Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i want to keep playing this game but it is so unbalanced and broken there's no point, it's more of an idle clicker than a 4x

the early game is real good but then as you get more infrastructure and districts and things to build it goes entirely off the rails

just quit a game on middle difficulty, normal size map with 5 AI, slow but not slowest pace. i took mycen > maya > khmer > joeson > france. by turn 200 i was screaming into an untouchable lead, nearly done with the industrial period while the AI players were just getting to medieval. my cities had train stations but no granaries or aqueducts, because i kept pouring everything into building more districts and was snowballing hard. i'd stay in each era just long enough to build emblematic districts in my many vast territories (it is way too easy to rush the AI, they never try to take your undefended poo poo) and then hit next era in a mad race only I was running

i suspect that the game is balanced for multiplayer and/or aggressive AI. sitting and turtling and swapping luxuries back and forth in a single player game is way too powerful and completely fucks up the pacing of the game. emblematic districts are way too powerful

imo luxuries need to time out or have a renewal cost, and they need to have diminishing marginal gains. you shouldn't be able to trade your one luxury with everyone. emblematic districts need to be per city, not per territory, and generally all districts need to provide a bit less output and be cheaper to build

it sucks because i've got one-more-turn syndrome real bad with this game but around the middle of the game its clear that the AI is simply not capable of playing the game. ramping up the difficulty just means pushing back the point and stacking more obstacles before the player until they break through and hit the rapid snowball

unfortunately i've played enough of amplitude's games to know that they probably won't be able to fix this

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Has anyone tried playing as a government type that you don't normally play? I always end up as a globalist progressive anarcho-communist, because science and industry seem more important than cash and combat strength. Tempted to try a game as a militarist conservative to see how it goes.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Is there any structure to how sanctuaries spawn animals? I thought I'd give endless mammoth hunting a go in the Neolithic, as I found two sanctuaries close by, but after 20 turns I got nothing but deer.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Impermanent posted:

there's a lot of problems with humankind but the war score being hard to parse is not one of them. Your war score goes down when you lose battles and territory and over time because people get tired of the war. It goes up when you win battles and take territory. It is easier to get a higher war score if you start with a higher war desire score thingy. that's the whole system.
Aren't you describing war support (the thing controlling when wars are lost/won) instead of war score (the thing controlling how many demands you can pass during peace negotiations)?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

When it comes to balance I think emblematics are fine, and if anything I'd want more to be stronger, they should all be at least better than a normal district which isn't always the case. As well I think they should bias towards just yields first to make them always good regardless of the state of your city.

Of course alongside this I'd want a major nerf to normal districts, especially production, where the only one that building it gets you a lot of flat yields should be farm quarters. Makers need to be WAY more dependent on population, and the cost should scale way higher. And then make infrastructure cheaper.

fnox
May 19, 2013

The easiest method I've found for continuing wars for longer is just to raze cities, as it gives free war support to the enemy. You are then free to colonize that territory anyway if you want it.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
It really feels like the Devs never played past like turn 50 or something because that's the only portion thats balanced or makes sense. Events giving flat bonuses with no scaling, the laughable over cities cap 'malus', the insane swings on city happiness, and a million other things.

Is there any way to deal with the AI going insane with pollution causing the game to end or is that just the game being broken? I was finally catching up to the top AI with ~110 turns left and then in the space of like 10 turns it went from low global pollution to getting a 1 turn warning that everything is hosed, you lose.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The contemporary era Turkish building is ridiculous. +1 science per pop, and 300% science PER adjacent science district. You can functionally slingshot from little to no science to tens of thousands per turn, if you've gone agrarian in the past and have enough cities/territories with high pop.

The balancing in this game is :psyduck:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Beta_1.2.132 came out four days ago but I haven't seen it mentioned here: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/215-bug-reports/threads/44221-humankind-patch-beta-1-0-2-132

It includes the following:

:siren::siren: Fixed an issue where the third Empire (also known as the infamous Magenta empire 3) seems to have vision on other Empires and Independent Peoples when it should not. :siren::siren:

As well as: Fixed an issue where the initial War Desire isn't added in the War Score calculation when the save has been loaded during the war, which was an issue a couple of us reported in here so that's good.

This plus the resources fix from the first beta looks pretty good!

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

How does the AI age up so fast on empire and above? I’ve never even gotten to try Mycenaeans yet bc they’re always aging up like 10 turns ahead of me. I still end up snowballing them by the medieval age though

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

FrancisFukyomama posted:

How does the AI age up so fast on empire and above? I’ve never even gotten to try Mycenaeans yet bc they’re always aging up like 10 turns ahead of me. I still end up snowballing them by the medieval age though

The AI is very good at hitting resource points in the early days because they recalculate their path every tile. It looks like they can see through the fog, but I read a story from someone who debugged the fog away and could see the ai going space by space til something popped up and then beelining right for it

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

greazeball posted:

Beta_1.2.132 came out four days ago but I haven't seen it mentioned here: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/215-bug-reports/threads/44221-humankind-patch-beta-1-0-2-132

It includes the following:

:siren::siren: Fixed an issue where the third Empire (also known as the infamous Magenta empire 3) seems to have vision on other Empires and Independent Peoples when it should not. :siren::siren:

As well as: Fixed an issue where the initial War Desire isn't added in the War Score calculation when the save has been loaded during the war, which was an issue a couple of us reported in here so that's good.

This plus the resources fix from the first beta looks pretty good!

Do Gamepass users get this beta patch, or is it only on Steam?

How likely is it the game goes on sale within the next three months?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The AI definitely has something going on that lets it see at least the general direction of resources through the fog and hoover them up. If you want to see it in action for yourself, just set your neolithic explorers into auto-explore. The AI will beeline them straight towards resources, although it seems to weigh food and science interest points evenly and completely ignores sanctuaries/hunting targets. Abusing auto-explore is the only way I've ever been able to grab Harappans before the AI. And I've still never been able to beat them to Mongols later on.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
"Infamous Magenta Empire" is a fantastic username.

I'm pretty sure the higher difficulty empires cheat on money, and thus always earn money stars ultra fast.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Does anyone know how religion/faith works? Mine got completely eradicated but I don't know how. I noticed it start to slip in the medieval era so I rushed to try and shore it up, I got every single wonder in medieval and onwards, I them in one province, and it did jack poo poo. It seems that the second it starts losing, you're hosed. Was the only way to try and force the offending ai to change state religion? I have no idea how they had 1200 faith but me with all the wonders had a paltry 150.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Ah ok, farming mammoths for a while in the Neolithic makes the culture and expansion civs much smoother. You can get your second city up asap and disband your swarm of hunters to immediately populate them both.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Ah ok, farming mammoths for a while in the Neolithic makes the culture and expansion civs much smoother. You can get your second city up asap and disband your swarm of hunters to immediately populate them both.

Wait, what? You can add pops to cities with the starting scouts? How do you do this?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Clanpot Shake posted:

Wait, what? You can add pops to cities with the starting scouts? How do you do this?

As I discovered all of half an hour ago... move them to the city, click on the unit card in the army (same as you would to upgrade or insta-heal a unit) and choose the disband option.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Can units you got from assimilation not embark? I've had a bunch of units claim that I don't have the tech when I try, but other units embark fine. As far as I can tell they've all been former independent people units.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Has the gamepass version updated at all?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

On the beta it really feels like they buffed the ai or something. I've gone from being able to keep pace with them to pretty consistently being a full era behind without any change in strategy from me. It feels like the AI just dropped the weighted clothing or something, I don't know what it's doing differently beyond kicking my rear end.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Det_no posted:

Has the gamepass version updated at all?

Yes, the game pass version got the first patch when it left beta, at the same time as epic and steam non-beta branches.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Well the Greeks are a good Hun counter.

Went Huns thinking the horse archers would be OP but Hoplites basically one shot them while taking very little damage.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
   "Well the Greeks are a good Hun counter."
   /
   /     "Went Huns thinking the horse archers would be OP but Hoplites basically one shot them while taking very little damage."
  /     /

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 2, 2021

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Not sure if this has been mentioned but I just discovered that in some narrative events there culture specific additional options.

I just got the event about priests of nature and in addition to the usual forbid for military production or embrace for additional food, I was playing Celts and got the option of building schools and gaining science. The text specifically mentioned this third option was because I was Celts.

Has anyone discovered any other unique options?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I just discovered that in some narrative events there culture specific additional options.

I just got the event about priests of nature and in addition to the usual forbid for military production or embrace for additional food, I was playing Celts and got the option of building schools and gaining science. The text specifically mentioned this third option was because I was Celts.

Has anyone discovered any other unique options?

I've heard you get different options if you change your default religion to a different one (Islam, Hinduism, etc) when you choose a tenet.

I haven't actually tested doing that yet, so I'm not 100% this is legit.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Wait what? You can change from poly/shamanism?

This game has the worst UI

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Does evolving from nondescript 'polytheism' to a real religion make it better? Because I had no idea that was a thing but maybe that's why my religion instantly collapses once I hit the Middle Ages

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It just changes your holy site look, you keep all your tenets. And doesn't change pressure because the past few times I've gotten mine wiped out the ai never changed.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Okay, so, I guess on the one hand I can no longer mock the game for having all religion be some form of either Polytheism or Shamanism

On the other hand, I can mock the game for including all of this stuff and never once making it clear that it was available

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

DaysBefore posted:

Does evolving from nondescript 'polytheism' to a real religion make it better? Because I had no idea that was a thing but maybe that's why my religion instantly collapses once I hit the Middle Ages

The holy sites for the different religions are all unique and look a lot better than the stone circle, imo. I also had issues with my religion collapsing until I tried only picking shamanism. Polytheism is good for early game faith but once population begins to rise, there's a real tipping point and it just can't compete.

Another aha moment I had was figuring out how good assimilating independent people is. You get all of their units/districts and there's no distance penalty for assimilation so you can settle a city far from your borders. I had a great game where I started the Classical era as Achaemenid Persians with some saved up influence, grabbed a couple independent cities then used their armies to wage war on my neighbor.

It's especially good if you have a unique unit that you can upgrade their units into.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I forgot to post about this before, but some people were interested in checking out Anno for a chill city builder - it's free to play till the 8th on UPlay, so uh, go check that out if you're curious

https://freeweekend.ubisoft.com/anno1800/en-US

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/anno-1800

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
idk I probably won't change because I enjoy being a non-descript "shamanist" state that erects a giant statue of Jesus for the sweet +10% yield on cities.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
My communist atheist state builds its giant Jesus right next to the Empire State Building, in order to confuse and disorient the enemy.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Eimi posted:

On the beta it really feels like they buffed the ai or something. I've gone from being able to keep pace with them to pretty consistently being a full era behind without any change in strategy from me. It feels like the AI just dropped the weighted clothing or something, I don't know what it's doing differently beyond kicking my rear end.

Patch notes:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

Patch notes:

Extremely accurate image.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Going on the second-to-highest difficulty for the first time so I tried to maximize my game - focused on industry, but did some good research too, I was way ahead of all AI at the end on every single metric except Teal had 1 more city than me from conquering two empires to me vassalizing one.

But! I made the mistake of going Australia for my Contemporary culture. Mines? Cool! Build a bunch of em and see what happens! Oh dear all of my stability is cratering - not ideal. First few turns, plant a trillion trees, stability is normalizing a bit... Prioritize stability techs - get hospitals, and things are OK! Pollution is spreading, hmmm, I haven't even discovered how rifles work, not ideal... It's weird I can run these amazing strip mines without even knowing what oil is!

Stability gets worse, plant more trees, not enough, so time to go full police state. Beeline to police stations and use my production to flood my continent with Garrisons. Stablility is normalized! Yes! Time to try a naval invasion and... oh the game is over, I managed to end the game with pollution without ever discovering how to stop pollution. At least I can do a "one more turn" to do a fun invasion in the Mad Max world I've accidentally created annnnnd - nope. Unlike other game-ending conditions I can't. Fun!

What a silly oversight - an emblematic district designed to work with the tech of the era it's supposed to be in but can be built at the tech level 3-4 earlier because eras and tech levels are completely divorced from each other. Yeah you can't build your emblematic unit but sure you can build a strip mine before you understand aluminum.

The game has so many strong points but there are just massive glaring gameplay oversights that ruin it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have played with aussies a couple of times and I built tons of strip mines etc. I always ended up with low pollution, dunno why.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

"Surviving hellworld" could be a cool expansion. Make high levels of pollution do something brutal like -80% food, and see which players can hold out the longest.

Another pet peeve I have is that I always get the "longest war" shoutout at the end of the game, but it's usually because a distant AI declared war on me and we went 100 turns without actually fighting. They should count the number of units killed in each war, and tell you if you fought in the bloodiest war in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I also like the "People will always remember you because you built a Wonder!" like bitch I built 8 wonders you panned over 5 of them in your victory shot because as far as I can tell it doesn't matter where you put them so I slap em in some forgotten desert.

"You were part of the longest war!" like yeah the AI cheats out a few stacks of 2 Scout Riders / 2 Warriors every few turns on higher difficulties so the best strategy is to bait them into a war, hide behind your pallisades, and let them beat themselves to death on them and then claim 2-3 territories.

I've only once had the announcer tell me I wasn't "good at everything" and he said I would be remembered for my "agrarian pursuits" I'm guessing this has to do with the stars you earn? The whole star system is busted as hell. Some are better than others.

Agrarian = Pop = always good
Aesthete = influence = crappy when you get all the territory you can because all laws and civics either never unlock or are some nonsense "+1 influence on territory vs. +1 faith on territory"
Builder = districts = can never not do this one if you want to win
Militarist = just killing poo poo so screw you if you're peaceful
Science = tech = oops you got too many districts and pops from makers / farmers quarters for this to matter
Merchant = I would bother to get money but industry, food, and science are ~1 million times easier and all I need it for is a few thousand in the bank when I meet a new civ to buy all their poo poo
Expansionist = do you want to go to war with your neighbors = lol you thought this would scale with world size? Nah!

Era stars are so stupid easy to get. I usually get a mix of Builder / Science / Agrarian to push me into the next era super fast just from trying to play effectively. This pretty much guarantees that I haven't unlocked my early modern era unique unit by the time I've unlocked my contemporary "civ" so I suddenly unlock a Gajnal and I'm like wtf is that I'm Mexican.