Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, so. I have a dilemma:

What ink to get for the black ice VP? Obviously it has to be a blue-black ink, and while I do have 54th Mass on hand already, it's a medium nib and 54th Mass is wet as all hell, so I'm thinking of something drier. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://www.gouletpens.com/collections/all-ink/products/colorverse-extreme-deep-field-ngc-1850-65ml-15ml-bottled-ink?variant=39270218301483. I've personally never tried this specific one, but Colorverse makes good ink in general, the swab looks good, and you get a shimmer ink as well.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

iospace posted:

What ink to get for the black ice VP? Obviously it has to be a blue-black ink, and while I do have 54th Mass on hand already, it's a medium nib and 54th Mass is wet as all hell, so I'm thinking of something drier. Any suggestions?

I use Bad Belted Kingfisher almost exclusively as my blue black.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

howe_sam posted:

https://www.gouletpens.com/collections/all-ink/products/colorverse-extreme-deep-field-ngc-1850-65ml-15ml-bottled-ink?variant=39270218301483. I've personally never tried this specific one, but Colorverse makes good ink in general, the swab looks good, and you get a shimmer ink as well.

This is probably closer to what you want than the Diamine Shimmering Seas I was going to recommend.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

howe_sam posted:

Hmm, I'm definitely intrigued!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Haha I just spent a few hours tracking down ink reviews of tono&lins inks and bought like 4 inks in various shades of blue :shepspends:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Xun posted:

Haha I just spent a few hours tracking down ink reviews of tono&lins inks and bought like 4 inks in various shades of blue :shepspends:

One of us, one of us

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Xun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0kGvgXmmgk

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Uganda Loves Me posted:

That looks really neat! Out of curiosity, how much of a difference is there between the nib on a cheap pen (like the Metro) and the nib on a high end pen? I know the nicer pens use higher end metals, but is the machining very different? I'm still really happy with my Metro, but I'm thinking about asking for a cool pen next birthday/Christmas/whatever.

i know this isnt exactly the question but specifically between a Metro and a Vanishing Point, the metro is like writing by dragging a twig through some dirt compared to the VP.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

iospace posted:

Iroshizuku shin-kai: https://mountainofink.com/blog/pilot-iroshizuku-shin-kai
Top notch ink.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

iospace posted:

Also, I have decided that the Homo Sapien is my grail pen, namely the Blizzard one.

Want so bad.

When I saw the blue from that series I was excited until I realized the cap on this series is magnetic instead of the hook style. :(

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That's also on the radar, and it would be pilot ink going into a pilot pen :v:. I have a week to figure it out.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
As much as I like Shin-Kai I found the lack of waterproofing to be a big downside for it. Dark blue inks fall squarely in the "work" category for me so having my writings rub off was a turnoff.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I'm gonna throw out a suggestion for Robert Oster Fire and Ice. Magnificent blue with plenty of shading!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Chip McFuck posted:

I'm gonna throw out a suggestion for Robert Oster Fire and Ice. Magnificent blue with plenty of shading!

Seconded!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I bought another Invicta fountain pen, and this one actually looks pretty nice. Ruthenium plated solid sterling silver cap, solid, striped-glass barrel. Based on the silver hallmark the pen was made by Signum in Italy.

Yes, I got another one of the stupid looking little stands, but it wasn't actually capable of holding the pen.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

That's pretty as hell, drat

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I am shallow at heart, weak of will, and dumb of rear end, so I bought a shitton of Ferris Wheel Press samples (I think the midsize bottles will look nice on a shelf next to my I Scream Nails polishes). Here is my attempt to suss out which ones were decent using a dip pen, which I swapped out for a different dip pen after the first line. This is of limited usefulness because I'm just using printer paper I had in my planner and it's dark, but maybe this will satisfy someone else's curiosity. Tanzanite Sky is a very dark purple, and Edwards Gardens looks like a darker Bluegrass Velvet, but my phone camera didn't pick that up very well. Or the extent to which Strawberry Macaron looks borderline invisible.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

grack posted:

I bought another Invicta fountain pen, and this one actually looks pretty nice. Ruthenium plated solid sterling silver cap, solid, striped-glass barrel. Based on the silver hallmark the pen was made by Signum in Italy.

Yes, I got another one of the stupid looking little stands, but it wasn't actually capable of holding the pen.

Wow, I love that.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Thank you for the swatches and the comments, especially the comments.
Buying too much ink kinda comes with the hobby, self-control does not.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Everett False posted:

I am shallow at heart, weak of will, and dumb of rear end, so I bought a shitton of Ferris Wheel Press samples (I think the midsize bottles will look nice on a shelf next to my I Scream Nails polishes). Here is my attempt to suss out which ones were decent using a dip pen, which I swapped out for a different dip pen after the first line. This is of limited usefulness because I'm just using printer paper I had in my planner and it's dark, but maybe this will satisfy someone else's curiosity. Tanzanite Sky is a very dark purple, and Edwards Gardens looks like a darker Bluegrass Velvet, but my phone camera didn't pick that up very well. Or the extent to which Strawberry Macaron looks borderline invisible.

Cream of Earl, as a name, is both incredibly funny and wholly inappropriate

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

If they were going for 'looks like you dipped your pen in milky tea' then I personally think they achieved it, but also I instinctively find it gross-looking, hahaha.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

sb hermit posted:

Cream of Earl, as a name, is both incredibly funny and wholly inappropriate

“The quick brown fox okay no wtf is this color” is so accurate.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

Sorry for the double-post but I have a question of my own:

I'd like to get into a smallish notebook "system" with some options for planners, blank notebooks, random other crap. I think I've settled on the Traveler's Notebook as the best option for what I'm looking for, but I'm curious about the covers. Are the actual Midori TR covers the best way to go, or are some of the knock-offs or Etsy store options better for less money? I'd like something leather, and that will last a long time with regular care, so I don't really want to save $30 on a knock off only to have the leather cracking in a year's time or whatever.

Bonus question, does anybody have a strong recommendation for any other notebook systems that I should look at?

The answer is the hobonichi techno.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
High thumbs up to the Techo. I've had one that I didn't use all that much until I started school and now it's in my pocket at all times.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm planning on picking up/preordering a Techo this Friday when I head back to Atlas.

I promised a coworker I'd get her a preppy!

iospace fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 5, 2021

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I don't think the 2022 ones are up for preorder quite yet. They usually open up in mid September I think. Jetpens has a mailing list you can sign up for that will notify you when they open.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Heath posted:

I don't think the 2022 ones are up for preorder quite yet. They usually open up in mid September I think. Jetpens has a mailing list you can sign up for that will notify you when they open.

They’ve been up since Tuesday on the official website. How do I know? Because I placed an order for over $200 on Wednesday. (Including one for my mom). My main calendar is the larger cousin, (so I ordered a refill, Since the time traveling bird from last year is still the best big cover I’ve seen.) but I got new covers for the techo as notebooks. It’s also the last place that you can get the original Tom River paper. They have blank notebooks on their website.

The hot item that’s already sold out but will be restocked tomorrow is the animal crossing cover. I didn’t order one, but I’m tempted of making a second order to get one plus more blank notebooks. On the other hand, since sailor has a big sale going on on most of the main websites in America, I am kind of tempted to pick up a 1911 large at a discount.

It’s my grail pen.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

And the ink that's going in the Black Ice Vanishing Point is...

Robert Oster Fire and Ice. :getin:

Couldn't resist putting an ink with "ice" in the name in a pen with "ice" in it as well.

iospace fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 6, 2021

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Heath posted:

High thumbs up to the Techo. I've had one that I didn't use all that much until I started school and now it's in my pocket at all times.

What's the magic about these things? I've heard a lot of chatter them. I prefer a planner where I can see 1 month across 2 pages. Do they make anything like that, or are they all one week per page?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Pixelante posted:

What's the magic about these things? I've heard a lot of chatter them. I prefer a planner where I can see 1 month across 2 pages. Do they make anything like that, or are they all one week per page?

Yes they have that. They’re very cool and the paper is amazing and you can get one cover you love or new ones every year. They come in small a6 and the larger a5 sizes.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

LionArcher posted:

It’s also the last place that you can get the original Tom River paper. They have blank notebooks on their website.
Did Galen Leather ran out? Earlier this year I ordered a few notebooks with, what they claim is, the original Tomoe River paper.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

A package from Turkey arrived!

And since I'm left handed...

I put the notebook in backwards!

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
I shouldn't have given my friend a Metropolitan to start off with, because he really enjoyed the experience and the LAMY safari I gave him this week isn't cutting it for him. I pretty much only have F and M nib pens left, so while I may have created another fountain pen fan, he's not going to explore much outside Pilot.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Abyss posted:

I shouldn't have given my friend a Metropolitan to start off with, because he really enjoyed the experience and the LAMY safari I gave him this week isn't cutting it for him. I pretty much only have F and M nib pens left, so while I may have created another fountain pen fan, he's not going to explore much outside Pilot.

Hah I had the same experience, I got a plain black Metro as a gift, then bought a weird-colored Safari not long after and it was really a disappointment in comparison, even knowing that I was getting something that would be plastic (albeit "nice" plastic). Just didn't feel as great to write with. I still have that Safari because it's a cool color but I almost never ink it up.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Might just be he likes Japanese pens in general. Make sure he knows about Sailor and Platinum!!

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

:goonsay: it's jumps

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Looks like Platinum is discontinuing the whole President line. It's too bad, that's one of my favorite pens :(. If anyone was waiting to buy, get one now before they're gone. Lots of places running 40% off deals.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Meanwhile, my Safari is my favorite between it and my Metro. Maybe because of my weird lefty grip, but the Metro just isn't as comfortable to hold for longer writing sessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

:goonsay: it's jumps

I don't live in the past :colbert:

lmfao whoops