Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Sakurazuka posted:

Make sure you're using slowdown on the rotating stuff

It's entirely possible to do the levels in a different order and not have slowdown at that point, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Barudak posted:

Laffo it absolutely was the bus. I have no idea how you miss that and I never thought to check that slide ever again.

I'd somehow missed the bus figment too, even though I was being extra careful to grab stuff there. So strange.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It's entirely possible to do the levels in a different order and not have slowdown at that point, however.

Oh, huh, forgot about that, yeah I can see that stage being pretty brutal if you don't have it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ErrEff posted:

I'd somehow missed the bus figment too, even though I was being extra careful to grab stuff there. So strange.

Then I think the theory that it doesn't spawn until a return visit might have some real credence, which would be unbelievably rude if true.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Just completed this. What a great successor to the original. Loved it.

Thought it was weird that Raz's grandfather was named Lazarus. I thought that was heavy-handed foreshadowing, but it was nothing

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

Just completed this. What a great successor to the original. Loved it.

Thought it was weird that Raz's grandfather was named Lazarus. I thought that was heavy-handed foreshadowing, but it was nothing

I just thought it was just another person who famously escaped death like Rasputin

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CoolCab posted:

it's literally titled "nona's cry for help". you see, directly, that her reflection is of lucy. i don't understand where your interpretation comes from at all.

I can't give him too much grief for misinterpreting the game's plot points when for most of Gristol's mind I actually thought that Nick Johnsmith just had fake memories implanted of having been the heir of the gzar of Grulovia. This despite the fact that the level starts by spelling out that Gristol built this fake room in his mind that was all about pretending really hard to be Truman. Maybe for my benefit they needed a special room spelling out that Nick Johnsmith was a fake identity, like a mailroom area or something.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Nuebot posted:

So I just got to Compton's mind and it feels like a weird ramp up in difficulty just because of how many obstacles feel nearly unavoidable, or entirely unclearly telegraphed as to how much damage they do? Like there's heat pads on the floor, but they hurt you through levitation. There's a rotating platform - but it does absurd amounts of damage on top of being tricky to navigate. I get what they were going for with its design, but geeze this just feels kind of unpleasent to deal with as a gameplay stage.

I honestly just used Levitate for the rotating platform. As long as I was rolling at a decent speed, I could jump onto it once and immediately jump off and land on the other side. There were occasional booboos with landing on the blades but it mostly turned out alright.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I can't remember, is there any nearby way to bypass the spinning blades at the blender station? I know that the area has rails that run basically the whole length of the level, so you can bypass them that way too.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Sakurazuka posted:

Make sure you're using slowdown on the rotating stuff, I was all 'eh I can get through this without bothering' then got constantly owned lol
The heat pads are annoying but they don't do a ton of damage I just jumped a lot and hoped for the best.

Ah poo poo, it didn't click for me that you can get slowdown before Compton, would have been nice.

Still salty I went one second over the limit for the last meal. What's in that box?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

Ah poo poo you can get slowdown before Compton, would have been nice.

Still salty I went one second over the limit for the last meal. What's in that box?

Its a baggage tag you need. Apparently even if you fail those challenges its still there open for you when you go back

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

FireWorksWell posted:

Ah poo poo, it didn't click for me that you can get slowdown before Compton, would have been nice.

Just a box tag, and apparently it's buggged so you can't get it until postgame anyway, and then it's open for everyone.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

King Vidiot posted:

I can't give him too much grief for misinterpreting the game's plot points when for most of Gristol's mind I actually thought that Nick Johnsmith just had fake memories implanted of having been the heir of the gzar of Grulovia. This despite the fact that the level starts by spelling out that Gristol built this fake room in his mind that was all about pretending really hard to be Truman. Maybe for my benefit they needed a special room spelling out that Nick Johnsmith was a fake identity, like a mailroom area or something.

I thought the same initially, but that one's a little more obvious because It looks that way with how Otto room's set up, but the curtain being pulled back makes it clear that that's the real mind and he's just completely self-deluded with his schemes. It's also actually spelled out on the ride with the bit about him infiltrating the Motherlobe.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, it's absolutely Lucy prompting/pushing Raz, because she wants to be fully herself again, but Ford's conditioning takes hold again soon after and Nona has no idea why she is suddenly wearing these clothes and has this wig/fake beard on. Endgame level: Maligula doesn't get involved/free until her dam is weakened by Ford and Raz working to restore Lucy's mind, knowing that it will shake Maligula free too but that they can then work together to jam her deep back down into the primitive part of Lucy's mind that she came from - Gristol interfering, as was always his plan, means Ford is overpowered and Maligula temporarily is back in charge until Raz gets help from Nona/Lucy to finally overcome her.

Ahh, true. :hmmyes:

Broken Cog posted:

Just a box tag, and apparently it's bugged so you can't get it until postgame anyway, and then it's open for everyone.

I did it on PC (The GamePass version specifically) and got it first-try :shrug:. Didn't even have the slow-mo power :smuggo:.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Broken Cog posted:

Just a box tag, and apparently it's buggged so you can't get it until postgame anyway, and then it's open for everyone.

Aw man, they won't let me redo the the whole thing?

I'd take a whole game based around that level.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

FireWorksWell posted:

I'd take a whole game based around that level.

It's funny cause that level's origins was a prototype from Double Fine's 2017 game jam. They folded the idea into P2 and the guy who came up with it (who's also one of the 2PP crew) became a designer on the game.

It's actually one of my least favorites in the game I think, and I didn't enjoy the 2017 prototype that much either. But I don't do well with timers in general even if this one didn't matter much.

edit: Here's the story for the curious, apparently this was the last level designed for the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntJ_hs7ckBQ

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 4, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I did it on PC (The GamePass version specifically) and got it first-try :shrug:. Didn't even have the slow-mo power :smuggo:.

Oh beating the time limit is absolutely manageable, but you don't get the opportunity to claim your "prize" before the level is over, and apparently the box is locked if you go back in before postgame.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Broken Cog posted:

Oh beating the time limit is absolutely manageable, but you don't get the opportunity to claim your "prize" before the level is over, and apparently the box is locked if you go back in before postgame.

Ahh, I getcha.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you beat the final prize in Compton's level you can immediately go back and get the tag, otherwise you wait until the post game to get it, not that there is any indication this will be how it works. Either way you can't get it on your first time through the level.

I really really loved that level but while playing it was like "some people are gonna hate this thing"

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I fully treated it like 1-player Overcooked, I had a roadmap in my head of what needs to go where at what time and what timers I can leave hanging while I go finish other tasks. :allears:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

thecluckmeme posted:

I fully treated it like 1-player Overcooked, I had a roadmap in my head of what needs to go where at what time and what timers I can leave hanging while I go finish other tasks. :allears:

I went from having a minute and half+ of extra time to finish the final challenge to finishing with sub 5 seconds left because I forgot to turn on the blender, and yeah, Overcooked is immediately what came to my mind in that mad scramble of getting furious at a blender.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Broken Cog posted:

this must be a bug for only some players, after I beat the challenge and completed the level I immediately went back in via Collective Unconscious and picked it up afterwards.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Barudak posted:

If you beat the final prize in Compton's level you can immediately go back and get the tag, otherwise you wait until the post game to get it, not that there is any indication this will be how it works. Either way you can't get it on your first time through the level.

I really really loved that level but while playing it was like "some people are gonna hate this thing"

Evil Kit posted:

this must be a bug for only some players, after I beat the challenge and completed the level I immediately went back in via Collective Unconscious and picked it up afterwards.

Just something I heard, I didn't bother going back in until much later, so I never experienced it myself. My bad.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

I think the box is only locked until the post game if you fail the challenge. If you win it despawns the box and you can just go get the baggage tag as intended on a revist.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
It will also glitch sometime and remain locked till post game even if you won the last challenge like it did for me

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Just beat this game and it's genuinely impressive how much it's exactly what I wanted it to be. It plays well, looks great, and delivers on all the loose ends left in part 1. You can really tell the writers have wanted to tell this story for years.

Also making Gir's voice actor Raz's weird paper minion was an absolutely inspired decision. Holy crap you have no idea how much that made my day.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I am very impressed that Double Fine managed to make a sequel that is almost certainly better than the original Psychonauts. I don't know if it was quite as funny, but it was still very funny. And I found the dramatic parts much more satisfying. I think they really did some interesting things exploring the interaction between internal and external narratives. Things happen in the real world that change the stories characters tell themselves about themselves. That internal narrative then effects their actions and creates issues in the real world. It's thoughtful enough that I'll probably be reflecting on it for a bit.

I think the idea of Psychonauts is a platformer where every level is explicitly and diegetically a metaphor. It's such a great idea and I love that Double Fine was able to do it justice twice.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

How do you get the "unlimited power" achievement? I'm max level and have gotten everything from the store, it's the only achievement I don't have so it's bugging me. Is there some upgrade somewhere I missed?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Taffer posted:

How do you get the "unlimited power" achievement? I'm max level and have gotten everything from the store, it's the only achievement I don't have so it's bugging me. Is there some upgrade somewhere I missed?

Did you unlock the last ability upgrade for clairvoyance?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Taffer posted:

Guessing you might need to buy the last upgrade for Clairvoyance?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm an idiot, didn't see that there was one upgrade for melee that I hadn't bought yet :ughh:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
OH MY GOD! The dialog you get when you go back to Sasha's lab after the credits is legit the best dialog/lore drop in the game. The kid in question is Bobby right? I can't think of any other it could be.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 4, 2021

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

readingatwork posted:

OH MY GOD! The dialog you get when you go back to Sasha's lab after the credits is legit the best dialog/lore drop in the game. The kid in question is Bobby right? I can't think of any other it could be.

That seems to be the big theory but I choose to believe it's Linda

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Just finished the game, loved it, and am super hungry for more, but I was left wondering something with Otto. With so much of the game being about going into the founders minds and helping them deal with trauma from the Maligula incident, how is Otto "fine"? Before I reached the end, I was guessing there would be a level in his brain because usually people who appear completely fine and functional after massive trauma are actually super broken internally and just don't show it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Just finished the game, loved it, and am super hungry for more, but I was left wondering something with Otto. With so much of the game being about going into the founders minds and helping them deal with trauma from the Maligula incident, how is Otto "fine"? Before I reached the end, I was guessing there would be a level in his brain because usually people who appear completely fine and functional after massive trauma are actually super broken internally and just don't show it.

He's probably just

One of many psychopaths who get along fine in society but are, nonetheless, a bit unbothered by stuff like what you describe.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Something I was curious about, and it doesn't really matter one way or the other since both options work: but I was curious if when Bob was fired it was by actual Truman or Gristol pretending to be Truman? I assume it was the former, since Bob was in no state to be an active Psychonaut.

Twibbit posted:

It will also glitch sometime and remain locked till post game even if you won the last challenge like it did for me

Yeah, I successfully completed the finale recipe within the timelimit and it unlocked and opened during the cutscene, but when I went back via the Collective Unconscious to pick it up it was locked up again and I had to wait till post-game to get it.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 5, 2021

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Something I was curious about, and it doesn't really matter one way or the other since both options work: but I was curious if when Bob was fired it was by actual Truman or Gristol pretending to be Truman? I assume it was the former, since Bob was in no state to be an active Psychonaut.

Yeah, I successfully completed the finale recipe within the timelimit and it unlocked and opened during the cutscene, but when I went back via the Collective Unconscious to pick it up it was locked up again and I had to wait till post-game to get it.

He was fired by actual Truman. Gristol's only been Truman since Rhombus of Ruin, so this is the first time he's actually been back to the Motherlobe.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
truman is also crying in bob's probably-closer-to-accurate memory vault memory too. that happened years ago when bob kept turning up to work drunk and although bob clearly is EXTREMELY resentful of truman there are hints here and there that it wasn't an easy thing to do to his brother.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I love the flea circus :kimchi:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HMS Beagle posted:

He was fired by actual Truman. Gristol's only been Truman since Rhombus of Ruin, so this is the first time he's actually been back to the Motherlobe.

CoolCab posted:

truman is also crying in bob's probably-closer-to-accurate memory vault memory too. that happened years ago when bob kept turning up to work drunk and although bob clearly is EXTREMELY resentful of truman there are hints here and there that it wasn't an easy thing to do to his brother.

That all makes sense and was definitely what I thought was the most likely, and HMS Beagle's clarification makes it pretty explicit there is no room for debate. Thanks!

I do love the way the memories talk to Raz to showcase Bob's meaner, more resentful thoughts about them though: Truman: I like firing people because it makes me feel like a big man! :allears:

ZeeBoi posted:

I dig that when you go back post-game Raz commiserates with how rough it must be for a family circus to go out of business, even if they were fleas.... and also imaginary!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

As soon as it started up I was like well, they did it, they brought it back. Thankfully it was just a nice nod to the original, and probably put in the game to give everybody a panic attack when they heard that music.