Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Atrocious Joe posted:

I think people overly focusing on the Lib response of blaming the moral failings of anti-vaxxers, miss how conservatives are blaming the moral failings of the sick. When people say "my immune system can handle it," they're implying something is wrong and hosed up in all the people who do get sick and die.

Remember that "I'm better than you and my life is entirely under my control" are core parts of their belief system. It's true of conservatives and it's true of meritocracy-minded liberals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

Remember that "I'm better than you and my life is entirely under my control" are core parts of their belief system. It's true of conservatives and it's true of meritocracy-minded liberals.

anyone that still thinks we have anything resembling a working meritocracy at this point is sick in the head lol, lmao

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

zone posted:

anyone that still thinks we have anything resembling a working meritocracy at this point is sick in the head lol, lmao

We must live in one otherwise how else would these failsons be at the top of the pyramid? Theyre built different

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/mangiotto/status/1434380682218909696?s=21

seems cool.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

zone posted:

Yeah, but it's their whole identity. If we don't live in a meritocracy, then how did I get this house and my nice job? Are you saying I didn't earn them? Are you trying to imply I don't deserve all these things? I also made all the right choices about the vaccine, which means I'm now immune to COVID forever and none of my actions can possibly have any harmful outcomes. I know this is true because I made correct decision and thus it's inconceivable that anything bad can happen to me, because this is how my life has always worked.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

I think people overly focusing on the Lib response of blaming the moral failings of anti-vaxxers, miss how conservatives are blaming the moral failings of the sick. When people say "my immune system can handle it," they're implying something is wrong and hosed up in all the people who do get sick and die.

yeah, a lot of GOP fans do get sick after saying they are one of God's chosen healthy ones, but that isn't going to change the narrative. Just like breakthrough infections and asymptomatic spread isn't going to change the Democrat storyline.

it's the same liberal moralism from both major parties and their supporters, just with different flavors. The republican response is more self destructive, but it's got the same ideological underpinning.

It's the same framing as when people say "he lost his battle with cancer", as though defeating cancer was a matter of martial skill of which this person did not measure up to

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Yeah turns out the college thing is just everywhere, lol.

My social media feed is filled with friends who are at packed indoor concerts. Open Biden I guess.

The marching band then formed a gigantic covid molecule before forming the letters lol.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Atrocious Joe posted:

No matter how bad things get, remember that Joe Biden's plan is working
https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1433891056953790482?s=20
lmao by the time this pandemic is over, we'll have 6 million American deaths and no one will give a poo poo because Number is doing well

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I had a pair of maine coon kitty bros since 2007, practically twins, one of them died a year ago but his bro is alive and strong, he's missing a back leg but he manages ok, I just smelled him like joe biden with unwilling women and he smells just like his past brother who was very fond of me. I'm going to squeeze him and snuggle him for everyone in this thread. sorry life is hell but at least cats exist

he purring rn

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Would you bother telling the parents if the teachers had a sniffle? No. Open. UP!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/getthebagcoach/status/1433879486924271618?s=21

skit or just hell? you decide.

lmao.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Stereotype posted:

i really can't imagine any way for this to end well

i'm sure we can't ever run out of people willing to do the work, and if we do just cut all welfare until the problem solves itself

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/MaxCRoser/status/1434228604666368007
:piss:

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

A couple decades ago, parents were pulling their kids out of my dad’s middle school science class and screaming at school board meetings because he wasn’t teaching both sides of the evolution debate. Now I’m looking at a picture of what might as well be those kids and I’m just very unhappy. I don’t know when we came up with the idea that every idea is just as good as every other idea and that all positions must be respected, but we shouldn’t have done that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Definitely noticed a lot of covid notices on the ESPN ticker today included caveats about the infected people "claiming" to be vaccinated. I guess word from Disney Overlords is that you lied about getting vaccinated rather than it being a breakthrough case.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

hey.

hey.

0.1% IFR

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

ram dass in hell posted:

lol this made me realize that for years pre pandemic I was on a bo burnham type arc of coming out of a depressive and isolatory shell due to paat trauma over the course of years and had for the first time in my life felt a sense of purpose and belonging and community and then everyone in that community got brain damage from trump leading to full blue maga mindset leading to full open biden and here I am disconnecting fully from a death cult society again but this time it's good alienation because it's based on valuing life

I realized I was trans at the very end of 2018, spent 2019 really wrapping myself around the idea and coming out to people and 2020 was going to be about trying to find my way to expressing who I actually was.

Instead the world broke and I've both completely lost my mind but have more basis in reality than almost anyone who I know which makes me feel more insane. Oh wow you couldn't go to brunch or the gym for a couple of months? That must be hard I feel like my entire existence has shattered into nothingness because the old one is gone but the new one got strangled before it could even start.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Steely Dad posted:

So how the gently caress does covid end. Does it end

It becomes endemic with cyclical waves that continue until it evolves to become less deadly. Then it becomes just another coronavirus like the assortment of corona and rhinoviruses that cause the common cold. Over the last few hundred years many of those caused pandemics when they first appeared before settling down. Genetic research connecting past pandemics with modern viruses is ongoing. Hopefully the process of evolving to become less deadly only takes a few decades.

It wasn't that long ago that things like polio and measles were endemic. It's definitely possible to maintain a modern society with periodic small waves of death occurring.

I expect that to be the next pivot. Grandpa had a brother die at 8 from scarlet fever, and a cousin crippled from polio. We're just going back to the 1950s health wise. Millennials are so entitled what with expecting death from infectious disease to be abnormal. We're going to live with covid just like polio, smallpox, measles, ect. Please ignore the decades of work and billions spent to eradicate those diseases.

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 5, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Piggy Smalls posted:

i am vaccinated

Rick posted:

Definitely noticed a lot of covid notices on the ESPN ticker today included caveats about the infected people "claiming" to be vaccinated. I guess word from Disney Overlords is that you lied about getting vaccinated rather than it being a breakthrough case.

:hmmyes:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Last weekend I was freaking out about my daughter being in the hospital with covid. She's fully recovered now and I want to thank everyone in this thread who showed concern.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Steely Dad posted:

So how the gently caress does covid end. Does it end

With a zero covid strategy. There really is no other way. Covid isn't just a medical problem. In fact, I don't think we'll really solve this through purely medical or scientific means. This is a social problem. If we all masked up and locked down, covid would die out in about forty days. In fact, a lot of diseases would be. The flu could be wiped out. We could eradicate all STI/STD's. It is possible. Smallpox was wiped out in such a fashion and now only exists in labs.

The problem is that in order to wipe out covid we would need to temporarily halt most activity that allows capitalists to profit. Also we would either need wide consensus that a new lockdown would be necessary and enforcement and isolation of non-compliant localities and even countries. The task is extremely daunting.

We literally can't live with covid. It kills people too fast. We will never beat it with science. It mutates too quickly and it is used to dealing with the immune system of the bat, which is far better than ours. We don't have millions of years of evolution to catch up to bats. The only way to beat covid until science catches up, and that's an if, not when, is to never allow it into your lungs.

I wrote about this before, but I think that the only way we get rid of covid is with pain and suffering and death of those who are non-compliant. There are too many reactionary forces that are anti-mask, anti-vaccine and pro-opening up. Not just the chuds, but many libs want to return to comfort no matter the cost. And until they suffer and die and new pro-mask, pro-vaccine, pro-shutting poo poo down and very possibly pro-isolation groups arise as a constituency, covid will be here and it will constantly mutate and change and run us over about every six to twelve months until we loving learn how to deal with it.

There is no living with covid. And covid is a social problem. So until we resolve the social problem we will continue to have covid. Covid itself will resolve much of the problem through mass suffering and death. The problem is that we have to go through that first.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 5, 2021

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

this is grimly interesting

~820k in the USA (vs 650k official), with high confidence
Russia at 670k vs 173k, lmao.
China at 450k, but with absolutely massive error bars between 0 and 1.5M @50% c.i.
India also has huge uncertainty, but likely (95%) 4M+ vs 430k official

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Rick posted:

If only there was a way to track who got the vaccine... a proof of vaccination, if you will

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Ice Phisherman posted:

With a zero covid strategy. There really is no other way. Covid isn't just a medical problem. In fact, I don't think we'll really solve this through purely medical or scientific means. This is a social problem. If we all masked up and locked down, covid would die out in about forty days. In fact, a lot of diseases would be. The flu could be wiped out. We could eradicate all STI/STD's. It is possible. Smallpox was wiped out in such a fashion and now only exists in labs.

The problem is that in order to wipe out covid we would need to temporarily halt most activity that allows capitalists to profit. Also we would either need wide consensus that a new lockdown would be necessary and enforcement and isolation of non-compliant localities and even countries. The task is extremely daunting.

We literally can't live with covid. It kills people too fast. We will never beat it with science. It mutates too quickly and it is used to dealing with the immune system of the bat, which is far better than ours. We don't have millions of years of evolution to catch up to bats. The only way to beat covid until science catches up, and that's an if, not when, is to never allow it into your lungs.

I wrote about this before, but I think that the only way we get rid of covid is with pain and suffering and death of those who are non-compliant. There are too many reactionary forces that are anti-mask, anti-vaccine and pro-opening up. Not just the chuds, but many libs want to return to comfort no matter the cost. And until they suffer and die and new pro-mask, pro-vaccine, pro-shutting poo poo down and very possibly pro-isolation groups arise as a constituency, covid will be here and it will constantly mutate and change and run us over about every six to twelve months until we loving learn how to deal with it.

There is no living with covid. And covid is a social problem. So until we resolve the social problem we will continue to have covid. Covid itself will resolve much of the problem through mass suffering and death. The problem is that we have to go through that first.

pfizer is going to make a nose spray for rich people and then

COVID is OVER

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Delta-Wye posted:

COVID is OVER

Shoot covid all up in that bitch.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Delta-Wye posted:

COVID is OVER

a mask that automatically sprays that poo poo up your nose when it detects a poor person within 2 meters

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Atrocious Joe posted:

No matter how bad things get, remember that Joe Biden's plan is working
https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1433891056953790482?s=20

Weird, Australian politicians tell us the same thing.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Grem posted:

Last weekend I was freaking out about my daughter being in the hospital with covid. She's fully recovered now and I want to thank everyone in this thread who showed concern.

great to hear! i hope her good recovery continues and she enjoys her newly naturally augmentated titers

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

the hundreds of thousands dead aren't a tragedy, those are victory coffins

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
Shits getting bad again goons.

The operating room schedule is starting to have multiple “trach and peg, covid positive” or “VATS decortication, covid positive” show up on it again like back in the first surge

These all fall to me and my subspecialty team , we’re spending a lot of time puncturing tracheas and chests wearing level c getups now so hold on to your butts

(I’m a cardiothoracic anesthesiologist in ny)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

SplitSoul posted:

Testing has since dipped slightly from its already abysmal level, but wouldn't that be reflected in a higher positivity rate also? Given how infectious Delta is and all. Or it could be a combination of that and vaccines not having waned massively yet.

I'm trying to gauge if I should chance the dentist again, they're badgering me about a six-month checkup. Probably better now rather than later. Are they still required to wear PPE?

Counter intuitively no it wouldn't. As long as surveillance testing is being conducted on a large scale on people unlikely to have COVID, removing the party crowd from the statistics will actually make the positivity drop. We can only gauge the true level of infection by monitoring the movement in hospitalizations, barring jumps in vaccination rates or drops in protection offered. If it stays constant in the coming weeks, you will know the actual number of infections didn't really decline.

Dentist PPE I don't know, but please let me know what you find out. I personally wouldn't go for a checkup.

Edit: Just to substantiate, the people that would get tested for the vaccine passport are by definition unvaccinated, indulging in risky behavior and are the type to not get tested unless they have to. They have a much higher chance of testing positive than say my double vaccinated neighbor who works from home, but gets tested 2 times per week because the employer requires it.

Pingui fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Sep 5, 2021

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Mola Yam posted:

this is grimly interesting

~820k in the USA (vs 650k official), with high confidence
Russia at 670k vs 173k, lmao.
China at 450k, but with absolutely massive error bars between 0 and 1.5M @50% c.i.
India also has huge uncertainty, but likely (95%) 4M+ vs 430k official

I thought pretty much all reasonable metrics agreed that the US had at least 1 million? I thought we were already like at 1.1?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

cardiacarrest123 posted:

Shits getting bad again goons.

The operating room schedule is starting to have multiple “trach and peg, covid positive” or “VATS decortication, covid positive” show up on it again like back in the first surge

These all fall to me and my subspecialty team , we’re spending a lot of time puncturing tracheas and chests wearing level c getups now so hold on to your butts

(I’m a cardiothoracic anesthesiologist in ny)

Stay safe. Seriously.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://i.imgur.com/WDX34wM.mp4

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Rubby posted:

HELLO FRIENDS

Since my unemployment runs out tomorrow and nobody at any level of government has talked about extending it COVID MUST WELL AND TRULY BE OVER!!

If you want to celebrate labor day with a capitalism - buy shirt here: :siren::siren::siren:https://rubby.threadless.com/designs/open-biden/mens/t-shirt/regular?variation=front&color=black:siren::siren::siren:

It is also available as a Greeting card! or a ....zip pouch ...I don't know why, that's super loving weird BUT IT MAKES AN INCREDIBLE GIFT FOR THE BRUNCH LIB IN YOUR LIFE to acknowledge and celebrate that COVID IS OVER

I am INCREDIBLY EXCITED to GET BACK OUT THERE secure in the knowledge that there is not a much more transmissible variant floating about and that our miracle vaccines will SAVE THE DAY no this is NOT me having a mental break PRAISE BE TO OPEN BIDEN

Quoting for morning/day crew.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Milosh posted:

my wife miscarried last night. gently caress 2021.

gently caress, that's terrible. I'm so sorry.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

astronautism posted:

Hello friends! One thing I have found to keep your chin up is to have a pet and get a friend or buddy to take pictures of you. Here is my example. I hope this finds you all well and I'm going to continue daydrinking

this is a very lovely picture! you both look cool and chill

so i'm getting my second shot of pfizer tomorrow (australia, NSW, not sydney though). been kinda freaking out about covid in general, not leaving the house aside from a daily walk, people just aren't wearing masks or anything, nobody in public seems to give a poo poo, though my friends are on board with staying home and masking up at least.

my dad (nearly 70, constantly on the verge of diabetes and rail thin) called me and asked my opinion on the vaccines, and what i'd read about ivermectin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

mod sassinator posted:

current status, hammock camping in the cascades on a high point at 5200 feet and watching the sunset

while getting cell reception and checking if the world has fallen apart more than when I left it hours ago lol

im jelly