Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Yeah, the loosening announced by Dan is just a token gesture to help appease people I think.

Unfortunately I don't think that'll work cause anyone that's real aggrieved by the lockdown will realise that the stuff he talked about is basically inconsequential in terms of improving our lives, and anyone who actually wanted to get on top of this will be pissed because he'd just conceded defeat while acknowledging that this poo poo will go on for months longer.

Given the contract tracking seems to be struggling already (delays in announcing exposure sites and quarantine status) it wont be long before the system collapses. Hope those boffins that set the 70/80% double dose targets update the modelling to show the complete failure of the system as we currently stand.

Edit because gently caress Gladys:

quote:

NSW's Delta death toll reached 100 and more than 1,000 new COVID-19 cases were recorded for the fifth consecutive day as Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the state had done "very well"

"I know that people will not believe me when I say this, but we have done very well to keep the case numbers where they are, given our population, given the spread," Ms Berejiklian said.

"In fact if you look at the trajectory of where Victoria's case numbers are going, I will let people make those comparisons themselves, but having been through this, we know how quickly case numbers get up to where we are now.

"And, had we not taken the measures we had, they would have been much higher."

Periphery fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
There's nowhere near enough aim being taken at scomo and the federal government for botching the vaccine rollout so incredibly badly imo. Singapore is hitting (or has hit?) 90% vax of total population and we're here still floundering. A friend here in ACT 16-29 age group just booked his first jab - two loving months lead time

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Tommunist posted:

Brain boom.

Love to work in super lovely insecure work while studying and just not be able to pay bills and be totally let down by both the federal and States governments inability to support people through the loving plague.

Sorry mate.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
yeah i am extraordinarily lucky that my family is a: willing to put up with me b: not severely imposed by me quitting a lovely, terrible job during a pandemic

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

abigserve posted:

There's nowhere near enough aim being taken at scomo and the federal government for botching the vaccine rollout so incredibly badly imo. Singapore is hitting (or has hit?) 90% vax of total population and we're here still floundering. A friend here in ACT 16-29 age group just booked his first jab - two loving months lead time

Hey it's not a race.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Speaking of Singapore. The latest "good" news ScoMo is pushing is that we are getting 50,000 of their vaccines that are almost out of date.

Ignoring the fact that he hosed up the rollout so bad that Australia has to beg neighboring nations for their cast offs, he is presenting this as a victory for him and his government.

The smug bastard will win another election and we are all damned.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Tommunist posted:

Brain boom.

Love to work in super lovely insecure work while studying and just not be able to pay bills and be totally let down by both the federal and States governments inability to support people through the loving plague.

Maybe dumb questions but I think the Vic payments changed since last time I looked. Do you get the Vic disaster payment? Do you get centrelink payments? Have you lost 8 hours or a full day from your normal work due to covid?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Periphery posted:

Edit because gently caress Gladys:

quote:

"In fact if you look at the trajectory of where Victoria's case numbers are going, I will let people make those comparisons themselves, but having been through this, we know how quickly case numbers get up to where we are now.

"And, had we not taken the measures we had, they would have been much higher."

Gotta make a snide comment at every daily conference, either blaming the dead or trying to make stupid points about other states.

What a loving poo poo stain of a human being.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

You don't get credit for slowing the spread of a large fire when you were the one telling people it was fine to pour petrol everywhere around a bunch of smaller fires.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

You don't get credit for slowing the spread of a large fire when you were the one telling people it was fine to pour petrol everywhere around a bunch of smaller fires.

Hi, welcome to australia, where you most certainly do

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Launchpad McQuack posted:

Armadale Hospital ED was down 8 staff the other night, my sister in law was stuck in the isolation work for 9 hours by herself, no support, no toilet break and nothing to drink. There is literally no one to back these people up. She is looking for jobs outside of nurse now, because she knows it is not going to get better. She is one of the most highest trained and capable ED nurses in the country.

I am a volly ambo in the wheatbelt, transfer times are blowing out because when we drive all the way to the city there is no one to receive the patient. Vollys are out of town for up to 12 hours at a time, which is ridiculous, we have family, jobs and commitments, so no one if doing the transfers now, we are only responding to emergencies and maybe RFDS flight, but one of them blew out to 7 hours and 3 different country airports the other night. The ambulances in the city are constantly needing maintenance because all of the equipment in it is charge by the alternator from the ambulance driving around. They are spending so much time ramped, up to 9 hours, the are running out of charge. Remember we can't leave the ambulance even to go the toilet because if something happens our partner has to deal with it on their own. It is getting to the point where if you call for help, we are gonna be a while, cause we are all at the hospital.

The worst part is everyone we tell doesn't believe us and tell us Mark McGowen is doing a great job, it is infuriating. Then rather than fix his poo poo and goes out and makes statements bagging the gently caress out of all the other leaders. The prick had the gall last election to announce a 1.5 billion surplus when the health system was a dumpster fire. The dude is running Donald Trumps playbook but he is competent.

This sounds completely poo poo but is a separate issue to the federal government expecting WA and every other COVID-free state to open their borders ahead of schedule simply because New South Wales hosed up.

abigserve posted:

Woolies/coles in particular should be delivery only imo

Not a chance that this would be logistically possible

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

NPR Journalizard posted:

Hi, welcome to australia, where you most certainly do

[insert full text of the Lucky Country quote here]

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Anybody got any news on the Novavax situation? When can we expect to get this good poo poo and how will we go about it?

Launchpad McQuack
Oct 21, 2010

freebooter posted:

This sounds completely poo poo but is a separate issue to the federal government expecting WA and every other COVID-free state to open their borders ahead of schedule simply because New South Wales hosed up.

I am just pointing out some things that no one is talking about it while he distracts you all with his tough guy image. We are not special out here. Delta will get into WA.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

freebooter posted:

Maybe it should be? These seems like something that is absolutely achievable in this day and age

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

abigserve posted:

Maybe it should be? These seems like something that is absolutely achievable in this day and age

What was achievable was both hotel quarantine with room service and supervised stay-at-home for all close and casual contacts (security guard outside your premises, scheduled deliveries of standard rations, custom boxes for different cultural backgrounds), maintaining this infrastructure at the ready throughout the pandemic and snap lockdowns at the first whiff of virus.

Instead we got lazy backseat Liberal governance. Corporations can't and won't pick up the slack for poo poo government.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Do we even have good quarantine procedures now to keep the next potential variant out?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

not as long as gladys is around

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Phigs posted:

Do we even have good quarantine procedures now to keep the next potential variant out?

lol

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SA's ambulances and general healthcare are in a similar position to WA by the sounds of things. insane wait times, ramping to insanity and absolutely no desire from the gov to fix things or put a penny into it. just hosed up! and once delta or any other serious variant hits it's even more hosed, that whole house of cards is gonna fall down and the poor and sick will pay the price as usual

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Senor Tron posted:

Technically she hasn’t slowed the spread of the large fire either, rate of increase still going up up up

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Phigs posted:

lmao

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
quietly not dying in exile

the hardest part is having to deal with liberals trying to kill us all, just shut the gently caress up about open 'er up already

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Armadale Hospital ED was down 8 staff the other night, my sister in law was stuck in the isolation work for 9 hours by herself, no support, no toilet break and nothing to drink. There is literally no one to back these people up. She is looking for jobs outside of nurse now, because she knows it is not going to get better. She is one of the most highest trained and capable ED nurses in the country.

I am a volly ambo in the wheatbelt, transfer times are blowing out because when we drive all the way to the city there is no one to receive the patient. Vollys are out of town for up to 12 hours at a time, which is ridiculous, we have family, jobs and commitments, so no one if doing the transfers now, we are only responding to emergencies and maybe RFDS flight, but one of them blew out to 7 hours and 3 different country airports the other night. The ambulances in the city are constantly needing maintenance because all of the equipment in it is charge by the alternator from the ambulance driving around. They are spending so much time ramped, up to 9 hours, the are running out of charge. Remember we can't leave the ambulance even to go the toilet because if something happens our partner has to deal with it on their own. It is getting to the point where if you call for help, we are gonna be a while, cause we are all at the hospital.

The worst part is everyone we tell doesn't believe us and tell us Mark McGowen is doing a great job, it is infuriating. Then rather than fix his poo poo and goes out and makes statements bagging the gently caress out of all the other leaders. The prick had the gall last election to announce a 1.5 billion surplus when the health system was a dumpster fire. The dude is running Donald Trumps playbook but he is competent.

There is a reason McGowan is so hardcore for pro borders, because if Covid gets a hold here his health modelling has deaths skyrocketing as the health system collapses in on itself. Can you imagine if the staff started getting sick? We'd be shutting down whole hospitals.

Education is in the same boat though, state funding is 5% below the SRS. We're about 1-2 billion in the hole on funding over the past 2 years. For this upcoming budget Labor best be declaring a range of big ticket items, and the first had best be health. We need staff, and a lot more of them. I'm assuming there's been a pay freeze in the health area too, so I don't think nursing looks very appetizing as a career.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Phigs posted:

An eccentric cave family named the Croods – consisting of Grug, Eep, Ugga, Thunk, Sandy, and Gran – survive several natural disasters by sheltering inside a cave for days and nights. The harsh circumstances influence Grug's stubbornness, overprotective parenting, and refusal to let anyone leave the cave except for short periods of time to gather food, due to watching several of their neighbors die to the natural selection. Eep loves her family, but frequently rebels against these structures, instead desiring to discover something "new" (a concept the family fears). One night, Eep sneaks out when she sees a light, and encounters an inventive modern human boy named Guy and his pet sloth Belt, who have made a torch. He warns her of an inevitable apocalypse that's about to destroy the world and offers to help her escape, but Eep elects to stay with the family. Guy leaves her a shell horn to blow if she needs help, but when Eep returns to her frantic family, they destroy the horn out of fear of "new".

A massive earthquake destroys the cave and the surrounding lands, and the Croods flee into a jungle they discover below their home mountains. Encountering a "Macawnivore", a brightly colored feline whom Gran dubs "Chunky", the family flees him, until he is scared off by swarms of "piranhakeets" that devour a ground whale. Making another horn, Eep calls to Guy, who rescues them with his fire. After a great deal of confusion regarding the Croods' first contact with fire, Grug, begrudgingly realizing he and his family need Guy's inventions to survive, imprisons Guy in a log so he can guide them to a safe place. To appease Grug, Guy suggests the Croods go to the mountain where there are caves, though in reality he and the other Croods doubt the wisdom of this.

During the journey, Guy makes attempts to escape the log but mainly fails due to the Croods' constant arguing. Grug attempts to steal a bird's egg for dinner, but catches a scorpion instead, and Guy, having successfully escaped the log with Eep's help, teaches Eep how to lay a trap for the bird itself. Guy endears himself to most of the Croods by inventing rudimentary shoes for the family, and other "ideas" which help them along the way. He also tells a story of "Tomorrow", a land of light where curiosity is not to be feared. While most of the Croods grow more attached to Guy, Grug becomes jealous of him, especially when he notices Guy and Eep are starting to fall in love. His disastrous attempts to fight against change, and to come up with inventions and ideas of his own to win his family back, only further embarrassed himself, his family becoming distant from him, and cause him and Ugga to have a serious conversation.

The family finds a cave, but no one except Grug wants to go in, having learned to adapt to living outside and how they don't want to survive, they want to live. Eep stands up to her father and proclaims everyone else's decision to go to "Tomorrow" with Guy. Angered, Grug attacks Guy, but the two fall over a cliff into a tar flow. Guy reveals that he lost his own family to a tar flow, and believes they're doomed. But Grug, softened by the story, decides that he and Guy will have to work together to escape. They make a dummy to attract Chunky, who mistakes them for a female cat and pulls them free.

A volcanic cataclysm begins, and Guy and the Croods flee until they are halted at the edge of a chasm where the continents are drifting apart. Grug feels the sun's warmth through the smoke, and realizes that there may be good land on the other side. Grug tosses the others over the chasm one by one, knowing he will be left behind. He shares his latest invention, a "hug", with Eep before throwing her over with the rest of the family. They land, unharmed, on fertile land on the opposite cliff, while Grug shelters alone in a cave.

Grug encounters Chunky, who reveals he is scared of the dark, and seeks comfort with Grug instead of attacking him. Hearing Eep blowing her horn to mourn him, Grug assumes they are calling for his help and comes up with his biggest new idea. He uses tar, fire, a whale ribcage and the pirhanakeets to create a makeshift airship, in which he, Chunky, and several other animals escape the final eruption and fly over the chasm to join the others.

Grug is welcomed lovingly back as the leader of the family, and Eep returns his hug. Together with Guy and their new pets, the Croods begin a new life in a tropical mountainside that leads down to the seashore, where they can follow the sun every day and enjoy inventions both Guy and Grug come up with.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

my mates an ambo in the inner west of sydney and he and several of his coworkers got sent home for 2 weeks with full pay because he had 'non-compliant facial hair' which consisted of a moustache he shaped specifically based on the guidelines provided to him by his employer.

it lined up perfectly with 3 weeks of A/L he had booked so he was stoked but its a bit odd to be hearing about ambulance wait time blow outs in sydney when they are sending people off the job for following the rules provided to them.

i know its a small sample but still.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

gsc you forgot to log out of your alt

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

There was an Austrian guy I read about who trimmed his moustache in a way that supposedly made wearing a mask easier.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Animal Friend posted:

There was an Austrian guy I read about who trimmed his moustache in a way that supposedly made wearing a mask easier.

from what i was told, they put up a notice with examples of acceptable facial hair, they all chose one of the accepted styles, and then the next day the manager came in and sent them all home.

he could have just asked them to shave?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

abigserve posted:

The Coles and Woolies delivery systems almost collapsed just restricting home deliveries to the elderly and vulnerable when the Melbourne second wave started last year, and that was after already scaling it up from the start of the pandemic. The workforce to do home deliveries to every single household in any given city simply does not exist. That's even without factoring in issues like e.g. how do elderly CALD migrants figure out how to order online or over the phone.

Also it wouldn't even be worth the effort? The virus is still going to spread in the supply chains, among the truck drivers and warehouse workers etc.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Phigs posted:

It's unclear how good (bad) the c1.2 variant is but I think theres a pretty good job that delta will outcompete it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Laserface posted:

from what i was told, they put up a notice with examples of acceptable facial hair, they all chose one of the accepted styles, and then the next day the manager came in and sent them all home.

he could have just asked them to shave?

Far too many middle managers are nothing more than jumped up little Hitlers.

That this is about facial hair* only makes it funnier**.

* it's not about anything other than control and abuse

** not funny. What level of loving moron do you need to be one to send ambos home during a goddamn pandemic?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Speak for yourself but if I get some goddamn handlebar trying to stitch me up in a car wreck I'm telling him to find me a Selleck or a nicely waxed Imperial or just leave me to loving die in peace.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/BlakePavey/status/1432691434260365312

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Chadzok posted:

Speak for yourself but if I get some goddamn handlebar trying to stitch me up in a car wreck I'm telling him to find me a Selleck or a nicely waxed Imperial or just leave me to loving die in peace.

You are a fool. I would consider it an honour to be in an ambulance driven by Hulk Hogan, Fu Manchu, or if I am very lucky, Salvador Dali.

Long live the moustachioed ambulance drivers!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Amazon Kindle Marketplace: SAVED BY NURSE HITLER

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

freebooter posted:

I'd say they are related in that WA cannot handle even a "small" delta outbreak.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Anidav posted:

New on Steam today: SAVED BY ANIME NURSE HITLER

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Chadzok posted:

As long as its not a soul patch, goatee, or John Waters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Anidav posted:

Amazon Kindle Marketplace: SAVED BY NURSE HITLER

There was a bit on QI years back where they talked about one of Hitler's cousins or whatever who had been living in England and her name was Bridgette Hitler which is amazing.

Also there was an American dentist called Dr Gay Hitler.