Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Spazzle posted:

Yes, thank goodness there aren't hundreds of garbage tier fantasy books that are nothing more than transcribed tabletop campaigns.

lol, i suppose there probably are. fantasy novels ain't really my field of interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Spazzle posted:

Yes, thank goodness there aren't hundreds of garbage tier fantasy books that are nothing more than transcribed tabletop campaigns.

Loads of people think they're going to be the next Steven Erikson and forget about that he has a Master's from the Iowa Writers' Workshop.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Light Gun Man posted:

there were some books and stuff in japan in the 90s that were novelizations of tabletop game campaigns. some were a little successful, i think? not really seen a lot of info about it in english honestly.

but yea that kinda stuff is fun while you are doing it and there but probably would be garbo to anyone outside the game

Record of the Lodoss War was a pretty big deal anime and started as the novelization of a group's tsbletop game. They also tried to officially make it a licensed D&D product and sell official D&D books for the setting. TSR said no, so they made their own generic game instead which wound up way more popular in Japan than D&D ever was.
It's a lot like the whole thing where Blizzard asked if they could make a Warhammer game but Gamesworkshop laughed them out of the room, so Warcraft became a thing.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Weren't The Elder Scrolls taken from the game devs DnD campaign?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean despite this weird turn getting successful off a D&D campaign actually isn’t that unlikely. Depending on how you define sucessful.

Feels like a time when the thread is a bit divorces from reality

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Adventure Zone, one of the first d&d podcasts, has an animated series in the works and a bunch of graphic novels, each one a new york times bestseller

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Oh, lots of people have made it big from their adapting tabletop games. It just relies on them being clever, funny, good roleplayers, or otherwise entertaining, and then being competent at turning that into a format people will want to consume.

And a lot of people think they are these things, but they are not.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
perhaps the important bit is making a novel or whatever out of an interesting setting vs "bro we are so funny lmao"

edit: kinda beaten lol

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Record of Lodoss War became a pretty successful series too. Probably has more to do with the creators efforts and abilities than whatever structure the initial idea takes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Coolness Averted posted:

Record of the Lodoss War was a pretty big deal anime and started as the novelization of a group's tsbletop game. They also tried to officially make it a licensed D&D product and sell official D&D books for the setting. TSR said no, so they made their own generic game instead which wound up way more popular in Japan than D&D ever was.
It's a lot like the whole thing where Blizzard asked if they could make a Warhammer game but Gamesworkshop laughed them out of the room, so Warcraft became a thing.

The Warhammer thing is just a rumour, Blizzard is just as capable at ripling of Tolkien as anyone else

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Doing a podcast can be fun if you have no illusions of success and just want an excuse to shoot the poo poo and have someone maybe edit it into something listenable if you’re lucky.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Warhammer thing is just a rumour, Blizzard is just as capable at ripling of Tolkien as anyone else

No it's not, they specifically wanted to make a Warhammer game, but GW wouldn't give them the contract terms they wanted and Blizzard wanted to control the IP.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Dude. They're the exact same game. They even both have a spinoff series set in the future where there are hivemind aliens and space elves and the humans are all fascists in blue power armour

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I like HarmonQuest

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Coolness Averted posted:

Honestly I'd not be surprised if Slayers was based on a campaign that Hajime Kanzaka played during high school either

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Honestly I'd not be surprised if Slayers was based on a campaign that Hajime Kanzaka played during high school either

It was

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

:rip: empty rapsheet 2008-2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mx. posted:

It was

Well there ya go

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I remember reading that the original Final Fantasy guys also based it on their DnD game but that might be hearsay/conflation with Lodoss War.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Wouldn't be surprised. The game's full of Monster Manual type enemies like Ochu (Otyugh) and Mind Flayers.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

I remember reading that the original Final Fantasy guys also based it on their DnD game but that might be hearsay/conflation with Lodoss War.

Not so much based on a campaign, but more the fact that Akitoshi Kawazu was/is a super huge fan of Western RPGs in general. FF had influence from D&D, but was also super influenced by Wizardy and Ultima as well.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean despite this weird turn getting successful off a D&D campaign actually isn’t that unlikely. Depending on how you define sucessful.

Feels like a time when the thread is a bit divorces from reality

It really is super unlikely. Think about how many d&d campaigns there have been vs how many have been translated into commercial success since like 1985. Its what, like 100,000,000 to 50?
My group recently finished a game that had a good narrative, incredible character growth, and wonderful interactions between both players and characters that ran for three years and emotionally impacted us hard when it was done, and it would have been boring as hell to anyone not in the group if we published it in any way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

grittyreboot posted:

I hate this guy for making Logan Paul of all people the sympathetic guy in the video

I know. At the very least ask Logan Paul for a job before you quit your current one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is good and people who don’t click through deserve to see it.

https://twitter.com/joejaggi/status/1358989632898228225

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Not so much based on a campaign, but more the fact that Akitoshi Kawazu was/is a super huge fan of Western RPGs in general. FF had influence from D&D, but was also super influenced by Wizardy and Ultima as well.

Apparently a touch of American football as well.

Does get interesting how things translate over the cultural divide. White Mage types in JRPGs tend to sometimes have at least loosely religious trappings, but they're rarely the full on D&D Cleric types. (Fire Emblem being an exception) And of course, D&D has its own weird cases of rule patches, hack jobs and whims becoming codified as sacred cows that cannot be questioned.

On the animal shampoo thing; isn't horse hair pretty similar to human hair? Kinda why they call it 'hair' and not 'fur', though I imagine that may be an arbitrary distinction.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The dog shampoo guy got mocked for it because he's a terrible human being. If Tom Hanks made the same tweet it'd be held up as an example of how Tom Hanks is both a famous actor with way more money than 90% of the country and also super relatable.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Does get interesting how things translate over the cultural divide. White Mage types in JRPGs tend to sometimes have at least loosely religious trappings, but they're rarely the full on D&D Cleric types. (Fire Emblem being an exception) And of course, D&D has its own weird cases of rule patches, hack jobs and whims becoming codified as sacred cows that cannot be questioned.

On the animal shampoo thing; isn't horse hair pretty similar to human hair? Kinda why they call it 'hair' and not 'fur', though I imagine that may be an arbitrary distinction.

Yep. OG FF White Mage was very much the Cleric sort, before that party position started shifting to pure healer. Could equip Hammers, and the Dia line of spells are basically Turn Undead.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
my buddy Joe once said that Record of Lodoss War was what DnD thought it was, and Slayers was what it inevitably turned into

he probably didn't make that up but it's not wrong

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Skwirl posted:

The dog shampoo guy got mocked for it because he's a terrible human being. If Tom Hanks made the same tweet it'd be held up as an example of how Tom Hanks is both a famous actor with way more money than 90% of the country and also super relatable.

I see it slightly differently.

Dude was mocked because he doubled down. If I remember rightly he got lovely at people, and said that he didnt know it was dog shampoo, and there was no way to tell, and that it didn't make him any less of a clever observant pillar of society etc.

If he had gone, "Haha, yeah that was a stupid mistake I made. I can be such a dummy sometime, haha." like a normal person, then I agree it would have been charming and relatable. But because he HAD to be right, he made himself look like an arse, and was mocked for it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

My favorite part of the 'western RPGs and JRPGs' divide, especially early on, was that it showed a very clear difference in how the game was even played across the countries.

Pretty early on, western RPGs curved towards player choice both in open world design, progression, and in actual dialog choices, very much reflecting the fact that those developers approached it as a roleplaying and storytelling system first. There's clearly very familiar elements taken from world and dungeon design, but to them, tabletop games were intended to be 'explore the land and feel like you're part of the story'.

In Japan, though? JRPGs trended towards being more combat-heavy and story-light, with the plot more or less being an excuse to go visit a bunch of neat dungeons. That comes from the fact that a lot of the Japanese community that played DnD and then built on it saw it more as a dungeon crawler, essentially using the system to design big challenges, and the story just giving a semblance of context.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
fwiw and iirc, DIsco Elysium's setting was created and developed over a long series of DnD campaigns

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
To be fair, both of those are seen as completely valid approaches to playing RPGs (by sensible people anyway) as long as you're up front about what you're going for. Of course, most people go for the roleplay-centric version these days because if you want to do just dungeon crawling then turns out video games already pretty much give you plenty of that.

And then JRPGs became synonymous with strictly linear and totally overwrought stories about angsty teenagers killing God.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It's fun to do both.

I have a regular weekly game that I and a friend swap DM duties for and run the usual plot heavy RP stuff.

And I run a theoretically once a month-ish (It's usually more like 5-6 weeks) game which is explicitly an old skool dungeon bash, with minimal plot beyond the set-up where I have fun building classic funhouse dungeons for the players to fight, talk and macguyver their way through. They're always extremely popular as a fun palette cleanser.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Nerds on Social Media

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Memento posted:

Loads of people think they're going to be the next Steven Erikson and forget about that he has a Master's from the Iowa Writers' Workshop.

(also his writing is still absolute dogshit, the Malazan books are unreadable trash)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PurpleXVI posted:

(also his writing is still absolute dogshit, the Malazan books are unreadable trash)

I found entirely the opposite but I respect your opinion nonetheless.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No one agrees on what’s entertaining so that’s why this argument on what definitely works or doesn’t is kind of pointless

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

CharlestheHammer posted:

No one agrees on what’s entertaining

Well we all agree that it's not your posts lol

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

This is good and people who don’t click through deserve to see it.

https://twitter.com/joejaggi/status/1358989632898228225

Who's that Leafs player looming menacingly behind Mr Peanutbutter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

goblin week posted:

Well we all agree that it's not your posts lol

Since when is being entertaining a requirement to post on SA.

Cause that’s a bar most goons can’t get past