Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Wentz will get covid and his lungs will get destroyed. It's written.

The man cannot stay healthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Who's ready to change their life?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Stealing the gimmick of a Browns fan about how your team will never be good/get a good QB when you went to the Superbowl 5 years ago.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

The amount of whining from the Broncos fanbase as a team that won a superbowl half a decade ago is pathetic and Also very funny

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I am personally embracing my team becoming the new old Browns

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Grittybeard posted:

As a stat nerd I was wondering what OJ would have done with 16 games long ago my friend. It would have been very brutal, both on the field and with everyone to this day having to note the unrepentant murderer's single season rushing record.

So, in the end I welcome more games from a stats standpoint just in case something like that comes up again.

OJ's record still gets brought up now and then because he did it in a 14-game season. This ignores that Barry Sanders rushed for a total of 53 yards in the first two games of 1997, then ran for an even 2000 in the remaining 14. Or how the following year, the Broncos would pull Terrell Davis from games where they already had a huge lead. He got taken out of the game late in the 3rd or early in the 4th a bunch of times, and in a game against the Eagles he had 168 yards in the first half and then sat out the entire second cause they were already up 35-2 (:laffo:). In effect, he ran for his 2008 rushing yards in what was closer to 13 games played, and easily could have totaled more if he'd wanted to. The contrast for OJ is Bills didn't have many blow out wins, and in games where they were on the wrong side of a rout (Notably, both games against Miami), they'd feed OJ so he'd get as many yards as possible, since they knew he was going for 2000.

That said, there have only been eight 2000 yard seasons, one 1,900 yard season after that, and then another 13 guys passed 1800 rushing yards. Getting that many rushing yards ain't gonna be easy with how teams use backs in the modern NFL. I suspect we'll see a bunch more 5000 passing yard seasons, and wouldn't be surprised if 5500 gets cracked in the near future. Peyton's record from 2013 was 5477, and for comparison, Marino's 1984 was 5084, which is still generally held as a huge accomplishment considering the era.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Get off our jocks ya horse face loving bastards

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

sweet thursday posted:

I have a copy of Dianetics if you want to read more stupid poo poo!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I will say, it is really amusing how badly the Broncos have bungled the QB position

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Ehud posted:

I have a copy of Dianetics if you want to read more stupid poo poo!
Hey pal if I wanted to read stupid poo poo I'd hack into the mod forum!

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

The broncos are probably a playoff team if they drafted fields or Jones but when you are staring at a luxury cornerback who won't start much this year in the first round you gotta take it

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Surtan isn't even starting this year? Well the Broncos need a new gm.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I don't care if the cornerback is Deion loving Sanders you never pass on a possible cornerstone QB to take him

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

I don't care if the cornerback is Deion loving Sanders you never pass on a possible cornerstone QB to take him

Glancing at that draft and assuming you can get someone to toss fly balls to Michael Irvin I think I take Sanders over Aikman.

Different time and rules of course.

e: didn't realize the Cowboys used a first round pick in the supplemental draft to grab Steve Walsh that year? What?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean at the end of the day you have to trust your scouts grades.

Like, if you say always take the QB when you need one, look at the 2011 draft:

1-8 Jake Locker
1-9 Tyron Smith
1-10 Blaine Gabbert
1-11 JJ Watt
1-12 Christian Ponder
1-14 Robert Quinn
1-15 Mike Pouncey
1-16 Ryan Kerrigan
1-17 Nate Solder

Of course, depends on your scouts.

Because when Mac Jones turns into the next Tom Brady, well 14 teams gonna be looking foolish I tell ya what.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
At what point do people go “well maybe he’s on to something” with the TB12 and no strawberries(?) stuff? Like if he keeps this up for another 5 years? 8?

It would be hilarious if whatever he’s actually doing is really the key to immortality or at least extending your life exponentially

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean Peyton would have gone this long if his neck didn’t explode

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kalli posted:

I mean at the end of the day you have to trust your scouts grades.

Like, if you say always take the QB when you need one, look at the 2011 draft:

1-8 Jake Locker
1-9 Tyron Smith
1-10 Blaine Gabbert
1-11 JJ Watt
1-12 Christian Ponder
1-14 Robert Quinn
1-15 Mike Pouncey
1-16 Ryan Kerrigan
1-17 Nate Solder

Of course, depends on your scouts.

Because when Mac Jones turns into the next Tom Brady, well 14 teams gonna be looking foolish I tell ya what.

draft two QBs every year until you hit on one because you aren't doing poo poo without one

And if your scouts say pass on Fields fire your scouts

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

You call that a loving lovely quarterback shirt?????

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

You call that a loving lovely quarterback shirt?????

well it has siemian on it

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mystic Stylez posted:

well it has siemian on it

How loving dare you insult a Gator Bowl Champion.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

sweet thursday posted:

A friend bought me this book years ago to troll me and it loving owns

It's 80 percent pictures of Tom in romance novel cover poses looking at you in a way that lets you fantasize he's your boyfriend

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Joey Freshwater posted:

At what point do people go “well maybe he’s on to something” with the TB12 and no strawberries(?) stuff? Like if he keeps this up for another 5 years? 8?

It would be hilarious if whatever he’s actually doing is really the key to immortality or at least extending your life exponentially

Being a Bucs fan is the key to immortality? poo poo.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
For comparison:

This was the last version of it I had saved, so there may be more before the guy retired it. Note the last name on there is Austin Davis, who played for them in 2015, before Hue Jackson was hired and had the 1-15 and 0-16 seasons. They could have still added Cody Kessler, Robert Griffin III, DeShone Kizer, Kevin Hogan, and Tyrod Taylor before they got to Baker in 2018.

EDIT:

Also, for comedy, here's Febreeze's hydra

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Brees
Bridgewater
Hill
Winston

Am I doing this right?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

fartknocker posted:

For comparison:

This was the last version of it I had saved, so there may be more before the guy retired it. Note the last name on there is Austin Davis, who played for them in 2015, before Hue Jackson was hired and had the 1-15 and 0-16 seasons. They could have still added Cody Kessler, Robert Griffin III, DeShone Kizer, Kevin Hogan, and Tyrod Taylor before they got to Baker in 2018.

EDIT:

Also, for comedy, here's Febreeze's hydra

Amateurs

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Raku posted:

A friend bought me this book years ago to troll me and it loving owns

It's 80 percent pictures of Tom in romance novel cover poses looking at you in a way that lets you fantasize he's your boyfriend
Perfect

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

wonder how many of those QBs could have had a nice career if they hadn't been drafted by Cleveland

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

How loving dare you insult a Gator Bowl Champion.

did you see the Ravens signed Northwestern legend Blake Gallagher to the practice squad

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

AndrewP posted:

wonder how many of those QBs could have had a nice career if they hadn't been drafted by Cleveland

None of them were particularly heralded prospects or NFL quality starters. Journeymen and late first iffy QBs. Quinn was probably the best chance out of all of them but even then he was pretty pedestrian despite his college stats.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Doltos posted:

None of them were particularly heralded prospects or NFL quality starters. Journeymen and late first iffy QBs. Quinn was probably the best chance out of all of them but even then he was pretty pedestrian despite his college stats.

Brady Quinn and Colt McCoy. I think McCoy in general screams Patriot QB, I remember him doing some of the stuff people are heralding Mac Jones for doing like checking at the line and audibling but then he got his bell rung

Definitely not Brandon Weeden, I can't believe they took him at that age lol

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Nodoze posted:

Brady Quinn and Colt McCoy

Definitely not Brandon Weeden, I can't believe they took him at that age lol

Mccoy was gone from this world before getting drafted

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nodoze posted:

Brady Quinn and Colt McCoy. I think McCoy in general screams Patriot QB, I remember him doing some of the stuff people are heralding Mac Jones for doing like checking at the line and audibling but then he got his bell rung

I don't think McCoy had a real NFL arm. Toolsiest guy on that list might be Dilfer?...???

Just awful drafting and signings all around. Oh...missed the original Couch, he was the guy who should have worked out but didn't.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Wasn't Tim Couch well regarded until....well Cleveland happened.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Yeah we threw Couch to the wolves. He had no chance.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

LiquidFriend posted:

Wasn't Tim Couch well regarded until....well Cleveland happened.

Wasn't he an air raid guy before people realized what the air raid was

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chucktesla posted:

Yeah but he was a legit top recruit and destined for the NFL out of high school. It's possible that the air raid hurt his development, then bad coaching in the league didn't help.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Chucktesla posted:

Before the Air Raid guys, it was Run & Shoot quarterbacks like Andre Ware and David Klingler who had massive college stats but didn’t amount to anything in the NFL (And Ware even played for a Lions team running the same offense with Barry Sanders).

Couch was viewed as the clear cut #1 QB in 1999, not to the same level as prospects like :manning: the year before or :vick: two years later, but it wasn’t regarded as a particularly bad class either (And :mcnabb: proved solid for a long time). Couch got thrown into a meat grinder and that hosed him up. He eventually showed some flashes over his time in Cleveland, with a few Hail Marys and helping get them to the playoffs in 2002, but then he started breaking down physically while the team rallied around Kelly Holcomb as the staff and front office began to really become the Browns of the 00s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Hes still good. Had his best year last year