Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

nonathlon posted:

Anyway back to books. I was recently asked to recommend some classic science fiction and it got difficult. Many of the classics are a little dated and have pedestrian writing (Asimov). I suspect others would re-read terribly: like the later Ringworld books by Niven (having sex with aliens for diplomacy is standard operating procedure), the many Niven-Pournelle collaborations (the awful one with a VR D&D adventure, the worse one where science fiction fans save the world), and I don't think you can read Heinlein straightfaced anymore

recently read a clarke book and it was pretty decent except for the part where a guy of australian aboriginal descent tells a white guy that it was probably good the europeans came since his peoples way of life was a dead end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

nonathlon posted:

Anyway back to books. I was recently asked to recommend some classic science fiction and it got difficult...

At the risk of learning that he was secretly a terrible person, even if he didn't write terrible books, how about John Wyndham? The Day of the Triffids for a full-length novel -- and The Seeds of Time would be my pick for readily-available anthologies (there's a bit of everything in that one, from cosmic irony to social satire to pure survival horror).

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

nonathlon posted:

Anyway back to books. I was recently asked to recommend some classic science fiction and it got difficult. Many of the classics are a little dated and have pedestrian writing (Asimov). I suspect others would re-read terribly: like the later Ringworld books by Niven (having sex with aliens for diplomacy is standard operating procedure), the many Niven-Pournelle collaborations (the awful one with a VR D&D adventure, the worse one where science fiction fans save the world), and I don't think you can read Heinlein straightfaced anymore

Alfred Bester. C L Moore. Henry Kuttner. Vonda McIntyre. Pohl & Kornbluth (together and separately). Leigh Brackett. Edmond Hamilton. Theodore Sturgeon. R A Lafferty. Margaret St Clair. Jack Vance.

I'm reading Murray Leinster ATM, and while he does have some occasional remarkable jawdrops in the sexual politics area he's got some really fun stories too.

Ed: yeah, Wyndham's a good call too, though I prefer The Kraken Wakes - make sure to actually read that, though, not the Out of the Deeps version, which has a PTSD subplot removed and a US-pleasing ending where the USA Saves The World.

Ed2: William Tenn.

Runcible Cat has a new favorite as of 22:56 on Sep 2, 2021

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Runcible Cat posted:

Ed: yeah, Wyndham's a good call too, though I prefer The Kraken Wakes - make sure to actually read that, though, not the Out of the Deeps version, which has a PTSD subplot removed and a US-pleasing ending where the USA Saves The World.

I liked the bit where global sea levels start rising, causing humankind to bumble and dither and fret about the stock market

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Runcible Cat posted:

Alfred Bester. C L Moore. Henry Kuttner. Vonda McIntyre. Pohl & Kornbluth (together and separately). Leigh Brackett. Edmond Hamilton. Theodore Sturgeon. R A Lafferty. Margaret St Clair. Jack Vance.

I'm reading Murray Leinster ATM, and while he does have some occasional remarkable jawdrops in the sexual politics area he's got some really fun stories too.

No Stanislaw Lem in your list? For shame.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Carnival of Shrews posted:

At the risk of learning that he was secretly a terrible person, even if he didn't write terrible books, how about John Wyndham? The Day of the Triffids for a full-length novel -- and The Seeds of Time would be my pick for readily-available anthologies (there's a bit of everything in that one, from cosmic irony to social satire to pure survival horror).

Oh, The Chrysalids is a favourite of mine. I think my dad gave it to me to read when I was ten?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Stexils posted:

recently read a clarke book and it was pretty decent except for the part where a guy of australian aboriginal descent tells a white guy that it was probably good the europeans came since his peoples way of life was a dead end

i literally started this thread about clarke(sorta) books

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Brawnfire posted:

I'm really tired of the "cut out all the scenes that make later scenes make sense, then stick them in a comic book" school of film

Or tweet. Or Fortnite event.

When you think your audience is stupid and impatient so you cut out anything you think will 'confuse' them, including all the context that makes the movie less confusing.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Runcible Cat posted:

Sturgeon is a good call. I picked up a collection of his short stories a few years ago and the guy was writing levels beyond most of his contemporaries. And I'd forgetten completely about Fred Pohl.

I'm not worried about recommending things that are old-fashioned or dated, more those authors that got away with bad books because it's SF where standards are low and ideas or world building is often allowed to paper over thin characters, awful plots and dodgy politics.

Did Clarke have terrible books? I can only think of the late life "collaborations" with people like Lee Gentry.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I remember really liking Frederick Pohl last time I gave his stuff a try. The LGBT stuff in Gateway I’m sure would come across as a bit dated today, but would have been super progressive for the time.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I will always stan for Ursula K. Le Guin when it comes to sci fi, as examples of some of the first feminist sci fi. Some of it has aged a bit awkwardly, but she didn't stay entrenched in her ideas on sex and gender, and you can see the change in them over time through her writing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Ringworld has aged horribly at least the first book. Why? The entire plot is literally predestined fate for a young woman to get married to a Conan copy. The entire point of the plot is that she has absolutely no agency and inevitably WILL do this.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I enjoyed it when I first read it but yeah re-reading it more critically all kinds of poo poo jumps out. It has basically one thing going for it, the cool megastructure, and that’s about it.

edit: I also have a soft spot for some of Heinlein’s earlier stuff where the focus was on the adventure, and he mostly kept his horrible politics out of it.

Bargearse has a new favorite as of 09:33 on Sep 3, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Arivia posted:

Ringworld has aged horribly at least the first book. Why? The entire plot is literally predestined fate for a young woman to get married to a Conan copy. The entire point of the plot is that she has absolutely no agency and inevitably WILL do this.

I mean that's a weird interpretation? The plot is a vehicle for a bunch of nobody's to go romping around this cool scifi *thing* the author imagined. The "lucky" lady is maybe the 3rd most prominent of the cast and my takeaway from it was she got to go on a cool space adventure then ditched the crew since the new place was nicer than Earth and she liked it there. Her character is very passive but that's kinda the point? She's lazy and things get handed to her on a silver platter.

'Luck' as a tangible concept was visited by several authors/books and the argument of fate/predestination can be leveraged against all of them, Ringworld wasn't anything special in that regard.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Bargearse posted:

I enjoyed it when I first read it but yeah re-reading it more critically all kinds of poo poo jumps out. It has basically one thing going for it, the cool megastructure, and that’s about it.

edit: I also have a soft spot for some of Heinlein’s earlier stuff where the focus was on the adventure, and he mostly kept his horrible politics out of it.

The early Heinlein (40s-50s?) is not great but also pretty forgiveable. It's YA adventures written in a time and place and is pretty inoffensive. Even Starship Troopers I'm willing to cut a bit of slack to as a bit of a thought experiment and world building. The later stuff that got self-referential and had lots of dudes lecturing other characters got more and more so as it went along. You could read one book and not find it objectionable. Read several and you feel like you're being lectured at by someone who can't help mentioning his profiles on Fetlife and Archive Of Our Own.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I will always stan for Ursula K. Le Guin when it comes to sci fi, as examples of some of the first feminist sci fi. Some of it has aged a bit awkwardly, but she didn't stay entrenched in her ideas on sex and gender, and you can see the change in them over time through her writing.

Always Coming Home is my favourite book right now. Astonishing.

James Tiptree Jr also wrote some impressive stuff though I've never fallen in love with one of her stories exactly. I liked Clarke when I was a kid and just learning about science fiction, particularly his short stories. He's lumped in with Asimov for me in 'short stories good, long stories dull' and 'turned out to be a sexmonster'.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Serephina posted:

I mean that's a weird interpretation? The plot is a vehicle for a bunch of nobody's to go romping around this cool scifi *thing* the author imagined. The "lucky" lady is maybe the 3rd most prominent of the cast and my takeaway from it was she got to go on a cool space adventure then ditched the crew since the new place was nicer than Earth and she liked it there. Her character is very passive but that's kinda the point? She's lazy and things get handed to her on a silver platter.

'Luck' as a tangible concept was visited by several authors/books and the argument of fate/predestination can be leveraged against all of them, Ringworld wasn't anything special in that regard.

But the book dwells on it endlessly: the entire reason for bringing her along is that she is lucky, and that she is lucky enough to not be harmed. If she went to Ringworld her destiny must reside there, and her destiny is specifically demarcated as being getting married to not-Conan when they meet. Like I read it literally in 2019 for a feminist/queer speculative fiction bookclub and we were all amazed about how explicitly clear it was in the text that her marginalization and disempowerment was an essential part of the plot.

It's not an uncommon idea in books, sure, but Ringworld was particularly unique for setting it up in such a misogynist way, and repeatedly uttering it as a universal truth of the core plotline. It's not a subplot, it literally is the plot. Everyone read the novel for the cool megastructure, sure, but the actual plot of the novel is "this lady's destiny is to get married to a big strong barbarian and things happen to facilitate that." I'd quote chapter and verse but it was bad enough I got rid of my copy after the book club meeting.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

To be fair the sequels do go into it with much more nuance but I can’t blame you for not wanting to go there.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

ToxicFrog posted:

No Stanislaw Lem in your list? For shame.

Shame admitted. Also must flagellate self for forgetting Ursula Le Guin.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bargearse posted:

Heinlein's writing and politics got noticeably worse after the major stroke he had in the '70s, too.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

HopperUK posted:

Always Coming Home is my favourite book right now. Astonishing.

James Tiptree Jr also wrote some impressive stuff though I've never fallen in love with one of her stories exactly. I liked Clarke when I was a kid and just learning about science fiction, particularly his short stories. He's lumped in with Asimov for me in 'short stories good, long stories dull' and 'turned out to be a sexmonster'.
Clarke and Asimov were sexmonsters?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Asimov, yes. Never heard anything like that about Clarke, who was a closeted gay man with a steady partner. Wikipedia says that a tabloid falsely accused him of soliciting minors in Sri Lanka; his name was cleared by the police there.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Who would you say Peter Troyer is describing in this essay?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Yeah, for years there were vague unpleasant rumours about Clarke (SF fans would say "everyone knows" without saying what it was they knew). In retrospect, some of it might have been just old-fashioned homophobia. Anyway while Clarke's partner was young when they met, they were together for decades. Theres nothing to see here.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Rascar Capac posted:

Yeesh. Never mind.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rascar Capac posted:

Holy poo poo

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Well that’s disappointing. At least I’m not giving him any money when I buy his books.

Tunicate posted:

Heinlein's writing and politics got noticeably worse after the major stroke he had in the '70s, too.

I don’t recall if The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress was pre- or post-stroke, but it was an entertaining read if you can look past the libertarian horseshit.

Bargearse has a new favorite as of 06:20 on Sep 4, 2021

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

okay well that escalated quickly, i just thought the guy had some very awkward early 60s ideas of how to insert ethnic groups into a "march of progress" narrative and within a page it turns out he's a pedophile rapist. truly science fiction is a land of contrasts

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

nonathlon posted:

Philip K. Dick.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I'm the kind of rear end in a top hat who'd suggest Lucian of Samosata's True History as 'classic science fiction. It's classical...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hellequin posted:

Philip K. Dick.

Harlan Ellison, too. Even if the man himself was a piece of work, his stories are excellent and often very progressive.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Djeser posted:

I'm the kind of rear end in a top hat who'd suggest Lucian of Samosata's True History as 'classic science fiction. It's classical...

I really wanna see an animator tackle his account of a battle in space. Wanna see the people riding on insects and vultures and all the ground troops fighting on webs spun between stars by giant spiders.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Harlan Ellison, too. Even if the man himself was a piece of work, his stories are excellent and often very progressive.
Ellison was no doubt the prototypical raging rear end in a top hat in many, many ways but he has a star in heaven for being Octavia Butler's ferocious and loyal champion.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I really wanna see an animator tackle his account of a battle in space. Wanna see the people riding on insects and vultures and all the ground troops fighting on webs spun between stars by giant spiders.

Holy cow I never read this before. It's quite something.

Lucian posted:

There are a kind of men among them called Dendritans, which are begotten in this manner: they cut out the right stone out of a man's cod, and set it in their ground, from which springeth up a great tree of flesh, with branches and leaves, bearing a kind of fruit much like to an acorn, but of a cubit in length, which they gather when they are ripe, and cut men out of them: their privy members are to be set on and taken off as they have occasion: rich men have them made of ivory, poor men of wood, wherewith they perform the act of generation and accompany their spouses.

Their spouses here are also men. No girls in space. Except the giant spiders I suppose.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

They talk about which great philosophers and heroes are hooking up with who while they're in the land of the dead. The True History rules.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Djeser posted:

You're not an rear end in a top hat for this.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Dudes carved out of acorns from giant flesh trees with modular ivory dicks?

*checks deviantart*

Well, here's something interesting. Very Fletcher Hanks' prose style.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Carnival of Shrews posted:

Perhaps I've read too much bad smut, but it was the Sproggle Pin passage that got me laughing like a loon near the end of a tough week. "Sproggle pin" occurs nowhere on the internet...except within the pages of The Suppliant, as excerpted on this very thread. It's a phrase worthy of the great Lionel Fanthorpe.

Just like 'the tiger in space'.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hellequin posted:

Philip K. Dick.

I think it's really weird how Blade Runner is so poetic while Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is so plain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Alhazred posted:

I think it's really weird how Blade Runner is so poetic while Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is so plain.
Late-period PKD, like A Scanner Darkly and VALIS, is quite a different story. He developed a fascinating voice toward the end of his life.