Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

goatface posted:

Why the gently caress are people itt doing critical analysis of a Disney cartoon for children?
Why shouldn't children's media be subject to critical analysis?

Vater und Sohn: Playtime at the beach (1935/27)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I’ve seen that bucket head Snow White strip before, when I was around seven (1991). But I don’t remember where it was printed (I don't think it was the 1950s book).

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 1, 2021

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Because I was going for a "these two things are as different as hamlet and the lion king" joke, but then I got distracted.

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008
You say "Disney strip" and all I can think of is Scamp, which ran for 30+ years. It was the adventures of Lady and the Tramp's kid (the one that looked like his dad).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
And then there are of course the long-running Mickey Mouse (1932-1995) and Donald Duck (1938-1995) strips.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

God drat, Donald!

More comics is always good, especially older comics, maybe a few daily posters could take up these mantles.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P.

Oh boy, we've got an untranslateable one.
"Isen er usikker" = "The ice is unsafe/unsure/uncertain"

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
There was a comic strip based on Gummi Bears, too. 1986-89.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Doomykins posted:

God drat, Donald!

More comics is always good, especially older comics, maybe a few daily posters could take up these mantles.

That duck fucks.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

There was one poster who really hated Gil so much it kind of became a gimmick. I'm not sure anyone else actually disliked it. Strange though it may sound now I remember it being a common sentiment that Retail is terrible despite Gil being great, to such an extent that Feuti actually directly addressed it on social media. I liked Gil too, as a point of fact, and wouldn't mind seeing it posted again.

I don't remember Gil. I like the Retail that's currently being posted but I remember liking it a lot less when it was later strips being posted where Marla is store manager and Cooper is a supervisor.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

That duck fucks.

Hook, line, and succor deez nuts

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I'm guessing Disney himself didn't draw the snow white strip. probably just nameless illustrators under the mouse's whip?

Zerilan posted:

I don't remember Gil. I like the Retail that's currently being posted but I remember liking it a lot less when it was later strips being posted where Marla is store manager and Cooper is a supervisor.

yeah, it really started phoning it in for a bit until the final arc which really lent a catharsis to the entire strip

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

I'm guessing Disney himself didn't draw the snow white strip. probably just nameless illustrators under the mouse's whip?

Scripted by Merrill deMaris, drawn by Hank Porter. :tipshat:

Such an unfortunate segue to The MiniSec Ecocide Museum, but there you are...

2007 features more unwanted advances! (December 17-20)

While 2011 presents THE WORLD'S GREATEST CHARACTER IN THE WORLD! (January 17-21)

Meanwhile, in the pocket universe...

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Scripted by Merrill deMaris, drawn by Hank Porter. :tipshat:

Cool! Something about how his figures flow is appealing to me and it turns out he did a bunch of WWII design

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Holy poo poo that’s a lingcod! Oh my god!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

So I got something in the mail:

(I did get all 3 Footrot books but can't be assed to re-take the picture :v:)
I'm not committing to regularly posting any of these because :effort:, but I did have to answer one question: Has Dennis ever been anything remotely resembling a menace?

Answer: No. Even in the early strips he's mostly just rambunctious, sometimes a jerk but not really a menace. He does break stuff, actively harass Mr. Wilson(whose wife only show up once across both books), and generally get in trouble more than modern Dennis, but nothing outside the bounds of a normal...6? How old is he supposed to be?...year old kid in exaggerated comic land.

The collections are from 1961 and 62, about a decade after the comic started its run. In them I count:
1 broken vase
1 lamp broken in a store (that his mom had to pay for)
2 people walked into while they're in the bath
1 incident of Dennis running towards an elevator naked while at the doctor's office
10 active annoyances of Mr Wilson(beyond Dennis simply existing), including putting rocks in his ukelele, making fun of his shoes after Dennis' dog got ahold of one, inviting a whole herd of kids into his house without permission, taunting him while he's just trying to mow the lawn or water his garden, hiding his 'for sale' sign, and walking into his house while he's trying to take a bath.
1 attempt by Mr Wilson to sell his house to get away from Dennis (unsuccessful)
2 drums gifted to him as revenge against his parents
1 fine elephant:

And also this strip, which has aged Interestingly:

You tell 'em, Dennis.

(regular comics post coming later)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

why don't these sentences end with exclamation points.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

why don't these sentences end with exclamation points.

:mad:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Before I clicked to read the text, I automatically assumed this was Stalin fighting Lenin for some reason.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vargo posted:

Well, let's fix that!

[comics]
I love Winnie the Pooh!

I've always found it interesting that Disney's Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day was apparently a retelling of the Faust story.

F Minus

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

We could all learn from Jason.
We could probably learn from this F Minus guy too.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

:lmao:

The Phantom

So she just killed those dudes from yesterday and Phantom's like "Welp!"

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I seriously want Zach to show up and sweep Estelle off her feet and the two of them settle down with Libby and a few other rescue cats and have a live stream of their daily awesome lives and Wilbur sits and watches everyday crying into a moldy sandwich because gently caress Wilbur.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

EasyEW posted:

While 2011 presents THE WORLD'S GREATEST CHARACTER IN THE WORLD! (January 17-21)

Kraut ex machina

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I seriously want Zach to show up and sweep Estelle off her feet and the two of them settle down with Libby and a few other rescue cats and have a live stream of their daily awesome lives and Wilbur sits and watches everyday crying into a moldy sandwich because gently caress Wilbur.

I've BEEN saying that the last Estelle storyline should've ended with her, Iris, and Zach in a supportive relationship while Wilbur just disappears into a sewer.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

If we had to suffer through Estelle taking Wilbur back the last time so we could have Wilbur get kicked to the curb by a cat, I might be able to find forgiveness in my heart.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Wilbur getting owned by a cat makes my week

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Haifisch posted:

So I got something in the mail:

:neckbeard: I'm so glad someone was able to use that link.

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 1, 2021

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Cowslips Warren posted:

I seriously want Zach and iris to show up and sweep Estelle off her feet and the three of them settle down with Libby and a few other rescue cats and have a live stream of their daily awesome lives and Wilbur sits and watches everyday crying into a moldy sandwich because gently caress Wilbur.

FTFY

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I uh, thought Scary Gary was going places there for a moment

Steve has some retractable titties or something

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I appreciate that the mole prisoner and prison staff populations include both standard and star-nosed moles.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

If tomorrow's strip isn't what'sherface going I'm not choosing you over the cat I'm breaking up with you because you are an aggressive, explosive idiot who goes violent when something slightly inconveniences you and the cat just helped me see that then what the hell are you doing Mary Worth writer.
Like remember when he drunkenly paraded Estelle in front of his ex that he dumped for a hotter girl that was very obviously running a scam on him and all the doormat did was tell him to please not do that again? Why are we supposed to like Wilbur?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Calaveron posted:

If tomorrow's strip isn't what'sherface going I'm not choosing you over the cat I'm breaking up with you because you are an aggressive, explosive idiot who goes violent when something slightly inconveniences you and the cat just helped me see that then what the hell are you doing Mary Worth writer.
Like remember when he drunkenly paraded Estelle in front of his ex that he dumped for a hotter girl that was very obviously running a scam on him and all the doormat did was tell him to please not do that again? Why are we supposed to like Wilbur?

I'm hoping for Aldo Mk 2, myself.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before REVOLUTION

Skippy (January 9, 1934)

Peanuts (September 4, 1974)

COVID Winkerplague (or "Les Moore in 'Oh, IS It Now?'")

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (March 2, 1938)

Out Our Way (April 15-17, 1937)

Toonerville Folks (December 31, 1917-January 2, 1918)

Dok's "Character Assassination" Duck (October 2, 1913)

Little Lefty (April 8-10, 1935)

Blondie From Zero (January 15-17, 1931)

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
So about TWTD - the comics of the last few days have been repeats - I mislabeled a year, and we've already seen all of 1954. However, starting in 1955 Beeman starts his own repeats, like:
Those Were the Days May 13, 1952

Those Were the Days January 27, 1955

And also comics that aren't quite copies, but are more than his typical theme repetitions. It makes it difficult to know if a comic is a true repeat or not.
Those Were the Days January 1, 1953

Those Were the Days December 29, 1955

Those Were the Days November 13, 1952

Those Were the Days September 8, 1955

(That last one is unforgivable - you can't write a better line than "DRAG OUT THE BODY!")

So I'll do my best to stick to new ones, but the effort I'm willing to put into Beeman is ... limited.

OK, back to comics.

Wed
And He Did! September 9, 1918

Outbursts of Everett True October 15, 1918

Gay and Her Gang October 15, 1929

Oaky Doaks March 17, 1936

Mopsy May 18, 1937

Up Front June 28, 1944

Dark Laughter June 12, 1948

Those Were the Days November 3, 1955

Wee Pals December 6, 1965

Dogbert April 25, 1966

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "232 - Jucika Is Making A Phone Call"

"233 - Jucika And The Parrot"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Shut the gently caress up Tombat.