Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
does japan have like IRA equivalents or a national pension like how do folks save for retirement surely mrs makunouchi shouldn't have to be working until shes like 90 because her idiot son couldn't stop buying wood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ If he ever gets married to Kumi that will help. She's a nurse and seems to be a responsible person, so she can support Ippo and Ippo's mom

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Remember when ippo spent all his championship money on logs and pounded them into the side of the riverbank

Did Kamogawa tell him to do this

I bet he did, that son of a bitch

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

Did Kamogawa tell him to do this

I bet he did, that son of a bitch

No Ippo came up with it on his own. Which Kamogawa then thought back to when he did that. So he asked if Ippo smashed all these logs into the hillside with his fists, to which he was told of course not he used a hammer. Leading Kamogawa to go "Oh yeah of course, I guess using your fists to punch a log would be really stupid..."

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

No Ippo came up with it on his own. Which Kamogawa then thought back to when he did that. So he asked if Ippo smashed all these logs into the hillside with his fists, to which he was told of course not he used a hammer. Leading Kamogawa to go "Oh yeah of course, I guess using your fists to punch a log would be really stupid..."

yeah that was actually quite a funny moment lol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

lol yeah I remember that now. Made it even funnier in the Kamogawa flashback arc.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

If he had used his fists to punch those logs, maybe he would have won against Gonzalez.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

tbp posted:

literally the most unrealistic thing in the manga is that the loving line has been there for like 18 months now

Takamura has the heel of a champion, just, like, world-class heels. You can't expect the Earth to be able to compete with that.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

tbp posted:

literally the most unrealistic thing in the manga is that the loving line has been there for like 18 months now
He drew it with Boxer's Haki.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
chapter 1350

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
gently caress yeah, we're about to see a REAL fight!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

chapter 1351
Everyone agrees, Miyata needs to :sever:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
chapter 1352

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
did mashiba always have a girlfriend

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

well that was a chapter of Hajime no Ippo, the boxing manga

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
...what a clever way of slamming down paragraphs worth of description about the next opponent without showing much of anything...yes, clever...

This manga.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

pnumoman posted:

...what a clever way of slamming down paragraphs worth of description about the next opponent without showing much of anything...yes, clever...

This manga.

If it saves him having to draw four issues of it so he can rest up for Mashiba fights I'll take that trade.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Jiro posted:

If it saves him having to draw four issues of it so he can rest up for Mashiba fights I'll take that trade.

Eh, can't argue with that I guess. Hope this fight is actually good

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

he also managed the info dump in character and progressing the story a little bit so no complaints

ippo shows his development to the reader, mashiba gets motivation to work with ippo here, etc.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Centzon Totochtin posted:

did mashiba always have a girlfriend

She was there during the Iga fight.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I basically get the "angle" they're going for with Ippo's inevitable return to the ring (being a coach/second and focusing on other matches has made him a lot more analytical), but the story really needs to get on with it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I hope he never gets in the ring again.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I hope he gets in the ring with Miyata and they both do a double ko and both die right there, the end

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
It won't happen, but I would really love to see Ippo truly become a world class trainer while never getting back in the ring to fight. And I want to see his breakthrough as he realizes how limited and actively detrimental Kamogawa's methods have always been. Hell, there should be an arc where Takamura loses because of the coach and it's Ippo who gets him back to the top.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Kamogawa honestly seems ok at the training part, he's just useless as a second and has nothing to offer once ring side.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I hope he never gets in the ring again.

He totally is tho, I bet that's where the Aoki being good at mitt training goes; he ends up retiring and becoming a Second instead while Ippo taps back in.

Ytlaya posted:

but the story really needs to get on with it.

What manga are you reading? HnI hasn't had a brisk pace since like the 100s chapters. Though that does make it pretty easy to start a re-read because it's just training fight training fight training fightFightFIGHT THA DEMPTY ROLLU !!!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

He totally is tho, I bet that's where the Aoki being good at mitt training goes; he ends up retiring and becoming a Second instead while Ippo taps back in.
aoki becoming a 2nd is almost guaranteed imo. the recent exclamation that he's quite good at it is just more evidence. but there's a really easy, really satisfying route to wrapping up his and kimuras storyline - having aoki be the 2nd for kimura as the latter challenges iga for the lightweight title.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MonsterEnvy posted:

Kamogawa honestly seems ok at the training part, he's just useless as a second and has nothing to offer once ring side.

I think Kamogawa is good at drilling fundamentals and spotting/allowing his fighters to work on their strengths rather than trying to fix their flaws, he just sucks at having good gameplans and doesn't understand how to preserve his fighters' physical well-being. Kimura has been cutting like crazy since forever, Ippo and Takamura are encouraged to eat shots to use their power...which actually makes sense considering how he got into boxing and all. Dude's dated but can still shape people into decent fighters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dias posted:

I think Kamogawa is good at drilling fundamentals and spotting/allowing his fighters to work on their strengths rather than trying to fix their flaws, he just sucks at having good gameplans and doesn't understand how to preserve his fighters' physical well-being. Kimura has been cutting like crazy since forever, Ippo and Takamura are encouraged to eat shots to use their power...which actually makes sense considering how he got into boxing and all. Dude's dated but can still shape people into decent fighters.

Well Kamogawa is not Kimura's coach. And Kimura has been encouraged to move out of his weight class already.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Chapter 1353

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

not a fight I was expecting.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Look at this moron having sponsors. So arrogant.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1354

MonsterEnvy posted:

not a fight I was expecting.

You were halfway right, it was not a fight.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:sigh:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think the fight is over.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think the fight is over.

Yeah no way, he spars with Sendo who is all about that Hard Punch Life, He's doing some secret karate technique to be able to deflect the force or some poo poo.

Unrelated, did the girl Mashiba was walking home have Sharingan eyes?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Might need to go back to the drawing board for that Ricardo gameplan Sendo.

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah no way, he spars with Sendo who is all about that Hard Punch Life, He's doing some secret karate technique to be able to deflect the force or some poo poo.

Unrelated, did the girl Mashiba was walking home have Sharingan eyes?

I think she just has a lot of eyelashes.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

That "look at his huge right arm!" page has some real meme potential, such a weird pose

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
To be fair, sendo's plan being "what if I punch the other guy really hard before he punches me" is extremely on brand for him

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://hni-scantrad.com/lel/read/hajime-no-ippo/en-us/134/1355/page/1

New chapter featuring people wondering why people are suddenly being stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like fights between idiots that love getting punched in the face.