made Parcells confident that he could go to Romo if Bledsoe got hurt or just sucked.

It's very true. You're citing one example and ignoring the hundreds of times some player flashed something and looked like a world beater that got everyone hyped for a NY minute. You may get a look at a player or two here and there but there's next to zero correlation between preseason and regular season success and it's very well documented.

I'll cede the argument regardless just to move on.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
For just one other great example, Victor Cruz owned in the 2010 preseason, and then was huge for the Giants in 2011.

The comedy option is also Chiefs fans masturbating to Patrick Mahomes preseason gifs in 2017.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

BiggerBoat posted:

It's very true. You're citing one example and ignoring the hundreds of times some player flashed something and looked like a world beater that got everyone hyped for a NY minute. You may get a look at a player or two here and there but there's next to zero correlation between preseason and regular season success and it's very well documented.

My point was that preseason football can be indicative of some individuals, but it is definitely not indicative of team performance.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

It was just a (well-taken) opportunity to talk about Tony romo (which I support)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Preseason absolutely matters but it's boring and lovely and the way it matters is more benign like "this guy fits in as a starter in this league" more than "this guy is a future star"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
My desire to see a preseason win has everything to do with "I just wanna see a win on this random August weekend" and nothing to do with "I think this win means something in the grand scheme of the season."

Like, am I concerned that the Cowboys are one injury away from tapping into the doodoo pile that is the practice squad? Yeah sure, but not moreso than any other season.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/WhatGoingDowney/status/1432691756122976256?s=19

The end of an era

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The sun sets on the greatest.cowboys QB to have a vaguely Italian last name, since Vinny Testaverde

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

gently caress the Cowboys for depriving us of Ben DiNucci.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Here are the QBs carson wentz beat last year
Nick Mullens (I dont think hes actually a football player)
Ben DiNucci (lol)
Taysom Hill (literally not a QB even)
Dan Jones who had one of the worst games as a qb ever

Wow lol

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Please remove your hats as we observe a brief moment of silence for Ben DiNucci.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So Gilbert is all that remains?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I think they also kept Cooper Rush as well.

I think this also means the thread title is accurate again. Still, RIP Ben DiNucci.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cooper rush knows where the bodies are buried or something? Is his paycheck slightly less expensive? Are we grooming another player-to-coach situation?

I am so confused.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Gilbert cut, too.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

blarzgh posted:

Gilbert cut, too.

Haha, cooper rush might have been the worst of them all yet he is all that is left.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

euphronius posted:

Here are the QBs carson wentz beat last year
Nick Mullens (I dont think hes actually a football player)
Ben DiNucci (lol)
Taysom Hill (literally not a QB even)
Dan Jones who had one of the worst games as a qb ever

Wow lol

Wow can't believe you're giving him credit for beating the Saints when he didn't even play. I always knew you were a big Wentz fan.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

blarzgh posted:

Gilbert cut, too.

They cut DiNucci and AAF GOAT Gilbert?!

Seriously, gently caress the Cowboys, they’re not allowing us any fun.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Sickening posted:

Haha, cooper rush might have been the worst of them all yet he is all that is left.

DiNucci was absolutely rear end, are you kidding me

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Maximum comedy option as an Eagles fan: Dallas have Flacco when we cut him.

I hope we cut him.

WHOA...New England cut Cam Newton

https://sports.yahoo.com/england-patriots-cut-cam-newton-142308353.html

so do the needful, Jerry, and entertain me.

Actually, that wouldn't be a bad fit.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 31, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

DiNucci was absolutely rear end, are you kidding me

They are both poo poo. One has just been poo poo for twice as long. Seems weird to get rid of the one you have known is a turd the longest.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jota posted:

Wow can't believe you're giving him credit for beating the Saints when he didn't even play. I always knew you were a big Wentz fan.

I’ve made a horrible mistake !!!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Sickening posted:

They are both poo poo. One has just been poo poo for twice as long. Seems weird to get rid of the one you have known is a turd the longest.

I dont think Rush is any gem by any means, but he's at least familiar with the system. Between him and Nooch it's no choice.

Gilbert should have been way better, but he never really showed it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Gilbert always had the most talent, but couldn't string together two smart decisions in a row. Rush is a below-average backup, and I expect they'll find someone off the street like Cam.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
WFT is going into the season with a 103 year old mediocre QB, backed up by superstar in waiting Heineken man who is already 28. I think adding a washed Cam Newton is clearly the right call for maximum drama.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

predicto posted:

WFT is going into the season with a 103 year old mediocre QB, backed up by superstar in waiting Heineken man who is already 28. I think adding a washed Cam Newton is clearly the right call for maximum drama.

Rivera doesn’t want him back or he would’ve never let him go to New England in the first place.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I suspect his selfish vaxx stance would also do him no favors in the eyes of rivera.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Cowboys are already allegedly pursuing Cam.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Cowboys are already allegedly pursuing Cam.

Is this real? Lmao

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Superstar WR Travis Fulgham being waived, possibly will end up on the practice squad.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Sickening posted:

Is this real? Lmao

I saw a tweet about it in the news views thread earlier therefore its real to me.

However, since he's unvaccinated, he's gotta wait 5 days before he can participate in any team activities even if signed.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Mr. Nice! posted:

I saw a tweet about it in the news views thread earlier therefore its real to me.

However, since he's unvaccinated, he's gotta wait 5 days before he can participate in any team activities even if signed.

Does Throatzilla count as a “team activity”?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Quiet Feet posted:

Superstar WR Travis Fulgham being waived, possibly will end up on the practice squad.

I don’t loving get it. They didn’t even try to use him!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

It kinda makes sense for Dallas.

Dak is coming off a gruesome injury, their backups are turds and Cam brings a little of what Prescott does minus the whole accuracy part. They obviously think they have a clear shot at the division, and rightfully so. Why the gently caress not?

EDit; And Of course Philly would waive the one WR that showed anything close to production last year and loving keep Whiteside.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Cartoon Man posted:

Rivera doesn’t want him back or he would’ve never let him go to New England in the first place.

Exactly. Maximum drama