Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It's interesting you mention that because they (accidentally?) removed the limits on large/medium refiner placement, and I had assumed those were there because of some attempt to prevent that item-dropping from happening in the first place

Hah! Also one of the last patches made it so I could approach my main refinery base again instead of crashing. This is important because that base circumvented the old limit by using a short-range teleporter. It's essentially this long hallway with large refiners on both ends with storage containers connecting them.

Back then four large refiners were about the maximum amount of tedium I wanted to deal with, so I made this huge hall just so I could teleport between my two sets of refiners back and forth. Though before the last update plus the following two patches it was glitchy as gently caress. At least now it's only killing my framerate on PS4 instead of just pretending 50% of the hall doesn't exist.

The small patch of hallway where a storm can affect and kill you is still there, of course. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, and now my new settlement is stuck? Oh, this is typical. The patches apparently deleted the building the settlement was building and now no new buildings are being proposed. So now I can visit my old bases again without having to risk crashes, but the settlement I took over is now bugged. :suicide:

Before I abandon those poor bastards to their fate, is there a way to reset a settlement? Or is this not even a bug, and settlement building will progress again if I just wait for long enough?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

ramps no longer attaching to prefab doors :smithfrog:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
on the plus side, freestanding ladders and stairs

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This new building system is actually really good compared to the poo poo that was there before.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Should i fix every settlement or pick and choose? Found one on a lovely planet in a big square hole.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Arghy posted:

Should i fix every settlement or pick and choose? Found one on a lovely planet in a big square hole.

pick and choose, but first, turn your screen on

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Haha yeah i was thoroughly unimpressed with the auto placement, just a giant chunk taken out of the land though i wish i could do similar for my own bases.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I got lucky and found a settlement on a lovely grass world full of luminescent flying saucer creatures with only occasional boiling storms. The settlement system seems like mostly busywork at the moment, but it's sort of relaxing so whatever.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Still losing carbon every time i pack up my portable refiner, sometimes it's the little things that annoy the most.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Just Another Lurker posted:

Still losing carbon every time i pack up my portable refiner, sometimes it's the little things that annoy the most.

Personal Refiner (available from the exosuit guy in the nexus) pretty much completely replaces the portable one.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

AirRaid posted:

Personal Refiner (available from the exosuit guy in the nexus) pretty much completely replaces the portable one.

Ahh, very nice. :discourse:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Did they ever fix Underwater bases "flooding" at all times?

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

ZeusCannon posted:

Did they ever fix Underwater bases "flooding" at all times?

Anecdotally, my pre-patch indium farm with an underwater segment is flooded, but I kind of like it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

inkmoth posted:

Anecdotally, my pre-patch indium farm with an underwater segment is flooded, but I kind of like it.

In my case, even after the first patch all underwater-segments in my bases were flooded. Which came a bit as surprise when I stepped out the teleporter in a completely underwater base, let me tell you

Can't say how it is after patch 2, I've been stuck trying to get my settlement to work. But nothing except occasional Sentinel-attacks seems to function: The first patch wiped out a building I was building, the second a settler-launched expedition. Since then, my settlement is basically frozen in time, except for vicious attacks, of course.

While scanning around, I saw one of my settler's status was "deeply unsatisfied with the settlement". You and me both, buddy. :shrug:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I'm getting new interactions sporadically, I assume the production rates and "how quickly the sentinel timer ticks up" are completely unrelated to whatever gating is in place for other events. I've got a paradise world with low sentinel activity and I've had a grand total of one sentinel attack since 3.6 dropped, I assume if I had picked a high-sentinel-activity world they'd be more frequent.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

:thunk:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I've had the game in my Steam library for a while now, and just really started playing it in the last couple of weeks. I didn't realise, heading for the second(?) space station, that the big ship that got in my way and the pirates that attacked me were the event for getting a freighter. I had already encountered Sentinel(?) ships that attacked me on a planet before hand and I felt that I had my fill of the ship-to-ship combat after some frustrating experience with it. I must have also accidentally shot down a 'friendly' as I lost Gek reputation after shooting down a ship there - the confusion about the situation is what made me decide to hot-tail it out of there.

Maybe I'll be able to find it again, maybe another event will pop up. I've found a B class ship that I'm working on fixing up, and I hope to find a better multi-tool as I've picked up a couple upgrades now that I can't fit into my current one unless I destroy a bolter-improving upgrade I added earlier, and I can't get the drat UI to stop telling me to add the new upgrade.

Currently building something of a base on a paradise planet, looking to gather the rest of the materials needed to fix up the spaceship I have. Even broke-as-gently caress it offered more inventory than my first ship, once I craft the remaining stuff to fix it then it'll be a very nice ship indeed.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

LashLightning posted:

Maybe I'll be able to find it again, maybe another event will pop up.

Another event will 100% pop up, they happen after 2-3 hours of gameplay and at least 5 warps.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I moved settlement a couple of times, and now the quest is glitched, telling me to make my first building from my first settlement. The second settlement I made a couple of buildings without advancing the quest, but after moving to my third one, I get zero events after building the overseer's office.

Looking on reddit, this seems to be a common bug, people are even advancing their system clock by days and still not getting any events. Hopefully it will be fixed soon, but that's going to be a lot of debt before it is.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I just started playing No Man's Sky. My impression was that your starting planet is generated just for you and you start off truly alone.

However, while on my starting planet, I saw at least 5 space ships (other than my own) flying around. None stopped near me, they all flew overhead and went... somewhere.

Were these other players who somehow discovered my planet? I only spent about an hour on the planet before I fixed my starship and left.

Also, if I wanted to return to that planet, how do I do so? I didn't find a map in the menus, but I am also a little overwhelmed by all the menu stuff and perhaps just missed it.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I just started playing No Man's Sky. My impression was that your starting planet is generated just for you and you start off truly alone.

However, while on my starting planet, I saw at least 5 space ships (other than my own) flying around. None stopped near me, they all flew overhead and went... somewhere.

Were these other players who somehow discovered my planet? I only spent about an hour on the planet before I fixed my starship and left.

Also, if I wanted to return to that planet, how do I do so? I didn't find a map in the menus, but I am also a little overwhelmed by all the menu stuff and perhaps just missed it.

NPC ships, you get them on planet & in space... made me feel less alone i found.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

AI Ships will fly to/from inhabited outposts on planets, and sometimes you'll see them flying low in formation.

Having said that, nothing is generated "just for you", but you are placed on a planet near the outer edge of the galaxy and since there's so many, it's almost certain you start on an undiscovered planet.

As for going back there, there's no real reason to have to, but you'd be able to teleport back to the space station (assuming you landed in it) from the teleport system, and the name of the system will be logged under the "discoveries" tab in the pause menu. If when you open this you see your current/most recent planet, go back one and it'll show you the list of systems you've visited.

Don't be afraid to ask questions or look stuff up for this game, there's so much detail and little systems and the game doesn't do the best job of telling you about all of them.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Just Another Lurker posted:

NPC ships, you get them on planet & in space... made me feel less alone i found.

Could I have interacted with them somehow, or are they just for atmosphere?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Well i've bumped into them due to my wonderful flying skills, i never tried shooting them as you might lose standing. :shrug:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

In theory, some of them could show up on the outposts they're flying to, as (I think), there's a limited number of NPCs being generated in each system.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

They also have a habit of flying into/out of the ground. They're there just for flavor.

The new build menu is far superior to the old one, makes it so easy and quick to build stuff. Until I have to power everything anyway.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

you can shoot them down, which lowers your standing with whatever faction that system belongs to.

you can also theoretically follow them to trade depots, but they fly very slow and at the point you encounter them they could be like 5 hours away or something, so its very tedious and there are much faster ways to find trade depots. when you do get to depots, just like space stations, you can interact with the pilots of parked ships by trading with them or buying their ships

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

LashLightning posted:

I've had the game in my Steam library for a while now, and just really started playing it in the last couple of weeks. I didn't realise, heading for the second(?) space station, that the big ship that got in my way and the pirates that attacked me were the event for getting a freighter. I had already encountered Sentinel(?) ships that attacked me on a planet before hand and I felt that I had my fill of the ship-to-ship combat after some frustrating experience with it. I must have also accidentally shot down a 'friendly' as I lost Gek reputation after shooting down a ship there - the confusion about the situation is what made me decide to hot-tail it out of there.

Maybe I'll be able to find it again, maybe another event will pop up. I've found a B class ship that I'm working on fixing up, and I hope to find a better multi-tool as I've picked up a couple upgrades now that I can't fit into my current one unless I destroy a bolter-improving upgrade I added earlier, and I can't get the drat UI to stop telling me to add the new upgrade.
it'll be a very nice ship indeed.

You'll definitely get another event again, they're not as frequent as they used to be (it used be like one out of every 4 warps or something dumb like that) but they are frequent enough that I still save out of habit before warping.

I'm not going to say it's easy because I remember at first struggling with it, but once I got the hang of space fighting (hitting the brakes) I wondered why it was ever a problem.

E: And a positron ejector really trivializes things if you build one.

Rick fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 4, 2021

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Kind of sad about the new update; I had a cluster of a few bases on my favourite planet, and now the biggest one, a whole village and castle that I spent ages building in and above this awesome perfectly flat little canyon near the sea, has literally been crushed by an NPC Exchange building that suddenly appeared on top of it after the last patch (which also hosed up the terrain of the whole area so that now the few buildings that survived are dangling in midair...). :(

This is after the patch a couple before this hosed up my awesome monastery by spawning a huge indestructible decorative tree in the middle of the church. :sigh:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

dennyk posted:

This is after the patch a couple before this hosed up my awesome monastery by spawning a huge indestructible decorative tree in the middle of the church. :sigh:

This almost sounds cool but im sure it wasnt.

Shame they never fixed the flooded underwater base stuff. Since my one got hosed by it i just moved on to other games

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

dennyk posted:

Kind of sad about the new update; I had a cluster of a few bases on my favourite planet, and now the biggest one, a whole village and castle that I spent ages building in and above this awesome perfectly flat little canyon near the sea, has literally been crushed by an NPC Exchange building that suddenly appeared on top of it after the last patch (which also hosed up the terrain of the whole area so that now the few buildings that survived are dangling in midair...). :(

That kind of think doesn't even phase me anymore. Yesterday I walked out of the door of one of my bases and immediately dropped and fell into the ocean. The reason? This base was built on an island, but the update made the island disappear, so now the base is floating free in the air above the water. :v:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
If you're on PC that might be recoverable tbh

e: specifically, bases are "based" positionally with reference to the location of the base computer, 3rd party tools can back up bases and re-import them attached to other base computers if you're so inclined

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It’s too bad they don’t incorporate in the main game. I don’t know what the point of uploading your base is if you can’t actually restore that although I guess that just means Microsoft is the OS of the future.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is this guide to making cash the easiest way to boost myself to riches? Had to start a new save for the first time in a very long time and it sucks being poor.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Depends on how exploity you care about being, it's the first I've heard of that specific route but there are a lot of other options available and "pure cash" ends up mattering very little extraordinarily quickly.

If I'm in a super hurry on a new save file I usually just go hunting for crashed ships and chain selling a decent one so I can get the nanites and inventory slots out of scrapping at the same time

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Pretty sure if all you care about is rushing cash you can just edit your save and bypass the busywork. If you don't like the process just skip it, you know?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
This was the first expansion where I realized that you can refine the junk you take out of locked chests in order to open them. Some of them slowly refine into piddling amounts of nanites, but one kind turns into 2x ferrite, which is cool for getting your ship off the ground.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Every time I enter the anomaly gravity suddenly shifts and I stick to the wall or a ceiling.

Sometimes I manage to right myself but it unfixes itself if I try to enter my ship and I go flying again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You have to wonder how hosed up the code behind this game is when they slightly change the hue of light on the space stations and it causes giant space dicks to grow out of random base parts and causes only some ships to start only flying backwards.