Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Floppychop posted:

I finished up one of the new guardsmen as a sort of test-mini. I tried to use mostly Contrast paints or 'cheating' techniques to be able to paint them quickly.

It's not as good as other minis posted in this thread but I feel like it's probably good enough for the effort. The base ended up lighter than I'd like, but that's an easy fix.

Nice wood grain!

Hell yah I love this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Floppychop posted:

I finished up one of the new guardsmen as a sort of test-mini. I tried to use mostly Contrast paints or 'cheating' techniques to be able to paint them quickly.

It's not as good as other minis posted in this thread but I feel like it's probably good enough for the effort. The base ended up lighter than I'd like, but that's an easy fix.

Excuse me that is absolutely good enough for the effort, that guy looks great. Love the wood gunstock, too.

EDIT:

Next four Cadian Guardsmen done, one more to go! I gotta say, it sure isn't worth the price increase, but the new heads for these guys are nicely detailed and varied.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 1, 2021

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

What scale are the Crisis Protocol minis? 32mm?

I think it's 40mm scale.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Floppychop posted:

What was your technique there? It looks simple but very effective and probably looks even better at game eye height.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

My other hobbies (of which most are probably middling interests...) are photography, guitar/ukulele/harmonica/drums/kalimba/jaw harp, drawing, video games, board game collecting, reading, blogging, writing. I also want to try and learn the bass, singing, harp, woodworking, learn Japanese, do 3D modeling again, and make music, produce, make a game, write a book, etc

I also help take care of ducks.

Anyone have more time in the day to do most of these while also working 50 hours a week and also wanting to exercise? I am way over budgeted on time.

I thought I did a decent job on this and wanted to show it off

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

PoptartsNinja posted:

What scale are the Crisis Protocol minis? 32mm?

I want to say 40mm, might be 35mm but they are in the large side.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

What was your technique there? It looks simple but very effective and probably looks even better at game eye height.

Black primed, zenithal of a bone-colored ink.

Militarum green contrast over everything except the leg wraps and gun

Gore grunta fur over leather stuff, another coat of the green over the coat

Wyldwood contrast over the pants, skeleton horde on leg wraps

Leadbelcher on all metals, including shoulders. Two layers Black Templar contrast over the black metal stuff. One layer of Nuln oil over the bare metals.

Top pack thing is ushabti bone with basilicanum grey contrast

I tried to stick with a KISS principle and something easily replicated if I get more of them when/if they get a standalone release.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've now field tested 3 brush cleaners. W&N and Masters are the winners for me, esp when used together. Vallejo isn't nearly as good.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I thought I did a decent job on this and wanted to show it off

Absolutely beautiful, I'm jealous. I'm looking at the power sword on my first Sororitas and dreading trying something similar.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Floppychop posted:

Black primed, zenithal of a bone-colored ink.

Militarum green contrast over everything except the leg wraps and gun

Gore grunta fur over leather stuff, another coat of the green over the coat

Wyldwood contrast over the pants, skeleton horde on leg wraps

Leadbelcher on all metals, including shoulders. Two layers Black Templar contrast over the black metal stuff. One layer of Nuln oil over the bare metals.

Top pack thing is ushabti bone with basilicanum grey contrast

I tried to stick with a KISS principle and something easily replicated if I get more of them when/if they get a standalone release.

Awesome, thanks.

I was just thinking that if I ever did guard I might want to use the colonial marines scheme from Aliens since I loved that movie so much as a kid and picked up Fireteam Elite over the weekend. This scheme looks like it could get ~90% of the way there.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Squiggle posted:

Absolutely beautiful, I'm jealous. I'm looking at the power sword on my first Sororitas and dreading trying something similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=245Xvr_LmdM

I tried following along with this, but I don't have vallejo inks, I realized after the fact, then put down temple guard blue as the basecoat, instead of thousand suns blue, and then realized I didn't have thousand suns blue and tried to approxmiate

took me like, easily half an hour or more on just the sword, the whole time I'm like "oh god this looks terrible, gently caress I'm trying to wet blend but it keeps drying on the model so fast, ugh it's not wet enough, don't put it on too thick, no that color mixture isn't the right combination, etc"

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
WIP

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I don't know what it is, but I do like it!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Dark Eldar Khymera with new and slightly more impressive tails.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
That is some kind of hosed up displacer beast if I've ever seen one

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
The lack of MCP models has forced me to paint something different: monks of Temple Ro-Kan for Bushido.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Holy poo poo those loving rule, KingMob.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Master Roshi squad goals.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

KingMob posted:

The lack of MCP models has forced me to paint something different: monks of Temple Ro-Kan for Bushido.

drat, these own! rockin that DBZ color palette too

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Verisimilidude posted:

Haven't painted in a while, but watched some army highlights and was inspired to paint another guard squad. This took a little over 3 hours from start to finish.

x-post from the warhams thread

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Verisimilidude posted:

x-post from the warhams thread

Jesus, those are CRISP.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Hello i've been lurking a long while and I recently went back into covid lockdown, and i had a box of Warhams from a few months ago I forgot about. I haven't painted models before aside from a single salamander when I was a teen but I'm pretty happy with how these came out and wanted to share :shobon:

I wasn't sure what colour scheme I wanted to paint with these dudes but I didn't want to do the traditional bog-standard necron. I found one called Nephrekh and thought the phrase "their phalanxes march to war in gilded bodies of living metagold" sounded rad as gently caress so I ran with it - going for a grubby white to complement the gold - almost like it *used* to be gleaming white and polished gold but its faded and busted now due to the necrons being what they are

I don't have a lot of paints due to being on lockdown - literally only the citadel starter box, a black primer can and a few brushes but I managed to get this together with the paints there. I've got a few blood angels I'm working on too but those are still ages away.

The OP was very useful still!

Solus fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 3, 2021

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Took me a while, but I finally finished Yndrasta. In an attempt to start a Great Oil Adventure, I've painted the wings with oil paint, it's the first time I've used them for something besides washes. The oil is still pretty shiny, I need to figure out what to do about that, besides varnishing.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
USA Airbrush Supply is having their annual labor day sale

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Been working on this little guy for a bit and really happy with the result so far, but feel like I could take it up a notch. Would love some feedback on what could be improved as I really like the sculpt and want to do it justice. I'm a newish painter, so all C&C is welcome.

Dragonskull Crab:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

PotatoManJack posted:

Been working on this little guy for a bit and really happy with the result so far, but feel like I could take it up a notch. Would love some feedback on what could be improved as I really like the sculpt and want to do it justice. I'm a newish painter, so all C&C is welcome.

Dragonskull Crab:

I really need to work on mine because I'm about to get three months behind on these boxes...

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Cthulu Carl posted:

I really need to work on mine because I'm about to get three months behind on these boxes...

Just received my next box which is what spurred me to paint this guy.

OoC I got the Tidal Knight and Magma Wolf this month which I think are actually sculpts from a couple of months ago. I'm a new subscriber so I didn't have them, but wanted to see if you had received those as well, or if you received a different set.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

PotatoManJack posted:

Just received my next box which is what spurred me to paint this guy.

OoC I got the Tidal Knight and Magma Wolf this month which I think are actually sculpts from a couple of months ago. I'm a new subscriber so I didn't have them, but wanted to see if you had received those as well, or if you received a different set.

Yeah, those are the ones I got. All the subscriptions levels are tied to the adventures, so when you first subscribe, you get the first adventure of that "season" (I believe this is basically season three), and then you get the remaining adventures in order, with the associated extra physical bits depending on your sub level. So because I'm weird, I immediately grab the PDF of that month's module and try to guess what the minis will be.

The Tabaxi pirate was kinda underwhelming to me, but I am STOKED to paint a dude wearing a horseshoe crab as armor/shield, and the crab and wolf look great.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Cthulu Carl posted:

Yeah, those are the ones I got. All the subscriptions levels are tied to the adventures, so when you first subscribe, you get the first adventure of that "season" (I believe this is basically season three), and then you get the remaining adventures in order, with the associated extra physical bits depending on your sub level. So because I'm weird, I immediately grab the PDF of that month's module and try to guess what the minis will be.

The Tabaxi pirate was kinda underwhelming to me, but I am STOKED to paint a dude wearing a horseshoe crab as armor/shield, and the crab and wolf look great.

Yeah, agree that the cat pirate was a bit meh. The sculpt was definitely lacking in detail, but in comparison, the Tidal Knight looks great and is really unique looking; same goes for the Magma Wolf. I actually only get the minis and the online stuff as am on the 'Minis in a Box' package as opposed to the full Dungeon in a Box pack. Either way, have been enjoying the surprise every month.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Finally pulled the trigger and got an airbrush. Played around with it today and it seems to go through paint quickly - is that normal?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

PotatoManJack posted:

Yeah, agree that the cat pirate was a bit meh. The sculpt was definitely lacking in detail, but in comparison, the Tidal Knight looks great and is really unique looking; same goes for the Magma Wolf. I actually only get the minis and the online stuff as am on the 'Minis in a Box' package as opposed to the full Dungeon in a Box pack. Either way, have been enjoying the surprise every month.

Yeah as soon as I pulled out the Tidal Knight I was like "Welp, guess I'm gonna make a Triton or some poo poo for D&D" because it just looks so good

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Dienes posted:

Finally pulled the trigger and got an airbrush. Played around with it today and it seems to go through paint quickly - is that normal?

Yep, it certainly can. The higher your PSI, the larger your needle, and the more you pull back on the trigger the more paint you'll use. Reduce these and you use less paint.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dienes posted:

15-25 PSI is a good normal range you might try. Thicker stuff like primer will go towards the high end, paint goes lower. Airbrush and technique depending of course. What you want is whatever you're spraying to properly aerosolize so you don't get wet paint hitting your working surface. You also don't want a patter of dots that slowly fills in, that's a combination of some part low PSI and some part too thick paint.

Take 5 minutes for this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH5OHYfSq5A

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dienes posted:

I definitely blasted through paint the first time I used mine, you'll use less when you develop a lighter touch. Keep in mind you're potentially covering a huge area very quickly with an airbrush so it only makes sense that you're using a lot of paint.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Dienes posted:

Finally pulled the trigger and got an airbrush.

Most people do it the other way around.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Most people do it the other way around.

The trigger has now fallen off.

There is a learning curve.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Listen all ya'lls is a HH crosspost

Major Spag posted:

Outflank? More like outbank?...erm...idk.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Two co-op students gave me a thank you box of sushi themed socks. I obviously thanked them for the socks but what I didn't tell them was that I was more excited that the ridges in the faux Bento box makes it a perfect wet pallet.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

mllaneza posted:

15-25 PSI is a good normal range you might try. Thicker stuff like primer will go towards the high end, paint goes lower.

I have been keeping my compressor at too high of a PSI. That will certainly help me with my technique! It defaults to 30 PSI and I didn't think about lowering it when I started using a detail airbrush.