Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Haha right after complaining I got the artifacter with +1 to single use dice and remove single use items. I'll take that two 5 mana dice, 5 damage and heal, 3 damage+mana, 3 poison and heal 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I've literally never picked artificer because I never have any synergies when I see it and I feel like it's pretty bad by itself. Not sure if I'm wrong on that, but man artificer just really doesn't look good to me.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Cinara posted:

Get Warlock as one of your T3's and you'll easily delete any boss.

I'll bite, why Warlock?

Chronos gives you the invaluable Second Chance, Sorcerer gives cleave poison and cantrip mana gen, Weaver can be a mana machine and that three-top-and-bottom spell is awesome, Artificer with Memorize is obviously great. Warlock seems problematic since its big spell doesn't do enough damage to one-shot or even two-shot the big bosses, and its mana gen is based around Bloodlust when the last thing you'll typically want to do is leave a lot of damaged enemies alive.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

artificer is ridiculously powerful but only if you have, either the "replace blank squares with +mana" item so he's not dead in the water, or the one that lets you infinitely reuse single-use sides. if you lack either i can't imagine taking him.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

delfin posted:

I'll bite, why Warlock?

Chronos gives you the invaluable Second Chance, Sorcerer gives cleave poison and cantrip mana gen, Weaver can be a mana machine and that three-top-and-bottom spell is awesome, Artificer with Memorize is obviously great. Warlock seems problematic since its big spell doesn't do enough damage to one-shot or even two-shot the big bosses, and its mana gen is based around Bloodlust when the last thing you'll typically want to do is leave a lot of damaged enemies alive.

It's spell is like, the most mana efficient damage spell in the game that isn't AOE. Especially if you get one of the wizard hats that gives you more mana saving, it's a monster. Or the item that gives you the 4th spell for free.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Just failed an Unfair (Poison/Damage/Enemy HP) run on the Troll King. I feel like it would've been fine, but my Assassin neglected to roll a ranged side (50% chance!) 6 times in a row. If I had actually succeeded on both turns I might've been able to keep up with the onslaught of damage.

I know it's titled Unfair for a reason, but man, it really always feels like you're just one poor die roll away from death.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

delfin posted:

I'll bite, why Warlock?

Mostly it's damage-mana efficiency on single target, every other spell is more or less a 1:1 ratio but warlock's is over 2:1. Bloodlust is a bit dependent on which other classes you get, but you usually have an aoe you can cast to ping everything before using the die. So yea it has the weakest dice I agree, but since you're rocking 2 other casters they can make up the mana gen and let you blast out the expensive spell right away.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Whelp won my first hard mode. I thought artifacter with +1 to single use and unlimited single use was powerful... until I got the +2 to single use. Oh boy that is quite the upgrade. I was able to deal 4 board wide AOE the first turn every round for the rest of the game. That is enough to wipe out every small mob. That was more than enough to dunk on hard mode.

The true boss killer.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 2, 2021

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

goongratulations, that's quite a combo.

surprised people aren't as terrified of the poison curse as i am. feel like i tried it a handful of times & got absolutely washed, maybe there were other factors at play. :ghost:

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I went on a short road trip for labor day and didn't bring my switch because of slice and dice.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

So, what i'm hearing is, "Slice n Dice for switch when?"

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE
May 6, 2007

Kanga-Rat Murder Society
Android Gaming Megathread: gently caress You this is the Slice & Dice thread now

(and I'm here for it)

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE posted:

Android Gaming Megathread: gently caress You this is the Slice & Dice thread now

(and I'm here for it)

Heck yeah.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

My favorite combo was Ludus (1-6 basic attack) with a poison item and the +3 to basics. Being able to hit for 7/8 and do poison is hilarious.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Slice & Dice is going to get me fired

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

teethgrinder posted:

Slice & Dice is going to get me fired

Gift a copy to your boss. Can't fire you if they are too busy playing.

*modernproblems.jpg*

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I'm working on the custom-party-all-one-type achievement now. Adept was super easy mode (Sorcerer + Weaver = cleanup on aisle seven), Thief was pretty easy, Warrior took a little luck but was doable, Acolyte required lots of patience ramping up massive regen... but five Defenders is a bastard. The level 12 boss checks your ability to keep a tidy board (trimming the number of summons quickly), and Defender classes just don't have the innate firepower to do that. Rotten in particular is the perfect counter to a long, sustained fight (which Defenders normally want) when you have no Max HP+ skills.

Only way I can think of getting past that is getting a Growth and/or Poison item from even-numbered drops, and abusing that heavily.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
I did red and grey on easy with mana weaver, yellow and orange on easy with 75% enemy hp, and blue on unfair (-hp, +enemy hp, -1 reroll)

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Man I always think the +1 to all damage die but also give them heavy won't be that bad. When I try it out though it always make that hero near useless. Like you get a good first turn than it is golden. But if you miss that first turn or once you get to a big boss spawns a bunch of adds than you are toast.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Shwqa posted:

Man I always think the +1 to all damage die but also give them heavy won't be that bad. When I try it out though it always make that hero near useless. Like you get a good first turn than it is golden. But if you miss that first turn or once you get to a big boss spawns a bunch of adds than you are toast.

Heavy is a trap.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

CainFortea posted:

Heavy is a trap.

I thought I was being so smart adding to gladiator with a +2 bow with engage on the right side. Surely have two 2 damage engage die would make the +1 worth it. But then I missed every single first turn I tried it on. And then died horrible against a boss because I couldn't use that die to remove anything.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

got some chores tonight posted:

I did red and grey on easy with mana weaver, yellow and orange on easy with 75% enemy hp, and blue on unfair (-hp, +enemy hp, -1 reroll)

I tried grey with Mana Weaver and it was a bit easier -- 2 damage every other turn is helpful -- but I'm hitting the same level 12 wall. Lich this time, and the problem is that beating Lich depends heavily on being able to delete Bones very quickly, either through a 3-or-4 damage source or something like Trapper. Defenders don't really have that; you'll hit many turns when he'll summon 8 HP of enemies and you might be able to do 2 or 3 total along with damage mitigation.

Probably a matter of getting just the right upgrades. My last upgrade before Lich basically forced me to change Monk to Bouncer, who's not a great upgrade.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Shwqa posted:

It's definitely more situational that it would appear but there are some good uses for it. It works pretty well on AoE sides, Damage + Mana/Healing sides, things of that nature.

In particular, Witch can use it to upgrade her AoE weaken significantly, and it effectively doubles your Dancer's damage output.

Also might not be bad on venom because then it can just destroy a boss extremely quickly.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Arzaac posted:

It's definitely more situational that it would appear but there are some good uses for it. It works pretty well on AoE sides, Damage + Mana/Healing sides, things of that nature.

In particular, Witch can use it to upgrade her AoE weaken significantly, and it effectively doubles your Dancer's damage output.

Also might not be bad on venom because then it can just destroy a boss extremely quickly.

Hm I never take AoE sides. They are like all 1 damage. Maybe I'm underestimating them?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Well that's kind of the thing, AoE sides generally suck. But they're way, way better if you have literally anything that buffs them. If you give a +1 bonus to the Soldier, his 3 Attack turns into a 4 Attack. Which is fine, it might mean you can kill something in one less die. But If you give a +1 bonus to the Whirl, his cleave goes from dealing 3 damage on average to 6, which is a pretty huge increase.

I still probably wouldn't pick up the Whirl unless I already have something to buff him, but it's a consideration.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Adding cleave to shield sides is really good a lot too.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Added poison to some cantrips and it was awesome

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I'm having a run with medic that had change of heart and and plus 1 to shields. Medic 2 cleave heals became 3 cleave shield. It was huge to have that by basically battle 4.

One that I found to be extremely powerful is massive mana gain. With enough mana you can win any fight. I got a mender who has two 2 heal+mana. Gave them an item that gives bloodlust on any heal die. It was really easy to get 4 or 5 mana in a single die.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, mana is another thing that's great to add to. Mana's worth, at the bare minimum, 1 shield/damage, and depending on your build can have a whole range of useful and versatile effects. You frankly can never have enough.

Oh, a warning about change of heart. It adds any extra effects to the shield, which is great! It does not, however, add the additional basic effects; any form of heal + mana or heal + damage will simply turn into a basic shield side.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What's the difference between the Monk's block thing and a normal shield?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

explosivo posted:

What's the difference between the Monk's block thing and a normal shield?

The hand block will re-direct the attacks to the monk from whoever you use it on, and give the monk shields.

The weird grey symbol with the red oval will give the target shields, and do damage to anyone attacking that hero.

The shield with the horizontal lines gives shields and also cleanses the target.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

This was a great moment

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

That's frankly pretty incredible.

I'd also wholeheartedly recommend bonuses to the dancer's AoE Rampage Pain; it's pretty alright at 1 damage, but you get it up to 2 or 3 and you can wipe fields with little to no effort.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Arzaac posted:

That's frankly pretty incredible.

I'd also wholeheartedly recommend bonuses to the dancer's AoE Rampage Pain; it's pretty alright at 1 damage, but you get it up to 2 or 3 and you can wipe fields with little to no effort.

The demon eye which gives +2 to the left side but gives it pain is turning into one of my favorite earlier tier items. There are so many heroes that just become busted with that +2. Any poison, any AoE, any engage, any Rampage, and of course the instant kills.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

see I love aoe sides... except on like, boss fights (and even then if it's like, lich the summon spamming jerk) because they are extremely efficient. if you're doing more than 3 damage with one die, that's a huge power move, straight up -- and more than half the fights start with 3 or more enemies. pair with caldera's Scald spell, a move with bloodlust, someone with rampage to mop up, or someone with boost/the +damage thing, and baby you got a stew goin

whirl is almost always my mvp and there are very few situations where I don't take it

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

CainFortea posted:

The hand block will re-direct the attacks to the monk from whoever you use it on, and give the monk shields.

The weird grey symbol with the red oval will give the target shields, and do damage to anyone attacking that hero.

The shield with the horizontal lines gives shields and also cleanses the target.

I left the red oval revenge move untouched for a long time because I assumed, incorrectly, that the damage would be applied during the enemy turn after they attacked. No, it damages the enemy or enemies that *intend* to attack, and so you can use it offensively to eliminate incoming damage. Just in case anyone else was avoiding it for that reason.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Gadzuko posted:

I left the red oval revenge move untouched for a long time because I assumed, incorrectly, that the damage would be applied during the enemy turn after they attacked. No, it damages the enemy or enemies that *intend* to attack, and so you can use it offensively to eliminate incoming damage. Just in case anyone else was avoiding it for that reason.

Heavy use of Revenge was what finally let me limp through 5 Defenders.

Happy moment of the morning: Watching that (2 + mana) lightning strike move do 44 damage to the Dragon.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

after like 20 drat runs, managed to win my first run with kind of garbage, by the skin of my teeth. No broken combos, just a giant loving pile of single target damage and healing. Okay, the cleave heal from witch helped. What did NOT help was having nothing but single target damage meant that two of my guys went into the dragon fight under HP penalty because drat that was a ton of enemies in the next to last fight.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

New spot opening up in the goon shop titans guild! Drop your player ID if you'd like an invite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

leper khan posted:

Added poison to some cantrips and it was awesome

I think it was bard / adept with the mirror gloves, where I had 1/2 chance to get an additional reroll, and the adept was just full of cantrips. Would start each round with 6+ mana and a shittonne of shields. Was going really well, up until I was forced to upgrade one of them and it broke my team.