Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Brandfarlig posted:

How the hell do you pronounce Horese? Hore-se ? like Morrissey ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Agamotto?

Vvvv prost! :cheers:

B33rChiller has a new favorite as of 15:33 on Sep 2, 2021

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Gesundheit

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

It is legitimately amazing that Whole Dude wasn't like "gently caress, I'm wrong, Jeffo thanks for being upstanding it's all my misunderstanding here" and instead launches into whattaboutism

The entirety of internet culture is centered around teenagers and men who have crippled empathy drives.

There still is a strong misanthropic streak here but it's been interesting watching the most diehard 4chan types slowly be forced out over the years. We're still weirdos but I'd say most of us are functioning adults with empathy now.

I can't imagine gbs 2.0 happening now, and that was only 6-7 years ago. Though gbs often does try to prove me wrong.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Weird question, but I asked this in the previous version of this thread, but I didn't get an answer: how did the feud between Lurdiak (Game Jam guy who got super upset over constructive criticism from an Imp Zone poster) and Benghazi 2 (aka Dickeye) begin? Their hatred of each other was so notorious that there was a CineD rule that forbid them from interacting, IIRC.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Lurdiak is annoying and Dickeye's the type to get riled up. Lurdiak would post something stupid, everyone would tell him that was stupid, Dickeye would be more aggressive about saying how stupid it was because she's like that, Lurdiak would flip the gently caress out at Dickeye.

edit supposedly dickeye is much more chill now that she's severed from a toxic relationship and better medicated

edit2 free dickeye

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Beneath the short temper and abrasive posting, I got the sense that Dickeye was ultimately a well-meaning person who just needed to work through some things in her life (glad to hear she did!).

Lurdiak was just a smug rear end in a top hat. Hardly the worst goon ever, but still deeply unpleasant.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A lot of it also built up in BSS. They both have lovely opinions on nearly everything and BSS is a much lower traffic forum than CineD. Dickeye was eventually forum banned from there though and it continued in CineD I guess.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

FilthyImp posted:

It is legitimately amazing that Whole Dude wasn't like "gently caress, I'm wrong, Jeffo thanks for being upstanding it's all my misunderstanding here" and instead launches into whattaboutism

Is it, though

I mean really what else would a goon do with their self-righteousness

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Treguna Mekoides posted:

Speaking of memorable phrases, the other day a few acquaintances in a work chat kept saying "consequences will never be the same" and "ya dun goofed." I saw that stuff on early SA too.

I was like "Wait, I know that video," and started looking into it tonight after work and I'm kind of shocked. Does anyone else remember that...that was because an 11 year old child (who had been groomed by someone, and like, IIRC her dad was abusive too) was being harassed on Stickam by 4chan and her father was threatening the people who were harassing his child as she sobbed because she was being basically pseudo-KiwiFarmed? Like, I get his verbiage is funny, but the entire "Jessi Slaughter" thing isn't funny at all.

Wild that I used to think that video was funny when I was an older teen/young college student around the same time. I don't know what was wrong with us in the '00s.

Edit: All of the above flouncing about "making him whole" was loving amazing at the time. Thank you for requoting it so we can enjoy it again.

I think part of why it was funny at the time (speaking as someone who was in their mid 20's around the time that happened) was just the general sense of "lol the internet isn't real life" and probably a bit of the general callousness and laughing at the freak show.

In retrospect, and with the additional information that has come out since then about Jessi, yeah it's all super gross and hosed up, much like the Chris Chan stuff is/was.

"You Dun Goofed" however is still pretty drat funny as a phrase though, and I've found myself using it now and again over the years. I blame this on years of internet poisoning.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
turdiak

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's pronounced like Horace.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Dickeye and lurdiak also both used to host screenings and while lurdiak's streams were fine dickeye's tended to be really fun extremely weird poo poo like the follow up to surviving edged weapons and magic lizard and I think lurdiak was kinda jealous.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

TheFluff posted:

Is it possible to search LF? Is it enough if I construct my own search form payload or is it not even indexed? I went spelunking in the archives but people just posted a completely unreasonable amount of threads circa 2008. There's 575 pages of threads in LF in the 2008 archives alone :negative: I can't even find my own old threads in there

There's no archives search right now.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

joylessdivision posted:

"You Dun Goofed" however is still pretty drat funny as a phrase though, and I've found myself using it now and again over the years. I blame this on years of internet poisoning.
I feel quite satisfied not knowing anything about any of those terrible experiences, but I can say " you dun goofed" was not coined by anyone doing an internet video. I remember my father using that same phrase in the 80s.Though, it very well may have gained more widespread use as a result of whatever y'all are talking about

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

TheFluff posted:

Is it possible to search LF? Is it enough if I construct my own search form payload or is it not even indexed? I went spelunking in the archives but people just posted a completely unreasonable amount of threads circa 2008. There's 575 pages of threads in LF in the 2008 archives alone :negative: I can't even find my own old threads in there

Back in the day the forums would crash if a thread got too long, so they routinely closed them after like 50 pages. This discouraged megathreads, so instead of chat threads people made new threads for every little topic and derail.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

the only thing i can remember about dickeye is he did that goon thing where he refered to their partner as dick-wife or some combination of his username and pronoun

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Dongicus posted:

the only thing i can remember about dickeye is he did that goon thing where he refered to their partner as dick-wife or some combination of his username and pronoun

It would be a pleasure to meet Mrs. Dong-Wife!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Remember when mentioning you had a partner or spouse was considered a humblebrag

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Remember when mentioning you had a partner or spouse was considered a humblebrag

We get it, you have long term memory :rolleyes:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MY MEMORY

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Goon Boots posted:

It would be a pleasure to meet Mrs. Dong-Wife!

my asian wife

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Dongicus posted:

They lost their mind at Synthy saying Gone Homo at them once

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Dongicus posted:

I remember her calling her girlfriend vageye a couple times but that's about it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
MAI WAIF

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Didn’t that have a word filter for the all-caps and sirens? I think that mostly died off before I regged so I never quoted any of the posts and saw one way or the other.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yep. That's where the whole "MY GIRLFRIEND" thing came from.

Edit: Whoops, someone else beat me to it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Didn’t that have a word filter for the all-caps and sirens? I think that mostly died off before I regged so I never quoted any of the posts and saw one way or the other.

I actually don't know if it was a word filter so much as a weird little forums meme

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

people still do it occasionally. I saw someone do it in GIP a couple month ago, I think

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Somehow I never noticed her name is "Horese" and not just "Horse"

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

lol do you have a link or a quote for this cause that rules

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Saagonsa posted:

lmfao

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

pog boyfriend posted:

lol do you have a link or a quote for this cause that rules

Apologies, someone else must've done the gone homo thing, synthy just made them lose their mind by saying it was a bad game. Found the link though.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3579076&pagenumber=1612&perpage=40#post423471515

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

you know what I hate about these forums sometimes. you will hear about someone, and hear these stories for years, and no one will mention that dickeye is benghazi 2 until one day its like "what the gently caress?"

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

RFC2324 posted:

you know what I hate about these forums sometimes. you will hear about someone, and hear these stories for years, and no one will mention that dickeye is benghazi 2 until one day its like "what the gently caress?"

Same. We need a previously known as feature.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

We had one poster in the MMA threads who had been mocked into the ground and driven away, and for years people still went back to that poster's posts and laughed at them, including some pictures where they had self-doxed. And then after years of this a different poster who had been around for all of that retrospective mocking, and who was a reasonably ok poster, outed themselves as the previous poster, and it didn't take too long after that for them to get in a fight and they were driven away again.

I'd name names but the poster in this case went through some individual identity changes so I'd prefer not to be the one to expose them more than the vague anecdote.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CommonShore posted:

We had one poster in the MMA threads who had been mocked into the ground and driven away, and for years people still went back to that poster's posts and laughed at them, including some pictures where they had self-doxed. And then after years of this a different poster who had been around for all of that retrospective mocking, and who was a reasonably ok poster, outed themselves as the previous poster, and it didn't take too long after that for them to get in a fight and they were driven away again.

I'd name names but the poster in this case went through some individual identity changes so I'd prefer not to be the one to expose them more than the vague anecdote.

It's not Paradol Ex, is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Zil posted:

Same. We need a previously known as feature.