Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Lord Stimperor posted:

Quick question, I bought a very cheap Ibanez-branded guitar stand. It's coated in some sort of rubbery, soft plastic. I've read warnings that it will deteriote nitrocellulose lacquer. How do I know what kind of finish my guitar has? It's an Ibanez S470.

it definitely has a polyurethane finish. you're good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Huxley posted:

I love my guitars and love playing them every day, but IMO there is nothing you can do on a guitar that's as cool as Thundercat in this clip. Bass is just good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrR_gm6RqCo&t=342s

the people who make the exception to my rules about which basses are cool are:
1. thundercat
3. also thundercat but when it's slightly overcast so the natural lighting makes the picture of him look not as good

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Spanish Manlove posted:

Now that I'm older, slightly less or more stupid depending on who you ask, and a little bit better at bass than I was when I was a teenager, I actually think I could have a lot of fun being a bass player in a melodic skatepunk band or thrash metal band.

I'm the same, but also opposite. When I was a teen I was all about learning insane 16th note basslines from AFI (circa Art Of Drowning/All Hallows EP when they were still a punk band), Rancid and The Distillers (esp Sing Sing Death House, Ryan Sinn goes full ham on that whole album).
I really need to get back into that stuff, and bass in general. The past couple of years I reach for the bass to supplement guitars and not as an instrument in it's own right, though this could be cos I sold my bass amp so am limited to ampsims playing out the same speakers whatever I'd be playing along to/learning songs from and it's not the same.

I have a nice barely used Hartke 4x10 bass cab in storage at my parents', it's about 10 years old but I bought it new and sadly it's spent most of its life under a sheet. My brother blew up my bass head (through his cab lol) and I haven't replaced it cos no way I'd get away with a proper bass rig in my own house

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
any long time floyd players here? how do you guys handle the jiggle jiggle but still have a good amount of play on your trem? I've got three high tensions springs but it still just doesn't have that same feel where I can dig in with it

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Thanks for the advice about guitar finishes and the stand. I think despite the guitar being safe ill wrap some cloth around the stands feet because the stand is a bit hard still.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Gooch181 posted:

Thank you, these look promising and the price doesn't make me want to cry.

the four “good cheap headphones for music recording” are like

sony MDR-7506 (usually $100 but you can often find it for 89)
sennheiser HD 280 ($100)
those AKGs
ATH-M50s

the headphone thing sucks so bad because the vast majority of the people who are even talking about them online are audiophiles who seem like they’re on a shittier planet.

something struck me when i took my voice lesson. the lady wasn’t super technical. macbook, microphone, she just had her piano nearby, and it sounded good enough. but she was wearing 7506’s. and it struck me at that moment that cans make you look like a nerd — but not really 7506’s, just because they’re absolutely everywhere. they’re the SM58 of headphones.

landgrabber fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 3, 2021

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
So after picking up my guitar again for the first time in around 15 years, I'm surprised at how much of the stuff I remember is still there - at least a handful of chords, barre shapes, the pentatonic scale... but my muscle memory is totally shot so I'm just gonna try to approach this as though I'd never played at all before.

I'm sort of stuck for like... how to learn? Obviously "look up songs and learn them" works but I also want to actually learn about how to play the guitar and understand what I'm doing and not just how to copy stuff from Youtube. I saw Justin Guitar linked in the OP at one point but given that this thread is like a decade old I figured I'd check (before I start his course) if there were any other recommendations for learning materials, or is he still kind of the gold standard for online learning?

Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong and "understanding how music works" and "learning to mechanically play the guitar" are best treated as two separate subjects to study that will eventually meet in the middle? I'm probably overthinking this. :confused:

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I would say smoke a beefer and noodle in the pentatonic scale

Repeat the beefer every 30 min to an hour and give it at least a year.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Do this every day while watching lovely action movies on Amazon prime

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Surprise T Rex posted:

So after picking up my guitar again for the first time in around 15 years, I'm surprised at how much of the stuff I remember is still there - at least a handful of chords, barre shapes, the pentatonic scale... but my muscle memory is totally shot so I'm just gonna try to approach this as though I'd never played at all before.

I'm sort of stuck for like... how to learn? Obviously "look up songs and learn them" works but I also want to actually learn about how to play the guitar and understand what I'm doing and not just how to copy stuff from Youtube. I saw Justin Guitar linked in the OP at one point but given that this thread is like a decade old I figured I'd check (before I start his course) if there were any other recommendations for learning materials, or is he still kind of the gold standard for online learning?

Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong and "understanding how music works" and "learning to mechanically play the guitar" are best treated as two separate subjects to study that will eventually meet in the middle? I'm probably overthinking this. :confused:

it's definitely more of a brain thing where learning your intervals to start kind of kickstarts everything else

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Harton posted:

I'm doing lessons on Justin Guitar right now and this is what he advises.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Harton posted:

It’s hilarious how much I genuinely agree with this advice.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
What about lovely livestreams instead of amazon prime? cause that's what I'm doing atm.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Kilometers Davis posted:

It’s hilarious how much I genuinely agree with this advice.

yep i did it for like a 18 months straight and i've got my first lead guitar gig tomorrow. poo poo works

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

muike posted:

any long time floyd players here? how do you guys handle the jiggle jiggle but still have a good amount of play on your trem? I've got three high tensions springs but it still just doesn't have that same feel where I can dig in with it

Setup is ultra critical- the knife edges of the trem absolutely have to be set at a perfect 90 degrees to your posts or you will have trouble reliably returning to zero when you move the trem, and it makes the tension very uneven up vs down.

You definitely have to develop your right hand muting a bit to keep from shoving it sharp, but generally I've never had issues with pitch or fluttering or anything like that. I've always liked moderate to lower tension if I can get away with it too- I want the bar to be super responsive, that's why I have the floyd. You do just have to accept that compound bends and bends where you're bending one string while another is unbent are way more difficult if not impossible.

All that said, I am a die hard Ibanez edge fan- other floyds are hot trash by comparison. Even real deal floyds (not licensed) just are not as high performance as a properly set up Edge or lo-pro Edge.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Gramps posted:

Setup is ultra critical- the knife edges of the trem absolutely have to be set at a perfect 90 degrees to your posts or you will have trouble reliably returning to zero when you move the trem, and it makes the tension very uneven up vs down.

I wonder if this is the issue I’m having on my music man floating trem. It’s not a Floyd but that’s a pretty accurate description of the problem. It’ll return to zero from pushing down on the trem but ends up a bit sharp when returning from being pulled up.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

I wonder if this is the issue I’m having on my music man floating trem. It’s not a Floyd but that’s a pretty accurate description of the problem. It’ll return to zero from pushing down on the trem but ends up a bit sharp when returning from being pulled up.

Yep! Floyd setup is a very very finicky process. Basically you're gonna retune your guitar 100000 times unless you have a block that is exactly the perfect shape and thickness to block your trem in the ideal position. All trems but especially floating ones need to be perpendicular to the posts. You can usually use the top of the guitar as a guide, but not always.

These are pricey, but if you have em you can set up a completely disassembled floyd in like 10 minutes. All you do us shove the block in, tune the guitar and then tighten the springs slowly until the block falls out. It's awesome.
https://www.amazon.com/Floyd-Rose-Floating-Tremolo-Blocks/dp/B075XDB1D8

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Guitar Moves with Matt Sweeney on YouTube is the only education you need imho

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

former glory posted:

Guitar Moves with Matt Sweeney on YouTube is the only education you need imho

the ones with Homme and Dean Ween are the best cause they're all very obviously super high. What a life. Booger sugar and rockin. Must be nice.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

So I'm dabbling with some modulation in the Katana and I'm realizing I'm kinda boned. I use a looper to lay down some tracks, and I was trying to do a multi track, but the modulation comes after the looper. is there a clever way to get the katana to play the modulated track or is the answer "buy a phase 90 and put it before the looper"

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Does anyone have any idea why the notes up high (like past 15 and higher) have really poor sustain and don't ring well on my Jackson? Especially hammer ons, they sound very weak.(Real world example, there's a death song with a 15-17-19 hammer on lick and it just sounds very ballless on this guitar). This is both acoustically as well as plugged in. Acoustically I can clearly hear my hammer ons high up ring out on my other guitars, but it's barely audible on my Jackson. So it's likely not a technique issue. I've messed with the string action and that doesn't really do anything. I also did a string change recently, same brand of strings though, I just went slightly heavier on the gauge. Same issue though. I don't hear any buzzing that I'm aware of with it. Does anyone have any ideas? It's a Jackson Dinky with a Floyd. I set it up like I do my other guitars with floyds. This would be my favorite guitar if not for this issue, and I'm tempted to set my Solar up as my main guitar if I can't figure this out.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

TheTrend posted:

So I'm dabbling with some modulation in the Katana and I'm realizing I'm kinda boned. I use a looper to lay down some tracks, and I was trying to do a multi track, but the modulation comes after the looper. is there a clever way to get the katana to play the modulated track or is the answer "buy a phase 90 and put it before the looper"

Put looper into amp fx loop

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9V6Zua7LfY Here's an example with my Solar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdkJTYIy1yk And with my Jackson. Both are in D Standard with .10-.48 Ernie Balls.

I wonder if the frets weren't crowned very well from the factory.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 4, 2021

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

beer gas canister posted:

Put looper into amp fx loop

I don't think the 50w has an FX loop :(

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

TheTrend posted:

It's super vague, but I think you can select to place the effects loop post amp

I checked in the manual to see what the settings did and this old manual says:

But the current manual has this schematic

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

TheTrend posted:

oh then you're hosed

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

oh then you're hosed

its cool. I wanted a phase 90 anyway.....

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

beer gas canister posted:

yep i did it for like a 18 months straight and i've got my first lead guitar gig tomorrow. poo poo works

Hope it goes great, congrats :cheers:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

TheTrend posted:

It doesn't. I was watching the Guitar Geek talking Katanas just last night.

Gramps posted:

the ones with Homme and Dean Ween are the best cause they're all very obviously super high. What a life. Booger sugar and rockin. Must be nice.

I love Dean Ween's guitar advice about wearing your guitar either above your dick or below your dick. He was considering teaching once, but realised that he could cover that in about ten minutes then run out of anything to teach.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Gramps posted:

Yeah, those are great. I also really liked the one with St. Vincent, which was taken down for some reason. In case anyone missed it off the GM playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vRPmJx8bYs

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i was wondering why all the spec sheets for the guitar i have say it has an ebony fretboard whereas the one i have clearly has a rosewood one, but apparently mine was the literal last one made before they switched to ebony. drat

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

honestly one of the reasons i never got anything loving written until recently is that i would always try to listen to a podcast or something while i tried to write songs. it was hard to fully focus in on what i was doing. also adderall helps.

but i bet podcasts/stupid movies/youtube take the edge off doing poo poo like drilling scales or learning lead parts, the poo poo where you know what you need to do but your fingers just won't move correctly

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

side note: what's a good way to get better at pull offs? i gotta learn em for The Midwest Sound. or do i just do em and don't stop doin em

and how do people palm mute so fast? am i missing something? do they just down stroke really fast and i'm wimpy, or is there a way to palm mute "up"?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

landgrabber posted:

side note: what's a good way to get better at pull offs? i gotta learn em for The Midwest Sound. or do i just do em and don't stop doin em

and how do people palm mute so fast? am i missing something? do they just down stroke really fast and i'm wimpy, or is there a way to palm mute "up"?

Yes, you can alternate pick while palm muting. It takes practice and a little bit of anger to get right.

Also doing a lot of pull offs, just do legato runs a lot. Do 3 note patterns on the same string going down. so like 320 532 753 etc for a minor scale

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

landgrabber posted:

Your palm mute picking shouldn’t be all that different from your normal picking technique. Make sure it’s a pretty natural switch from muted to unmuted.

And yeah as mentioned do tons of pull offs. It’s a very mechanically straightforward technique it just takes a long while to get the muscle memory locked in. Make sure you’re not using too much tension/effort. Economy of movement is a big plus to legato playing.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Surprise T Rex posted:

You and I are exactly in the same spot, it's roughly 2007 or 2008 when I put the guitar(s) in the case. Unearthing that muscle memory is definitely something to behold. Things work real bad and slow and then suddenly your hand starts playing, well, *something* by itself.

I'm practicing scales, chords, arpeggios right now and noodling along to backing tracks on YouTube. But the choice is so overwhelming! Please let me know if you find a real good one. I wouldn't mind paying for effective learning materials, either. Both for playing and songwriting.

By the way, my timing is so hosed that when I recorded myself for the first time I thought I was having audio driver problems lol.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

We should start a midlife crisis returning to the guitar crew.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

This time around we'll be impressing all the ladies, for sure

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

landgrabber posted:

The fastest of the fast can do downstroked 1/8th notes at around 230bpm which is real fuckin fast. Palm muted downstrokes are actually easier than not palm muted downstrokes. It's definitely a skill that has to be trained. Trying to get Master of Puppets up to speed is what an awful lot of people do to get there because it's a goddamn masterclass.

And yes, you can alternate pick palm muting too, and you have to if the song is too fast. Generally all downstrokes sounds tougher, but if you're playing real fast music you're gonna hit the downstroke speed limit really quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Gramps posted:

Trying to get Master of Puppets up to speed is what an awful lot of people do to get there because it's a goddamn masterclass.

Hello, my high school years.