Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

Just started reading, and yet also just about to wrap up, Emperors Soul. Why didn’t I read it sooner? Cool magic system and I’m looking forward to seeing how things fold into the greater Cosmere other than the mention of the three realms.

One interesting bit not in the book is that the Moon Scepter is that the moon scepter might play an important role in future cosmere events. Or more likely, the knowledge it represents will--there are a lot more WoBs about it than i had realized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Slanderer posted:

One interesting bit not in the book is that the Moon Scepter is that the moon scepter might play an important role in future cosmere events. Or more likely, the knowledge it represents will--there are a lot more WoBs about it than i had realized

I do t really read the WoBs because there are a lot and they get hard to sort through, any particularly juicy ones?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

I do t really read the WoBs because there are a lot and they get hard to sort through, any particularly juicy ones?

These aren't really spoilers IMO since they're not from anything that's been published, but in case anyone disagrees, here's a brief summary of the WoB's and speculation compiled on the wiki:

The moon scepter is a rosetta stone for the magic systems of Sel. It's unclear if it's invested, but it contains the knowledge (written on it or otherwise) to translate between the various magic systems (aon dor, dakhor, forgery, etc) and gives insight into the underlying mechanics of the Dor. It might give on a clue on how to "program" the Dor in ways that transcend the limitations of the existing magical systems (whether that means removing geographical limitations, transcoding a spell from one system to another or accessing a foreign land's system directly--any of these might be possible). Hoid just wanted the information it contained, which might provide a link in a larger scheme or plan across the Cosmere

edit: one interesting WoB that was linked, but not directly connected, makes me think of a certain someone from Stormlight:

quote:

Pagerunner
Can you hint at a form of Selish magic we haven't seen yet?

Brandon Sanderson
It is about patterns...

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/316/#e11244

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 29, 2021

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I also didn’t even pick up that Hoid was the emperor’s fool but considering his position as Wit it makes total sense. I should have guessed

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It’s incredible how well Sanderson captures the humor of the action adventure genre in the Wax and Wayne books.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

It’s incredible how well Sanderson captures the humor of the action adventure genre in the Wax and Wayne books.

The inserts depicting episodes of Allomancer Jak are especially good

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I just had the initial hotel room scene in Bands of Mourning and it was very good.

MeLaan coming out and saying “Should I make my breasts large, small, or very large” just about killed me.

The Wax and Wayne books capture almost the exact same tone as the 1999 Mummy film and I loving love it.

I tried to describe them to my wife all I could think was “The 1999 Mummy film crossed with the Uncharted games crossed with the RDJ Sherlock Holmes films with a little John Wick-style action.”

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Mordiceius posted:

I just had the initial hotel room scene in Bands of Mourning and it was very good.

Wait until you get to the scene of them leaving!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Finished part 2 of Bands of Mourning. One complaint I had in the first half of the book was that a bunch happened but not much of it seemed connected or that it mattered. It felt like a bunch of random distractions. Then Edwarn comes and says “Yes, that’s the point. You fool. You absolute loving moron.” I’m back on board.

Also, I really like Steris joining the crew properly. She was barely around for books one and two so it’s nice that she finally has some time to shine.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I just literally shouted “OH gently caress”

Edit -

Explanation (Bands of Mourning) - So I always had a problem with the “Suit is breeding allomancers” plot point in these books.

My issues were threefold:
1 - it just felt a little… out of character for Brandon. Like, Tindwyl had been a “breeder” in the past but that feels less gross than “this group of women has not yet been but is going to be repeatedly raped for decades.” Sanderson is not GRRM.

2 - It also just tonally doesn’t fit with the rest of the book. The originally trilogy has an undercurrent of dread and despair. This one is more comedy action adventure. A major plot point of “lots of rape” feels out of place.

3 - it just logistically doesn’t make sense. Allomancers are more common in bloodlines with strong heritage, but they’re still incredibly rare. They mention that allomancy is 1 in 1000 in the general public. Even if you increase that dramatically to 1 in 10 for strong bloodlines, you’re not going to “breed” an army of allomancers that quickly. Plus, they would be goddamn babies. You’re looking at 30-50 years, at best. Edwarn would not live to see this. The plot never made sense.

But now we have discovered allomancy grenades. I’m sure we’re going to find other ways to “store” expended allomantic energy. We can separate identify from investiture.

So here is my theory - Edwarn isn’t putting together a group of allomancy “breeders,” he is creating a group of allomancy ”batteries” - which is far more useful far more quickly. (And way less gross)

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 31, 2021

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mordiceius posted:

Edit -

Explanation (Bands of Mourning) - So I always had a problem with the “Suit is breeding allomancers” plot point in these books.

1 - it just felt a little… out of character for Brandon. Like, Tindwyl had been a “breeder” in the past but that feels less gross than “this group of women has not yet been but is going to be repeatedly raped for decades.” Sanderson is not GRRM.

2 - It also just tonally doesn’t fit with the rest of the book. The originally trilogy has an undercurrent of dread and despair. This one is more comedy action adventure. A major plot point of “lots of rape” feels out of place.

3 - it just logistically doesn’t make sense. Allomancers are more common in bloodlines with strong heritage, but they’re still incredibly rare. They mention that allomancy is 1 in 1000 in the general public. Even if you increase that dramatically to 1 in 10 for strong bloodlines, you’re not going to “breed” an army of allomancers that quickly. Plus, they would be goddamn babies. You’re looking at 30-50 years, at best. Edwarn would not live to see this. The plot never made sense.

But now we have discovered allomancy grenades. I’m sure we’re going to find other ways to “store” expended allomantic energy. We can separate identify from investiture.

So here is my theory - Edwarn isn’t putting together a group of allomancy “breeders,” he is creating a group of allomancy ”batteries” - which is far more useful far more quickly. (And way less gross)

¿Por que no los dos?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol no one reply to mord with any details about anything until they finish Bands

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I feel like Brandon has played some video games before. (I joke. I know he’s an avid gamer.)

It is consistently incredible how much the Mistborn books feel like a video game system with each new book adding new DLC/expansion content that expands the gameplay mechanics.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Looking forward to them finishing up Bands. :allears:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The first half of Bands felt like a really slow burn to me. Way more than the other two books. I think this is because in both of the other books, there is a clear antagonist early on to focus on. In this book it’s just like “The Set” (and, I guess, Edwarn) but they’re too “untouchable Illuminati” to be a lightning rod antagonist like Miles or PaAlm. This left the first half of the book feeling kind of meandering. Which… it turns out was the point. Lol.

I hope we get to see something more from Edwarn beyond “shadowy puppet master.” That gimmick can only last so long before feeling tired.

What I’m trying to say is: Give 👏 Edwarn 👏 Ladrian 👏 a 👏 giant 👏 robot 👏 mech 👏 suit.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 31, 2021

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mordiceius posted:

What I’m trying to say is: Give 👏 Edwarn 👏 Ladrian 👏 a 👏 giant 👏 robot 👏 mech 👏 suit.

Things I want to see in Mistborn Era 3 or 4: allomantic power armor

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

ConfusedUs posted:

Things I want to see in Mistborn Era 3 or 4: allomantic power armor

I'd also like to see future power armor from Sixth of Dusk, except the armor is in the form of a chicken.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Just finished up Edgedancer, about to start up Oathbringer.

All I'll say is that Lift is the best and her dynamic with Wyndle is truly endearing. Oh and what the gently caress was up with that monster made of bugs? That's some Worm That Walks poo poo.

I also read Warbreaker and my big takeaway from that book is that is amazing to see just how far a writer can progress over the course of their career. That book was loaded top to bottom with problems. Still an enjoyable enough read, but I'm glad it wasn't my first Sanderson novel.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

if they're gonna compete with all that rosharan magic armor then i expect future scadrians to be full

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Welp. Had another “holy gently caress” moment.

I have played enough Final Fantasy games to know a loving airship when I see one.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Mordiceius posted:

I have played enough Final Fantasy games to know a loving airship when I see one.

Got dang I love Bands of Mourning.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

The book is sooo good. Wait until the finale... finales? There's a lot to talk about!

Also, you can read/listen to Mistborn: Secret History after finishing Bands of Mourning, which could maybe make you shout "holy gently caress" some more.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

External Organs posted:

Got dang I love Bands of Mourning.

It is so different from the original trilogy that it feels unfair to ever compare them. This series, I feel, is just a lot more fun.

Vin’s saga has so many good epic mind blowing moments. The scope and scale is unmatched.

Wax’s saga just leaves me smiling the whole time. Though I’m still hosed up from the ending of Shadows of Self. That’s probably the most heart breaking moments I’ve read from Sanderson thus far.

Torrannor posted:

Also, you can read/listen to Mistborn: Secret History after finishing Bands of Mourning, which could maybe make you shout "holy gently caress" some more.

I look forward to it. I have the Arcanum audiobook from when I listened to The Emperor’s Soul, so I’ll be jumping right into Secret History after Bands of Mourning.

I’m on the cusp of the final third of Bands of Mourning and I feel like I’m approaching the big drop in a rollercoaster with no clue what I’ll find on the other side.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 31, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

This is a great reminder to reread the Wax series of books. My recall of the plot is approximately 0.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Serf posted:

All I'll say is that Lift is the best and her dynamic with Wyndle is truly endearing. Oh and what the gently caress was up with that monster made of bugs? That's some Worm That Walks poo poo.

I also read Warbreaker and my big takeaway from that book is that is amazing to see just how far a writer can progress over the course of their career. That book was loaded top to bottom with problems. Still an enjoyable enough read, but I'm glad it wasn't my first Sanderson novel.

The spoiler thing… without taking too much but they show up places from time to time, keep reading and you will notice little bits and nots now that you have seen one

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Serf posted:

All I'm going to say is that you better make sure that you read Dawnshard after Oathbringer, don't loving miss it.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Potato Salad posted:

All I'm going to say is that you better make sure that you read Dawnshard after Oathbringer, don't loving miss it.

This.

Dawnshard should have been in Rhythm of War, it's so good.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

But then where would we fit in all those Venli/Eshonai chapters??

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Barreft posted:

This.

Dawnshard should have been in Rhythm of War, it's so good.

Agreed. Dawnshard is the best Stormlight Archive book.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dawnshard annoyed me for one specific reason: I read it thinking it was going to (ROW spoilers, including ROW ending) tie directly into the events of ROW in major ways but what we got was stuff like the idea for the airship coming up there, not that the Dawnshard itself played any sort of direct role. Though maybe it'll be a big part of the end of the first arc, since it's Change and could change Odium's nature to something more benevolent since Todium in and of itself probably isn't going to be enough.

OTOH, Dawnshard gave us more of The Lopen and therefore it's worth reading.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Brandon Sanderson understands the Rule of Cool to a dangerous degree.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Mordiceius posted:

Edit -

Hemalurgy exists.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Goddamn. I just know that Telsin is evil. I feel it and it is very upsetting to me.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It is genuinely upsetting. Poor Wax...

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Looking forward to you finising because there's some new discussion to be had about unkeyed metalminds

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Subvisual Haze posted:

Hemalurgy exists.

This is one of the things that always stuck out as weird in the Wax and Wayne books. People with money and power would know about it and how it works so if robber baron type wanted to be a Mistborn they could fund the kidnapping and murder of a bunch of people to make it happen. The only reason I can think of it not happening is because one or more of Marsh noticing and taking action since he can probably more than handle any hemalurgic Mistborn who is getting used to their new power, the Kandra acting on their own to eliminate the person, or maybe Harmony intervening and using the extremely strong connection to that person to guilt trip them until they break but that doesn't seem very harmonious.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ummmmmmm. ”The darkness arrived. And Wax died.” UMMMMMMMMMM

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Mordiceius posted:

Ummmmmmm. ”The darkness arrived. And Wax died.” UMMMMMMMMMM
:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Mordiceius posted:

Brandon Sanderson understands the Rule of Cool to a dangerous degree.

This is, in fact, part of Sanderson's Zeroeth Law: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATNvOk5rIJA&t=4253s