Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

the "SHAREHOLDER" and "MY WWE STOCK" stuff is the funniest thing to me

they absolutely don't trade stocks or they have like 5 shares, it's like the crypto weirdos retweeting Elon Musk all day that have like $200 in GokuCoin or whatever is being astroturfed by 4chan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

"Its the fans fault for not watching" is the ultimate WWE brain

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Davros1 posted:

He's retweeted this response almost twenty times at this moment:

https://twitter.com/MikeJ0nesssssss/status/1433186026084831234?s=20

I, too, blame the fans for not intentionally subjecting themselves to something that keeps getting worse.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

MassRafTer posted:

One Mike tweets too much, the superior Mike tweets too little :(

The Virgin Mike and the Chad Mike.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TL posted:

The Virgin Mike and the Chad Mike.

Chad Mike's dark secret is that he's a virgin, shockingly

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

boxcarhobo posted:

the knicks av just makes it legit kind of sad

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

Let me be clear that I'm still beside myself and am marking out with the rest of everyone about Punk returning. I used to draw the little X's on my hands and did the X symbol at my gradeschool graduation. He was a big part of my childhood, so this means a lot to me too. But I want to ask this for discussion's sake:

Can the CM Punk character really work in AEW?

What turned Punk from cherished indy darling to the hottest thing since Austin was him standing up to authority and voicing out all our frustrations we've had with WWE over the years. It was one man threatening to destabilize the most successful company in the industry's history. It blurred the lines between story and reality, which hasn't really been seen to that main-event extent, and was incredibly cathartic for the IWC. Just an amazing time to be a wrestling fan.

In his return so far, he's just been kind of happy to be there. All smiley and even praising AEW. I mean I get it, everyone's happy to see him so he needs to play into that, and he genuinely is happy to be there, but that leaves us with the question of who Punk will be in AEW. I'm sure they'll turn him heel in a year or so, and we'll see him at his best when he's ripping people a new one verbally. But that's not the anti-authority, revolutionary underdog that we're all ecstatic is now returning.

I'm not saying he should be bashing AEW for its own sake - and yes, I know he's more than just the Summer of Punk. He has fantastic work from before WWE (or even just before Summer of Punk), and he's more than capable of being captivating and entertaining regardless. But still, what made Punk Punk was the Summer of Punk.

If he doesn't have a mega-company to be fighting against, then who is CM Punk?

Edit: Guys, I just want to re-emphasize that I'm not saying he's not gonna work out in AEW. Obviously he will. The man is more than capable and we already know that. That wasn't the question. But, how wil the character adapt? Because it obviously won't be the exact same as his WWE character.

And I know that no one really knows how it will happen, but I'm just posing the question for discussion's sake, you know? That's like half the reason why reddit exists. To talk and discuss.

WWE has really rotted people's brains.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I wonder what Punk will do in the company where the majority of the EVPs are also the top heels.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

I wonder what Punk will do in the company where the majority of the EVPs are also the top heels.

finally heel corporate cody comes to life and punk must Enter The Codyverse

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Gumball Gumption posted:

I wonder what Punk will do in a company where the top face is an alcoholic.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lid posted:

I wonder what Punk will do in a company where the top face is an alcoholic.

Oh god, it's basically the Punk/Austin fantasy booking but with the ages reversed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

boxcarhobo posted:

the knicks av just makes it legit kind of sad

As a Knicks fan... yeah.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"wrestler fighting against authority figure" is beyond loving stale and the last time it happened in WWE it was unbearable. I'm thankful it hasn't really happened in AEW and it never needs to.

"How will the character adapt?" pretending as though this guy never existed before WWE

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Pinche Rudo posted:

"Its the fans fault for not watching" is the ultimate WWE brain

WWE cannot fail. WWE can only be failed.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

https://twitter.com/Pamaelic/status/1433519987080237057

Literally the best rating AEW has ever got for a go home show.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
"I'm sure they'll just turn him heel soon and make him good", is my favorite part of that reddit post, WWE really has colored stuff for people watching.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I'm way more interested in the massive potential for vs. self stories they can tell with Punk. How does he adapt when the promotion is actually behind him, both in kayfabe and reality? There's a lot of stuff they can touch on.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Renaissance Spam posted:

You know those folks who support really crappy sports teams? Not the folks who cheer for their home team, but the ones who invest a lot of their identity into being a fan and talk about loyalty and being through the bad times and the good? This is the headspace these people have. They've picked their team and until it dies they will never give up.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

WHOOOOSH

https://twitter.com/DaCoolDude90/status/1433514617301438468?s=20

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just clicked on the John Cena quote, incredible :allears:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Minus a star because i thought it would have clicker clack sounds like Wheel of Fortune

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lid posted:

Minus a star because i thought it would have clicker clack sounds like Wheel of Fortune

Ya gotta put a bubblegum card in the spokes for that

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/sundownmotel/status/1433463188956221448

Gee it's almost like NXT kept getting worse over the years, you really nailed that strawman Bill!

Hanstock is low-key the most annoying account on Wrestling Twitter. Just a potent combination of wrong and smarmy.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Benne posted:

Gee it's almost like NXT kept getting worse over the years, you really nailed that strawman Bill!

Hanstock is low-key the most annoying account on Wrestling Twitter. Just a potent combination of wrong and smarmy.

The strawman is that in the comments he says that Vince and Brother Love assuming direct control is Fake News and as thats collapsing i'm predicting he'll say "even if not Fake News it will still be the same alcohol-free duff we all enjoyed!"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Benne posted:

I have no memory of NXT being a Hulu show. How the hell did I watch it?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

forkboy84 posted:

Was this between NXT The Competition and NXT The Good Wrestling Show? Like when Johnny Curtis was being a big weirdo with Aksana and Maxine?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

forkboy84 posted:

Neither does that guy that said it, he just needed a fake argument that no one's ever made.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ganso Bomb posted:

Was this between NXT The Competition and NXT The Good Wrestling Show? Like when Johnny Curtis was being a big weirdo with Aksana and Maxine?

I don't remember Aksana much but I think it's the era of Big E Langston doing the 5 count gimmick & The Ascension before Rik Viktor was a member and & the Gold Rush Title tournament.

Apparently it was Hulu exclusive through 2012-2014. I must have :filez:'d it

In fairness, that was my favourite NXT. It was actually a developmental territory, they had a handful of main roster vets like Cesaro & Tyson Kidd to work with green guys and it was fun. Wasn't necessarily a great in-ring watch but it was an enjoyable 1 hour show with clearly defined characters and simple but well booked stories. And because it was developmental few people hung around to get as stale as Gargano has for example.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 3, 2021

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Ganso Bomb posted:

But you are literally describing NXT the good wrestling show as a period that isn't the good wrestling show.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Benne posted:

its rad because people like bill are going to continue wasting six plus hours of their lives every week on trash and spend six plus more hours each week defending it on social media lol

free labor promoting a company that actively hates them and knows they are idiots that will watch anything

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

No, I think that period was televised, the hulu period would be from 2012 when Rollins became champion to when Arrival aired as the first Network event. I fell off NXT when they brought in Steen, immediately did the compulsory Generico feud, and I realized it was basically becoming a reruns show playing back acts that were already great elsewhere doing the same matches they did there.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 3, 2021

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I can only assume that because NXT is dead that these are the people who are jumping ship

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...web2x&context=3

dear God no

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

I Before E posted:

No, I think that period was televised, the hulu period would be from 2012 when Rollins became champion to when Arrival aired as the first Network event. I fell off NXT when they brought in Steen, immediately did the compulsory Generico feud, and I realized it was basically becoming a reruns show playing back acts that were already great elsewhere doing the same matches they did there.

Yeah, the period where they were still chewing up FCW and not quite fully embracing eternity with Hunter's PWG and ROH reruns was the Hulu period. Because the good period was them running out the SyFy contract and then the international obligations and putting it directly on like youtube or something.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

forkboy84 posted:

I believe NXT was still on Hulu long into the Network era. Most people on here watched it on the Network but I definitely remember some people watching on Hulu and finding that weird.

Also I said Mike Kurtz doesn't tweet enough and what happens, he goes on a horny tweeting binge tonight.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 3, 2021

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I lost a great deal of interest in NXT when it went on TV because it meant there was a delay in episodes being uploaded to the network.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Lid posted:

I can only assume that because NXT is dead that these are the people who are jumping ship

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...web2x&context=3

dear God no

This is...a really loving bad diss lol.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Benne posted:

Everything after the second one is absolutely right. NXT just got worse and worse starting in 2018.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MJeff posted:

Everything is absolutely right. NXT just got worse and worse starting in 2012.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Really the writing should've been on the wall as soon as John Cena humiliated The Nexus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
NXT was always worse than The Cha$e

El Generico posted:

Really the writing should've been on the wall as soon as John Cena humiliated The Nexus

This really does stand head and shoulders as Cena's most Hogan moment, there was no reason for it, it was petty politicking, and to this day I don't think it's been really explained just what the gently caress got in his head to force that to happen.