Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Platystemon posted:

Please tell me they’re being charged with all the cybercrime laws I normally complain are overly broad.

From the article:

quote:

Clifford is charged with Criminal Possession of a Forged Instrument, Offering a False Instrument for Filing and Conspiracy in the Fifth Degree.

Barkley is charged with Offering a False Instrument for Filing and Conspiracy in the Fifth Degree.

The 13 alleged buyers are each charged with Criminal Possession of a Forged Instrument. One of the individuals is also charged with Offering a False Instrument for Filing for paying to be entered in the NYSIIS database.
"This is something we've never seen before, we've seen it in the dark web...we've never seen it just broadly offered to the general public like it is right now," said Fakespot CEO Saoud Khalifah.

Conspiracy in the Fifth Degree is only a Class A misdemeanor but Criminal Possession of a Forged Instrument in the Second Degree and Offering a False Instrument for Filing in the First Degree are both felony charges so they're pretty hosed
https://www.new-york-lawyers.org/second-degree-criminal-possession-of-a-forged-instrument.html
https://www.new-york-lawyers.org/offering-a-false-instrument-for-filing-in-the-first-degree-ny-pe.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Lolie posted:

Shingles is so horrible that if you don't know whether or not you've ever had chickenpox it is worth getting a shingles vaccination.

I had it once in the mid 2010s during a period where I was under a lot of work stress. I got pretty lucky because it wasn't bad at all. I got prescribed an antiviral, though not until the rash had already broken out. I just had a burning/itchy/painful rash on the left side of my stomach and back that took a few weeks to heal, fortunately without leaving scars. I had heard of a vaccine and asked my doctor about it, but he said it's only recommended for the elderly with a history of multiple cases and the overall effectiveness wasn't that high (reduced your risk by 50% or so, and you were supposed to get the shot every 5 years), so I didn't bother. I did some googling, and mostly found the trials to line up with what he said. The vaccine manufacturer of course recommended it for everyone.

The thing I remember most about the doctor visit, though, was asking the guy if it was contagious. He said no, not really, as long as nobody came into contact with the blisters, so I could go to work with no risk. But right after that he also asked something like: "Do you work with anyone who is pregnant or trying?" and basically implied I shouldn't go anywhere near them.
:thunk:

Anyway, it's been a while now, but what I remember from reading about it at the time was that if you've had chicken pox, the virus is probably living in your nervous system for the rest of your life, but normally is kept in check by your immune system. It can flare up and cause a outbreak (and the reason it only affects one side of your body at a time is because it follows nerve pathways that don't cross the center of the body). I read some speculation that the low effectiveness of the vaccine was likely due to the fact that your immune system already knows about the virus, so it might act as a temporary booster, but it's not training it to recognize a new threat.

Anyway, not an expert, and there may be newer vaccines or studies in the past 10 years that change things.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Shingrix was a lot more than fifty percent effective in trials.

Zostavax wasn’t so great.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Shingrix was a lot more than fifty percent effective in trials.

Zostavax wasn’t so great.

I don't really understand why they only recommend Shingrix for people over 50. From all the stories in here shingles sucks rear end for people under 50 too.

Shingrix is supposed to be a really good vaccine, although it will kick your rear end but it's really effective, even for the elderly.

quote:

In adults 50 to 69 years old who got two doses, Shingrix was 97% effective in preventing shingles; among adults 70 years and older, Shingrix was 91% effective.

I'm at a point where I just want all the vaccines. Give 'em to me!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Also Shringrix is an inactivated virus vaccine instead of live virus, so the “stay away from pregnant women” part doesn’t apply anymore. You still don’t want to get it if you are pregnant, trying to be, or breast feeding, but considering that the US still hasn’t approved it for people under 50 that’s not too likely to be an issue.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hmm, yeah, reading about shingrix now and it does seem to be better than 50%.

Found this with >1 million people in the vaccinated data set (and 15 million in the unvaxed set): https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33580242/

Found 10.32 cases per 1000 person-years in the unvaxed group, 4.5 with 1 dose, and 3.09 with two. The 95% CI result was 1 dose is 55-58.8% effective and 2 is 68.6%-71.5% effective.

Might ask about this next time i have an appointment, but if they still recommend it for only 50 and up, not sure I'll be able to get it.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
The 50 and up sure makes a ton of sense given that I personally know three people that developed shingles in either their late 20s or early 30s.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ben shapino posted:

I'm from Alabama, and I say kill 'em all!

If it means I never have to hear that “I’m from LA, LOWER ALABAMA, HAW HAW” joke ever again I’m fine with it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

this note is plenty serious on its own. you look at the MADERNA and laugh but then you realize, she got through the half-assed "security measures" taken by the "state with the strictest visitor vetting process in america"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ben shapino posted:

spoiler alert: we're not going to build a new normal that is great

otoh Rush Limbaugh is dead and that is objectively great

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Tennessee figured out a better way to verify their covid hospital data and discovered that they'd been under-reporting their covid hospitalizations by roughly 20%

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/health/2021/08/31/tennessee-underreported-covid-19-hospitalizations-5100/5670622001/

Is that a Ten-I-see? Oh no it's a 20% I see

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fur20 posted:

this note is plenty serious on its own. you look at the MADERNA and laugh but then you realize, she got through the half-assed "security measures" taken by the "state with the strictest visitor vetting process in america"

Yeah there's been several people arrested trying to enter Hawaii with false vaccine cards but you've got to wonder how many others slipped through successfully

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
like the CDC sucks and they're slow walking vac policy and a bunch of other stuff, but they really need to issue new cards that arent simple cardboard and have a bunch of anti counterfeiting like goon dice sparkles.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Given that these cards are being filled out by hand I'm not sure I agree with the spelling being a major tell lol

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

LOL

https://twitter.com/TheTomGeorge/status/1432895534210060292

On a more serious note, the Manhattan District Attorney's office just busted up a fake vaxx card conspiracy where they were selling the cards online for $200 but actually entering the details into the state immunization database so if anyone checked they'd show as genuine

https://abc7chicago.com/fake-vaccine-card-fraud-scam-conspiracy/10991423/
get wrecked!!!! :owned:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

like the CDC sucks and they're slow walking vac policy and a bunch of other stuff, but they really need to issue new cards that arent simple cardboard and have a bunch of anti counterfeiting like goon dice sparkles.

Part of the problem is that a lot of the counterfeits are legit cards are least. That big ring that got caught was literally giving legit cards and even entering fake information into the state vaccine databases.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fur20 posted:

Hawaii's vetting process is just low-wage workers checking documents in an airport. They're getting screamed at all day by tourists who are of the "I'm on vacation and other people exist only to serve me" mindset, and an "o" looks enough like an "a" that I am not surprised at all about something like this slipping through. Their job isn't to seriously scrutinize authenticity

Like this woman only got caught because someone tipped off state authorities, the Safe Travels program really isn't rigorous at all

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

QuarkJets posted:

Hawaii's vetting process is just low-wage workers checking documents in an airport. They're getting screamed at all day by tourists who are of the "I'm on vacation and other people exist only to serve me" mindset, and an "o" looks enough like an "a" that I am not surprised at all about something like this slipping through. Their job isn't to seriously scrutinize authenticity

Like this woman only got caught because someone tipped off state authorities, the Safe Travels program really isn't rigorous at all

There was also the couple who tried sneaking in Hawaii with fake vaccine cars who'd also created fake cards for their kids who are 4 and 5 years old
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/hawaii-couple-vacation-fake-covid-cards-b1905556.html
If they hadn't made cards for their kids who are obviously way way too young for the current vaxx regime they probably would have gotten away with it

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Lolie posted:

Shingles is so horrible that if you don't know whether or not you've ever had chickenpox it is worth getting a shingles vaccination.

A coworker of mine was one of those rare cases where it's still persisting 2 years later. She's completely disabled now, ruined her military career, and she's constantly in pain. It's loving terrifying, and I plan on getting the vaccine immediately when I'm 50 (if I'm not eligible sooner).

Zugzwang posted:

1 in 7 children get long COVID symptoms

This just makes me want to loving cry. :(

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

QuarkJets posted:

certainly. i don't blame the worker; i blame the state government for not approaching it correctly. their bottom line is increasing tourism, and anything that could impact that must be avoided. they looked at security theater and figured, it works for terrorism (it doesnt) so it'll work here right!

it thoroughly disgusts me.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

A coworker of mine was one of those rare cases where it's still persisting 2 years later. She's completely disabled now, ruined her military career, and she's constantly in pain. It's loving terrifying, and I plan on getting the vaccine immediately when I'm 50 (if I'm not eligible sooner).

This just makes me want to loving cry. :(

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/09/covid-19-long-haulers-pandemic-future/619941/

I found this article both alarming and reassuring.

quote:

A condition as complex and wide-ranging as long COVID is unlikely to be cured by any one medication. But some clinics are successfully helping long-haulers manage their most debilitating symptoms. “Almost every single person I’ve seen is getting better, including the most severe situations where it seemed hopeless,” Lekshmi Santhosh [the medical director of a long-COVID clinic at UC San Francisco] told me. The mere promise of help is itself helpful, as is the simple acknowledgment that their symptoms are real. “They want someone to try for them,” Denyse Lutchmansingh said.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

You guys should have vaccine passports like Quebec, which had a fairly seamless roll out of its phone app and paper versions which have QR codes. However it would be more difficult in America which doesn't have a centralized health agency. Here everyone's vaccination status is tied to their provincial health card.

This is causing some problems for people here on very specific work permits from other commonwealth countries who don't qualify for health cards. They can still get the passport but it takes jumping through more hoops to get their QR codes.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Ccs posted:

You guys should have vaccine passports like Quebec, which had a fairly seamless roll out of its phone app and paper versions which have QR codes. However it would be more difficult in America which doesn't have a centralized health agency. Here everyone's vaccination status is tied to their provincial health card.

This is causing some problems for people here on very specific work permits from other commonwealth countries who don't qualify for health cards. They can still get the passport but it takes jumping through more hoops to get their QR codes.

Hi Canada Goon,

Do you happen to know how the areas of Canada that are mostly First Nations/Inuit/Metis People are doing in regards to Covid? I know there are some areas in Nunavut and Northwest territories that are very difficult to reach by most travel means are mainly comprised of indigenous peoples. I am interested to know if they were able to avoid large covid outbreaks due to remoteness and I also wonder what vaccination looks like for those people, if it is available, if they want it, etc...

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
First Nations received a flood of vaccines early, because their vaccine procurement and administration was managed directly by the federal government due to jurisdiction issues. The rest of Canada had to their vaccines go federal->provincial government-> local health units before we got them. As a result, I believe uptake was quite high but I don't have a source.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Hi Canada Goon,

Do you happen to know how the areas of Canada that are mostly First Nations/Inuit/Metis People are doing in regards to Covid? I know there are some areas in Nunavut and Northwest territories that are very difficult to reach by most travel means are mainly comprised of indigenous peoples. I am interested to know if they were able to avoid large covid outbreaks due to remoteness and I also wonder what vaccination looks like for those people, if it is available, if they want it, etc...

As far as vaccination goes it looks like the Northwest Territories is doing amazing in terms of vaccination percentage of eligible population, whereas Nunavut is lagging behind most other provinces (though still sporting a fully vaccinated rate of 70% of eligible pop.)

But apparently there is currently a rise in the covid rates among First Nation populations.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/indigenous-covid-19-update-1.6151548

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

DeSantis followed through on his threat to withhold salaries to school board members who approve mask mandates, let's see if the white house follows through on their promise to pay the salaries instead

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1432684699588169728

Isn't this contempt of court? The court should be jailing anyone with the power to withhold those funds who actually does so.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Joe Rogan got the covid. How could this be?

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CTSsA8wAR2-/?utm_medium=copy_link

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Unfortunately his wealth will probably protect him.

lol that he actually took ivermectin though.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Oh man I hope he gets it really really bad. Do us a solid, delta.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

I'm assuming Rogan has gotten the vaccine, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

Lol you must not know Rogan very well. His vaccine is called a sauna.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Harminoff posted:

lol if he tries to sweat out the covid in a sauna and ends up dying from combined fever + sauna heat

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Do we know his vaccination status? I'd like to see him hosed right up from covid wheezing away on his show in a month.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

He's been talking a whole lot about how the vaccine is for weak babies who dont lift, so here's hoping it wrecks him for life.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Harminoff posted:

I know him well enough, big phony tough guy energy.

He probably got the vaccine and will pretend that he didn't.

Paul Revere 3000 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 1, 2021

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

he said they "threw the kitchen sink at it" e.g., monoclonal antibodies, ivermectin (lol), prednisone, vitamin d IVs, and he feels fine now. dont be surprised if he says this makes him right about not needing a vaccine all along.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Does he count as a right wing radio host? Because if so :rip:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

hemale in pain posted:

unless something changed hes not right wing himself but he does give lovely people a platform and nods along to their bullshit because hes a gigantic idiot

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

hemale in pain posted:

he shares some of their opinions and entertains crackpot ideas. though i remember not too long ago he was being called a cuck for being anti-trump so i guess it depends on who you ask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I'd be extremely suprised of Jorgan didn't get double vaxxed and hiding it.