Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

My local-ish vaccine place has an opening for my first jab available on the 22nd of October so that's fun. Everyone is vaccinated lets open up.

Before anyone says "just go to another place" I'm already walking to another town to get to this place. Sometimes I swear I live in the place most equidistant from everything else that is not a house in all of greater Sydney.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Phigs posted:

My local-ish vaccine place has an opening for my first jab available on the 22nd of October so that's fun. Everyone is vaccinated lets open up.

Before anyone says "just go to another place" I'm already walking to another town to get to this place. Sometimes I swear I live in the place most equidistant from everything else that is not a house in all of greater Sydney.

That sucks. I had about 15-20 places to choose from that were in walking distance to me when I booked. All had availability that was within 4 weeks. I am in inner Sydney but it does feel odd how this is all allocated.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Phigs posted:

AZ or Pfizer?

you dont even need a booking to get AZ in the spicy LGAs. just turn up.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/SquigglyRick/status/1433300170456797186

Morton's been writing about the pressure on the NSW hospital system lately, so, I'm sure this is fine

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Nah I'm nowhere spicy. Not even close to anywhere spicy. It's a leafy middle-class boomer suburb that I can only afford to live in cause I rent a separate unit in someone's house. One of those quiet places where everything is outside of the town so nobody from outside has any reason to ever come in and there's multiple cars per family so the residents don't care. We've also got super high vaccination rates here because of being middle-class boomer central, so all the places would be getting slammed even though we're in a fairly safe area.

There's probably some other places I can book though, like I said very equidistant from everything. One has a 30 day wait, which I guess is better. There's also a couple ones with no listed waiting time but I doubt they'd be any better. No popup places just existing clinics in town centers.

I'm not too worried for myself, I have a respirator and I'm a natural shut-in so I'll most likely be fine. Just pointing out how it's not a case that everyone is just vaccinated up who wants one. Though I'm sure the thread is aware that kids can't even get them so nobody is shocked to learn there's lots of people out there just straight up vulnerable to this thing.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
https://www.9news.com.au/national/c...42-c66c8f19dcc6

quote:

A Sydney COVID-19 patient is recovering from a self-inflicted bout of diarrhoea and vomiting brought on by the unproven drug ivermectin, the latest round in a battle against self-medicating Australians.
Westmead Hospital toxicologist Associate Professor Naren Gunja said the patient arrived at the emergency department recently having overdosed on ivermectin and other "supposed COVID 'cures'" ordered online.
It was the latest in a range of home doctor experiments gone wrong — with substances including hydroxychloroquine, disinfectants, bleach and alcohols — to require treatment at the western Sydney facility.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Phigs posted:

There's probably some other places I can book though, like I said very equidistant from everything. One has a 30 day wait, which I guess is better. There's also a couple ones with no listed waiting time but I doubt they'd be any better. No popup places just existing clinics in town centers.

New appointments open all the time. The waiting list can go from weeks to days in 48 hours or less, so it's always worth checking every couple of days.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

There was an article saying pharmacists had noticed an increase in people getting proscribed :horsedrugs: but refusing to say why.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Eediot Jedi posted:

There was an article saying pharmacists had noticed an increase in people getting proscribed :horsedrugs: but refusing to say why.

Obviously for their pet horses /s

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Back in my day taking the horse drug constipated you.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The Monthly's daily wrap is one of the better pieces of COVID writing going, and today's is a good summary of Palascuk's tweet and the question everyone is trying to avoid about exactly how many deaths we're prepared to deal with (or, rather, which freedoms we're willing to sacrifice to keep them low):

https://www.themonthly.com.au/today/rachel-withers/2021/02/2021/1630562120/grim-tweeter

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Word on the street is Morrison is calling an election after the 5 week break

would help explain the UAP texts

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Not surprised. If he waited until next year we'd probably in peak death post open er up and that would make his vaccine rollout look even shitter.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

StrangeThing posted:

I don't necessarily disagree, but I'm not sure I see a realistic path forward other than 80% (or 90%) fally vaxxed and regular ongoing health controls. What else can be done?

Edit: I missed your last sentence, and yes, I agree. It's not helpful.

Targeting 100% vaccination (realistically 95%, for people who might have legitimate exemptions, requiring unprecedented levels of coercion to get there) might keep things under adequate control, as would have months of lockdown + high levels of vaccination targeting towards total elimination with permanent 2-week quarantine for all international arrivals.

Both of these don't meet the 'realistic' criterion now, and people might legitimately come to the conclusion that they are infeasible or not worth the cost, but people would give a lot more serious consideration to these options if the government had communicated to the population that the 80% target means we will continue to have several thousand cases and daily deaths instead of saying 'yeah we'll just get to 80% and things will be cool'

The question about how many deaths people are prepared to deal with is totally incongruous with what is currently being offered. The poll that says 61% of Australians want death tolls to stay <100 a year shows how misinformed people are. The majority who think that we should be aiming for this number either has to agree with a total elimination strategy, 100% vaccination with the police going around to jab people at gunpoint (which may or may not achieve this anyway), or acknowledge that what they are asking for is an impossibility (I don't put blame on individuals for thinking this, though, since this is the question the government refuses to answer by dancing around 70-80% vaccination targets)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

abigserve posted:

90% double dose, entire population, a plan in place for boosters, consistent, clear mask rules indoors and finally - a national vaccination tracking app so those that can't get jabbed are protected as much as possible.

I'd also argue that we won't get back to "normal" until most places have mandates in place as well.

90% of total population just wont happen without co-ersion. 80% is s streeeeeetch but I'd say that's what it should be. 80% total population.

Plans for boosters, consistent clear messaging about everything (because frankly there simply hasn't been and it's part of the reason why AZ uptake was so bad and honestly I'm still pissed at how ATAGA screwed the pooch on that one)

Vaccine passports.

Tracking app I think would be more state based but still accepted in other states.

Absolutly no one gets on a plane without full vaccination, no one does health and frontline border without vaccination, at least home based quarantine for travellers, preferably larger scale setups that in total can handle 20,000-30,000 people a week minimum across the country, testing of travellers mandatory no matter what the quarintine situation turns to be.

I'd be aiming to limit the damage to the equivalent of a flu season.

I wish I was a dictator goal -

Put a fence around antivaxxers and dont let them near society again.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Got my second Pfizer dose today, and was told I should expect to find some kind of vaccine confirmation in my mygov account in a couple of days. Has anyone else received a confirmation? I think someone mentioned a few pages back that they were really easy to forge.

In other news, this Jordies video is worth watching for anyone because it doesn't contain any Jordies! It's a panel interview with NSW police asking to clarify the purpose of the fixated person's unit and whether they were used appropriately to arrest the guy working for him, and it seems that the purpose of the fixated person's unit is actually very broad, and the police can't really talk about it since it's in court.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGlUhmIpfKI

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

90% of total population just wont happen without co-ersion. 80% is s streeeeeetch but I'd say that's what it should be. 80% total population.

Plans for boosters, consistent clear messaging about everything (because frankly there simply hasn't been and it's part of the reason why AZ uptake was so bad and honestly I'm still pissed at how ATAGA screwed the pooch on that one)

Vaccine passports.

Tracking app I think would be more state based but still accepted in other states.

Absolutly no one gets on a plane without full vaccination, no one does health and frontline border without vaccination, at least home based quarantine for travellers, preferably larger scale setups that in total can handle 20,000-30,000 people a week minimum across the country, testing of travellers mandatory no matter what the quarintine situation turns to be.

I'd be aiming to limit the damage to the equivalent of a flu season.

I wish I was a dictator goal -

Put a fence around antivaxxers and dont let them near society again.

I'm actually coming around on Australians getting to 80% in most states without too much bullshit. Agree that 90 will take some heavy lifting though.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Just need a more deadly variant and we can attack 90% from both ends, increase the numerator, decrease the denominator

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

TheMostFrench posted:

Got my second Pfizer dose today, and was told I should expect to find some kind of vaccine confirmation in my mygov account in a couple of days. Has anyone else received a confirmation? I think someone mentioned a few pages back that they were really easy to forge.

Yeah mine arrived about 12 hours after my second Pfizer shot.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
"it's as bad as the flu" is about the best we can hope for at this point I think.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
I think the reality is we're all hosed

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If we're talking about down the track and including all age groups I think we'll get to 90%+ easy. We have a really good comparative general vaccine rate in the first place, and that's without all the vaccine passport stick-carrot stuff that will inevitably happen.

abigserve posted:

"it's as bad as the flu" is about the best we can hope for at this point I think.

For the indefinite future it's going to be worse than the flu simply because COVID is worse than the flu, unless/until it mutates down to something less deadly. And bearing in mind that Delta is already far more communicable than the flu, so even if the disease itself isn't as bad it's still worse just because more people are getting it etc.

Actually it's going to be kind of funny if it does mutate down in the next 2-3 years and everything is gradually getting back to normal and then bam: new highly virulent flu strain pandemic.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLTGXblgUoc
Finally said the quiet part loud

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

freebooter posted:

If we're talking about down the track and including all age groups I think we'll get to 90%+ easy. We have a really good comparative general vaccine rate in the first place, and that's without all the vaccine passport stick-carrot stuff that will inevitably happen.

For the indefinite future it's going to be worse than the flu simply because COVID is worse than the flu, unless/until it mutates down to something less deadly. And bearing in mind that Delta is already far more communicable than the flu, so even if the disease itself isn't as bad it's still worse just because more people are getting it etc.

Actually it's going to be kind of funny if it does mutate down in the next 2-3 years and everything is gradually getting back to normal and then bam: new highly virulent flu strain pandemic.

I'll put money on the covid vaxx being added to the yearly flu vax after we get on top of this.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

kirbysuperstar posted:

if it quacks like a duck there's no difference

What happened to that one goon who was going to deliberately infect themselves and their spouse so they could beat the rush on the ventilators?

But it was okay, they were both "health professionals"!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What happened to that one goon who was going to deliberately infect themselves and their spouse so they could beat the rush on the ventilators?

But it was okay, they were both "health professionals"!

For their sake, I hope they are ok.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.alp.org.au/other/labors-colouring-book/

Hey kids, pandemic taking over the country, everyone slowly going insane, some plague rats want to let er rip? Take your mind off it with a colouring book!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://www.alp.org.au/other/labors-colouring-book/

Hey kids, pandemic taking over the country, everyone slowly going insane, some plague rats want to let er rip? Take your mind off it with a colouring book!

Only colours included: Beige, Yellow.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

bowmore posted:

Word on the street is Morrison is calling an election after the 5 week break

would help explain the UAP texts

Wonder how they'll handle National Cabinet during a caretaker period.

If an election is coming soon it's absolutely because they've realised that there is no good path out of this. They either pull off another miracle win, or Labor is running the country when Covid explodes nationally.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I just remembered Deb Frecklington

What are some politicians you guys remember?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

goldmine

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Darren Cheeseman

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Donald MacDonald

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

From the comment section:

quote:

Come Out Of Her My People!
1 day ago
This is absolutely brilliant. Very well done. Can't imagine how much time it took.

Remix Matrix
1 day ago
I hear her voice as I sleep. I regret everything 😂

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

freebooter posted:

There's only two countries with a full vacced rate of over 80% - Malta and Singapore. Singapore is 80% and according to the article here has given up on zero Covid as well

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2021/08/singapore-gives-up-goal-of-covid-zero-despite-high-vaccination-rate/

So I really have my doubts we'll get that high. 85% seems to me to be probably the high water mark for total population coverage, that includes the people who cant be vaccinated and of course the idiots that wont.

The Measles vaccination rate is 95% but that's taken yeaaaaaaaars of effort and a lot of enforcement/co-ersion (No jab, no school, no pay etc).

Actually I'm almost talking myself out of thinking 90% is not achievable but the reality is it will take more than just passports / flight bans. Stuff like workplaces insisting on vaccinations or you are fired, child care saying vaccinate or don't come near the place, Nimbin /Craig Kelly / Clive Palmer and the festering pustule of antivaxxers in the northern rivers areas being swallowed by the earth etc, Centerlink insisting on no jab no pay (Which honestly I don't like that idea, sounds like too good a way to gently caress over unemployed people). I know my workplace will move to a no jab / gently caress off dont come through the door policy shortly.

Cpt Soban posted:

I'll put money on the covid vaxx being added to the yearly flu vax after we get on top of this.

Already in testing so that's a bet you will win.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The Measles vaccination rate is 95% but that's taken yeaaaaaaaars of effort and a lot of enforcement/co-ersion (No jab, no school, no pay etc).

yeah, just do this.

you dont have to get vaccinated but you also dont have to go to the pub/shops/school/whatever.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Deb!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Targeting 100% vaccination (realistically 95%, for people who might have legitimate exemptions, requiring unprecedented levels of coercion to get there) might keep things under adequate control, as would have months of lockdown + high levels of vaccination targeting towards total elimination with permanent 2-week quarantine for all international arrivals.

Both of these don't meet the 'realistic' criterion now, and people might legitimately come to the conclusion that they are infeasible or not worth the cost, but people would give a lot more serious consideration to these options if the government had communicated to the population that the 80% target means we will continue to have several thousand cases and daily deaths instead of saying 'yeah we'll just get to 80% and things will be cool'

The question about how many deaths people are prepared to deal with is totally incongruous with what is currently being offered. The poll that says 61% of Australians want death tolls to stay <100 a year shows how misinformed people are. The majority who think that we should be aiming for this number either has to agree with a total elimination strategy, 100% vaccination with the police going around to jab people at gunpoint (which may or may not achieve this anyway), or acknowledge that what they are asking for is an impossibility (I don't put blame on individuals for thinking this, though, since this is the question the government refuses to answer by dancing around 70-80% vaccination targets)

Yeah <100 deaths a year is not even obtainable in NSW with the current lockdown. We had 7 deaths today. The 7 day average is currently 4. If that holds we're looking at an average of ~1460 deaths a year in NSW alone. And it's likely to go up even if we don't ease restrictions.

quote:

Asked to nominate the number of Covid-related deaths that it would be acceptable for Australia to live with once restrictions are eased, 61% of respondents say fewer than 100 deaths per year, 25% say between 100 and 1,000 deaths per year, 10% say between 1,000 and 3,000 deaths per year, 2% say between 3,000 and 5,000 deaths per year, and 3% say more than 5,000 deaths per year.

Australians are not interested in what our politicians are preparing to unleash on this country with those numbers if they're representative. Only 3% are cold-blooded enough, 15% if you're an optimist. They are just so woefully informed about what the government's plan actually means. What they actually want can only be gotten with what amounts to basically a zero COVID strategy. Maybe they'd accept more death if they knew what it would take to get under 100, but they're not being given the information necessary to make that decision.

A lot of Australians are gonna find themselves surrounded by a lot more death than they ever anticipated once we open up.