Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Eimi posted:

Or just use the Avatar's name! Slash let me change the names of the ones I download so it's not just xxxSasukeNarutoxxx

I find myself a lot more likely to download an avatar if it has a pronounceable name. My criteria are: 1)Have a good name, 2)Not be a Vauban Turtle* 3)Not be a Megalopolist**, 4)Not be loving Victor, you lazy bastards.

*These are unlocked by default and everyone had this initially.

**No one needs two of these, and I have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tom Tucker posted:

It was after about 80 hours playing that I discovered the leaders aren’t just cosmetic with random attributes but have built in biases and DIFFICULTIES associated with them

I tried posting about this and the new world map stuff a bit but since the default settings are what most people play, that's how it's going for a lot of people

If you don't change the AI avatars, you'll see the same behavior game after game. And it'll be a very end turn experience if they're all trustworthy pacifists

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

It seems like slots 2/3 always spawn on either side of you so if you want to you can always game it so they won’t gently caress with you until you conquer or vassalize them.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

This game needs a "random AI" button. And a balance patch for the Khmer and Turks. The AI is at a severe disadvantage because it needs to think about which Medieval culture it wants to be, instead of the correct option of always choosing Khmer.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Chamale posted:

This game needs a "random AI" button. And a balance patch for the Khmer and Turks. The AI is at a severe disadvantage because it needs to think about which Medieval culture it wants to be, instead of the correct option of always choosing Khmer.

God yes. I would love a random AI button. And while I would love a balance pass, honestly it's not just the Turks that are absurd it's just modern era scaling in general. Though when it comes to Khmer honestly I'd love if it if as a rule all unique distrcts pull double duty, just to be more interesting and powerful. Give the unique district the fixed yields, have what you build require pop to get yields, and then find some way to fix scaling and rebalance science costs so it's not required to really finish the tech tree.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Eimi posted:

God yes. I would love a random AI button. And while I would love a balance pass, honestly it's not just the Turks that are absurd it's just modern era scaling in general.

I agree with that. The modern era seems like it tends to be over too soon, so by the time you get nukes or exosuits or whatever, the game simply ends before you can use them.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I dont even know why finishing the tech tree ends the game. You would think that the space race would fulfill largely the same role.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

This game needs a "random AI" button.

this as well as the ability to create your own AI personas is all i crave

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Chamale posted:

Choosing Khmer should cause your nearest neighbors to go all in on Huns and Mongols yeah. :v:

Actually that said I'm surprised there are no independent horde types that just roll around with horse archers and gently caress up outposts and raid administration centers if not bribed.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Chamale posted:

I agree with that. The modern era seems like it tends to be over too soon, so by the time you get nukes or exosuits or whatever, the game simply ends before you can use them.

Yeah the game ends way too quickly, tons of shiny toys late game you just never really get to use much. I kept playing after winning my last game just to build up a huge modern military force and do an oversea's invasion to see what it's like. Turns out once you have a huge number of units and air support and poo poo it all becomes a giant clusterfuck, and the reinforcement/support UI is really bad at telling you what you can and cannot do.

incuus
Apr 29, 2008
The “forced surrender” mechanic is incredibly frustrating and broken. It’s taking me 40 turns to conquer a severely underpowered opponent because they keep surrendering and I never have enough war points to wipe them off the map.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Raze their administration centers and outposts and substitute it with your own instead. As a plus side it also increases their war score when you raze their stuff.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Danann posted:

Raze their administration centers and outposts and substitute it with your own instead. As a plus side it also increases their war score when you raze their stuff.

I had no idea it raised their war score, I had been using razing as a way to try and buy myself time in wars I was losing. Oops.

incuus
Apr 29, 2008

Danann posted:

I’m sure there were some other factors at play but I tried reloading a save 5 turns back and razing a bunch of outposts before they surrendered and I somehow ended up with even less war points.

fnox
May 19, 2013

The game is like 2/3 DLCs away from being truly better at being Civ than Civ. There's a lot of mechanic changes that I really like on paper, but are a couple iterations away of being actually better than what Civ does.

Late game for one sounds really exciting with its more fleshed out combat. But you essentially never get there. If you play for keeps and just industry spam early, you become impossible to catch up for any AI opponent. Meaning that by the time you get your modern army, you're already at the point where you're about to get a win condition anyway.

It really doesn't help with the "make a civilization" system that there's just obviously better choices. I want to be strategic about my choices but in practice it ends up being a race to get Egypt or Myceneans, Maya, Khmer, Mughals. I even wanted to see if I could build up my economy by going Siam, only to find out their signature district is nigh impossible to place, essentially a wasted choice.

I did find out that you can absolutely loving rocketboost your Science output if you went industry-heavy by picking Swedes as your final civ. That ability to turn all your industry into science in a city, plus their science district means you easily get to 8k a turn. I literally did nothing but spam my industry, so I was stuck with early modern tech. Within like 40 turns I already had nukes researched after hard pivoting to science at the end.

I do want this game to succeed though. They're willing to do things that will never happen with Civ, and it's strategically complex in a very satisfying way that Civ hasn't been for me for a while. It even handles very large territories and armies rather well, and it doesn't have the huge performance issues that Civ6 seems to have with large maps.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

One simple thing is why did the game launch with so few narrative events? They’re so easy to make but I see the same ones all the time. Variety!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Late game Civ is such a boring grindfest when one player has already won. I suppose Humankind is better with its "Contemporary Age is over in 15 turns" approach, although it's still not good.

The game has a lot of tiny flaws that I can't believe they missed. I imagine the playtesters got stuck in certain strategic mindsets so they couldn't see how powerful certain strong cultures can be. It reminds me of stories from Magic playtesting where incredibly strong cards like Skullclamp or Oko make it through playtesting because the devs think of them as bad, then they replace a + sign with a - sign and all hell breaks loose.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Is there some simple way to tweak map scripts so I can get close/semi-touching continents? No 4x seems to include this as an option even though it's how the actual world is set out and it always drives me crazy. There's even a continent closeness setting right there but they only put in separated and chaotic options :psyduck:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Eimi posted:

Yeah even with the updated beta patch spawning, way too many territories are just blank. I really think there should be at least one resource, luxury or strategic or a wonder per territory. Having blank terrain is so boring, especially when stuff seems to cluster. There will be vast swaths of nothing and then one province will have 3 strategics and a luxury.

Game desperately needs an "abundant" resource setting like the last 3 Civ games have had. I want multiple resources in most territories, and at least one in each. Resources are fun, balance be damned, that's why it's an optional setting.

Chamale posted:

The game has a lot of tiny flaws that I can't believe they missed. I imagine the playtesters got stuck in certain strategic mindsets so they couldn't see how powerful certain strong cultures can be. It reminds me of stories from Magic playtesting where incredibly strong cards like Skullclamp or Oko make it through playtesting because the devs think of them as bad, then they replace a + sign with a - sign and all hell breaks loose.

I don't think I'd blame this on playtesters; balance and pacing was very different in the OpenDevs and Betas. Joseon for example was heavily nerfed between Open Beta and release. And the Contemporary Era was never available for testing (nor was pollution).

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 5, 2021

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Is there some simple way to tweak map scripts so I can get close/semi-touching continents? No 4x seems to include this as an option even though it's how the actual world is set out and it always drives me crazy. There's even a continent closeness setting right there but they only put in separated and chaotic options :psyduck:

I have no idea if it's the result of a setting, but I had a game with a new world connected to my territories by only shallow water, so I was able to colonize it without competition. So the game can do it

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Also Khmer was pretty massively nerfed from playtesting. The original iteration was somehow even more insane. Like double the current yields.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Tom Tucker posted:

One simple thing is why did the game launch with so few narrative events? They’re so easy to make but I see the same ones all the time. Variety!

Makes me wish I knew how to mod!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Built a megacity without Carthage or any industry civs outside of Siam. No pyramids too. Pretty fun for a flex even if unnecessary.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
if you're trying to minimize your pollution industry civs are a trap anyway. when Fusion Power and the clean plants say "reduces makers district pollution by x%," they mean MAKERS DISTRICTS ONLY. pyramids? hell yea theyre smokin. unless that's been patched?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I just don't build the polluting improvements at all.

No I have no clue what kind of manufacturing the fusion reactor is powering too. :v:

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

In my latest game somehow my Harrapan Shamanism spread to another Civ 5-6 districts over and, without noticing, I got an alert saying "The Celts have selected the next Tenant for Harrapan Shamanism!"

Apparently my religion was so powerful (how - I have no idea I did literally nothing to boost it except choose Shamanism) the Celts adopted it fully then built a holy site before I could and became the de-facto religious head. I never got a chance to build a single holy site but I was pissed so I had to build World Wonder Canyon including a few "counts as a holy site" Wonders to get it back and rename the religion "gently caress you Celts" before the game ended. Of course by that point the civ was no longer the Celts and had gone off to be some other random Civ so the point was moot and this otherwise fun story was lost in a sea of constantly-shifting identities.

The Celts apparently spread it so effectively the entire world was following it and I got an achievement for "8 or more civs following a religion I lead" when I wasn't even the leader of the religion any more.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

On huge maps polytheism-type religions pretty much overtake shamanism hard due to all the extra territories in the game while shamanism takes a while to scale up.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They really should primarily identify other empires by the leader first and foremost rather than their current culture. It'd be a simple UI change that really would go a long way toward lessening the impact of constantly shifting cultural identities.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

incuus posted:

I’m sure there were some other factors at play but I tried reloading a save 5 turns back and razing a bunch of outposts before they surrendered and I somehow ended up with even less war points.

Looks likes it's razing districts instead of the centers/outposts instead. Haven't razed a admin/outpost but I did raze an extractor and that gave the AI I was warring with some war support.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Heck just create randomly generated names like “The Belthyn Theocracy” or “Thassius Republic” based on the leaders ideologies and then you can click on em to see which culture is inspiring them this age.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Hmm, should we start making a list of Goon Personas? At the very least something that should be different from the default Amplitude presets.

This one should be mine: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/personas?persona=173525

fnox
May 19, 2013

Are mod tools out yet? There's enough easy fixes here that I think I'd like to take a crack at it.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Eimi posted:

That too. You never get to attack in a siege which is hilarious and....honestly with how suicidal the ai is with it's militia probably better for you.

Also on the subject of turns, attacker getting to move EVERYTHING first is so insane once you remember there's no limit to the size of a battle. They really need to rethink that and implement either some kind of initiative system, a sane cap on number of units in a battle (otherwise why care about army size at all?) or an I go, you go system.

Yet another useful system they've inexplicably dropped from Endless Legend. It was fun in that game balancing your army so they could be super tanky but sacrifice initiative, or have a high initiative army that was hosed if it could kill enough stuff early on because you'd gone all in on speedy artefacts and poo poo instead of armour.

Danann posted:

Hmm, should we start making a list of Goon Personas? At the very least something that should be different from the default Amplitude presets.

This one should be mine: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/personas?persona=173525

This is a good idea, this is mine though I think I just pressed random buttons instead of planning anything

https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/personas?persona=643242

e: does the link actually work? both of those links take me to the exact same page

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

incuus posted:

This is a bug that is fixed in the beta I posted earlier. When you load a save it wasn't keeping your starting war score or something like that.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yet another useful system they've inexplicably dropped from Endless Legend. It was fun in that game balancing your army so they could be super tanky but sacrifice initiative, or have a high initiative army that was hosed if it could kill enough stuff early on because you'd gone all in on speedy artefacts and poo poo instead of armour.

This is a good idea, this is mine though I think I just pressed random buttons instead of planning anything

https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/personas?persona=643242

e: does the link actually work? both of those links take me to the exact same page

Doesn't seem to be working, I'm going to list out my persona and see if you're able to find it:

Danann
Benevolent/Careful/Introvert
Rusher/Prideful
Genius/Workaholic

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Got owned by the AI in a new match yesterday. Trying to figure out why the AI sometimes gets a free melee attack where they don't take any damage from the defender, is that intended and how does it work?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Danann posted:

I just don't build the polluting improvements at all.

No I have no clue what kind of manufacturing the fusion reactor is powering too. :v:

me neither but once in a while you'll click one by accident anyway on account of having nothing left to build, and if there's a way to sell buildings i'm unaware of it

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Popete posted:

Got owned by the AI in a new match yesterday. Trying to figure out why the AI sometimes gets a free melee attack where they don't take any damage from the defender, is that intended and how does it work?

In my experience, when that happens it’s because of lag as them being the first attacker and doing the attack while the game is still processing setup, and they do actually take damage - their bar is less than full - but there’s no pop up with the number because of the lag.

But maybe it’s a bug I haven’t seen yet.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

skeleton warrior posted:

In my experience, when that happens it’s because of lag as them being the first attacker and doing the attack while the game is still processing setup, and they do actually take damage - their bar is less than full - but there’s no pop up with the number because of the lag.

But maybe it’s a bug I haven’t seen yet.

I think that's what happens if they attack out of the fog.

Also heavy weapons can't counterattack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Also if you were going against the Huns, their unique unite is a one-tile ranged unit that doesn't get counter-attacked.