Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Axe-man posted:

It's keeping TNG right?!
I would not be surprised if Netflix loses all of Trek at some point, since Paramount Plus wants to make you have a reason to subscribe to their service if you don't like the new Trek stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

Maybe this was already discussed, but Netflix is losing all of TOS, VOY, and ENT as of the end of this month.

https://decider.com/2021/08/25/leaving-netflix-september-2021/

I'd heard, but thanks for the clarification; I thought the changes were occurring at the beginning of the month. I just recently watched 'Broken Bow' for the first time and had intended to at least sample Enterprise's first season.

e: Netflix likely dropping all of Star Trek's properties is a good case for just watching the series on DVD, if you have the sets. At least with those you can access them anytime without an internet connection or worrying that the series has been unceremoniously dropped.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the DVDs look like hot dogshit though

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Is that just America? I'm in Canada and am half way through TNG...do I need to speed up the pace a lot?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would not be surprised if Netflix loses all of Trek at some point, since Paramount Plus wants to make you have a reason to subscribe to their service if you don't like the new Trek stuff

Yet they just licensed out the trek movies to AMC+

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Yet they just licensed out the trek movies to AMC+

Movies might not be as important to their streaming metrics, being single episode ordeals.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

FlamingLiberal posted:

Maybe this was already discussed, but Netflix is losing all of TOS, VOY, and ENT as of the end of this month.

This is why I've been finishing Voyager finally.

Axe-man posted:

It's keeping TNG right?!

For now. If they lose TNG, we will know they are going to at least a month before.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
One of these days I need to buy all the 90s Trek, King of the Hill and golden age Simpsons on DVD and give up on streaming for good.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

As long as my various disc media still work they can kiss it where the sensors don't scan

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boxturret posted:

Is that just America? I'm in Canada and am half way through TNG...do I need to speed up the pace a lot?

There’s no listing for any of it leaving in Canada, I just checked.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arivia posted:

There’s no listing for any of it leaving in Canada, I just checked.

If worse comes to worst all the old Trek series are still, to my knowledge, also on Crave in Canada as well along side Discovery, Picard, and Lower Decks.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Kibayasu posted:

Don’t ever watch season 4/Daemon Rising.

Oh Daemon Rising and the the finale of Exosquad weigh heavily on my soul.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

V-Men posted:

Oh Daemon Rising and the the finale of Exosquad weigh heavily on my soul.

Having seen scattered bits and pieces of The Guardian Code and the other failed attempts to revive ReBoot before it, I have to say, it has greatly increased my appreciation of the way the original show ended... with the implication that Megabyte just loving killed everyone. A far more dignified end than what ultimately came to pass.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Snow Cone Capone posted:

good haul today :D

It's like you broke into my childhood and robbed it!

Those are all really good finds. My favorite from those days was TNG 20th Century Computers and How They Worked. It was such a fun and creative way to introduce modern computer hardware to kids with Mr. Data narrating.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well that's not good. After only ever seeing the three most recent movies in theaters I finally decided to watch the TV shows and am only eight episodes into the original series.

On an different note I was surprised to see Star Trek episodes are double the length of most modern TV shows. I thought half hour programing had always been the norm until recently.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the DVDs look like hot dogshit though

Not sure if you were just joking about the mention of "DVDs" but I believe Netflix does not have any versions of Trek that are not also available to purchase on physical media (or digital, I suppose). Unless Voyager looks better on Netflix than on DVD for some weird technical reason.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

OhFunny posted:

Well that's not good. After only ever seeing the three most recent movies in theaters I finally decided to watch the TV shows and am only eight episodes into the original series.

On an different note I was surprised to see Star Trek episodes are double the length of most modern TV shows. I thought half hour programing had always been the norm until recently.

Seriously? You've never seen 45 minute genre dramas or hour-ish prestige shows until Star Trek...?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

nine-gear crow posted:

Having seen scattered bits and pieces of The Guardian Code and the other failed attempts to revive ReBoot before it, I have to say, it has greatly increased my appreciation of the way the original show ended... with the implication that Megabyte just loving killed everyone. A far more dignified end than what ultimately came to pass.

You mean that comic book that brought back the Codemasters and gave Bob like access to unix commands or something?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

V-Men posted:

You mean that comic book that brought back the Codemasters and gave Bob like access to unix commands or something?

Yep.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

OhFunny posted:

Not always, but generally, the rule was half hour comedies and hour long dramas.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
An "hour-long" drama can now be as little as 41 minutes without ads. Deduct opening and closing credits and that could easily drop into the high 30s. (TOS would usually run 51-52 minutes per episode.)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I think an episode of Discovery in season one was something like 32 minutes long.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Epicurius posted:

Not always, but generally, the rule was half hour comedies and hour long dramas.

Yeah, in the heyday of network TV it would usually be two half hour sitcoms starting in prime time at 8pm, then two hour long dramas. Occasionally the comedy block would be the first two hours and have 4 half hour comedies (TGIF block).

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sir Lemming posted:

Not sure if you were just joking about the mention of "DVDs" but I believe Netflix does not have any versions of Trek that are not also available to purchase on physical media (or digital, I suppose). Unless Voyager looks better on Netflix than on DVD for some weird technical reason.

i was responding to this:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

e: Netflix likely dropping all of Star Trek's properties is a good case for just watching the series on DVD, if you have the sets. At least with those you can access them anytime without an internet connection or worrying that the series has been unceremoniously dropped.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I remember when the TNG DVD sets first came out, a review praised the picture quality for being “better than VHS”, which is pretty lol in retrospect.

At the time though I was just impressed you could fit four whole episodes on a single disc :monocle:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i was responding to this:

Yeah, I meant to respond and forgot: You're right that he DVD quality is pretty bad. I'd just rather have access to the series than not, even if it means the old 2004 DVDs.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Piracy rules, you get to wear an eye patch and everything

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Just a reminder that we live in a world where Stargate SG-1 got the bare minimum of a machined upscaled blu-ray release while two Star Trek series still lives in NTSC land.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

bull3964 posted:

Just a reminder that we live in a world where Stargate SG-1 got the bare minimum of a machined upscaled blu-ray release while two Star Trek series still lives in NTSC land.

I don't understand why they wouldn't at least do machine upscale releases of Voyager or Deep Space Nine. I wonder if they are holding off on that until those are only available on paramount +.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Some of those old DVDs might be in danger of disc rot at this point if they've been around since 2004 and not a more recent pressing. I keep meaning to rip some of mine to a spare drive but just never get around to it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Delsaber posted:

Some of those old DVDs might be in danger of disc rot at this point if they've been around since 2004 and not a more recent pressing. I keep meaning to rip some of mine to a spare drive but just never get around to it.

Me too. I have several of the series on DVD and I'm worried about them degrading before I can get them ripped. It sucks that there aren't alternatives where you could hand in old DVDs and get the equivalent TV series or film in a digital format on a thumb drive or something. But that would make sense and save consumers money, so it's probably not going to happen.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I laugh, seated atop my throne of external hard drives.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I have the machine-upscaled fanmade versions of DS9 and VOY and I'm ngl they really kick rear end

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Holy poo poo one of my Babylon 5 DVDs is from 2001. The Gathering/In The Beginning, cardboard case with the plastic sidelock thing, double-sided. This thing belongs in a museum.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

HD DAD posted:

I remember when the TNG DVD sets first came out, a review praised the picture quality for being “better than VHS”, which is pretty lol in retrospect.

At the time though I was just impressed you could fit four whole episodes on a single disc :monocle:
I wouldn't mind seeing some SD stuff released on Blu-ray where they just cram a ridiculous amount of episodes on each disc. Like hey, we're not gonna spend money on remastering DS9, but here's the whole series in a svelte box that's as thick as 3 DVD cases on your shelf. Apparently there are some blu-rays of the 1989 TMNT cartoon like this, but only dubbed in German for some reason.

I could definitely understand a marketing team not wanting to bother with the headache though. Physical media is hard enough to sell that they probably wouldn't want to deal with the confusing "blu-ray, but not HD" messaging.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Grand Fromage posted:

I laugh, seated atop my throne of external hard drives.

I got plenty of hard drive space, I just ain't got time to screw around with organizing 14 seasons worth of tv.

I rip my non-UHD movies to my nas so I can play them back at full quality without screwing around with discs, but TV is a whole other pita.

Delsaber posted:

Holy poo poo one of my Babylon 5 DVDs is from 2001. The Gathering/In The Beginning, cardboard case with the plastic sidelock thing, double-sided. This thing belongs in a museum.

Speaking of, yet another scifi franchise that got a legit HD upgrade.

DS9 and Voy are pretty much the exceptions now.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 2, 2021

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Minidust posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing some SD stuff released on Blu-ray where they just cram a ridiculous amount of episodes on each disc. Like hey, we're not gonna spend money on remastering DS9, but here's the whole series in a svelte box that's as thick as 3 DVD cases on your shelf. Apparently there are some blu-rays of the 1989 TMNT cartoon like this, but only dubbed in German for some reason.

I did some quick math, and you could fit all 7 seasons of SD TNG on 6 dual layer blu rays. Not bad at all.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

multijoe posted:

Seriously? You've never seen 45 minute genre dramas or hour-ish prestige shows until Star Trek...?

I've seen series like Stranger Things and Game of Thrones, but can't recall hour long shows on actual broadcast television.

DS9 finished when I was eight. I was watching cartoons then and then shows like Dragonball Z before spending all my free time online.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

OhFunny posted:

I've seen series like Stranger Things and Game of Thrones, but can't recall hour long shows on actual broadcast television.

DS9 finished when I was eight. I was watching cartoons then and then shows like Dragonball Z before spending all my free time online.

I mean absolutely no disrespect, I just find this fascinating that you’ve somehow never encountered hour-long dramas on TV. No 24, Law and Order, CSI, Lost, Alias, Fringe, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc?

I haven’t had cable since 2009 and I was still very aware those existed. And are common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

OhFunny posted:

This still seems totally bizarre to me.

I mean, something like Law & Order SVU has basically been on almost your entire life and that's hour long.

At any one point in time, there's a over a dozen hour long TV series on broadcast TV.

You never heard of the X-Files? Quantum Leap? Lost? Firefly? Murder, She Wrote? Magnum, P.I.? The A-Team? The Six Million Dollar Man? Charlie's Angels? Mission Impossible? Knight Rider? I mean, the list huge. You just assumed those were half hour shows?