Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

I have no interest in Goro but I assume the lineup would also include humans (and near humans) in cool sci-fi gear too.

I think that a skeleton in a space suit is a must at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

What series is that from, anyway? Is it a game thing?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mythic (and now Cosmic I guess) Legions are all original creations but with a healthy dose of completely shameless ripoff.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Colorways are one of my favorite things about Sofubi.

Also painting them myself for fun. Here’s an Ultima I did a couple months ago.

is there a certain type of paint that works best on these vinyl figures? i've been wanting to try improving on some of the original paint jobs

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I’m expecting lots of star wars-adjacent characters. Dark Invader, and his enemy Lars Skyrunner.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
gently caress, I’m all about weird aliens and knock-off Star Wars designs

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I think that a skeleton in a space suit is a must at this point

I am in trouble if this shows up. I've been debating making a sixth scale custom but the suits are SO GODDAMNED EXPENSIVE.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Also definitely some KO stormtrooper they can repaint to infinity and people will want for armybuilding.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I would hope for some cool robots. I kind of always hope for cool robots in general.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Found these guys today, now I just need to find that flocked Panthor. I saw one a week or so ago, but the packaging was beat all to hell so I passed on it.

I thought I would also share my best MOTU piece, a gift from my sister.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

CRAYON posted:

is there a certain type of paint that works best on these vinyl figures? i've been wanting to try improving on some of the original paint jobs

Yes. I’ll make an effortpost when I’m not just on my phone.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Mythic (and now Cosmic I guess) Legions are all original creations but with a healthy dose of completely shameless ripoff.

I have like 80 or so of these figs, but man it's tough to keep supporting these guys. They have straight up stolen art from people for some of their designs, which is skeezy. Also, the figurehead Cornboy was openly liking a (too young for a 40 something) girl promoting her onlyfans account to buy Legions. He was also looking for 3-somes on Reddit, but I don't think he realized other people could see that (or doesn't care).

I still havent run across that new He-man/Battlecat set. The last time I mentioned not finding MOTU here I found it on my next trip, so fingers crossed!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I have like 80 or so of these figs, but man it's tough to keep supporting these guys. They have straight up stolen art from people for some of their designs, which is skeezy. Also, the figurehead Cornboy was openly liking a (too young for a 40 something) girl promoting her onlyfans account to buy Legions. He was also looking for 3-somes on Reddit, but I don't think he realized other people could see that (or doesn't care).

I still havent run across that new He-man/Battlecat set. The last time I mentioned not finding MOTU here I found it on my next trip, so fingers crossed!

Do you mind elaborating on the stolen art thing? This is the first I've heard of any of it

The rest of it is whatever honestly. What adults choose to do in their free time is on them. I'm presuming she's an adult given she has an Only Fans page but unless this guy has been grooming or worse, I don't really see the issue with what he does in his private life.

gregday
May 23, 2003

This popped up on eBay. 1:1 silicone Bobby Causey sculpt. I’m more than a little tempted.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Burkion posted:

Do you mind elaborating on the stolen art thing? This is the first I've heard of any of it

The rest of it is whatever honestly. What adults choose to do in their free time is on them. I'm presuming she's an adult given she has an Only Fans page but unless this guy has been grooming or worse, I don't really see the issue with what he does in his private life.

The two egregious examples I recall are the Goblin LB head (which is awesome) being ripped of some old RPG, and one of the elf swords ripped straight off of a dude on deviant art who drew a bunch of elven weapons. I'll have to see if I can dig up pics.

Edit: Large Elven Sowrd: http://www.sourcehorsemen.com/mythic-legions/armory-weapons/large-elven-sword vs Feanor on: https://www.deviantart.com/atohas/art/Elven-Weapons-Silmarillion-331442392

Dwarf Long Sword: http://www.sourcehorsemen.com/mythic-legions/armory-weapons/dwarf-long-sword vs https://www.inprnt.com/gallery/rdjpwns/lotr-swords/

As far as the dude's sexual proclivities, I mean he can do what he wants, but have some decorum to separate that poo poo from your job / toy line...imo.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 2, 2021

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I just wish Four Horseman would work on their engineering. Their articulating is even worse than DST, which is already impressively bad.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

They should work on not having me wait two years for my preorders all while asking for more and more preorders. Then when my thing ships and is missing something, it took four months of almost daily emails to get their lazy asses that won’t hire customer service to do anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

They should work on not having me wait two years for my preorders all while asking for more and more preorders. Then when my thing ships and is missing something, it took four months of almost daily emails to get their lazy asses that won’t hire customer service to do anything.

There's only four guys in the company and they gotta designa and manufacture and ship everything. You think they're called 100 Horsemen?

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
So the only current thing I've sort of been collecting and displaying are KAWS companions. My partner and I just bought a house in an expensive market so my art and art toy collecting has gone to the wayside but I still love reading about toy hunts and the like.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Got Darkseid in

But the big surprise package is coming, though only Gatos will super care about what it brings.

Also part 7 Jason is going to force me to rearrange my display again when he finally arrives

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

CRAYON posted:

So the BEST paint to use is vinyl paint. It's what is used in Japan. It bonds to the vinyl, dries incredibly quickly and best of all, actually flexes with the vinyl if the figure is malformed by squeezing it or heating. This is incredibly useful to kids toys made out of soft vinyl that are tossed around and played with. The paint won't flake off or scratch easily at all.

Now the bad news; When atomized in an airbrush, the paint is really loving toxic (xylene based reducer is used) and you should have really serious ventilation and a proper respirator with appropriate filters. And furthermore: the paints are really really difficult to get a hold of. There was one company importing them from Japan (Gunnzo.com) and just before the pandemic, they started their own label called Mad Ape Ninja. Of course, the Pandemic came and they couldn't import them anymore. You can still find MAN on their site but it's all in "pre-order". There is a fishing lure company that makes vinyl pain in the US but they are UV reactive day-glow colors. This makes them matte and their chroma fades quickly compared to regular vinyl paints. The colors that I do use from them, like white, black, baby bass green and a few others have a very low pigment load and you need to do 2-4 coats instead of the usual one or so.

You can also use CS brand vinyl thinner (Component Systems paint is the fishing lure paint I mentioned - https://www.csipaint.com/products/liquid-coatings/vinyl-paint-lure-jig-finish.php ) and mix it with Mr. Color lacquer (gundam paints) to airbrush and it will cure properly on soft vinyl! This is a really good compromise and actually has a huge palette. Use CS clear to add a little bit of thickness to that mix since thinning down Mr. Color will make it TOO thin. Also remember not to do this kind of mix with the Mr. Color Aqueos line as those are water based acrylics. I was told this trick by a toy maker in Japan. He mentioned he learned it while working for a medium-sized soft vinyl maker in Japan and said a lot of toy makers over there do this.

There is a new company that is making vinyl paints specifically for toy customizers and they will be shipping really soon. I've received a couple samples and the stuff is really, really legit. Check https://www.vinylwonder.com/ for those! The guy behind it, James Sizemore, is a toy maker himself (Check out IG WonderGoblin) and has done all the chemistry right, investing literally tens of thousands of dollars into proper paint milling equipment. Vinyl Wonder is going to become the soft vinyl paint available in the USA.

You can, of course, use other paints. Many art toy makers use automotive lacquers. There are tons of really wild colors out there, but the disadvantages is that they scratch easily, and if the vinyl is squeezed the paint can crack. This isn't a huge problem for most art toy collectors since they just display their pieces and don't move them around and play with them. I know Monster Kolor is a lacquer that is used by a lot of makers. I tried it for the first year of painting sofubi but eventually I tried VColor (the Japanese brand sold by Gunnzo) and was hooked, even though VColor has a much more limited palette. I just like how it's so durable. I know of some makers who will also use things like Vallejo figure paints, acrylics, and even gouache, but you have to prime the figures beforehand and still those are delicate paints.

The professional vinyl pain in Japan is known as FOK, and that stuff is MAGIC. The color pallet is somewhat limited, but it has a high, high pigment load, and since they make Cyan, Yellow, Magenta, and Black as part of their line, someone with color knowledge can REALLY mix some serious colors with them. These are industrial paints though, and also due to their highly flammable nature are just not available in the States at all. I, um, happened to get some though and it's fantastic. The purple on that Godzilla Ultima I painted is FOK Violet.

Anyway, good luck!

edie:

Burkion posted:

But the big surprise package is coming, though only Gatos will super care about what it brings.

👀

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 3, 2021

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

There's only four guys in the company and they gotta designa and manufacture and ship everything. You think they're called 100 Horsemen?

They should hire more Horsemen!

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I don't know how Five Guys keep all those restaurants open; poor dudes must be so overworked.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Bitchin' paint info!

So where does the color of the vinyl itself come in? Is that just dye or pigment added to the vinyl? Same with the sparkly stuff?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Anyone have any experience with NECA's Puppet Master figures? I loved the movies and the figures look good but they seem to be permanently discounted by 45%.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Only real complaint I've had with any NECA stuff is they use really lovely plastic, so their figs can be brittle. If you don't gorilla hands them or leave them in the sun you should be fine to pickup whatever.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The_Doctor posted:

I’m expecting lots of star wars-adjacent characters. Dark Invader, and his enemy Lars Skyrunner.

I would love some not-40k stuff. Chaos Cultists, Mechanicus guys, Inquisition retinue guys, it would easy to do figures that are recognizably those things while also being legally distinct.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Only real complaint I've had with any NECA stuff is they use really lovely plastic, so their figs can be brittle. If you don't gorilla hands them or leave them in the sun you should be fine to pickup whatever.

Yeah that and brittle joints I've heard was a big complaint a few years ago but I've also heard they improved a lot lately.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have a perfect neca figure

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I need to share this amazing eBay listing for Ex Nihilo from the Marvel Legends line: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Legends-Ex-Nihilo-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-loose-Hasbro-2017-/274928515991

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

It's nothing soft nor cat related, but it's certainly filling some holes I have in my toku corners that I've wanted taken care of for a while

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Joe Fisto posted:

This is loving great. drat, Skeletor has some ta-tas!

Cloks posted:

I need to share this amazing eBay listing for Ex Nihilo from the Marvel Legends line: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Legends-Ex-Nihilo-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-loose-Hasbro-2017-/274928515991

This is also loving great, and well worth the click. Thank you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

thiccabod posted:

I don't know how Five Guys keep all those restaurants open; poor dudes must be so overworked.

It's Five Guys per restaurant, duh. :rolleyes:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

So where does the color of the vinyl itself come in? Is that just dye or pigment added to the vinyl? Same with the sparkly stuff?

Whatever color you order. Some factories will even let you chose by Pantone colors, smaller ones don't usually though because you have to order the vinyl in 16 liter cans from the manufacturer of the liquid vinyl, and they don't go through that much of a particular color sometimes. The place I go through I send pictures of the colors I want and hopefully they match it or at least as close enough. This has only really been disappointing to me once when I ordered hot pink and got more of a bubblegum pink instead of the eye-searing pink I was wanting.

For glitter (known as lamé in Japan) it's added to clear vinyl, but you can only use certain sized glitter because you don't want to add a rough texture to the vinyl, making paint masks useless. There are methods for adding big glitter and such but it's more expensive and some places don't want to do it because it's a technique that is physically more difficult and produces more waste vinyl.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Cloks posted:

The best way to list loose figures

Ed: Gatos, I'm really glad for your honest and informative posts about sofubi because they paint (lol) a clear picture that I just don't have the logistics to get into the hobby wrt production.

Do you have any IG accounts to follow for designs similar to this guy, who I've posted/you seem to know about? I like more bizarre designs & kaiju stuff
I blame my inner edgelord

DJ Fuckboy Supreme fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 3, 2021

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

The best way to list loose figures

Ed: Gatos, I'm really glad for your honest and informative posts about sofubi because they paint (lol) a clear picture that I just don't have the logistics to get into the hobby wrt production.

Do you have any IG accounts to follow for designs similar to this guy, who I've posted/you seem to know about? I like more bizarre designs & kaiju stuff
I blame my inner edgelord

https://www.instagram.com/paulkaiju/ <--- Paul Kaiju is HIGHLY sought after and makes some amazing stuff. Priced $$$$

https://www.instagram.com/mutantvinylhardcore/ <--- also highly collectible and $$$ especially on the aftermarket

https://www.instagram.com/shirahamatoy/ <--- American who lives in Japan and has his own soft vinyl making facility. Probably the best maker of marbled soft vinyls ever as well.

https://www.instagram.com/blobpus/ <--- Japanese maker who does weird paint jobs as well.

https://www.instagram.com/lulubell_toys/ <--- toy shop in AZ that also has lots of soft vinyl that are made by their partner in Japan. Unusual and lots of times really well priced sofubi of their own making.

https://www.instagram.com/grodyshogun/ <---Lulubelle Toys man in Japan. Luke does weird and fun sculptures and isn't afraid of taking strange risks or using old parts from other old toys like doll heads to make new soft vinyls.

https://www.instagram.com/sqdblstr/ <--- another ExPat in Japan who makes some fun stuff.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 3, 2021

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I've booked tickets for one of the bigger comic cons here in the UK for November.

I'm thinking of saving a wad of cash between now and then, to see if I can finish my vintage MOTU collection that I've had since I was a kid.

The only figures I need are Scare Glow, Randor, Sorceress and Blast Attak, so big money figures.

These figs weren't widely available over here when they were released, so not exactly easy to find, but I think this is the year to finish the collection one way or another.

Pitwar fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 3, 2021

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Joe Fisto posted:

Is there an artist for this thing? I would love to see their other work.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

This is 100% how I feel.

Gonna keep the dream alive though, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

From the Funny Pictures thread

For Mega Construx MOTU fans Big Bad Toy Store has preorders for the
Land Shark - https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/176789
and
Hordak Strikes - https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/176796
no pics, but I think those will come at PowerCon.

Also, Amazon has the last Mega MOTU Heroes wave for order again, which isn't selling out as fast as the last time they listed it
https://www.amazon.com/Mega-HBP37-Masters-Universe-Heroes/dp/B08V3KG5PN?tag=transformers-20

Finally Mega is doing a Slime Pit - coming sometime?