Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

HiHo ChiRho posted:

This poo poo is insane

150 an hour not counting the 1k non-taxable stipend a week

This is 60 hours a week and would be a BRUTAL gig.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Some middle aged woman decided to have a super aggressive in-my-face conversation about what Sheetz stocks in the checkout aisle despite me completely ignoring her. Lol cool.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Thoguh posted:

I am extremely jealous of your family situation. My parents are NPR libs and my wife's parents mainline TV news so they are all vaxxed but are also full open Biden and won't even consider a booster or isolating until the authorities tell them to because why would they, COVID is over.

My dad's a Reagan republican ("left it blank" in 2016, voted Biden 2020) and my stepmother is a lib that works for the "foundation" that's responsible for the vaccine microchips
He also has bad asthma so any respiratory sickness scares the piss out of him
They were hoarding n95s in January 2020 and he wouldn't go into a store without rubber gloves and a face shield over his mask

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

You have to do this anyways. The relatively low amount of herd immunity to Pertussis means that you should tightly control access to a newborn until they've finished their TDAP cycle at 6 months.

I get this is the recommendation and definitely what we did with our children, but it seems like with asymptomatically infectious COVID that kind of prevention is no longer really possible. At the very least the isolation requirements go way up, basically the parents need to isolate as well.

Guessing the real answer is serious newborn cases will be rare enough that it will just be thrown on the pile of terrible things happening in our society that we apparently can't do anything about. Although maybe a third trimester COVID booster could ensure the kid is born with at least a little antibody protection.

edit PostNouveau made the same point wrt infants receiving some of the mother's antibodies, would be good if that works out.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 4, 2021

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Nocturtle posted:

In the grocery store this morning there was a pre-recorded announcement saying unvaccinated people need to continue wearing masks and social distance, with the implication being vaccinated people were fine. Presumably they rushed to record it the second the CDC recommended that back in May, and for some reason have not been so eager to update it to reflect the current guidance. Maybe 50% of grocery workers masked.

The CDC did so much damage with their summer shenanigans.

Edit:

Once again I'm making the mistake of considering masks to be anything other than a superficial bandage over the critical lack of more effective NPIs. However if the CDC really did issue that guidance to derail incoming OSHA regs them the point stands.
lol you're reminding me of back in May when I was in the grocery store and the pre-recorded announcement was so hyped that you didn't have to wear masks if you're vaxxed. God drat the CDC and the Biden white house

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Its Crack Ping-u

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Epic High Five posted:

Zoro is still delivering and not canceling orders that aren't to businesses right?

I just bought some mask stuff from then the other day and they for sure took my money and shipped a package so I’m pretty sure they’re still doin it

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Add a +1 to the vaxxmaxxed, that's a third shot of the Pfizer goo into my arm.

Despite everything going on, there's still this little traitor twinge of guilt in my heart that feels bad for not "following the rules". gently caress.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

mdemone posted:

so this CDC paper is going around....

THE REASON 0.7% AND 1.8% ARE NOT STATISTICALLY SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT IS BECAUSE THE 1.8% RATE IS BASED ON THREE (3) CASES

POISSON ERROR MOTHERFUCKER DO YOU SPEAK IT

I'm going to loving scream my head off
lmao god drat the CDC

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Hungry posted:

Despite everything going on, there's still this little traitor twinge of guilt in my heart that feels bad for not "following the rules". gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGjSq4HqP9Y

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lmao would buy that shirt in a second

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Nocturtle posted:

edit PostNouveau made the same point wrt infants receiving some of the mother's antibodies, would be good if that works out.

Supposedly they pass through breast milk too although the effectiveness of that is up for debate I think
My wife had her first 2 shots in the second trimester so who knows what level of immunity our little one has, if any at all. I'll continue to wear my n95 anywhere beyond family gatherings where I can control the level of risk

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Deceptive Thinker posted:

My dad who is coming to visit my newborn in 2 weeks just texted me "all up to date on Tdap combo and we just got our third covid shots"
I guess he and my stepmom just walked into CVS at the end of the day and were like "we're immunocompromised, juice us up"

In case anyone was still hesitant about getting a booster under false pretenses
gently caress yeah

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
for those with kids under 11 go ahead and get flu shots now I remember a study showing it helps mitigate the chances of covid hospitalization due to just ramping up the immune system in general, might be a good stopgap measure over the next 2-3 months

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Hungry posted:

That goes away in less time than the actual effects of the shot, just go read how many doses get tossed out one or two more times and then browse hermancainawards and you guilt will melt away

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Thoguh posted:

I am extremely jealous of your family situation. My parents are NPR libs and my wife's parents mainline TV news so they are all vaxxed but are also full open Biden and won't even consider a booster or isolating until the authorities tell them to because why would they, COVID is over.
lol :same:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Finally got my 3M 7503 in, it fits my big stupid face SO much better.

Question for the hive: what's the exhale filter for these things called? I can't seem to find anything via Google but I swear I saw some mentioned here.

Thanks COVID thread!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I legit think my parents are disappointed in me for getting a 3rd dose and I didn't tell my siblings. I think their disappointment is more in an exhausted desperate way because on some level they understand the world is dying but they also feel that the ritual of following some kind of social norm is important for staying sane.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

mdemone posted:

so this CDC paper is going around....

THE REASON 0.7% AND 1.8% ARE NOT STATISTICALLY SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT IS BECAUSE THE 1.8% RATE IS BASED ON THREE (3) CASES

POISSON ERROR MOTHERFUCKER DO YOU SPEAK IT

I'm going to loving scream my head off

Are they using a time period of a year and 3 month verse a single month as a base of comparison?

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Nocturtle posted:

One thing about our new endemic COVID world, what are parents who care about their newborns supposed to do? AFAIK pediatric vaccines aren't even being developed for <6mo children, meanwhile literally anyone could be walking around with a potentially serious viral infection asymptomatically. Do parents just try to super isolate the first six months? Otherwise just hope the infection doesn't affect their child too badly?

Guess it's the same basic situation the immunocompromised are in, but right now it seems like every single newborn going forward is going to get COVID without any kind of vaccine protection and there's nothing anyone can or will do about it. At least with measels herd immunity mostly exists.

Good thing parental leave benefits are top notch in the USA!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
only trust your respirator indeed

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

NeonPunk posted:

Are they using a time period of a year and 3 month verse a single month as a base of comparison?

yes, lol

the "during Delta" data set comprises 164 total cases. those percentage rates are garbage.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Lol. This is why I'm unsure about the non pose one I have lying around

Looks like ill have to go on to get a p100 after these

text editor fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 4, 2021

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

ABSOLUTE CHILLS, FEVER, SHORTNESS OF BREATH, AND CRITICAL ORGAN DAMAGE

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Hungry posted:

lol rules-follower

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

mycomancy posted:

Finally got my 3M 7503 in, it fits my big stupid face SO much better.

Question for the hive: what's the exhale filter for these things called? I can't seem to find anything via Google but I swear I saw some mentioned here.

Thanks COVID thread!

ihatepants posted:

Hey Madness,

Can I get a price and shipping costs for two of these to 98030? Need it for 7500 series masks, so I think it would need the 7502 inner ring and outer ring files in the link (although I'm not sure what the smaller_filter thing is for?).

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4311836

Thanks!

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Good Citizen posted:

Xcom monthly project report:

Iowa has signed a secret pact with unknown viral forces and has withdrawn from the project

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Petey posted:

only trust your respirator indeed

Where was the Mask Lab Link again?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Hungry posted:

thats illusory

nobody really follows the rules

there is no social contract

the rich cheat, lie and steal so don't feel bad, and if you do, it means the rich are gaslighting you

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Computer, show me the worst county in SC right now ..

about to cross the threshold from Extreme to I TOLD U I WAS HARDCORE

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
boy i can't wait for my college football today
university of state name hospital is gonna take it all the way this year

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice

Koirhor posted:

for those with kids under 11 go ahead and get flu shots now I remember a study showing it helps mitigate the chances of covid hospitalization due to just ramping up the immune system in general, might be a good stopgap measure over the next 2-3 months

related: If you haven't gotten an MMR booster as an adult then lol

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice
really can anyone describe if the plan is to get dozens of boosters throughout your life

it doesn't seem like maintaining high circulating antibody counts is a reasonable goal for any disease

we've found that t-cell immunity doesn't wane (or rather, hasn't yet) so you can produce antibodies as needed, but this means you may "get infected" initially

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Nocturtle posted:

One thing about our new endemic COVID world, what are parents who care about their newborns supposed to do?

Well, there are these crowds of very angry people shouting "SAVE THE CHILDREN!" so maybe they will help?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dreadite posted:

really can anyone describe if the plan is to get dozens of boosters throughout your life

it doesn't seem like maintaining high circulating antibody counts is a reasonable goal for any disease

we've found that t-cell immunity doesn't wane (or rather, hasn't yet) so you can produce antibodies as needed, but this means you may "get infected" initially

So what you're saying is open er up

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
HHS Numbers

ICU Occupancy - KS/NE crossed 80% but not much else changed
https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1433787827523768325?s=20

Hospital Shortages
I did two maps today - one showing Hospital Shortage %'s based on HHS data reporting, and another one - but removing all the hospitals who didn't report anything at all.

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1434179992943013890?s=20

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Pillowpants posted:

HHS Numbers

ICU Occupancy - KS/NE crossed 80% but not much else changed
https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1433787827523768325?s=20

Hospital Shortages
I did two maps today - one showing Hospital Shortage %'s based on HHS data reporting, and another one - but removing all the hospitals who didn't report anything at all.

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1434179992943013890?s=20

That color scheme sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby