Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Heard a very scary noise from my bike the other day. A low/medium-volume, high-pitched, rapid winch kind of sound keyed to engine speed. At first, it went away with a gentle rev, but it appeared a few more times for up to a half a minute as I went into a parking lot to inspect the oil level. It was half full, so I got home (without any other noise) and filled it up. Noise hasn't reappeared since.

So, my question is, what kind of noise does a spun bearing make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Is routing a speedo cable and brake line down the forks through these …

… a terrible idea? I replaced the fork mounted boot holders on my DRZ but the original cable routing thing snapped. I can’t think of an reason it would be awful but who knows.I gather I’d just need to make sure there’s no compression on the forks when I mount it so I know it’ll never extend beyond where it’s held…

That's fine provided it's loose enough for the cables to move around.

Slide Hammer posted:

Heard a very scary noise from my bike the other day. A low/medium-volume, high-pitched, rapid winch kind of sound keyed to engine speed. At first, it went away with a gentle rev, but it appeared a few more times for up to a half a minute as I went into a parking lot to inspect the oil level. It was half full, so I got home (without any other noise) and filled it up. Noise hasn't reappeared since.

So, my question is, what kind of noise does a spun bearing make.

Spun bearing noises don't fix themselves and go away. Try briefly pushing the starter button when the bike is running, that makes a noise like you're describing. Could also be cam chain tensioner fuckery but who knows, need more information.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
A whining noise that is synchronized with the engine RPM sounds like the primary drive gear to me. It's straight-mesh and if your oil was kinda low it might be getting noisy. Could also be the cam chain as Slavvy says.

Motorcycle sounds can also seemingly change dramatically depending on the environment. Riding beside a concrete wall can bounce all your engine noises back at you and make them seem unnaturally loud and harsh. I've noticed that the valve clatter in particular shows up in that situation.

I bet you were hearing the primary drive, slightly noisier than average due to low oil, occasionally echoing off a curb.

e: do you actually mean "winch?" I figured that was a typo for "whine" because I don't know what you mean by a winch noise.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Slavvy posted:

That's fine provided it's loose enough for the cables to move around.

My thoughts too. Thanks!

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

e: do you actually mean "winch?" I figured that was a typo for "whine" because I don't know what you mean by a winch noise.

Yeah, a winch noise. A noise like, if you were to grab the hook end of a winch and pull, unwinding it and making the gears of a winch make a rapid, uh, unwinding sound. As an example, my father owned a small boat when I was young, and when you'd launch the boat, you'd back the trailer into the water and reverse the winch lock, and just push the boat down off of its rollers with the winch hook still attached to the eye in the boat's bow. The spool of rope would unwind from the winch rapidly (turning the winch handle into a flail—watch out) as the boat was pushed. That's the sound I was thinking of.

I'm not sure if it were the primary drive gear as suggested, because it seemed to be coming from the left side of the engine. It definitely appeared out of nowhere (change of noise without change of environment) and then disappeared into the ether when it wanted to.

Maybe it was what Slavvy mentioned—something related to the starter gear—because I know that that's on the left side of the engine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you have a low oil level and a borderline starter sprag, sometimes the sprag will lock while the bike is running and start spinning the starter which definitely makes a winch like noise.

Primary gears also make a winch like noise but I can't imagine it being such a drastic change from an extra ~500ml of oil.

Cam chains can also make a winch like noise, it's plausible that if you have a hydraulic tensioner it wasn't pushing forward but they usually have a ratchet system to stop that happening.

For the way it suddenly came and went my money is still on the starter sprag but it could also be literally nothing and you heard a normal noise in weird circumstances I guess.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Is routing a speedo cable and brake line down the forks through these …

… a terrible idea? I replaced the fork mounted boot holders on my DRZ but the original cable routing thing snapped. I can’t think of an reason it would be awful but who knows.I gather I’d just need to make sure there’s no compression on the forks when I mount it so I know it’ll never extend beyond where it’s held…

It’ll be fine

Coincidentally that’s also the slogan for DRZ ownership

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’ll be

Coincidentally that’s also the slogan for DRZ ownership

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Speaking of which, just took the DRZ out and was delighted, hahah, wow! to learn that it has absolutely _no_ rear brake right now. I just did pads like 100 miles ago so i'm wondering if it's just piston fuckery. Will bleed and try again, then start replacing bits.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zero rear brake has to be low or no fluid.

Unless something literally fell off, it’s fluid

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Could also be a stuck caliper out MC, does the pedal move really far and do nothing or does it barely move at all and do nothing?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Zero rear brake has to be low or no fluid.

Unless something literally fell off, it’s fluid

or he traded his DRZ in on a Ducati, heyoooooooooooooooooooooooo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:boom:

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I put like 2000 miles on my Versys x 300 since I got it like 3-4 months ago.

The chain was a lil out of spec, loose.
The rear axle calls for something like 70 ftlbs of torque.

I was nervous about doing it myself.

It's different from my china bike? One side of the axle is 17mm and the hex nut is like really shallow.

The other nut has a cotter pin and is gigantic.

It was tightened way more than 70 ftlbs. I had to use a breaker bar and sledge.

I like didn't keep a wrench on the 17mm side at all. It came off and back on ok.

Why doesn't the axle spin in place? Why was it on so hard?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It was on so hard because nearly no one ever torques them to spec, they just gorilla arm them on there and stuff the cotter pin in

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
On the china bike\grom clone that would literally crush the axle and gently caress up the rear wheel bearing seal. I hope they didn't gently caress up my Kawasaki doing that.

I hate working on anything actually nice because I assume professionals at dealerships are actually doing the right thing

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 29, 2021

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

BrownieVK posted:

I figured I would update you guys on my bike delivery.
Surprise! It's a HUGE Italian bagger that shouldn't exist lol

Shipping guy sucked. Delivered away from my house with a dead battery and scuffs on the bags, he didn't help at all and just left. Rode it home in the rain with no plate or temp tags after jump starting it. The delivery driver thought the bleeders on the handlebars was to put air in the shocks :doh: (I really hope he didn't try it)

The big issue is the bike has the ABS and traction light steady on. There is a system called MGCT that let's you adjust the traction control levels on the modern Guzzis. The lights are supposed to flash and go out. I can't re-enable the MGCT as the right handgrip mode button won't move left or right on mine. I'm completely lost on this thing lol

Dealer has been no help and is all the way in NV I am north of Pittsburgh. There's no dealers around me even if I wanted to pay out of pocket to diagnose it.

Oh yeah I still can't legally ride it. No plates or paperwork was ready with the bike.
Welcome to Guzzi ownership! I think TuneECU works on modern Guzzis?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I hate working on anything actually nice because I assume professionals at dealerships are actually doing the right thing

never, ever assume anyone that's getting paid on an underspec'd fixed rate is doing things "right"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Lol

Lmao

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
That's the thing that always has me torn apart. On one side I figure taking my bike/car to a shop they have all the right tools and routine and can do the same job much more easily and cleanly than me. Then you see them ugga dugga wheels on without a torque wrench or just flat out screw on body panels with self tapers to 'fix' alignment issues and start to question your thinking...

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Why doesn't the axle spin in place? Why was it on so hard?

Overtorque aside, this isn't automatically a bad thing. I haven't had to use a second wrench when loosening or tightening the axle nut on my W for quite a while now.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
How concerned should I be about a wobbly tach needle? It's not jumping around a huge amount, just kinda quivering up and down by maybe 100rpm, if that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

How concerned should I be about a wobbly tach needle? It's not jumping around a huge amount, just kinda quivering up and down by maybe 100rpm, if that.

If it's a cable driven tacho, the cable is on its way out.

If it's electronic you either have a bad earth or the tacho is on it's way out.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Tach on the Rex bounces up and down a little at idle, which I assumed it was just doing because carbs. I figured it'll calm down some once I balance them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone happen to know how much oil I’d need to add if I was ONLY replacing the oil filter on a DRZ400?

Did my first oil change today (yay)

Bought all the washers too (yay)

Forgot to buy a replacement oil filter cover gasket (boo)

But how bad could it be? Surely I can just re-use the existing one?

No, it has like a big chunk taken out of one face, inexplicably. It still seals but I’m pretty sure it can give way any time. Since it was too late to go buy the part I’ll just order one and finished the oil change. Started everything up and it seems fine but I don’t want to dump 2qt of fresh oil just to replace the filter gasket.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Slavvy posted:

If it's a cable driven tacho, the cable is on its way out.

How do you service speedo/tach cables. I've owned like 4 bikes where the original tach cables are solid for years, then that one fails and its replacements need to be replaced every year.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Anyone happen to know how much oil I’d need to add if I was ONLY replacing the oil filter on a DRZ400?

No, it has like a big chunk taken out of one face, inexplicably. It still seals but I’m pretty sure it can give way any time. Since it was too late to go buy the part I’ll just order one and finished the oil change. Started everything up and it seems fine but I don’t want to dump 2qt of fresh oil just to replace the filter gasket.

It'll be like 100ml

Slide Hammer posted:

How do you service speedo/tach cables. I've owned like 4 bikes where the original tach cables are solid for years, then that one fails and its replacements need to be replaced every year.

You can buy replacement cable cores and crimp on fittings but usually if the cable is hosed the sheath is too. It's not something you really bother servicing but I imagine if you went to the trouble, they'd last longer. You whip the cable out and clean it, try to flush the sheath and lube it all with gear oil or cable lube. Perhaps preemptively lubing the replacements would make them last longer?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Seconding Slavvy. I had a thumpertalk thread bookmarked from drz ownership that says 1.8 L oil+filter, 1.7 L just oil.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh duh, yeah, now that you both mentioned the number, I remember seeing those figures in the Clymer too and I didn’t put two and two together that the filter will need 100ml because .. math.

I guess the other obvious thing to do would be to just drain the oil filter cavity through the special drain plug, catch that in a small beaker and just replace exactly that amount.

Though I’m literally at 9/10th near the top of the hashmarks on the dipstick, I’ll do the oring change but I guess depending on how much I need to drain I might not even need to top it up anyway.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I feel like I only have dumb DRZ questions right now, sorry (not sorry):

I got in a set of case savers to avoid punching a hole through my magnesium covers when I drop the bike inevitably. The case is painted with the OEM grey paint. Should I sand through that and scuff up the case before I use rtv to attach the savers to it?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I feel like I only have dumb DRZ questions right now, sorry (not sorry):

I got in a set of case savers to avoid punching a hole through my magnesium covers when I drop the bike inevitably. The case is painted with the OEM grey paint. Should I sand through that and scuff up the case before I use rtv to attach the savers to it?

No, totally unnecessary

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
if you hit them with enough force that a light coat of paint would matter, they won't protect the case anyway

they are cheap extra insurance but are in no way bulletproof

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm not concerned with the protection or anything, just whether RTVing something that is supposed to be permanent to a layer of paint rather than the bare metal is anything to worry about. In the sense that "whoops it fell off when the paint flaked away". Sounds like it's not an issue though :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its fine, slather the RTV over the paint and never think about it again.

I've never heard of a DRZ case saver coming loose short of a crash that would have wrecked the case saver anyway

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Slavvy posted:

Could also be a stuck caliper out MC, does the pedal move really far and do nothing or does it barely move at all and do nothing?

Full travel. Pulling everything apart tomorrow to see what's what.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Someone please explain exactly why DOHCs can rev higher than SOHC.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Someone please explain exactly why DOHCs can rev higher than SOHC.

I swear I just did a big long post about this.

Dohc doesn't make anything rev higher. Dohc is what you do when you want to make torque at high revs and you need more airflow than a two valve head can provide, so you go to four valves, at which point dohc just makes more sense from a packaging, reliability and parasitic loss standpoint because you can space the valves out wide without having to have complicated rocker arms and stuff and the whole head can be lighter. It is largely pointless on the majority of bikes but production reality means it's easier to detune 4v heads than making bespoke heads for different model segments.

In recent years there's been a move away from dohc over bucket to dohc over finger followers because it makes it possible to have a really steep opening ramp on the cam, so you can get the valves open really quickly in a short period of time, without undue wear and load, and everything can also be lighter. This change has largely been driven by emissions concerns as an effort to preserve power in the face of regulations that punish even a little bit of overlap, but the horsepower jump in wsbk implies there's performance value in them too.

Honda XR's are a very high performance 4v SOHC motor, feel free to peruse a parts diagram to see the sacrifices needed to make that happen. Honda also have the unicam system which is an unusual configuration SOHC 4v, but it's only in dirt bikes and largely done for compactness, dohc makes more sense on a multi cylinder engine. KTM big singles are similar, they solve the ramping problem using roller rocker arms, the drawbacks of which have been discussed at length.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I swear I just did a big long post about this.

Dohc doesn't make anything rev higher. Dohc is what you do when you want to make torque at high revs and you need more airflow than a two valve head can provide, so you go to four valves, at which point dohc just makes more sense from a packaging, reliability and parasitic loss standpoint because you can space the valves out wide without having to have complicated rocker arms and stuff and the whole head can be lighter. It is largely pointless on the majority of bikes but production reality means it's easier to detune 4v heads than making bespoke heads for different model segments.

In recent years there's been a move away from dohc over bucket to dohc over finger followers because it makes it possible to have a really steep opening ramp on the cam, so you can get the valves open really quickly in a short period of time, without undue wear and load, and everything can also be lighter. This change has largely been driven by emissions concerns as an effort to preserve power in the face of regulations that punish even a little bit of overlap, but the horsepower jump in wsbk implies there's performance value in them too.

Honda XR's are a very high performance 4v SOHC motor, feel free to peruse a parts diagram to see the sacrifices needed to make that happen. Honda also have the unicam system which is an unusual configuration SOHC 4v, but it's only in dirt bikes and largely done for compactness, dohc makes more sense on a multi cylinder engine. KTM big singles are similar, they solve the ramping problem using roller rocker arms, the drawbacks of which have been discussed at length.

Just to clarify for OP (because I'm sure you know this) the reason a twin-cam system gives better airflow is that you can make the top of the cylinder more domed, effectively increasing the surface area you can put valves in. The more domed you make the head, the further apart the tops of the valves get, and the longer your rocker arms get on a SOHC head. Longer rockers of course need to be heavier not just because of that greater length, but also that greater length increases the leverage so they have to be thicker. The heavier they get the more inertia they have, meaning it's harder and harder to get them open and closed quick enough at high revs.

IIRC the original DOHC engines were purely for this reason (or rather that fatigue failures of rockers were so common in high-revving race engines).

On a related note - have Yamaha abandoned 5-valve heads altogether now? I remember everyone going mad about the 20V YZF engine in the 80s and I know it made it into the first gen R1, but apparently that's a 4V head now.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah and I understand about more efficient burn and spark plug location as well. I just keep seeing “DOHC rev higher” in moto magazine articles and none of them ever explain that statement. I get it now, thanks to both of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Aha, I've got you now!

Domed combustion chambers are out of date old man :smug:

The attraction of dohc 2v systems historically is 100% the result of mechanical necessity in the search of a wide valve included angle, and yeah a domed chamber was desirable. Imo Ducati were ahead of yamahonda in this regard with the offset 2v chamber that creates a sort of tornado shaped turbulence in the cylinder, very efficient. As better spark and fuel control becomes possible with cdi and modern carbs, you start to be able to run higher compression ratios for more power.

Norton commando

Now the domed chamber becomes inefficient, what with all that still mixture hanging around in every nook and cranny, and compression is severely limited by the basic shape of it, lots of volume at TDC. You can compensate with domed pistons, reducing included angle, but that can only get you so far before one end of the chamber is cut off from the other, or the temperature differential kills pistons etc

So you have to fill in some of the dome to create squish zones that pinch the mixture at the piston outskirts, creating little bellows like jets toward the middle to swirl everything up. Sometimes called a 'peanut' chamber.

Modern 2v Ducati

But eventually you just run out of air capacity, at which point 4v's better air throughput becomes mandatory and effectively so does dohc.
Eventually you realise that if timing and fuel control can be improved, you can run a chamber that's basically all pinch and almost no chamber, with the valves' colossal heads forming a shallow wedge. This is the pentroof chamber found on every modern design. You get huge compression but really efficient, safe combustion at the same time.

Bmw s1000

Check out common rail diesel heads:

The chamber is a tiny pingpong ball sized cavity in the piston top, with a little mountain in the middle to induce swirl. The high pressure fuel comes through the center hole.

I think Yamaha just recently abandoned the 5v on their dirt bikes. No idea if any of the road bikes still run it, would be cool if so. It has questionable value in the world of euro v because you can't run big overlap anyway and that's the main benefit of having EVEN MORE AIRRRRR, it has value for racing purposes but I guess it wasn't worth it in the end. But they did strap it to the Toyota 4age and those rule.

Brap in peace little angel