Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

on switch i think it's just a toggle

e: it is not

played a few levels of DOOM64 again just now, soooo good

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Sep 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Barudak posted:

Sorry, I was struck blind by the Quake 64 filter and was unable to read what I wrote through the migraine.

I will try the console command, sweet god it hurts.

Edit: It did not work. Gonna try dropping resolution to 480 and seeing if that helps

It's r_crtmode 0

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HolyKrap posted:

It's r_crtmode 0

Thank you, oh thank you. And it persists between loading between base Quake and Quake 64, thank you!

There is no E1M4 in Quake 64 and I thought I was having a brain lapse while playing through but no, there isn't one even in the level select.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

site posted:

i played t:v single player for the first time a few months back... you're better off just playing matches in 1 and/or 2 with bots lol

It's a cute novelty to explore Tribes lore but... who really gives a poo poo? I just wanna spinfusor funny ragdolls into the abyss.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I remember playing on a Tribes 1 server a while back, dunno if anyone still plays 2 though

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zeether posted:

I remember playing on a Tribes 1 server a while back, dunno if anyone still plays 2 though
Seems to be a few, if the TribesNext master server list isn't being a big lying fibber.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I got an update for Quake, is there a changelog anywhere?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

SMALL UPDATE / PATCH NOTES
POSTED
Thu, September 2
Quake | Minor Update Release Notes | September 2
Quake has a minor update now available.

Multiplayer Update for All Platforms
This minor update fixes an issue that caused multiplayer lobby instability for some users

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
EDIT: I am slow and weak.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

ooo steam has a quake update

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Kins posted:

EDIT: I am slow and weak.

Now, now. You had better formatting because I copied the info straight from the Steam mobile app :hai:

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Eyud posted:

Yeah, something about the interpolation or whatever isn’t as nice as other source ports. There’s a big difference in smoothness between 100 fps and 500, even though my monitor is 100 hz. vkQuake at 100 fps still feels better than the rerelease at 500. It doesn’t really bother me once I’m playing but it’s noticeable when I switch between the two. The Doom 64 port was the same way.

yeah, this seems to be what's going on here. something's up with interpolation in the quake remaster. i've tried a variety of settings and console commands, but nothing seems to fix it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I love the low-res filter. It reminds me of trying to play Quake Shareware on our old 486 Dx66 and shrinking the window down to minimum size to play it.

Thankfully it didn't have a taunting message like ROTT does!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Deakul posted:

It's a cute novelty to explore Tribes lore but... who really gives a poo poo? I just wanna spinfusor funny ragdolls into the abyss.

i iwsh it were even that, but besides the couple of times you actually get to play matches in the campaign (albeit in a very tiny arena without vehicles or anything) all the levels kinda suck and for some inexplicable reason a lot of it is just bland indoors corridor shooter stuff

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Very good news: The latest build of vkQuake now supports quake rerelease content including dimension of the machine without garbled strings and weird bugs. All you need to do is drop the mg1 folder and QuakeEX.kpf into the base folder of your vkquake install and run with the switch "-game mg1".

I'm going to enjoy replaying it on playing on a source port with accurate player movement and no weird framerate issues.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

What are the options for r_texturemode in the remaster? I've been checking out the low-res mode but it's easier to notice mipmapping on the surfaces. Is there an option for nearest neighbor without mipmapping?

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Working my way through Scourge of Armagon now. I remember getting a bit into it last time I tried, but I'm pretty sure I remember spike mine not dying from a single nail.

Did one of the ports get that wrong? I don't remember which one I was using back then.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Spike mines have always died from a single nail as far as I can recall. They're extremely resistant to explosives and it takes like 4-5 shotgun shots to kill them otherwise.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I didn’t know that about the spike mines. Are there other enemies that have specific resistances or vulnerabilities? I know that the shambler is resistant to explosives, but anything else?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

big knight guys seem to be weak to nails

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

site posted:

i iwsh it were even that, but besides the couple of times you actually get to play matches in the campaign (albeit in a very tiny arena without vehicles or anything) all the levels kinda suck and for some inexplicable reason a lot of it is just bland indoors corridor shooter stuff

I remember a whole lot of cave diving and being without any actual gear for extended periods too.

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure that the devs behind Vengeance had a clue about what anyone liked about Tribes.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Wasn't Vengeance by Irrational Games? I'm not the biggest Bioshock fan in the world but you'd think they'd get a lot of the basics right.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Tenacious_Diaz/status/1432869587176022020?s=20

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Running through Episode 3 of Quake for the first time, and holy poo poo your character portrait when you pick up the Ring of Shadows is perfect!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BisterdDave posted:

Running through Episode 3 of Quake for the first time, and holy poo poo your character portrait when you pick up the Ring of Shadows is perfect!

It’s even better when you combine it with the pentagram of protection.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

site posted:

The single player demo was the Mercury mission that takes place in the past. That gives you a lot of freedoms to do whatever. So far the first there’s been some narrow corridor poo poo and caves which don’t really demonstrate what I liked about the demo. Then some stupid bot matches in the coliseum which are annoying and keep crashing.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

So I've finished all of the officially released Quake content. I have to say, the final map of Dimension of the Machine was kind of a letdown. . . I mean, it's Chton, only you now zap him with the Thunderbolt while dealing with a bunch of other nuisances. Kind of dull. Other than that, the episode was really good design wise (with a few exceptions) and I really loved how much you could make Quake look like DUSK with the right knowhow. We've come full circle. Quake still owns and after a palate cleanser of blowing through a Doom megaWAD I'll be checking out Arcane Dimensions. That should be fun.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Eyud posted:

Yeah, something about the interpolation or whatever isn’t as nice as other source ports. There’s a big difference in smoothness between 100 fps and 500, even though my monitor is 100 hz. vkQuake at 100 fps still feels better than the rerelease at 500. It doesn’t really bother me once I’m playing but it’s noticeable when I switch between the two. The Doom 64 port was the same way.

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

yeah, this seems to be what's going on here. something's up with interpolation in the quake remaster. i've tried a variety of settings and console commands, but nothing seems to fix it.

What looks smooth and what feels smooth are highly subjective items for each player based on their preferences and hardware and experience. I don't have a solid sense of what Quake is supposed to feel like personally, but the movement in the Kex remaster of Quake looked off to me as soon as it launched and I started playing it at 144hz. What was weird is that if I stood still and moved the mouse, the panning would be as smooth as I would expect at 144fps, but as soon as I strafed around it got stuttery.

Initially I thought that I had fixed the stuttering by adding the "+r_rhirenderfamily d3d11" command to the game properties in Steam to switch from Vulkan to Direct3D 11. Eventually I realized that at some point I had also set the in-game FPS limiter to 120fps instead of running unlimited and just letting my GPU vsync clamp the framerate. I also remembered that all the other Kex remasters have had stuttery movement on my monitor if the framerate was not a multiple of 60. So I kept the max FPS at 120 and went back to vulkan.

I just tested it again after the new patch , and setting the limiter to 120fps is my only option for the game to not look stuttery to me when the player is moving. As an aside, I'm not sure why the FPS limiter in the video settings has options for 165 and 500 but not for 144; I'm sure a console command would achieve that if I bothered to look it up.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I’m absolutely loving Quake on switch. Something about the gameplay and quick saving makes it perfect for “pick up Switch which is lying around, play for a random 20mins”.

Is the Doom port on Switch worth it? I find myself wanting to spend less time sitting in front of a PC these days.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Is the Doom port on Switch worth it? I find myself wanting to spend less time sitting in front of a PC these days.
Doom 1 and 2 ports were super rough at launch, but are now rather good with a heap of good mods available to download in-game. Doom 64 is also great and by the same Night Dive team as the Quake port. All well worth the five bucks they're asking for each.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Anyone here use Dosbox-X? I was trying to run Alien Trilogy in it and all I get is a bunch of flashing ASCII garbage instead of the title screen.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Absolutely. I’ve gotten so much playtime out of them. They’re super cheap and even more cheap regularly with sales. I got each for only like a $1.50 and I’ve never played so much Doom as I have with these ports.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

Doom 1 and 2 ports were super rough at launch, but are now rather good with a heap of good mods available to download in-game. Doom 64 is also great and by the same Night Dive team as the Quake port. All well worth the five bucks they're asking for each.

Weird, I took the post to mean "is the Doom (2016) Switch port worth it?" :shrug:

I've heard that it is. I still have yet to play the new Dooms. :ohdear:

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Weird, I took the post to mean "is the Doom (2016) Switch port worth it?" :shrug:

I've heard that it is. I still have yet to play the new Dooms. :ohdear:

Actually, I saw that the Nintendo shop has a “Doom Slayers Collection” which includes the following:

Doom
Doom2
Doom3
Doom64
Doom 2016

It’s $50 which seems a bit much but if it goes on sale for like $30 I’d be tempted.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Doom 2016 and Eternal also own on Switch. Obviously they don’t look nearly as good as a pc or other consoles but they play fine.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Carpator Diei posted:

Interestingly enough, the Copper mod removes that 100% ammo efficiency because the mod author considers it a liability for map design:

The mod also attempts to give the Thunderbolt more of a distinct role by having the lightning pierce through enemies, dealing diminishing damage to each additional enemy. The Copper changelog is a really interesting read in general for anyone interested in the fine details of retro FPS design.

Copper is the best thing to happen to Quake in decades, it's a masterstroke. Going back to vanilla with the Kex port is painful. The remaster is great and I love it but vanilla Quake just feels like a sloppy budget version of the game after spending so much time with Copper. Every single alteration is just so thoughtful, and although they're subtle they make the game play better across the board. I really recommend this episode of the Quakecast with Lunaran for more nuanced takes on his thought process behind the mod.

Zeether posted:

Anyone here use Dosbox-X? I was trying to run Alien Trilogy in it and all I get is a bunch of flashing ASCII garbage instead of the title screen.

Sir, the roguelike thread is over there

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Zeether posted:

I seem to remember that game was very exacting about VESA support for high resolutions, to the point that a lot of contemporary video cards just didn’t play well with it. I don’t know what DOSBOX-X does by default, but you should see if there’s a config that’ll let you guide it down to some baseline video mode (like, say, VGA) just to get it running. After that, maybe see about emulating specific cards to get higher resolutions working.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

treat posted:

Copper is the best thing to happen to Quake in decades, it's a masterstroke. Going back to vanilla with the Kex port is painful. The remaster is great and I love it but vanilla Quake just feels like a sloppy budget version of the game after spending so much time with Copper. Every single alteration is just so thoughtful, and although they're subtle they make the game play better across the board. I really recommend this episode of the Quakecast with Lunaran for more nuanced takes on his thought process behind the mod.

You can also load Copper in the remaster by dropping its folder in its location and using "game copper" on the console (in the Steam version, that is). I'm not sure if all the gameplay changes are working correctly that way but I believe they do

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.

Negostrike posted:

You can also load Copper in the remaster by dropping its folder in its location and using "game copper" on the console (in the Steam version, that is). I'm not sure if all the gameplay changes are working correctly that way but I believe they do

Appears to work for the most part, only things I noticed that were a bit off were that the only option when loading a new game is "Underdark Overbright" which looks like an episode built for Copper, however it just loads the vanilla campaign if you don't have it installed. Also the weapon wheel transparency is effed, not a big deal though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Going from Quake -> Quake 64 version of maps is weird. Its usually aaaaalmost all the same but the lighting is totally completely different and random bits of geometry are just inexplicably gone.

Gloom Keep for instance has no archway at the start, its just a flat, full bright castle but then once inside its massively, massively darker. Which is good, because then the nail traps in the front hallway are way, way more visible since the pools of light really stick out. The level is then mostly the same but enemy placements are different, with fiends in different spots than in Quake PC but the rest of the enemies seemingly identical.

The fall at the end of the level still hurts you in both versions which leads me to theorizing some hypothetical player who finished the level up to there with sub 5 health and found out a painful fact they can't beat the level.