Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The first time I heard Under the Bridge on the local classic rock radio station was like a decade ago now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The 90's were ten years ago and will remain as such

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I liked RHCP in high school and I still do. So there.

Gaius Marius posted:

The 90's were ten years ago and will remain as such

This is the truth, though.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Also, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Red Hot Chili Pipers are different groups.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

I liked RHCP in high school and I still do. So there.

poo poo, back before they disappeared up their own rear end with Blood Sugar Sex Magic, they were a pretty fun punk band. But loving high and drunk all the time.

I saw them in Green Bay in '89 (I think). It was when they were touring for Mother's Milk and I'm pretty sure they were wasted. They came out wearing nothing but tube socks on their cocks. They did not stay on long. And I want to say a roadie came out on stage buck-naked windmilling his dick during a song.

Show didn't last long because someone called the cops on them.

EDIT: Yeah, it was '89

http://thechilisource.com/spin-february-1990/

Although the article claims the audience was stripping down wholesale as well, but I don't remember that. Probably one of those "grows with the telling" or some poo poo. I was more drunk than I thought.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 09:56 on Sep 3, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Proteus Jones posted:

poo poo, back before they disappeared up their own rear end with Blood Sugar Sex Magic, they were a pretty fun punk band. But loving high and drunk all the time.

I saw them in Green Bay in '89 (I think). It was when they were touring for Mother's Milk and I'm pretty sure they were wasted. They came out wearing nothing but tube socks on their cocks. They did not stay on long. And I want to say a roadie came out on stage buck-naked windmilling his dick during a song.

Show didn't last long because someone called the cops on them.

EDIT: Yeah, it was '89

http://thechilisource.com/spin-february-1990/

Although the article claims the audience was stripping down wholesale as well, but I don't remember that. Probably one of those "grows with the telling" or some poo poo. I was more drunk than I thought.

No you were definitely naked too. I saw a pic of your drunken dick on the cover of the Rolling Stone the following week

E: that's a pretty cool article actually, really sets the scene. I appreciate them at least making some comment on the racial bullshit going on, and being European I'd never really considered the sock thing to be something they would get hassled for

Failed Imagineer has a new favorite as of 11:32 on Sep 3, 2021

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Every movie he shows up in is enhanced by it. Especially the Big Lebowski

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
RHCP are great for guys like me who like karaoke but can’t sing.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I was really obsessed with the music video for Californication when it came out. I thought it was cool.

That's my only RHCP opinion.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gaius Marius posted:

We cannot possibly at the point we're calling the chili peppers old music

RHCP's first big #1 hit was Give It Away released exactly 30 years ago on Sept 4 1991. 30 years before that saw the release of songs like Crying by Roy Orbison, I Fall To Pieces by Patsy Cline and Runaway by Del Shannon. The Beach Boys and the Beatles had just formed (Pete Best was still drummer for the Beatles) but hadn't released any singles yet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1961

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

RoboRodent posted:

I was really obsessed with the music video for Californication when it came out. I thought it was cool.

Somebody should make that videogame in GTA or something, just to laugh at how much it would suck

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RoboRodent posted:

I think it was the track that made me realize "just because like 90% of my friends really like listening to something, and it going gangbusters on the charts, doesn't mean a song can't be objectively really really really boring."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I think it was the track that made me realize "just because like 90% of my friends really like listening to something, and it going gangbusters on the charts, doesn't mean a song can't be objectively really really really boring."

I feel like people only just figured out that Maroon 5 sucked in like 2019 when I've been proudly hating Adam Levine's horrible screech-like voice and dumb pouty face since 2003.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'll admit to liking RHCP's early stuff.

Now, all I can remember about them, is the time Flea wore pants made from teddy bears.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Gaius Marius posted:

We cannot possibly at the point we're calling the chili peppers old music

Heck, even back when they had their first big hit they were already kind of old. First album in 1984, Blood Sugar Sex Magik in 1991. 7 years, AKA the length of the Beatles' career.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah it's weird when you think of a band as belonging to a specific era and discover they formed way way earlier. The B-52's formed in 1976 and released Rock Lobster in 1978 but they didn't really hit the big time until they released Love Shack in '89

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah it's weird when you think of a band as belonging to a specific era and discover they formed way way earlier. The B-52's formed in 1976 and released Rock Lobster in 1978 but they didn't really hit the big time until they released Love Shack in '89

Quintessential 80s hard rockers Scorpions formed in 1964. The same year the Beatles went on Ed Sullivan.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

So the moral is, get in, do your thing, and get out.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Captain Hygiene posted:

So the moral is, get in, do your thing, and get out.

Or...wait 20 something years until the CIA writes you a hit song

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I feel like people only just figured out that Maroon 5 sucked in like 2019 when I've been proudly hating Adam Levine's horrible screech-like voice and dumb pouty face since 2003.

The hit dong whatever it was SUCKRD.

E: the voxalist sounds like things you hate to gear at a workshop. A whiny drill or something.

Ee: sorry I was typing one-handed in a bus. But I think everyone got the jizz of it.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Sep 3, 2021

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Quintessential 90s Britpop group Pulp was formed in 1978 and named after a film from 1972.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

3D Megadoodoo posted:

same. that song was when i tuned out on rhcp

i did get to meet the band way later though, like 2014ish? i used to volunteer for the artist village at roskilde festival, basically just check badges & bracelets at whatever checkpoint & i was assigned the private backstage area for rhcp. fwiw kiedis was a really nice guy, he took his time to meet everyone, and introduced his 8?-year old son to me.

flea just walked around shirtless with his bass unplugged, fingers running the whole time

later some short guy with a sixpence & sunglasses tried to sneak by me & i blocked him. seconds later, the peppers security guy came out and was like "youre doing a good job, but that was damon albarn" lol

(just show your fuckin badge)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FreudianSlippers posted:

Quintessential 90s Britpop group Pulp was formed in 1978 and named after a film from 1972.

disco 2000

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

circa 2010 I tried to get into a nightclub, that used to be owned in part by Damon Albarn, in Reykjavik with a friend by putting on the most unconvincing Cockney accent since Dick van Dyke and claiming to know Damon.

The doorman helpfully informed us that Damon hadn't owned the place since the 90s and wouldn't let us in.

So we went to the sleasy rock/goth bar the next street down where one of the doormen would always let us in ahead of the queue because we went to school with him (but never once talked with him during that time) and got shitfaced on overpriced absinthe.

I believe our exact words were "oi we're friends of Damon innit"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Ee: sorry I was typing one-handed in a bus. But I think everyone got the jizz of it.

At least everyone behind you on the bus did

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FreudianSlippers posted:

circa 2010 I tried to get into a nightclub, that used to be owned in part by Damon Albarn, in Reykjavik with a friend by putting on the most unconvincing Cockney accent since Dick van Dyke and claiming to know Damon.

The doorman helpfully informed us that Damon hadn't owned the place since the 90s and wouldn't let us in.

So we went to the sleasy rock/goth bar the next street down where one of the doormen would always let us in ahead of the queue because we went to school with him (but never once talked with him during that time) and got shitfaced on overpriced absinthe.

I believe our exact words were "oi we're friends of Damon innit"

lmao

i actually didnt understand the security guy at first cause of the way he pronounced albarn (i assume correctly). a short but very embarrasing intermezzo of "mate that was albarn" what? "damon albarn" who? "gently caress sake. da-mon al-barn" ohhhhh

danish radio hosts have used like 7 different pronunciations so i tend to go for owlbaairn

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Sep 3, 2021

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'll admit to liking RHCP's early stuff.

Now, all I can remember about them, is the time Flea wore pants made from teddy bears.

He definitely wore those in the film clip for Bust a Move by Young MC

From watching that video on Rage on a Saturday morning, to this day I expect when that song ends, Epic by Faith No More will start. I guess they were #2 and #1 on the charts for a while?

Also, I thought Young MC was like, MC Hammer's little brother or something. White Australian kids from the suburbs didn't really get exposed to hip hop culture and words in the early 90s.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Carthag Tuek posted:

lmao

i actually didnt understand the security guy at first cause of the way he pronounced albarn (i assume correctly). a short but very embarrasing intermezzo of "mate that was albarn" what? "damon albarn" who? "gently caress sake. da-mon al-barn" ohhhhh

danish radio hosts have used like 7 different pronunciations so i tend to go for owlbaairn

:stare: it's aal-baaun. wtf denmark

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

What was he building in there? :ohdear:

Memento posted:

This isn't quite on the level of "coldplay are a pantera side project" but it's getting there

Also, did you ever watch The Wire? Have you ever seen Fight Club or Shrek 2?

Like, I am super bad at music and always have been. I have seen the wire. I just...my brain sees the name and it feels like it slots in there for some reason.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I used to think I liked Tom Waits, but it turned out I actually liked Leonard Cohen.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Tom Waits music sucks and the only reason people say they like it (or genuinely like it I dunno) is because they tricked themselves into thinking it makes them smart.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Memento posted:

I remember listening to the radio on a roadtrip with my granddad in the early 90s and the oldies stations he listened to would play Elvis and Tony Bennett and Aretha Franklin and The Beach Boys.

Under the Bridge is the same age now as those were then.

One way the world has gotten better is not having to hear or think about Elvis very often anymore.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Tokelau All Star posted:

I used to think I liked Tom Waits, but it turned out I actually liked Leonard Cohen.

I don’t really like Santana except for that one song “Do It Again” which I learned far too late in life is actually by Steely Dan.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

:wrong: its more like ahl-baahn

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Tom Waits music sucks and the only reason people say they like it (or genuinely like it I dunno) is because they tricked themselves into thinking it makes them smart.

hello me from 10 years ago (ca. 1995)

literally everything sucks. just like what you like dude, who cares what other folks like

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that said, this is probably the best version of burma shave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4Hli4qKUBo

description says US 1984, but the bootleg i have says Sydney 1979 so who knows

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Just wait till you hear how the Swedes pronounce Anglo names.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Just wait till you hear how the Swedes pronounce Anglo names.

:stares at you in swedish: but doctor

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

:wrong: its more like ahl-baahn

Thats what I said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,