Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

PeePot posted:

That's the first time I've been to that forum. Oh boy, there is some real rage from "people" that just want a flight sim and all these updates have ruined the purity of the game forever.

yeah lol at the amount of people who have ~500 hours in this game complaining about how they might as well look into Star Citizen because NOW it's clear this game won't be that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

AirRaid posted:

I built a base near my town and it seems to have halted the progress. I haven't had a single update or request from my town in over a day now. I've deleted the base and I'll see if that fixes it...

I stopped getting requests long before I put a base nearby for the portal. Got the first like 5 or so in quick succession then nothing, so I'm assuming there's a per-day (or per built building?) limit

My first real building would have been long done but I think it bugged and requested all the materials twice

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
building being completed did not cause anything else to show up, productivity is down but it's a saloon so everyone's dancing so it's fine

you and me both buddy

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 2, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

WTF this game seems kinda broken?

All of the sudden it's automatically closing selection windows.
Example:
Frigate mission select: Talk to guy click through dialogue click option 1. opens closes
Frigate missions debrief: Mission computer, click option 1 pops up then closes with giving me the rewards.

Stuff like the trade termiinal is showing no power as well.
And it keeps crashing.. maybe i"m goign to give this a break for awhile again.. 1 hour in after not playing for ages and it seems broke as gently caress. Maybe i'll reinstall

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 2, 2021

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The 3.6.1 hotfix seems to have solved that issue for Steam, not sure when it's landing on consoles though if that's what you're on

MikeRabsitch posted:

On that note, I made a base before finding nodes and now I'm playing the game of dropping down random wood boards to extend my base range so I can build on nodes. After that I try to run pipelines back to base but if I accidentally step outside the range I get bumped off the build menu and have to redo the whole pipe. Is there an easier way to do this?

I meant to check this pre-patch but I think this may have been fixed too; wandering outside your buildable range with a base-building item visible maintains it but says that your base is "out of range", so that's nice

the fact that you can "cycle parts" between wires, pipes, bytebeat cables and teleporter cables is probably going to be exploitable but I have yet to figure out how

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 2, 2021

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Just got a 500MB patch. Can't find any changelog though.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

PeePot posted:

Just got a 500MB patch. Can't find any changelog though.

https://www.nomanssky.com/2021/09/frontiers-patch-3-61/

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Yeah, seems not getting settlement requests is a common occurrence as lots are complaining about it. It's probably time gated, but you'd think it'd be at least once every 24 hours, not whatever it currently is.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So now I need to find a V'Keen system with a three star economy with a paradise planet with trees and dinosaurs on it and a settlement. Could take a while.

Is there only one settlement per system?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
So yeah, just got two crashes in a row trying to collect Storm Crystals. First the game didn't let me teleport out from the planet, then it loving crashed when saving after collecting a bunch of them. Well, gently caress you to game, time to play something else until the patch drops, I guess.

I also had to dismantle parts in a couple bases because completely valid connections suddenly were blocked by glass walls, and my UW-bases are all flooded. :lol:

Hopefully a lot of this is related to snapping-errors and corrects itself after the patch, but I'm not holding my breath.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

AirRaid posted:

I built a base near my town and it seems to have halted the progress. I haven't had a single update or request from my town in over a day now. I've deleted the base and I'll see if that fixes it...

This worked. I deleted the base, saved, left for an hour to have dinner and when i loaded back up I immediately got a ping for new building opportunities.

marktheando posted:

So now I need to find a V'Keen system with a three star economy with a paradise planet with trees and dinosaurs on it and a settlement. Could take a while.

From my breif (10 systems or so) searching, yes this seems to be the case. Maps only seem to point to the same settlement at least.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

looks like a full reinstall reset my bugs at least.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I was able to work around the thing where the settlement I was initially alerted to was already claimed. I did have to complete the initial "kill sentinels" mission but then I just used a settlement chart on a different planet and when I went there it acted as if this is the settlement I had done the sentinel killing at all along and I just picked the quests up from there.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

marktheando posted:

I'd assume they're per planet but since you can only have one settlement per save file I don't know that anyone's dug into the nuances yet, even before the obvious issues that make it hard to tell what's "intended functionality" and what's busted to poo poo

my settlement spawned in a gigantic form-fit crater, complete with obviously eradicating the section of cave system that was originally underneath it, so the vertical crater walls have cave holes in them

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I'd assume they're per planet but since you can only have one settlement per save file I don't know that anyone's dug into the nuances yet, even before the obvious issues that make it hard to tell what's "intended functionality" and what's busted to poo poo

my settlement spawned in a gigantic form-fit crater, complete with obviously eradicating the section of cave system that was originally underneath it, so the vertical crater walls have cave holes in them

my settlement had a giant floating rock of doom in good view hanging above it, so I started building a base on top, just so I can look upon my domain like a crazed super-villain

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It seems like it is generally one per planet and that is probably the intent, but there have been at least according to a person I was talking to in game yesterday, there are a few instances where at least one more has been found, maybe due to bugs. The mode overlaps might be to blame for that, if Survival and Normal are bleeding together it would explain that.

Maybe I should have just waited instead of getting rid of all my moon doors yesterday.

They didn't used to fix the game this fast!

Rick fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 2, 2021

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rick posted:

They didn't used to fix the game this fast!

I feel lke they usually don't release patches this broken, either

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
How long has it been the case that crafting/resource usage has just straight up taken from any available source? I just realised I, on foot on a planet, can craft items and use resources in menus which are actually sat in a storage container on my orbiting freighter.

I'm sure this didn't used to be the case, but it's great.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Pretty recent, I think it was either companions or expeditions where I noticed that particular very-welcome QOL change.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

AirRaid posted:

How long has it been the case that crafting/resource usage has just straight up taken from any available source? I just realised I, on foot on a planet, can craft items and use resources in menus which are actually sat in a storage container on my orbiting freighter.

I'm sure this didn't used to be the case, but it's great.

I kinda wish they did this with chain recipes too haha save me some time crafting high end stuff if it just precombined all the other crap and saved me the trouble. The change is still super helpful esp on your freighter because you can combine the freighter storage containers, inventory, ship inventory, your inventory, and your bulk inventory allowing for some insane bulk crafting. I was turning all my basic components into advanced ones to save some space and consolidate my inventories and drat was it helpful.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I was flabbergasted by the trailer but I will be waiting a moment for the first patch, Hello Games is usually pretty snappy with the hot fixes so I'll be fine.

Anyone try the new update in VR?

Also, how is performance? Any better or worse?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

GODDAMN FOOL posted:

How do I get the Normandy on one of my other saves, anyway? Do I have to actually go to Nessie Q8 and activate the myth beacon again?

edit: oh, apparently I never finished the expedition and/or never claimed the Normandy, whoops

It’s some pretty straightforward config editing to give yourself all the rewards from the expeditions. Probably a Reddit post about it.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

inkmoth posted:

As a warning fellow goons, don't try to change out your settlement for a better one after you've already started it. There's a bug it seems and the new one never wants to progress past the overseer's office. Guess I'll be waiting for a patch now...

This is fixed by the new patch. Got some fancy new structure!

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

So, I'm more or less jumping in new for Frontier. Any good guides for a new player to avoid doing some incredibly stupid stuff/getting stuck somewhere/some way to get nanites and money faster than molasses/etc?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Kurui Reiten posted:

So, I'm more or less jumping in new for Frontier. Any good guides for a new player to avoid doing some incredibly stupid stuff/getting stuck somewhere/some way to get nanites and money faster than molasses/etc?

There's a few buggy things (that may no longer exist) where buying blueprints early that would normally be given by quests breaks the quest. It's a hefty nanite investment so unless you're actively avoiding the quest chains you'll never see it. Other than bugs, no you can't screw yourself so just go do stuff.

The fastest way to make early money is to sit idle in multiplayer on the Anomaly and let bored people dump riches onto you. You can use that to fund an outlay into industrial mining that will quickly cap your funds. Since money can be converted into nanites via scrapping this bypasses all progress.

I'd kinda recommend not doing that, though, since it removes a lot of the interesting parts of the game. You can also now start in an Expedition, which will give you a bunch of nifty goals and also fill out inventory slots and other stuff that can be tedious. It's not exactly a win button, but it's an accelerated start and you'll want to do the expedition anyway.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kurui Reiten posted:

I watched this video not too long ago and don't disagree with a ton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7KVFBBtGvY

The game was so different when I started out that some of this stuff I don't exactly have experience with, but I agree that it really hampered me out trying to build a farm before I had enough of the tech tree explored and also there are parts of the game that are really hard without a frig.

I honestly have no clue how to farm nanites personally. I wish I had known earlier that refining the garbage like slime and goop eventually leads you to nanites because I sold thousands of them and have no clue how one gets like 50,000 of them to improve tier of weapons or whatever.

Money is easy though once you have a fairly well researched tech tree and are ready to build a farm. Building stasis devices is your ultimate goal and will make you a billionaire but you start to have as much money as you need once you can build living glass. But like I said focusing on this too much early will get you stuck and burnt out, just saying what plants you might want to start your farm on (ice plant,

You can also just say "gently caress it' and just mine Condensed Iridium if you can find it and have more money than you ever need in like 48 hours. Although I think you probably have to get pretty far down the upgrade tree of your ship to find it unless you get really lucky.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

I honestly have no clue how to farm nanites personally. I wish I had known earlier that refining the garbage like slime and goop eventually leads you to nanites because I sold thousands of them and have no clue how one gets like 50,000 of them to improve tier of weapons or whatever.

There are basically four easy ways to get nanites:

1) Scan everything
2) Refine platinum
3) Buy and scrap ships, sell tech upgrades to the tech servants
4) Scan everything

If you have lots of refiners and industry, 2) is worthwhile, otherwise buying and selling ships. But if you're just starting out, moving around and scanning everything works the best, until you get the money for 3) or the bases set up for 2)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Reminder to spend your first nanites on scanner upgrades that multiply your scanner gains.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Libluini posted:

There are basically four easy ways to get nanites:

1) Scan everything
2) Refine platinum
3) Buy and scrap ships, sell tech upgrades to the tech servants
4) Scan everything

If you have lots of refiners and industry, 2) is worthwhile, otherwise buying and selling ships. But if you're just starting out, moving around and scanning everything works the best, until you get the money for 3) or the bases set up for 2)

I guess I should switch from space mold to platinum. 3) seems the fastest way to do it but I actually have six ships I like and that I each have a purpose (aka extra inventory slots for crafting) for so I'd hate to just dump one.

Agreed on the other stuff but that basically just usually leaves me with thousands of nanites instead of tens of thousand of nanites. I guess now that I have almost every blueprint you can buy with nanites already I'm running out of things to spend them on so it should be easier to save them.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Especially as a new player I'd say yeah, just don't settle down too soon. Do a bit of wandering and exploration and see what's around you. Do upgrade your scanner as early as you can to give you more currency whenever you scan things because that's an easy way to make money while doing whatever you'd be doing anyway.

Careful with whispering eggs. The giant worms that sometimes erupt terrifyingly out of the ground will not hurt you.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
You can also give high level food to Cronus in Anomaly in exchange for nanites

When I was upgrading my exotic ship, I ended up with tens of thousands spare nanites from all the ships I scrapped to get inventory slot upgrades.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 3, 2021

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Just for the sake of giggles I tried the sentinel walker bug nanite farm. It was comical to do once but incredibly game breaking if you wanted it to be. There’s a few YouTube videos about it and I’m not sure if it was fixed in the latest patch but essentially you trigger the game to drop sentinel walker loot boxes from the sky at a rate of ~20 per second. Can quickly crash your game if you’re not careful.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HopperUK posted:

The giant worms that sometimes erupt terrifyingly out of the ground will not hurt you.

Though don't confuse giant worms with those big one-eyed centipede things living under the ground in the ocean. Otherwise, you'll have a hilarious mind-controlled death

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Rick posted:

His videos are good, the other ones I like are from this guy.
3.62 patch dropped too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL-M89__-lU

PeePot fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 3, 2021

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Has the new Expedition started yet or are they waiting with it until the worst bugs have been ironed out?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Latest patch is still a little buggy. If I save while in the Overseer's office and then load into the game later, the office doesn't load in until I try to leave it. I've walked through walls a few times and even ended up stuck in one once. If I just stand there without trying to leave the game registers me as being outside the whole time. So I take environmental damage and everything.

Also some of the room pieces in my freighter have bends in the corners that shouldn't be visible because they should be straight.

Anyways, I hope they give it a couple weeks to iron out everything before they try and start a new expedition.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
So does the town manager thing let you build a village and assign different tasks to people, or is it just a cosmetic-level resource generator like when I send my fleet out?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Origami Dali posted:

So does the town manager thing let you build a village and assign different tasks to people, or is it just a cosmetic-level resource generator like when I send my fleet out?

Honestly doesn't seem like very much yet. Sometimes you get the choice to settle a dispute that just gives you 2 choices, sometimes you get to accept a new resident or not, and sometimes you get to construct a new building. It doesn't give you much of a choice.. The ones that I've been offered included if I want to build a tower or not, and just now if I want to build a Saloon or a Marketplace. The buildings have props in them but so far I haven't seen anything you can actually do in them yet. Basically the towns just seem to have a units based money system where they start off in debt until you can improve them to the point that they can pay off their debt. Once their debt is paid off you can get the excess units. You can talk to the NPCs but they only offer you a simple response without options. And you can't pick where you want stuff to built, it's just if you approve of it or not. And while you're the Overseer of the town, you can't actually build anything in it or claim anything. It also interferes if you try to put down a base terminal and claim a base, so you can't do stuff like build a teleporter for it. Only the stuff that the game lets you build outside of a base can be built.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

It’s a shame it’s not more in-depth, towns are a cool idea. It seems like they’re reaching the limit of the game engine though. Apparently the medium refiner deleting your items isn’t exactly a bug, it’s just how the game handles instancing of items. That seems pretty indicative that things like manually placing buildings and giving you meaningful actions are just simply beyond what the game can handle on top of implementing all of this in a complex procedurally generated environment.

Ultimately this game is a very cool and reasonably fun proof of concept, but maybe eventually we’ll get another game like this designed from the ground up without half the content being Frankenstein’d on post-launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It's interesting you mention that because they (accidentally?) removed the limits on large/medium refiner placement, and I had assumed those were there because of some attempt to prevent that item-dropping from happening in the first place