Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Grand Honkey: the search for your ex's truck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Phy posted:

Grand Honkey: the search for your ex's truck

I thought the Grand Honkey led the KKK?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, all of these knock-off mobile games are just a random collection of gameplay concepts and buzzwords. They might as well be AI-generated themselves at this point. It's insane just how many of them there are, and I can't imagine 90% of them are able to make a profit at all, even with the near-zero effort put into them.

GDC talk on it, from some devs who tried that business model as a joke.

https://youtu.be/E8Lhqri8tZk

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

aga. posted:

I mean physical products as well though. You have "research", labour, materials, factories all being paid for that might produce an acceptable item and then devaluing sometimes almost entirely by covering it in indecipherable crap which either ruins trust with crappy packaging or destroys the actual visuals of the item.

The trick is that most bootlegs aren't designed to be sold to native English speakers, but in places like Hong Kong, Latin America, or other similar areas where you're far more likely to get people who aren't fluent in the language and just see Roman letters and assume 'that looks correct', like some random American rear end in a top hat with a chinese character tattoo on their arm.

Since Americans aren't the main market there, the aforementioned $50 for proofreading wouldn't produce $50 (or more) of profit so it is literally a loss for very little good reason.

On the flipside, if you ARE marketing to Americans, being indistinguishable from the real thing will get you smacked with all the copyright lawsuits, and being written like you have no idea what the language means gives you just enough plausible deniability to weasel out of immediate consequences.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lmbo

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

my funny

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Wife was looking for ice packs and found this.

Vegetable showers?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
vegetable showers bring Sprein flowers

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I'm Sedfood Preservation

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
Please don't tell anyone about my vegetable showers kink

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just taping some ice packs to my dog.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

How else do you go from a hot dog to a chilly dog?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... why is the liquid black in those?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Randalor posted:

... why is the liquid black in those?

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

AKZ posted:

Vegetable showers?

The Butterfield Ice Pack.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the way it says "pet cooling" makes me think you pop the back of your dog open like a battery-operated stuffed animal and slot two cooling bars in like AA's, and only then will your dog operate properly

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

WonkyBob posted:

Lol.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I went from a passive cooled dog to a full liquid cooling setup and it makes a huge difference.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

the way it says "pet cooling" makes me think you pop the back of your dog open like a battery-operated stuffed animal and slot two cooling bars in like AA's, and only then will your dog operate properly

The dog in that ad is a Samoyed, so I wouldn't expect it to operate properly.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

aga. posted:

I mean physical products as well though. You have "research", labour, materials, factories all being paid for that might produce an acceptable item and then devaluing sometimes almost entirely by covering it in indecipherable crap which either ruins trust with crappy packaging or destroys the actual visuals of the item.

I figured it was intentional, like scams that have grammar issues and typos in them on purpose. The kind of people who would find fault with the product will notice the typos and not bother to buy it in the first place. You end up with higher review scores, then, because those people aren't buying and reviewing your physical product.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

AKZ posted:

Vegetable showers?

Sprein

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

WonkyBob posted:

Call. Now.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chainclaw posted:

I figured it was intentional, like scams that have grammar issues and typos in them on purpose. The kind of people who would find fault with the product will notice the typos and not bother to buy it in the first place. You end up with higher review scores, then, because those people aren't buying and reviewing your physical product.

This actually sounds too logical and well thought out to be true

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Saw this today at the fair. Sadly no poorly airbrushed characters anywhere to be found.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE0vwB7lDtc

That is impressively lovely.

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

christ imagine coming up with this then going "yep that oughtta do it"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's like a big version of those knockoff dollar store toys.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That's... they couldn't be bothered to actually build the robot-looking bits, they just stuck stickers onto the flat bits. That's impressively lazy and dumb.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

AKZ posted:

Vegetable showers?
All I can picture is one of those shampoo commercials where the woman is tastefully nude, only it's potatos and carrots coming out of the showerhead.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Sunswipe posted:

All I can picture is one of those shampoo commercials where the woman is tastefully nude, only it's potatos and carrots coming out of the showerhead.

potato rain POTATO RAIN

*bonkbonkbonkbonk*

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

The MSJ posted:

It's like a big version of those knockoff dollar store toys.

But for the low price of $20 you can buy a toy replica of a giant dollar store knockoff toy.

Not sure if that would make them knockoffs of a knockoff or an officially licensed knockoff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I really wanted this company's name to be Sensational Murica.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

-CHA posted:

But for the low price of $20 you can buy a toy replica of a giant dollar store knockoff toy.

Not sure if that would make them knockoffs of a knockoff or an officially licensed knockoff.

Officially licensed unlicensed knockoffs needs to have human noses.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

AKZ posted:

potato rain POTATO RAIN

*bonkbonkbonkbonk*

**I move away from the mic to check for concussions

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

-CHA posted:

I feel like they bought a bunch of the little transforming knockoff ones first then designed the big version to match. When they run out of the little ones they're going to have to redesign the whole thing from scratch to match whatever the next crate from China looks like.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us8CtdZBMMg
Not as good as Donkey Kong 4: Chain of Memories.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I know it's unlicensed but holy poo poo they literally ripped off the original Mario bros levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Huzzah! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us8CtdZBMMg
Not as good as Donkey Kong 4: Chain of Memories.

I feel the opening crawl needs to be posted here, just for the incredibly bad grammar:

quote:

"The pretty and virtuous girl Sodoma was Donkey Kong's friend, she was the spirit what charge of all the plant in the world, she distributed sunlight air and water to each plant everyday, so that they could grow up healthy and strongly......

But the lombado lived in the darksome comer didn't like the darksome comer didn't like the world full of green grass and bloomy flower. So the evil lonbado abducted Sodoma, to amest the growth of the life. From then on......

The flower bloomed no longer, and the tree blasted slowly......the banana and the wild fruit the Donkey Kong loved had been lacked too. The world became desolate at once......

There were no any thing to eat, Donkey Kong felt very hungry, and the famine made him thinner and thinner, finally he became a monkey.

The poor Donkey Kong can but left the forest, begun his difficult joumey to search for food and save Sodoma......"

Also somehow a gorilla not being able to eat turns it into "a monkey". That makes total sense.