Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Anyone played Escape the Dark Sector? I love Castle, but Idk if Sector is worth getting if its just the same game with better art.

It’s similar but there’s enough different situations for it to be fun. I have both and enjoy each of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Played more board games today than I had in person in the last two years! Played Splendor, Hive, Forbidden Desert, and Small World. Good times.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Finally got A Feast for Odin to the table for the first time tonight. Big hit! While I have a good handle on how to play, I'm a far cry away from actually being a competitor. Scored 63 and the front runner scored 103.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Went to Stategicon in LA and it was great! They were very strict about checking vaccine cards, and everyone had a mask on.

I didn't find a Crokinole board but did hit up a table from a nice couple of dudes who have formed a modular boardgame storage company in San Diego, so hopefully they get boosted business with the whole Broken Token fallout.

I also got to see (though not play) the new edition of GWT which looks very nice. I was planning on holding onto my 1E copy but now I may not.

I played a (small) game of Blood on the Clocktower and Y&Y, which were both fun. I was only there for half a day and next time I'll go for a full two!

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
So we just did a sesh of Cantaloop. After one play it's a super fun coop puzzle/escape room type thing. I'm enjoying more than any exit game I've done anyway. The rules say it's inspired by old school point and click adventures and it totally succeeds to recreate that in cardboard with what I'd call straightforward mechanics. Not to mention it also has a dry, LucasArts sense of humour in the descriptions and dialog. The main character being a dad-joke punster doesn't hurt either.

We also solved a puzzle only to get this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SettingSun posted:

Finally got A Feast for Odin to the table for the first time tonight. Big hit! While I have a good handle on how to play, I'm a far cry away from actually being a competitor. Scored 63 and the front runner scored 103.

You scored above zero, be happy and proud.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Cmon, is getting into that sweet sweet NFT racket.

https://www.cmon.com/news/cmon-partners-with-monsoon-digital-to-launch-an-nft-trading-platform

Can't wait for people to brag about owning a link to a jpeg of a HATE character for $100,000.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Of course CMON would.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I want the NFT of that terrible KS video for HATE.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Is the terraforming mars card game any good?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Golden Bee posted:

Ares Expedition doesn’t play meaningfully different enough from TfM so the same criticism applies to it. It uses Race for the Galaxy role selection but in this case that means it takes twice as long to get anything done. My one play of it so far at 2 players took longer than the original.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Golden Bee posted:

Still on the fence about it. It's very recognisably TM, streamlined into a Race For the Galaxy format, feels a lot like the original boardgame experience, plays in 50 minutes ... but some of the wording is odd, there's a board that you could easily design out, essentially multiplayer solitaire, big box for a card game ...

I'm not won over but I'm interested enough to keep playing to see how it develops.

nonathlon fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 7, 2021

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I know this isn’t really the right thread, so forgive me, but is there a Flesh & Blood thread in Trad Games? With a quick look I couldn’t find one but I’m also a dipshit.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I've played it twice at 4 players and probably won't ever touch the original again. I thought it was much quicker and much more enjoyable than regular Terraforming Mars.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jcam posted:

I know this isn’t really the right thread, so forgive me, but is there a Flesh & Blood thread in Trad Games? With a quick look I couldn’t find one but I’m also a dipshit.

No, there isn't, and the common consensus is that it's 90% grift and 10% game, so feel free to start one, but it's gonna be a tough road to hoe.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Toshimo posted:

No, there isn't, and the common consensus is that it's 90% grift and 10% game, so feel free to start one, but it's gonna be a tough road to hoe.

Ahh yikes, I didn’t know that. I watched a bunch of gameplay and it didn’t look too bad, maybe I should stay away then? What’s the grift?

Edit: to be clear I haven't played the game and don't own any product, so if this is a subject of argument on here then just completely disregard my question

Jcam fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 7, 2021

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
You know what's a card game that's not a rugpull on gullible collectable speculators, and also not a massive flaming pile or turds where Wendy from Wendy's can equip a Meltagun to attack the planewalker Seven of Nine?

Netrunner. Or rather, the products compatible with the discontinued game Android: Netrunner being produced by the fan-run nonprofit volunteer collective NISEI. There is a thread for it, but I wanted to mention it here since I first heard about it here from either gutterdaughter or maybe it was actually Panko on the discord, I honestly forget.

I finally got to play a few weekends ago. We had a great time. The onboarding product, System Gateway, was very helpful in learning the rules. We're still learning, but I am super excited to play more.

This is not your average fan project where everything sucks, is OP, breaks up because friendships end, or where it's all stolen copyrighted art from DeviantArt. They've created their own assets, commissioned art which is mostly quite good in System Gateway (and perfectly serviceable before that). It's been going two years and they seem to have been the best stewards a dead game could ask for.

Thanks to whichever goon it was that turned me on to this, because this is exactly the methadone I was looking for to cure my MtG withdrawl. Now I just have to convert the rest of my CCG friends. :sickos:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

You know what's a card game that's not a rugpull on gullible collectable speculators, and also not a massive flaming pile or turds where Wendy from Wendy's can equip a Meltagun to attack the planewalker Seven of Nine?

Netrunner. Or rather, the products compatible with the discontinued game Android: Netrunner being produced by the fan-run nonprofit volunteer collective NISEI. There is a thread for it, but I wanted to mention it here since I first heard about it here from either gutterdaughter or maybe it was actually Panko on the discord, I honestly forget.

I finally got to play a few weekends ago. We had a great time. The onboarding product, System Gateway, was very helpful in learning the rules. We're still learning, but I am super excited to play more.

This is not your average fan project where everything sucks, is OP, breaks up because friendships end, or where it's all stolen copyrighted art from DeviantArt. They've created their own assets, commissioned art which is mostly quite good in System Gateway (and perfectly serviceable before that). It's been going two years and they seem to have been the best stewards a dead game could ask for.

Thanks to whichever goon it was that turned me on to this, because this is exactly the methadone I was looking for to cure my MtG withdrawl. Now I just have to convert the rest of my CCG friends. :sickos:

Netunner is absolutely top notch as a game. I think jinteki is still up so you can play online as well?

Edit : https://www.jinteki.net/

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 7, 2021

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jcam posted:

Ahh yikes, I didn’t know that. I watched a bunch of gameplay and it didn’t look too bad, maybe I should stay away then? What’s the grift?

Edit: to be clear I haven't played the game and don't own any product, so if this is a subject of argument on here then just completely disregard my question

No worries. Here's some of the discussion had so far (in other threads):

Toshimo posted:

The entire point of the product is that a bunch of the MtG speculators get together and buy out the limited run product for effectively nothing through their inside industry contacts and resell it through their patreons and poo poo at incredible markups while using it to hype their "content creation" and generate buzz about how much the product is "worth".

It's a bunch of backroom deals between the company and speculators to create a bubble, and nothing I've seen from the game's design looks to be worth it. To be clear about how far this goes, the name "Flesh and Blood" is in reference to the fact that they actively are avoiding any digital product and want the game to be played in person only, in "flesh and blood", because that way they can create an artificial scarcity/buzz about physical product.

They are also hard to do some big in-person tournaments with massive cash prizes in the next couple of months to set up their Pro Tour. I don't know what their COVID precautions are like, but the whole thing seems dicey and forced. This would not be the first time a card game has tried to muscle through with a MILLION DOLLAR TOURNAMENT CIRCUIT or whatever, and it has basically never ended well.

triple sulk posted:

First edition printings have "cold foiled" cards which are mostly equipment cards and typically either common or legendary rarity, with some exceptions such as majestic weapons. Originally there were six rarity levels: common, rare, super rare, majestic, legendary, and fabled, and the super rare tier was removed. One case (four boxes) might contain one legendary on average. Fabled cards appear in one in 40ish boxes. So far they've mostly had minimal impact at a game level, but the most impactful equipment cards are often legendary rarity which means some equipment cards are $250 or so.

Rainbow foils also exist, but other than that and a few edge cases of things like a handful of alternate arts that only appear in the first edition, there is zero difference between the printings. That said, cold foils are then the only way to truly bling out your deck, but then you'd effectively be playing with cards you're supposed to lock away and grade because the sets have artificial scarcity.

The game's creator has gone on videos with one well known FAB whale who's a rich fintech guy that owns a ton of Magic power and is basically hoarding up tons of singles and sealed product. There's another couple people out there like him and Rudy that own literally four figures worth of boxes when we're taking about a potential first edition print run of no more than 50-75k boxes for the latest set.

It's gross.

triple sulk posted:

Happened to see you quoted me and I'm glad to talk at length about this since I typed that other post from my phone. This is going to be a long post, so I apologize in advance.

I want to at least address FAB The Game first so it doesn't seem like I have no idea how it actually works. The game in and of itself is "okay" but for some reason people seem to be completely unaware of other games in the TCG market which have similar elements in their design that have made them not particularly good over the years.

The basic gist of the game is that each player has a hero character. That hero character is of a given class, and each class typically has its own sort of design in how it engages. Some classes can store up tokens to attack with later in one massive hit, or others might ping you for a bunch of 1-2 point swings that you eventually can't defend in a given turn. That's just going tall or wide, which is a term that people may have heard before from Magic or other TCGs.

Each hero has a set of equipment for the head, chest, arms, and feet, along with a weapon. Those equipment cards vary in their usefulness and functionality; the worst ones will just be a one-time use to mitigate a couple points of damage before they're broken, and others have passive effects which are much more powerful. Some equipment is class-specific while others are generic. The most powerful equipment cards are often majestic or legendary rarity, with some exceptions thus far; Arcanite Skullcap is a generic piece of head equipment that appears in many builds and as such goes for $225 on TCGPlayer as a current low price. This is generally a worst case scenario, but others such as Fydenal's Spring Tunic go for the $150 range.

Your deck is composed of a mix of class-specific and generic cards. I won't go into too much detail for sake of being as succinct as possible, but these fill different roles. The general flow of battle is that you basically use attack action cards to swing at your opponent which starts a chain, and you each take turns responding with various cards such as attack or defense reaction cards. You pay for the card actions by pitching them. All those cards have a 1-3 value (and affiliated color), so in every new set you'll always see a ton of cards like this:

As such, you have a lot of duplicates and the values adjust accordingly. That bottom right value is a defense value you can use to block against attacks by essentially throwing them away without actually activating them as a card. Thus the whole idea of making people throw away their cards and pinging them for damage in some builds.

If you want to find out more about this, I'd say to just go watch a video, but the short of it is that the game is very much just back and forth swinging at people and not exactly interactive in the same way that Magic is with its stack. To make things worse, I don't believe that long term the game is all that deep because of the way heroes are designed. To elaborate, there have been four sets thus far. Three have had new class heroes introduced, and one more was a supplemental set all with "young" heroes that fill their 20 HP blitz format, although two of those were new classes that no one plays. Those classes are as such:

Welcome to Rathe, containing the Brute, Guardian, Ninja, and Warrior
Arcane Rising, containing the Mechanologist, Ranger, Runeblade, and Wizard
Crucible of War (the supplemental set), containing a Brute, Mechanologist, Ninja, Warrior, and new Merchant and Shapeshifter
Monarch, containing a Light Illusionist, Light Warrior, Shadow Brute, and Shadow Runeblade

But now you might say that the last three classes already existed, when the reality is that the light and shadow theme of Monarch introduces talents, which are ultimately just twists on the existing classes, but can completely warp the manner in which they play. The talentless classes such as the Warrior cannot use Light Warrior type cards, but the talented class can use the baseline Warrior cards. The first hero type for the upcoming set is an Elemental Ranger, which means that the original ranger hero may or may not get any tangible support as virtually all of the cards in the set will be talent-specific, so you just hope something happens to come down in the form of generic equipment or other such cards.

If you're familiar with Vanguard, it's a similar problem where you have a bunch of clans, except even within those clans you could have small variations of playstyles, but ultimately you might wait years to ever see support again. The short of it is that hero bans come along in the way of wins, so if your hero is banned, you can never use them again, and you might need to wait for another one to be released at some point to replace it. I see it that they're trying to avoid rotation by jamming out new [talent/class] combos every set, but other heros end up forgotten or outpaced, and the gameplay in and of itself is not all that intriguing when you could just continue to play commander in Magic and do virtually anything you want.

Now onto the finance side, which I've touched on. The company that makes FAB, Legend Story Studios, publishes first edition print run data for each of their sets some number of months after release. Sets have been as follows:
Welcome to Rathe - 400000 booster packs (16,666 boxes)
Arcane Rising - 400000 booster packs (16,666 boxes)
Crucible of War - 900000 booster packs (37,500 boxes)
Monarch - TBA

With five legendaries and one legendary card per 96 packs for WTR, for example, that means that 4,166 first edition legendary cards exist in total in that set, and 833 of each card, which has the "cold foiling" (basically certain parts of the card and the borders are silvery). The same is true for the second set. For the Fabled card, Heart of Fyendal, there's probably even fewer. That's why you see finance people treating the game like Alpha Magic and that their cards should be worth $15k-40k.

I won't dig too much into the community specifics but Saint (FaBled Hunters) is one of the known whales along with Rudy (Alpha Investments) and another guy he's collaborated with who owns probably 1500+ boxes of Monarch first edition alone at this point. Let's be generous and say that 75,000 boxes of Monarch first edition were produced, and conservatively assume half of that was already opened; that means one person alone owns potentially 4-5% of all remaining sealed product for that set. Before release, Monarch first edition boxes hit as much as $650 each on Channel Fireball, and Rudy sold supposedly 3000 bundles of two boxes with a playmat and promo for $1000. Boxes soon after plummeted and are now in the $250 range at best. Considering what he probably paid for the product at a distribution level, he probably made at least a couple million dollars just off sales of that bundle alone. He's since mainly moved onto MetaZoo as the new "get in on the ground floor" grift for people who didn't sell Welcome to Rathe boxes for $6-8k a piece.

The next FAB set has people a bit wary because of what happened with Monarch, but CFB is still charging $175 a box as of this writing for first edition boxes. LSS and the community keeps hyping up their pro circuit when you could argue no one really gives a poo poo about competitive TCGs any more and just wants to play commander, never mind that there's still a really bad pandemic going on which may end up cancelling a lot of stuff if it keeps getting worse. Most of the YouTubers only talk about the finance side of it or have weird low-quality production videos that come across as grifty.

I'll probably stop here for now.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Magnetic North posted:

Wendy from Wendy's can equip a Meltagun to attack the planewalker Seven of Nine

You say this like it's not dope as gently caress.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Thanks all for the discussion of Parks. I bought it for my partner who's a huge national parks fan and we had a great time. It's a pretty simple game, but the art and production values really carry a lot of the enjoyment for me in playing it. The huge parks cards themselves are pretty awesome by themselves, but the rest of the game feels nice too. I wouldn't say it's an amazing game, but it's really solid taken all together.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Got to play two big games this weekend.

First up, a 4-player game of 1830. We're all semi-veterans and knew broadly what to do but we haven't played 1830 in what feels like a year, so it was a bit like learning how to ride a different bike after constantly using your mountain one. We started off very quickly and I attempted to put into practice the strategy of starting companies like crazy, selling down to presidency, starting even more, rushing trains, and just generally acquiring as many shares as I could. I did fairly well until the permanents came out and then my plan stalled because I was out of companies to start and people weren't rushing trains and the PRR owner started printing money with her company.

I would do some things differently if I could do it again but I would like to play a lot of 1830 to git gud at it and really develop a group that is cutthroat and hostile.

Next up was my first ever game of Imperial Struggle. Long story short: I really enjoyed it. I think that Twilight Struggle fans will not like it as much but I appreciated that it streamlines a lot of stuff that I found annoying about TS while also adding a lot of stuff that makes it more complicated and fiddly (for better or worse). Without going too much into it, I think my main worry is that the game just feels longer and bigger, which results in a bigger time commitment and thus higher hesitation when you go to grab something on your shelf to play. If I saw it cheap I would grab it but I am not rushing to grab a full-price copy of it, not because it's a bad game but more because I don't think I would get to play it enough to make it worth while at the moment.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
The hype surrounding F&B reminds me of short-lived (?) "tournament-centric" CCG
The Spoils that ran a similar Big Numbers invitational tournament on, like, a cruise ship... I think it ended up flopping, though. The only time I see anything about it is ads on the back of the box of some old Dragon Shields I bought.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

FulsomFrank posted:

First up, a 4-player game of 1830. We're all semi-veterans and knew broadly what to do but we haven't played 1830 in what feels like a year, so it was a bit like learning how to ride a different bike after constantly using your mountain one. We started off very quickly and I attempted to put into practice the strategy of starting companies like crazy, selling down to presidency, starting even more, rushing trains, and just generally acquiring as many shares as I could. I did fairly well until the permanents came out and then my plan stalled because I was out of companies to start and people weren't rushing trains and the PRR owner started printing money with her company.

I would do some things differently if I could do it again but I would like to play a lot of 1830 to git gud at it and really develop a group that is cutthroat and hostile.

Next up was my first ever game of Imperial Struggle. Long story short: I really enjoyed it. I think that Twilight Struggle fans will not like it as much but I appreciated that it streamlines a lot of stuff that I found annoying about TS while also adding a lot of stuff that makes it more complicated and fiddly (for better or worse). Without going too much into it, I think my main worry is that the game just feels longer and bigger, which results in a bigger time commitment and thus higher hesitation when you go to grab something on your shelf to play. If I saw it cheap I would grab it but I am not rushing to grab a full-price copy of it, not because it's a bad game but more because I don't think I would get to play it enough to make it worth while at the moment.

If I never play 1830 again I'll die a happy camper. It just hasn't aged well in my opinion and I'd say both 1822 especially and even 1840 are better experiences. Or 17 if you don't mind all the math. Yet you do as you want :) Just throwing another opinion out there. Just because clearclaw thinks it's the best game ever doesn't make it so.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mayveena posted:

If I never play 1830 again I'll die a happy camper. It just hasn't aged well in my opinion and I'd say both 1822 especially and even 1840 are better experiences. Or 17 if you don't mind all the math. Yet you do as you want :) Just throwing another opinion out there. Just because clearclaw thinks it's the best game ever doesn't make it so.

Fair enough! We've just played so much 18MEX that we needed a change of pace and I've been reading a ton about '30 so seemed logical. My copy of 1822 is stuck at a friend's place until I can grab it and I don't know anyone with '40. I've got 18USA on the way but I'm scared how daunting that one is going to be to our group, but I've got one play of 1817 under my belt. (Thank you 18xx.games!)

I would love to play a bunch of 1849 but I think it scared our one friend with the multiple track types, but I will force him to enjoy it in the future.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Was considering getting Monikers, but was just wondering - does the core game come with any extra space in the box? Or would I need to keep expansions in their respective boxes?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

For what it's worth, F&B isn't breaking any fantastically new design ground or anything, but I really like it as a non-licensed dudebasher that has new cards being released regularly. The distribution model is totally rear end for first edition stuff, but at the same time you can have a pretty decent casual time just grabbing a pair of Blitz decks at ~$10 each and checking it out, plus the "unlimited" reprints are nice if you just want to play the game and not participate in some kind of international money laundering.

Netrunner is also a fantastic game but the asymmetric and bluffing aspects mean that it doesn't really compare to anything else in my mind. It's like Tragedy Looper, it does its own thing.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Anyone play Churchill? Thoughts?

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Morpheus posted:

Was considering getting Monikers, but was just wondering - does the core game come with any extra space in the box? Or would I need to keep expansions in their respective boxes?

Iirc there is some spare room but maybe only for one small expansion, if that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
SHASN followup is on Kickstarter and I'm tempted. Anybody have any comments on the base game?

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Morpheus posted:

No room for the expansions. Each expansion (of the 3 I’ve seen) is roughly half as many cards as the main box.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Rockman Reserve posted:

For what it's worth, F&B isn't breaking any fantastically new design ground or anything, but I really like it as a non-licensed dudebasher that has new cards being released regularly. The distribution model is totally rear end for first edition stuff, but at the same time you can have a pretty decent casual time just grabbing a pair of Blitz decks at ~$10 each and checking it out, plus the "unlimited" reprints are nice if you just want to play the game and not participate in some kind of international money laundering.

That's kind of what I was thinking after watching the game being played. There's no reality where I'd ever buy any of the First Edition prints of each set, but I have been looking for something to replace FNM from when I was younger and playing WarMachine at the FLGS. I'd like to start going out to game nights at a local store again once things are safer, but I don't think I'd want to buy back into Magic again. The game looks great still, I just think I got everything I wanted out of it and am okay with that.

My nearby store has a bunch of the free Flesh & Blood "welcome" decks and offered to give me a couple to try out, so I might check it out. I definitely see the bullshit with collectors maliciously buying up the *~*First Edition*~* prints of each set and then gouging people with absurd prices, and would never participate in that. The Unlimited prints might allow that? I don't know.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My one friend who I've been playing games with and I have become addicted to 2p Spirit Island with the "Second Wave" scenario. We just keep doing it over and over.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I’ve been rereading most of Umineko trying to solve poo poo before book 7 and it’s really gotten me back into Tragedy Looper, which has finally clicked *so hard* in my head.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:australia: Puerto Rico up on Catch for $52

https://www.catch.com.au/product/puerto-rico-deluxe-5179893

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

I have a question about Crew - do you guys allow communication of general strategy during the round? Like for example "we all need to get rid of color x" or "we need to set up tricks for player x to take", etc. Technically you're not saying anything about the contents of your hand, but I feel like it might be too much for what the game is expecting.

Strategy no, but we don’t really care about repeating information that everyone was able to see, such as that the captain hasn’t played their trump yet or that someone didn’t have any green cards to follow suit on a previous round

Comp-U-Shit
Nov 14, 2008
I've been playing some Flesh and Blood and enjoying it quite a bit. I think it's got some pretty elegant systems and interactions. I think it definitely has some problems with how rare the legendary equipment are relative to how powerful they are, but most unlimited printing cards are pretty drat cheap on the secondary market and the game plays very well with the starter decks and sealed. I think its worth at least checking out one of the blitz decks if you're at all interested.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
While we are tangentially related, does anyone have opinions on the Final Fantasy TCG?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Been playing a few 2P games recently as my regular gaming partner from the old group decided to come out of a well-cautioned hermitage.

Last weekend saw the likes of SW rebellion, Seki, TFOTCOG, Targi, and Samurai. Looking to ramp back up to regular games of GOG and Nap’s triumph again soon.

Got a pile of JP import games I’m looking to get through soon. Thankfully they’re all light games so can start to jam them out in between other games but they require 3+ players given they’re mostly trick takers.

FulsomFrank posted:

Nice nice. I’ve been hoping to get my old gang together again to play sometime so I’m v envious at your ability to do so. Online play isn’t enough gotta feel the chips.

I do wonder how terrible we’ll be once we play again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

nordichammer posted:

While we are tangentially related, does anyone have opinions on the Final Fantasy TCG?

I watched the World Championships on Twitch a couple years back and it was p rad. Looked at the cards online and read some articles. Seemed fine.

Then I thought about dumping several hundred dollars into a niche TCG where I'd have to trawl LGSes hoping for a group to form and was like... Nah.

(This is how every physical CCG except M:tG looks to me whenever I consider playing. Doubly so since the pandemic.)