Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Steakandchips posted:

I mean, I loathe the Bandit 600, so I'm curious just how poo poo the 1200 is in comparison?

It's fine.

I owned the 1250 bandit for a while and it was a big comfortable couch that could make the earth spin in reverse if you bothered to use even a fraction of the throttle. Yet it did the typical Japanese thing of taking a formula that should be interesting (big fuckoff engine with infinite smooth torque) and made it polite, civilized, quiet, vibration-less and kinda dull because of it. It also had the typical Suzuki characteristic of having the shittiest build quality of the big 4; which is to say- perfectly functional and reliable but prone to tarnishing in ways a Honda or Yamaha wouldn't.

The one I had was cheap, reliable and the bike I owned for the longest time out of all my bikes so far with heaps of trouble free riding.

I also sold it to buy an Aprilia Shiver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Steakandchips posted:

I mean, I loathe the Bandit 600, so I'm curious just how poo poo the 1200 is in comparison?

The 1200 is great, the 600 is a naked katana (the bad katana at that). It only shares its name with the 1250. They’re different bikes

The 1200 also has a lot more character than the 600 and 1250 due to its engine origin. It’s a punched out GSXR-1100 oil cooled motor, which is, to this day, one of the best engines made.

And as mentioned it has mountains of torque. It’s a “120 on the on-ramp” sort of bike.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 1, 2021

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks guys, good to know!

Completely separately, look at this big boy 2000 'wing for just £4,850, having done 58,000 miles:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202108186388588

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

That's a nice sofa. Why do you post it in the bike thread though?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
(In response to Bandit 1200 stuff)

Steakandchips posted:

I too owned a Bandit 1250 and would steer you that way if you'd rather fuel injection versus the carbs of the 1200. Both bikes are as described and infinitely boring yet will always start and do the job with minimal maintenance. I too "graduated from a Bandit" and went to the KTM 1290 Super Duke GT.

Also, if you choose either and decide the absolute gobs of torque isn't enough and you don't mind waiting just short of forever for shipping, this guy/site is THE place to get your go fast parts for a Bandit:
http://www.holeshot.com/holeshot/home

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

Completely separately, look at this big boy 2000 'wing for just £4,850, having done 58,000 miles:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202108186388588

Sir that is clearly an RV

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

How close in size to a miata is that 'wing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You could probably slice a Miata in half the long way and be drat close

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Sir that is clearly an RV

Any motorcycle is an RV, eh?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
What is it with big bikes and those exact grips? Was down at my local dealer the other day and half the used wings and big Harleys had those aftermarket grips on.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Someone spotted an opportunity to add slightly more chrome and took it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have a natural aversion to unnecessarily chrome accessories because they always remind me of wandering down the farkle aisle of a walmart or canadian tire and seeing all the awful things they think people should be adding to their cars.

This is the aisle that's next to the shaggy steering wheel covers and unnecessarily sexist floor mats and mudflaps, one aisle down from the wall of overwhelmingly pungent air fresheners.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Those grips are often recommended as anti-fatigue by touring guys. I've seen them on anything, including BMWs. The proper ones have some kind of gel, but the knockoffs are just cheap pads

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
My Nighthawk had those grips when I got it and I can confirm they’re comfy and feel great on long rides.

I have switched to Oxfords since then and miss the chunky Kuryakyns when my hands get sore around mile 500.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Nitrox posted:

Those grips are often recommended as anti-fatigue by touring guys. I've seen them on anything, including BMWs. The proper ones have some kind of gel, but the knockoffs are just cheap pads

This, plus a lot of the riders of those bikes are old men with arthritic hands. Boomers loving love chrome = chromed fat grips

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

This, plus a lot of the riders of those bikes are old men with arthritic hands. Boomers loving love chrome = chromed fat grips

I've seen lots of people mention this and idgi. Maybe I have twisted up rat claws but I've always found fat grips really unpleasant, I don't see how making it harder to reach the levers or hold the bar is better for people with crap grip strength?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I work with adults with disabilities and this principle applies with their silverware. Google pics of those, same principle applies (I can’t get pics to host on the app right now or I wouldn’t be so rude).
It’s easier to grasp and manipulate, we’ve used them on dementia units amongst others.
Make whatever inferences about cruiser riders that you like.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

I've seen lots of people mention this and idgi. Maybe I have twisted up rat claws but I've always found fat grips really unpleasant, I don't see how making it harder to reach the levers or hold the bar is better for people with crap grip strength?

Fat grips are more comfortable than narrow ones if you're actually holding the bar, ie wrapping your fingers around it, because fat grips keeps your fingers less bent.

You know some people never really learn how to just rest their hand across the grips with uncurled fingers, it's for those people I guess.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Related to grips, as my dad used a gas helper when riding and recommended it I bought one when I got my first bike.

It's to the point that it feels real strange to not have one when riding. I have one on all my bikes and I bring a spare when I rent bikes.

That example image is not where I place it, I have it at the end of the grip.

I have the same deal with heated grips. All my bikes will have it.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 2, 2021

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I hate those cramp buster things. Binned mine after one ride. Felt unnatural.

I love fat grips and heated grips. Harley heated grips are fat and warm, just perfect.

Wonder if I’ll be able to mcguyver some heated Harley grips onto the LiveWire…

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Fat grips are more comfortable than narrow ones if you're actually holding the bar, ie wrapping your fingers around it, because fat grips keeps your fingers less bent.

You know some people never really learn how to just rest their hand across the grips with uncurled fingers, it's for those people I guess.

I had a think about it and realised I'm riding around covering the brake pretty much constantly. Thinking about it more I think I'm holding the bar mainly with my thumb and upper palm so my fingers are free to operate the levers. Probably terrible and bad idk.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I try not to cover the levers but that's pretty much how I ride too :shrug:

I used to grip the poo poo out of the bars until it started giving me wrist issues which prompted me to stop doing that.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I skipped 719 pages to say:

KTM 500 excf

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Supermoto*

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Covering the front brake seems like a requirement in town due to traffic and then when you get to the twisties, I cover the front brake for trail braking and until I can see that a turn exit is clear.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I cover the front brake all the time, seems like a good habit and at this point I'd have to think about it to not cover it. One of the coaches at a track day commented on it so maybe I'm not supposed to do it at the track, but you're not supposed to be death gripping the bars anyway so I don't see the downside.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Supradog posted:

Related to grips, as my dad used a gas helper when riding and recommended it I bought one when I got my first bike.

It's to the point that it feels real strange to not have one when riding. I have one on all my bikes and I bring a spare when I rent bikes.

That example image is not where I place it, I have it at the end of the grip.

I have the same deal with heated grips. All my bikes will have it.

I'll have to give this a try.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I rode dirt bikes a few times as a kid and have been getting progressively faster scooters over the last few years. I’m broke at the moment, so it’s all theoretical, but I am kind of ashamed to say that I think I really want a Harley Pan American for longer rides out of the city and doing some motorcycle camping and such.

I’d be yet another middle aged dude who barely took advantage of everything an ADV bike could do off road, but I’m 6’2” and that posture is comfortable for me.

Thinking of trying to pay all my debt down and picking up a cheap, used ADV bike to be sure I like it as much as I think I will. Also thinking of getting the same scooter I have now in a 300 when they come out some time next year (currently have a 150). I definitely need something a little beefier to get out of the Willamette Valley since everywhere I want to go requires making pretty big climbs. What I have is perfect for in the city, though.

My older brother has about 6 Harleys in his family (he and one of his daughters have at least 2 and his son has 1) and I’ve never been a biker type, so the fact I really like anything that company makes is a little weird to me.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Geekboy posted:

I rode dirt bikes a few times as a kid and have been getting progressively faster scooters over the last few years. I’m broke at the moment, so it’s all theoretical, but I am kind of ashamed to say that I think I really want a Harley Pan American for longer rides out of the city and doing some motorcycle camping and such.

I’d be yet another middle aged dude who barely took advantage of everything an ADV bike could do off road, but I’m 6’2” and that posture is comfortable for me.

Thinking of trying to pay all my debt down and picking up a cheap, used ADV bike to be sure I like it as much as I think I will. Also thinking of getting the same scooter I have now in a 300 when they come out some time next year (currently have a 150). I definitely need something a little beefier to get out of the Willamette Valley since everywhere I want to go requires making pretty big climbs. What I have is perfect for in the city, though.

My older brother has about 6 Harleys in his family (he and one of his daughters have at least 2 and his son has 1) and I’ve never been a biker type, so the fact I really like anything that company makes is a little weird to me.

DR650

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

So I guess what I’m hearing is I should nab a DR650.

Looks like there’s even a few for sale in the extended area and that they hold their value all right without being one of those “buy used for $100 less than new” situations.

None of this is happening until at least next summer, so I’ve got plenty of time to ponder. Unless we were to get a pay out that reflected the poo poo show we’ve all lived through since last March but lol at that happening.

Hard to argue with less than 1/3 the price …

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Geekboy posted:

Looks like there’s even a few for sale in the extended area and that they hold their value all right without being one of those “buy used for $100 less than new” situations.

None of this is happening until at least next summer, so I’ve got plenty of time to ponder. Unless we were to get a pay out that reflected the poo poo show we’ve all lived through since last March but lol at that happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58vB-5urcJI

And the rest of that series is mandatory watching if you're interested in DRs. Don't let his discussion of the suspension scare you, dude is a serious dirt rider and rides his bikes hard.

That video should really be in the OP of this thread.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 3, 2021

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

The redline is "maximum speed for sustained normal operation," not "engine explodes immediately at this point." Take your bike up there at least once every ride.

A good video about this which just came out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhOl9Uh_nyw

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Geekboy posted:

a dr650 is in no way an adv bike. it’s a great bike, but yeah. if you want a decent used adv bike I’d point you at a vstrom

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The important thing to take away from this is Suzuki Supremacy. DR if you want to do some dirt plus a good all around highway/commute/twisty bike. VSTROM if you want a comfy zero stress couch for big miles, that can also do the twisties and some fire road stuff (I guess).

Just get a DR and a parabellum rally screen and a comfy seat and live your best braap life.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I watched that video series while I was working on some stuff yesterday and yeah, I think a VSTROM or something similar is way closer to what I want. I can fix things, but I’m not a mechanic. I’ve changed a good number of starters in my life, but always years apart and it took me all day. The DR650 looks like an amazing bike, but I’ve got no interest in a project. I want to buy something, maybe change the oil and add a few quality of life accessories, and ride it to Mount Hood (but not necessarily all the way up it).

I also have no interest in dealing with a carburetor. I recognize that the motor on the DR650 is one I could theoretically fix anywhere in the world, but I’m not going to be riding through any uncharted deserts any time soon. I accept the carb on my scooter, but scooters are supposed to be a little lovely. That’s part of the appeal.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
a carb on a single is not that big a deal to maintain or tune, and smooth carb fueling is leagues better than fuel injection

this is coming from someone who loving hates carbs, by the way. don't shoot the DR650 down because it has a carb

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Geekboy posted:

I watched that video series while I was working on some stuff yesterday and yeah, I think a VSTROM or something similar is way closer to what I want. I can fix things, but I’m not a mechanic. I’ve changed a good number of starters in my life, but always years apart and it took me all day. The DR650 looks like an amazing bike, but I’ve got no interest in a project. I want to buy something, maybe change the oil and add a few quality of life accessories, and ride it to Mount Hood (but not necessarily all the way up it).

I also have no interest in dealing with a carburetor. I recognize that the motor on the DR650 is one I could theoretically fix anywhere in the world, but I’m not going to be riding through any uncharted deserts any time soon. I accept the carb on my scooter, but scooters are supposed to be a little lovely. That’s part of the appeal.

yep. get the vstrom. I think they're terribly boring, but it is a very good bike and sounds like it is what you want over what is basically a dirt bike (dr)

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Every other post in the questions thread is "carbs hosed, what do?".

If you like carbs, that's fine, but the idea of fussing with them continually is anathema to me.

All that being said, I might just buy a carbed dirt bike/dual sport anyway at some point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Both my bikes are carbureted and I have had essentially zero problems with them. I rebuilt the CL350 with entirely stock parts and settings and it runs perfectly fine, and the Hawk has just always worked.

If you've been loving with the jetting or exhaust or air filters then yeah you're on your own.