Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

MakaVillian posted:

They definitely underestimated how angry people would be calling an election right now. I get that they were riding high in opinion polls but it seems like a real short-sighted move, especially when they knew a 4th wave was coming or was already here.

Angry? I'm pumped. Give the Libs their majority, let them implement aggressive vaxx mandates, take away a little freedom that we, as a population, are too dumb to handle and pick up the other lefty stuff in 4 years.

https://twitter.com/gmbutts/status/1414580885937086464

I've mentally catalogued voluntary non-vaxxers closer to drunk driving than second hand smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
In Nova Scotia news, looks like Houston’s plan for health care involves splitting the Dept of Health & Wellness into 3 departments (Health & Wellness, Mental Health, and Seniors & Long Term Care), along with an office of Health Care Professionals Recruitment. Seems like a loss of efficiency, but maybe the increased spotlight on homecare and long-term care will be a good thing? :crossarms: Guess we’ll find out

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How many homes does Houston own as a landlord.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

A third as many as he's about to, from the sounds of things

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Crow Buddy posted:

I would rather err on the side of being overly cautious on the risk of infection among the vaccinated.

Right, but "vaccination doesn't stop people from transmitting the virus," without any further elaboration, sounds an awful lot like the lie that vaccines don't work. The truth is closer to "vaccination is 100% effective" than to "vaccination is 0% effective."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

tagesschau posted:

Right, but "vaccination doesn't stop people from transmitting the virus," without any further elaboration, sounds an awful lot like the lie that vaccines don't work. The truth is closer to "vaccination is 100% effective" than to "vaccination is 0% effective."

The problem is most people cannot handle any nuance whatsoever.

I mean, look at what's going on: they simply cannot deal with anything but certainty and very basic statements for the most part.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Angry? I'm pumped. Give the Libs their majority, let them implement aggressive vaxx mandates, take away a little freedom that we, as a population, are too dumb to handle and pick up the other lefty stuff in 4 years.

https://twitter.com/gmbutts/status/1414580885937086464

I've mentally catalogued voluntary non-vaxxers closer to drunk driving than second hand smoke.

What vax mandates lol. The one where federal government employees have to get vaccinated (but also won’t be fired if they don’t)?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Looks like the libs may have made a bad call here. It's early days but the prediction market has quite the gap.

I threw in a few bucks for lib majority day 1 since "why would they call it if they didn't think they had an easy one?"

Have now thrown a few more at "any other outcome" to hedge.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I find it hard to believe that BC's highest recorded daily case count was only 1293 back in April. The new modeling is suggesting up to 1200 a day by the end of September with new cases. So much of BCs announcements stink of cases being underreported and we know they've been obfuscating key information on how the pandemic has spread in the province.

1293 seems like it was a lowball.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

The best part is the Tories are getting the exact same 34% they had in 2019

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Typo posted:

The best part is the Tories are getting the exact same 34% they had in 2019

So it looks like progressives are getting tired of the Liberals and their empty promises and slowly bleeding off to the NDP. I hope that THIS TIME with more youth voter engagement that the swing vote to the Tories won't be bigger than the progressive swing to NDP. Or else FPTP will give us at least a conservative minority if not worse. It seems post 2019 polls greatly overestimate support for centrist/liberal parties versus conservatives. There might be a shy tory effect in play here. I know people who are so fed up with mask mandates and vaccinations (I work with some of them!) and they're flying off the deep end to vote PPC even!.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

sitchensis posted:

The conspiracy mind in me thinks that this election might have been a set up by insiders to turf Trudeau and bring in a new leader. I have heard a rumor that Mark Carney is being groomed as a replacement.

Cool. The last Liberal leader the party decided to import worked out very well for them.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Not that many of you kind folk are the target for this poo poo, but please don't vote for the grits just because the more bad guys are ahead. Life will be worse under the CPC but the libs need to stop getting a pass because of that.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Just vote for the good party!

Lol, jk, give it to the ndp or a throwaway Marxist/Rino party.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

This, but unironically. Still waiting for Jagmentum to collapse at the last possible second like it always does for the NDP and all the scared pissbaby voters to go running back to the Libs and Cons when it down to put up or shut up time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also how beautifully circular is it that Trudeau's aspirational hubris at once was both the thing that saved us from Harperland AND the the thing that condemned us to return to Harperland at warp speed?

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

This, but unironically. Still waiting for Jagmentum to collapse at the last possible second like it always does for the NDP and all the scared pissbaby voters to go running back to the Libs and Cons when it down to put up or shut up time.

My hope is this time people stick with NDP since while Cons might get to be "in charge", it doesn't look like they can form a majority, so it's not like they'll get to steamroll their legislation through. They're not making any gains it's just Liberal losses. There's no Canadian Trump train we have to derail, the people that are really scared this election are either already hard Cons or jumping to People's Party because of scary vaccine passports we've had for decades.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Embrace the glory of Interim Premier Goertzen.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/kelvin-goertzen-to-become-manitoba-s-next-premier-1.5568544

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

nine-gear crow posted:

Also how beautifully circular is it that Trudeau's aspirational hubris at once was both the thing that saved us from Harperland AND the the thing that condemned us to return to Harperland at warp speed?

:ssh: we never left harperland

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

So it looks like progressives are getting tired of the Liberals and their empty promises and slowly bleeding off to the NDP. I hope that THIS TIME with more youth voter engagement that the swing vote to the Tories won't be bigger than the progressive swing to NDP. Or else FPTP will give us at least a conservative minority if not worse. It seems post 2019 polls greatly overestimate support for centrist/liberal parties versus conservatives. There might be a shy tory effect in play here. I know people who are so fed up with mask mandates and vaccinations (I work with some of them!) and they're flying off the deep end to vote PPC even!.

Hi and welcome to the Orange Mirage.

(These votes will flip Lib on polling day)

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Can't wait to celebrate the decimal-percent NDP gains from the previous government over the next five years of getting turbofucked by Nazis neoconservative fascists.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Bleck posted:

Can't wait to celebrate the decimal-percent NDP gains from the previous government over the next five years of getting turbofucked by Nazis neoconservative fascists.

Their best showing yet!

It helps if you realize that at least some of the party insiders still look fondly on the "Orange Crush" of 2011, wherein they were the official opposition, and completely powerless against a CPC majority. That's the high water mark for these folks.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 1, 2021

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Isn't that how Horwath is running the ONDP too?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Their best showing yet!

It helps if you realize that at least some of the party insiders still look fondly on the "Orange Crush" of 2011, wherein they were the official opposition, and completely powerless against a CPC majority. That's the high water mark for these folks.

It's precisely this kind of attitude that makes me resent the NDP. The height of their seat count was like the worst era for Canada since NAFTA and the cuts under Chretien. Granted we have nothing but the libs to blame for this but the NDP piss me off because they're a false choice. They're a party that is left of everyone else but has no real plans to form government, or be a credible alterative to the liberals. The NDP are basically French's ketchup when the store is sold out of Heinz.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Aces High posted:

Absolutely and its frustrating as hell to watch. The Cons landed a sweeping majority but the NDP gained a few seats to mark their highest seat total since the Rae days and that is seen as resounding success.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Aces High posted:

I mean, they've got the most MPPs in parliament today since 1990, so who's to say she's wrong?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Absolutely and its frustrating as hell to watch. The Cons landed a sweeping majority but the NDP gained a few seats to mark their highest seat total since the Rae days and that is seen as resounding success.

It's a resounding success for the party, the insiders and whatever fundraising they were able to achieve from this.
Their entire political goal is to get as many of the candidates they personally like and feel connected to into Queen's Park or Parliament Hill so they can grift off govt salaries and build sinecures for themselves via govt and associated thinktanks. Change my mind.
The best thing that could ever happen to Canada is if the NDP became electorally insignificant and a real social democratic party replaces them and prevents any of the failsons from joining and starting another grift.

Canada is packed with real social-democratic talent. I'm convinced there's people out there who'd do a good job if there was a vehicle/party for them to ascend into politics through. Instead the NDP sit there and occupy that spot in our political spectrum and are basically dead weight that keeps us from getting a real party that actually wants to do something.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 1, 2021

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Went to a bar after a slow pitch game only for someone to ask "so who is everyone voting for?" and one guy to say he was debating between the People's Party and Maverick party. Then I remembered where he lives and his PPC nominee is Derek Sloan.

fuckin ugh

FUCKIN UGH

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

Kraftwerk posted:

It's a resounding success for the party, the insiders and whatever fundraising they were able to achieve from this.
Their entire political goal is to get as many of the candidates they personally like and feel connected to into Queen's Park or Parliament Hill so they can grift off govt salaries and build sinecures for themselves via govt and associated thinktanks. Change my mind.
The best thing that could ever happen to Canada is if the NDP became electorally insignificant and a real social democratic party replaces them and prevents any of the failsons from joining and starting another grift.

Canada is packed with real social-democratic talent. I'm convinced there's people out there who'd do a good job if there was a vehicle/party for them to ascend into politics through. Instead the NDP sit there and occupy that spot in our political spectrum and are basically dead weight that keeps us from getting a real party that actually wants to do something.

Ok, so who are you voting for then.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
I think once I was in my 20s I realized any politician running for office is doing it out of narcissism and to further their career. That's obvious and true for every party.

When the liberals are hated the NDP mops up their votes. It's not their fault that situation can lead to a conservative majority. The solution isn't to abolish the NDP it's to abolish FPTP which is what leads to this happening.

Abolishing the NDP and creating a "real" sociodemocratic party is never going to happen. No party can exist in our capitalist institutions and remain unaffected by them. All that would result is a two part system with the liberals gaining all the NDP votes. What you are basically proposing is a merger between the liberals and ndp. That's not good for anyone.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Or the Liberals pull an Ontario and actively sabotage the NDP because they consider Conservatives to be preferable to someone even the tiniest, wispiest hair to the left

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

linoleum floors posted:

Space Jam

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I want the NDP more than I want the Liberals so that's who I'm going to vote for. I've bought into the Libs protection racket for the last 20-ish years and I'm done with it.

"Oh no, you don't have to vote for me, but it sure would be a shame if you voted for someone else and the Conservatives came and burned your house down."

What will be, will be.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

linoleum floors posted:

The NDP. But I do so with resentment and knowledge it helps the conservatives in my riding because the NDP will never win here.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

quote:

Starting Sept. 22, proof of vaccination will be required at many non-essential businesses in Ontario, including gyms and movie theatres, and will be needed to dine indoors at restaurants under the province’s new COVID-19 vaccine certificate program, government sources confirm to CTV News Toronto.
According to the sources, a vaccine certificate will not be required for retail shopping and outdoor dining but those who intend to go to concerts or other large, organized gatherings must be fully vaccinated.

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/proof-of-vaccination-will-be-required-at-movie-theatres-gyms-restaurants-in-ontario-sources-1.5569180

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

So here's my question.

What are the consequences for businesses that say "we will not be checking vaccine passports"?

Any consequences? Because I can already hear the howling from some insane gym people.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I feel like maybe having these mandates figured out before everyone started vaccinating so that we could have certificates actually given to people instead of probably cramming everyone into a wait list to get it would have been prudent.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Kraftwerk posted:

The NDP. But I do so with resentment and knowledge it helps the conservatives in my riding because the NDP will never win here.

The NDP still isn't even bothering to run a candidate in my riding yet so I guess I'll send them another $3 and sit out.

MA-Horus posted:

What are the consequences for businesses that say "we will not be checking vaccine passports"?

In Manitoba we haven't even implemented our announced mandate like this yet and already there's a list of places that have openly advertised "we won't be checking your vaxx card!".

As you suggested, a lot of them are gyms for whatever reason.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 1, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Bleck posted:

I feel like maybe having these mandates figured out before everyone started vaccinating so that we could have certificates actually given to people instead of probably cramming everyone into a wait list to get it would have been prudent.

If it's like Quebec there won't be any real wait for all but a handful of people. You just have to show a QR code and ID matching the information the QR code pulls up.

You can either use an app, a pdf, or a printout of that pdf to show the code. It's not like the government is individually sending each person a card.

I guess if you don't have a phone and no way to access a printer (libraries are explicitly excluded from requiring the passport though) then yeah it might be a little tricky.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 1, 2021