Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

AnacondaHL posted:

I think it's the other way around: pushing the games to be faster now is the response to an internal push to turn Hearthstone into a multi-game hub, and making the game modes more distinct from each other to the point that they eventually are different games. Hence the redesign of the main menu to say "Hearthstone" instead of "Play" now.
Why don't they just make different games, then? I don't want to play WoW: Shadow Legends and file size is still A Thing on mobile platforms. poo poo, I bet the people who do want to play WoW Shadow Legends would be better served by that, becuse you could market directly to them and you wouldn't have to bend a UI not suited for that kind of game to the breaking point to fit it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Back to back C'thun games:

Only drat Whelp Smuggler I found the entire game.

:getin:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CapnAndy posted:

Why don't they just make different games, then? I don't want to play WoW: Shadow Legends and file size is still A Thing on mobile platforms. poo poo, I bet the people who do want to play WoW Shadow Legends would be better served by that, becuse you could market directly to them and you wouldn't have to bend a UI not suited for that kind of game to the breaking point to fit it in.

Exactly. I play the *card game*, and not even that recently because of the perma-hosed meta in both Standard and Wild. I dislike having to re-roll weekly quests that would otherwise force me to play Battlegrounds, a game mode I dislike, and I'm sure the quest pool will be polluted with Mercenaries quests soon as well.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

CapnAndy posted:

Looks like it's still the same team? Do note that Dream Quest was a prelude to Slay the Spire (I like Dream Quest way more than StS) and the Dream Quest Dev was hired by Hearthstone. Bet his fingerprints are on Mercenaries.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

CapnAndy posted:

No one knows exactly what's up now, but a good guess is probably because money.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

AnacondaHL posted:

No one knows, but a good guess is probably because money.

That's always the reason.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Mayveena posted:

This would have started development long before the lawsuit was announced. I'm sure they hope it's a distraction but it's couldn't have been created for that purpose.

Yeah, this is already months late, and has probably been in development for over a year
In one of the recent AMAs they said they have people doing early work on the expansion that is coming out at the end of 2022 already

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man idk it's the mmr reset or the creature overhaul but the gap between 1st and 3rd in unit strength is crazy high how.

Chernabog posted:

Menagerie is about having the best units of every tribe with good scaling. So you want cards like hydra, foe reaper and divine shields to name a few. I rarely picked mythrax because he was too slow and weak to poison.

Just seems like so many things have hard tribe synergies now.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

CapnAndy posted:

If they cram them all into the Hearthstone app then everyone with Hearthstone already installed will have it already. Hence they don't need to convince you to install something new to try it and get you hooked. They can just give you a couple lovely boosters and tie rewards in Standard to having to play mercenaries.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Mayveena posted:

This would have started development long before the lawsuit was announced. I'm sure they hope it's a distraction but it's couldn't have been created for that purpose.

why does it look like it's been in development for a weekend?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
By the way there's a new mystery achievement and cardback. If they do puzzles again I hope they're not quite as obtuse.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

RatHat posted:

By the way there's a new mystery achievement and cardback. If they do puzzles again I hope they're not quite as obtuse.

according to the comments it's a maze
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8ey94fx7ws

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's also broken.

By the way, the 2500 xp achievement now says win 5 in tradtional hearthstone ranked. Guess it was ranked play mode, but play mode is now gone. It just gives me the feeling that ranked mercenaries is coming.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Is the new secret card back any good?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Boatswain posted:

Is the new secret card back any good?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Strawberry Panda posted:

If they cram them all into the Hearthstone app then everyone with Hearthstone already installed will have it already. Hence they don't need to convince you to install something new to try it and get you hooked. They can just give you a couple lovely boosters and tie rewards in Standard to having to play mercenaries.

Yeah the league of legends autobattler did this and really took off and I think a lot of people noticed.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I got the tavern pass reward for having a 6 month WoW subscription, and I’m slightly miffed that I had gotten Varian instead of any other legendary from a pack before getting the diamond version.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

goferchan posted:

Yeah the league of legends autobattler did this and really took off and I think a lot of people noticed.

Can't tell if this is sarcastic or legitimate cause I don't know anything about League outside of legends of runeterra from six months ago.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Strawberry Panda posted:

Can't tell if this is sarcastic or legitimate cause I don't know anything about League outside of legends of runeterra from six months ago.

Lol, probably says something that I couldn't even remember the name of the game when I posted this last night (it's Teamfight Tactics) but no, while it's certainly leveled off in popularity it really was big for a while and stayed near the top of Twitch charts for several months. Last I heard there are still a ton of players but most of them are concentrated in Asia which may be why you don't hear about it much anymore. It's an autochess game that launched in the LoL client much like Hearthstone Battlegrounds and took off with a bunch of big LoL streamers at the time.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

I got the tavern pass reward for having a 6 month WoW subscription, and I’m slightly miffed that I had gotten Varian instead of any other legendary from a pack before getting the diamond version.

You were able to get a full dust refund on pack-opened copies of Varian for this reason, but unfortunately I think it was just for the first week or two after the expansion.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
What's the Twitter handle of the dev posting the best decks?

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

Also Jesus Christ, there are three Battlegrounds cosmetic packs being sold for $20 each and a stand-alone bartender for $10, all on the shop simultaneously. This is ugly.

i take it you don't play cod and haven't seen the similarly obscene pricing for skins there either then... standard activi$$$ion blizzard operating procedure.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Last King posted:

i take it you don't play cod and haven't seen the similarly obscene pricing for skins there either then... standard activi$$$ion blizzard operating procedure.
And speaking of, another new goddamn skin bundle today, and all the other ones are out of the store. The loving pace is astonishing, they're asking for $20 literally every two weeks for this poo poo and FOMOing like motherfuckers.

Oh, no, excuse me, $15 for this one, because it doesn't come with a bartender. But standalone bartenders are $10. This is so god damned ugly.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

And speaking of, another new goddamn skin bundle today, and all the other ones are out of the store. The loving pace is astonishing, they're asking for $20 literally every two weeks for this poo poo and FOMOing like motherfuckers.

Oh, no, excuse me, $15 for this one, because it doesn't come with a bartender. But standalone bartenders are $10. This is so god damned ugly.

Look you only need to buy a $50 pre-order for each expansion. $15 for each mini set per expansion. $20 for battlegrounds every season. And whatever mercenaries will cost. With such a cheap game of course they need to make money somewhere.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Shwqa posted:

Look you only need to buy a $50 pre-order for each expansion. $15 for each mini set per expansion. $20 for battlegrounds every season. And whatever mercenaries will cost. With such a cheap game of course they need to make money somewhere.

You forgot the tavern pass

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"We've decided that as a nod to old arcades, every time you log in to Hearthstone, we'll be charging 25 cents to your primary payment method on file. And no, this has absolutely nothing to do with more frequent disconnects." :troll:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Blasmeister posted:

You forgot the tavern pass

Haha dang it.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

You guys act like you need to pay to enjoy Hearthstone. gently caress giving the greedy shits money. I'd rather the game die completely than pay them anything, especially after the HK and harassment fiascos (and the WC3 debacle, did that ever get sorted out?)

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Obfuscation posted:

Nah this seems fine

Not broken at all!

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Boatswain posted:

What's the Twitter handle of the dev posting the best decks?

Tian Ding, data scientist for Blizzard

https://twitter.com/sky_tding/status/1427896647330062339?s=21

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Sloppy posted:

You guys act like you need to pay to enjoy Hearthstone. gently caress giving the greedy shits money. I'd rather the game die completely than pay them anything, especially after the HK and harassment fiascos (and the WC3 debacle, did that ever get sorted out?)

The WC3 team was reportedly shut down in October. I don’t know what, if anything, was “fixed.”

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

If you haven't checked it out already, Trump put out a Mercenaries Primer video that...actually explains the mode

https://youtu.be/cISOd1FB6IY

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

Tian Ding, data scientist for Blizzard

Cheers!

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

If you haven't checked it out already, Trump put out a Mercenaries Primer video that...actually explains the mode

https://youtu.be/cISOd1FB6IY

RegisKilbin and his silly hair has also put out one in two parts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_3y2JNJa2k - combat and game structure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2XkCmzKnMc - progression

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Mr Beens posted:

RegisKilbin and his silly hair has also put out one in two parts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_3y2JNJa2k - combat and game structure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2XkCmzKnMc - progression

I love Regis a ton and really, really want to love his YT videos, but he has this problem that every video he puts out is about 3x longer than it needs to be.

Given that the Trump video is 15 minutes and the combined two Regis videos are 49 minutes, I'm probably safe blindly recommending the former over the latter.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I knew it was going to be a gacha when a survey leaked details that I posted about 50 pages ago. It's just a shame that they're actually doing separate whole packs to unlock things. I'd be fine with it all if it allowed you to use dust for advancement. Something tells me blizzard knows a lot of people are sitting on tens of thousands of dust and they don't want to make it too easy on people who've been playing the game forever.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Exactly. I play the *card game*, and not even that recently because of the perma-hosed meta in both Standard and Wild. I dislike having to re-roll weekly quests that would otherwise force me to play Battlegrounds, a game mode I dislike, and I'm sure the quest pool will be polluted with Mercenaries quests soon as well.

this week, i haven't made any progress on one of my weekly quests because it keeps rerolling between a battlegrounds quest, a game mode i don't play, and the "complete 3 stormwinds questlines" quest, which i don't have a ready-to-go deck for. i know i could throw together a crummy questline deck to grind it out, but being forced to waste my quest re-rolls this way just feels too insulting to bother

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I don't like Battlegrounds that much but finishing in the top 4 is one of the fastest weekly quests to complete and I'm always glad when I get it.

E:

https://twitter.com/GW_Alec/status/1433444266076872710?s=20

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 3, 2021

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't like Battlegrounds that much but finishing in the top 4 is one of the fastest weekly quests to complete and I'm always glad when I get it.
I do like Battlegrounds, but even if you don't and you get the quest... it's free, it's self contained, and it literally plays itself. Quests to do it are not that onerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

I love Regis a ton and really, really want to love his YT videos, but he has this problem that every video he puts out is about 3x longer than it needs to be.

Given that the Trump video is 15 minutes and the combined two Regis videos are 49 minutes, I'm probably safe blindly recommending the former over the latter.

I watched Regis' video on progression after watching Trump's video, and Regis actually did a pretty deep dive there with a ton of completely new (to me) information on numbers, mercenary abilities and leveling cost, hero coins, bounties and pvp and the packs model.
So yeah watch Trumps video first and if you decide this thing sounds interesting but you want to know more, that video on progression also offers some tentative critizism (because still, so little is actually known at this point).

After having a bit more overview I think it all does sound pretty interesting and it could be a lot of fun to mess around with, the only question is how f2p friendly and how strong the lasting appeal will be. If after a couple of hours you're left looking at a boring grindfest, it could deflate pretty quickly.

I also don't like how it wants you to spend coins on both packs and meta-progression (town upgrade), which are already tight enough as it is when you usually spend on hearthstone packs.