Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The problem was that the guy in charge of greenlighting new games did not want anything not starring a straight white alpha male and he was pretty open about it up until he was outed as a sex pest.

While true, that’s only something that came out recently, and it’s why they didn’t plan for a girl MC to begin with.

My point is that people have been making fun of them saying they couldn’t add a second NPC later in development for a lot longer than that, but at the time anyone started caring originally it was a completely valid response. Main character rigging isn’t a two second process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

gohuskies posted:

And that it happens multiple times, the same way each time. If it happened once for story purposes then maybe you could think, there must have been some enemy guy I didn't see who tagged me, okay, this is believable. When it's multiple times it's "oh not this again."

They switch it up slightly for Faith's region but mechanically it's much the same. Instead of hunting parties she'll try and trick you into triggering the cutscenes with common events like rescuing hostages taken by the cult. Once you kill the cultists and go to set the hostage free they turn into Faith and she blows bliss dust in your face to trigger the cutscene. If you know what she's doing and ignore the events for a few minutes she'll show up out of nowhere and trigger it anyway.

Best one is when you see her wandering around in the hills like you normally do in her region except she has the icon for a mission over her head. gently caress it, you're just going to force this on me if I try to do anything else, might as well get this over with.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Dewgy posted:

at the time anyone started caring originally it was a completely valid response. Main character rigging isn’t a two second process.

It's not a "completely valid response" to say "it's TOO LATE for us to not be misogynistic shitheads," even if it's technically, in some sense, true. That was just a lovely excuse, phrased in the dumbest way possible. The "valid" thing would to not be misogynistic shitheads from the beginning of development, when it wouldn't be too late. In other words, I assure you that the many critics who were making fun of them saying "it would take too long to animate a female character" don't actually give a poo poo about the way in which that statement is technically sort of true, so your "well actually"ing about it is not helpful.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

its like deflecting criticism of a movie being incredibly sexist by saying "well by the time the media criticism came out we already approved the misogynist's script and finished filming, so there was nothing we could have changed without way too much postproduction editing"

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

While true, that’s only something that came out recently, and it’s why they didn’t plan for a girl MC to begin with.

My point is that people have been making fun of them saying they couldn’t add a second NPC later in development for a lot longer than that, but at the time anyone started caring originally it was a completely valid response. Main character rigging isn’t a two second process.

Wut

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Unity came out in 2014, all the sex pest poo poo about Ubisoft came to light in 2020. Before then, all the discussion about this was focused on a dev saying they didn’t have the budget in the project to animate a second lead character now that Unity was coming out soon and people were asking for it, which was true. The reason it hadn’t been considered necessary during the planning of the project was because Ubi’s upper management were a bunch of misogynistic jerks who insisted a white male lead was the only thing that would sell, which is also true.

They’re two separate complaints, but the post I was replying to was specifically talking about the “can’t animate another character” explanation.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I'm really enjoying Psychonauts 2 so far, except there's one boss that's made way, way, harder than it should be because of the circumstance surrounding it. The stage you're in has a cool psychedelic vibe to it, and it's really neat! I love the stage. You get a new power that slows things down and renders them in grey scale; the boss, however, is already a grey monster with rainbow highlights - the exact same colour scheme used by the power you have to use on it. On top of that the visual filter used for the fight makes it very hard to tell whether or not it's actually been stopped by your power since there isn't any real indicator whether or not your power actually hits something since it's treated more like an AOE with a very, very, selective range rather than a targeted attack

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Frank Frank posted:

The ending of horizon zero Dawn was kinda lame. Lame final boss - same enemy you’ve already fought half a dozen times. Ending was predictable and parts of it didn’t make sense:

like the perfectly preserved corpse of Elizabet Sobeck which has been lying outside for centuries and somehow wasn’t consumed by the machine plague that ate literally everything else

Was it her actual body or just the leftover armor she was wearing, which was I think the same OP armor you can get near end game? I haven’t played it in a long while (which I should go through again before 2 comes out)

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Was it her actual body or just the leftover armor she was wearing, which was I think the same OP armor you can get near end game? I haven’t played it in a long while (which I should go through again before 2 comes out)

It's her skeleton in a fully sealed excursion suit. She needed to be undetectable in order to make the repair on the seal. She almost definitely starved to death sitting on that bench, watching the Faro Plague rampage around.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pretty sure that's not Elisabet's preserved corpse, just a holographic projection. If you look at her remains on the bench you can see her suit was breached and body left completely dessicated by the Faro swarm.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The final boss of HZD landed on top of me and trapped me underneath it. Thankfully, when I restarted from my last save it put me after the battle.

The story was eh but the worst things in the game so far (just started the DLC) were some of the hunting ground challenges, particularly the one where you have to loot all of those boxes within a minute.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The final boss of HZD landed on top of me and trapped me underneath it. Thankfully, when I restarted from my last save it put me after the battle.

The story was eh but the worst things in the game so far (just started the DLC) were some of the hunting ground challenges, particularly the one where you have to loot all of those boxes within a minute.

Funny note about that particular hunting ground challenge. Apparently the crab guys didn’t use to pick up the boxes so they went back and loving patched it to make it harder.

Also the hunting grounds in the DLC is a pain in the rear end too. The last challenge in particular.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The crates trial is super easy but unintuitive, you shouldn't stealth at all and instead run right to the crates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSgiwQg96io

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
It only works like that if you get lucky. Half the time the crab guys will snatch up a couple crates and run off with them. I did it eventually but I got mauled in the process. If the stalkers get alerted, you’ll have a much harder time finding a window to loot in.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If the shellwalkers are already carrying the crates when you get there you can just restart from save, it'll dump you right back to the zipline. You also don't lose trials if you die shortly after completing them so in some cases it's a good strategy to just suicide in.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Right, like I said you have to get lucky. Sometimes they pick up the crates immediately and sometimes they dance around them for a bit.

I learned that you still complete challenges after death from that ravager vs thunderjaw challenge. That one also sucked. Died almost immediately after I got gold and was super pissed until I saw it was still completed.

Managed to 100% the main game yesterday but I don’t think I like it enough to try and 100% the DLC or NG+ content.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCgh8IR97Pc&t=291s

When I was a kid playing Everything or Nothing for the first time, it bugged me that Heidi Klum was able to conceal something from James Bond by hiding it in her cleavage (at around 4:51 in the video above).

Would you hide something from a fox by putting it in a henhouse?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hunting grounds were the thing keeping me from platinuming HZD, I can do the general challenges but a couple of the gold medal times just ended it for me.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

No Man's Sky just added settlement building, and it's predictably half-baked. I think the more gets added to this game, the less I like it.

I love getting more free content, but the massive gulf between the quality of the ideas versus their execution is a little too much. Base-building is cool, but there's zero reason to stay on a single planet. Actual mechs, but there is no reason to use them. Underwater exploration, but the seas on planets never get more than a dozen yards deep. Haunted space hulks, but they're all identical. Settlement building, but it's lifeless and there's no benefit to it whatsoever (and again, there's no reason to stay on a planet).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hellblade: When you're leaving Muspel there's a door you can glitch through. Hilariously enough that glitched door helped me circumvent another bug so that I could leave the area.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Captain Hygiene posted:

Hunting grounds were the thing keeping me from platinuming HZD, I can do the general challenges but a couple of the gold medal times just ended it for me.

I got the main game done but I'm not going to bother with the rest. The last achievement I was stuck on was the stupid task to track down all the target dummies and knock them over.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A problem I have with Scarlet Nexus' story is at the beginning of the game you barely have time to get used to the status quo before they start blowing it up. Like you barely get to know any of the characters before allegiances start shifting around.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Picked up Assassin's Creed: Valhalla the other day, and what on earth is this skill tree. Did someone look at Path of Exile's nigh-incomprehensible mess and go "yes, this is what our game about assassins needs"?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

JackSplater posted:

Picked up Assassin's Creed: Valhalla the other day, and what on earth is this skill tree. Did someone look at Path of Exile's nigh-incomprehensible mess and go "yes, this is what our game about assassins needs"?

Same. Ive been playing for about 3 weeks and my power level is around 110 but I have no idea if my character is any good. I basically look for the big nodes I want and make my way there then start over with a new one once I get it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

JackSplater posted:

Yeah, it's so stupid, and one of the many things that just feels like a random change from someone that worked fine in the previous change. I guess it's probably due to the studio-swapping Ubisoft like to do between installments of their big franchises.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Repseccing is free, and IIRC you get enough to max out everything so this doesn't matter but: how DARE you obscure my skill tree with a fog of war

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It makes sense if you consider the game a battle between you against the dev team

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

If your skill tree increases a stat by anything less than 15%, you are the bastard of earth and should not make skill trees. Decimal points gently caress off.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Just started Hades today. Only complaint so far is the slog through previously beaten levels is a bit long for my taste. Binding of Isaac and Gungeon nailed the level-length aspect of these sorts of games. Maybe that'll change as I get more upgrades? I dunno. It also feels like the game is less "get gud" and more "keep farming stuff until you get powerful enough to advance".

Still a fun game though. The sheer depth of the upgrades/trinkets/god knows what else is pretty staggering.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Crowetron posted:

If your skill tree increases a stat by anything less than 15%, you are the bastard of earth and should not make skill trees. Decimal points gently caress off.

I love items, mostly in rogue-likes, that make you deal 1.5% more critical damage but 4.5% less regular damage but 3.5% more chance to deal critical damage.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Frank Frank posted:

Just started Hades today. Only complaint so far is the slog through previously beaten levels is a bit long for my taste. Binding of Isaac and Gungeon nailed the level-length aspect of these sorts of games. Maybe that'll change as I get more upgrades? I dunno. It also feels like the game is less "get gud" and more "keep farming stuff until you get powerful enough to advance".

Still a fun game though. The sheer depth of the upgrades/trinkets/god knows what else is pretty staggering.

A lot of it is unlocking more gods as you play so that you can make new combinations that play entirely differently. It’s not like you’re beating your face against it until you get more numerical advantages (I started a new game and got to Elysium on my first try with just the basic stuff) but it introduces things slowly so you can understand how they work. Then you can understand how they combine and make some crazy combinations… but since you never get the same choices twice you still have to improvise and can’t just lean on a broken strategy. It’s really satisfying when it clicks but until I put a few hours in I didn’t really see how good it actually was.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Ugly In The Morning posted:

A lot of it is unlocking more gods as you play so that you can make new combinations that play entirely differently. It’s not like you’re beating your face against it until you get more numerical advantages (I started a new game and got to Elysium on my first try with just the basic stuff) but it introduces things slowly so you can understand how they work. Then you can understand how they combine and make some crazy combinations… but since you never get the same choices twice you still have to improvise and can’t just lean on a broken strategy. It’s really satisfying when it clicks but until I put a few hours in I didn’t really see how good it actually was.

I've unlocked 3(?) weapons so far and made it to the 2nd boss in ~4 runs or so. I'm liking it - but like you said, it hasn't really "clicked" yet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

EDF still doesn't have a stat screen to tell you how many bugs you killed/how much damage you've done to the city/how much damage the ravagers have done to the city

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Len posted:

EDF still doesn't have a stat screen to tell you how many bugs you killed/how much damage you've done to the city/how much damage the ravagers have done to the city

That’s really annoying. It always bugs me.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CordlessPen posted:

I love items, mostly in rogue-likes, that make you deal 1.5% more critical damage but 4.5% less regular damage but 3.5% more chance to deal critical damage.

Look, it just gives +4% effectiveness to one of your skills, no I will not explain what that means for a debuff

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

CordlessPen posted:

well on the face of it this looks like it would be a bad item, so it would spawn as cursed and i wouldn't pick it up since my pet wouldn't step on it. problem solved.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Rockman Reserve posted:

well on the face of it this looks like it would be a bad item, so it would spawn as cursed and i wouldn't pick it up since my pet wouldn't step on it. problem solved.

It's entirely dependent on base critical rate in the first place, how much more a crit is, and if that 3.5% means ADDING 3.5% to the crit rate, or multiplying the rate by 3.5% i.e. only 1.035.

If the latter, hard pass unless a crit is, like, 10x the damage or something.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If an attack normally does 10 damage and the enemy has 8 armour resulting in 2 points of final damage, but a crit does +100% damage then a crit does 20-8=12 damage, so it's actually way more than 100%.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

But the +1.5% is 1.5% of the enemy's base hp, so the crit bonus is actually awful unless you're spamming a ton of tiny attacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

oldpainless posted:

That’s really annoying. It always bugs me.

Yeah it really giant robots me.