Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

bird with big dick posted:

There's absolutely software fuckery happening but I'm also not convinced it'll get fixed to everyone's satisfaction due to the Battery Degradation Engineer or whatever saying "nope that'll cause too many warranty claims" or something. I'm a Ford homer but I'm not totally delusional.

why didn't they just give me a 110% battery then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I like the electrons are like cars in a parking lot. Pull into an empty one and you find a spot pretty quickly. Pull into an almost full one and it’s gonna take time to find a spot.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Elephanthead posted:

why didn't they just give me a 110% battery then?

Or why don't they just keep some battery in "reserve" like VW does so that 100% is really 90%.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MrLogan posted:

Or why don't they just keep some battery in "reserve" like VW does so that 100% is really 90%.

They do.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

From my POV as a software developer, hiding reality behind metaphors you assume people are used to is almost never going to result in the outcome you want. People who are willfully ignorant are going to find ways to continue to be, and people who really want to understand are going to be confused by why you tried to redefine what "percent" means.

I think Ford did the right thing.

E:

oh. Welp.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MrLogan posted:

can’t wait for tuners to offer some “full power unlock” hack for these and ruin a bunch of people’s batteries

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Also if Ford can gently caress up the paint application on p much every FiST made before 2017 (including mine) and tell their buyers to pound sand about it they can absolutely gently caress this up and do the same if it isn’t a “batteries catch fire” issue.

They are an American car company, after all

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

cruft posted:

Both Teslas I have owned go from 0% to about 80% really quickly, and then slow way the gently caress down. Like, I would say 80-100% takes almost as long as 0-80% on the L3 DC chargers. On road trips we hardly ever go up to 100%, you just charge up to what you need to make it to the next charger. Much faster this way.

I mean hell even my cell phone charges fast up to about 75% and then slows way down.

Lithium ion batteries use a two-phase charging process called "Constant Current, Constant Voltage":
  • Constant Current: The current is held constant while the voltage steadily increases. This phase lasts until the battery reaches a certain charge level (usually about 80%).
  • Constant Voltage: The voltage is held constant while the current steadily decreases. This phase lasts until the current drops to nearly zero.

Here's a nice picture of the lithium ion charging process shamelessly borrowed from this site (which also has an excellent explanation of the lithium ion charging process):

The battery chemistry affects some of the details, but the overall process is the same for all lithium ion batteries.

If you don't charge lithium ion batteries this way, then dentrites (little crystals) can form on the anode, pierce the separator, short circuit the battery, and cause the battery to explode.

If you own a Bolt then you may have gotten this feature for free:

quote:

The simultaneous defects—a torn anode tab and a folded separator—created a “perfect storm,” according to Greg Less, technical director of the University of Michigan’s Battery Lab. The torn tab likely created a projection within the otherwise flat cell, bringing the anode dangerously close to the cathode. The separator defect compounded the problem. Normally, the separator would keep the anode and cathode from touching, but with it folded out of the way, the batteries could short and catch fire.

Edit: Fix typos, change "Leaf" to "Bolt" before I get hate mail from Leaf owners.

MrPablo fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 5, 2021

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Charged at my first public charger. There were two ID-4s and a Jag there and only half the chargers worked. Went to 80% quick and then slowed way down but I didn't really want to charge past 80% anyway. Do most people just keep their max set around 80 for daily driving? I know I'll never use more than even half the range just commuting and running around town.

I get free L2 charging at work, so I keep my max setting at 90% at work. I get down to about 85-86% by the time I get home. I then have my home setting to max out at 70%. I don’t usually bother to plug in at home, as I don’t often dip below that 70% threshold to start taking in power at home. But if I am off for a longer period of time, or I have been running a lot of errands, I will.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Seems smarter to set the threshold lower for your use case, charging up to 90% is putting unnecessary strain on your battery.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 5, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

So my mom has a model 3 on order (standard range model). Initially they were saying November but now it's pushed back to January. Then the sales guy at the pick up center (same one who helped her with test drive) said that there might be some new battery chemistry model 3s available sooner, but only have 250mi of range.

Is this just sales bullshit? New chemistry having lower range? Seems funky.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Those are just the LFP cell models they're already selling outside the US. And from what I've read, the EPA range difference is in the 10 mile range.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Russian Bear posted:

So my mom has a model 3 on order (standard range model). Initially they were saying November but now it's pushed back to January. Then the sales guy at the pick up center (same one who helped her with test drive) said that there might be some new battery chemistry model 3s available sooner, but only have 250mi of range.

I assume he means made in China SR+ versions. They are actually very good. Youtube "MIC SR+"

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My neighbor told me he was getting a model 3 that was made in china because they can't make enough in the US

e: this is in Massachusetts

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Russian Bear posted:

Are you in a market that would get Chinese export Tesla's? Those use a different battery than the California ones
E;fb

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Russian Bear posted:

The newer SR+ vehicles are getting LFP batteries, slightly lower capacity (~10 miles) in exchange for the ability to charge to 100% every single time, so effectively more convenient range for daily use. And they can handle more charge/discharge cycles so the pack has a longer total lifespan.

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 5, 2021

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Huh I didn't know they were offering lfp to the us market, but I just searched and looks like they're doing just that

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yup that sounds like the exact thing the guy was talking about. Thanks EV thread!

This is an order in the midwest.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Yup that sounds like the exact thing the guy was talking about. Thanks EV thread!

This is an order in the midwest.

If I had the option, I would probably go for the LFP, but I live the the PacNW, and our winters are pretty mild. The one unknown about tesla's LFP chemistry (or all LFP car chemistry) is the cold-weather performance - evidently they have a greater power decrease in the cold. Testers like Bjorn really like the LFP, but they make sure to note that they will re-test in the winter. Might not be a big deal, but something to note. Also they are more politically acceptable, as they have less conflict minerals.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Orvin posted:

I get free L2 charging at work, so I keep my max setting at 90% at work. I get down to about 85-86% by the time I get home. I then have my home setting to max out at 70%. I don’t usually bother to plug in at home, as I don’t often dip below that 70% threshold to start taking in power at home. But if I am off for a longer period of time, or I have been running a lot of errands, I will.

Hell, if it's only 5% for you to go to or from work it'd probably be better to set your work max to 80% and your home to like 50%.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xSg0ASuu4w

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Congrats! Great color, like everyone said. Hope it isn’t slow forever.

As someone who doesn't know a lot about EVs, is this a tongue in cheek thing or will some future update really make the vehicle faster?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

:pcgaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAh2kXUcBpo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

As someone who doesn't know a lot about EVs, is this a tongue in cheek thing or will some future update really make the vehicle faster?

It's a real possibility, see the comments on the Model 3 firmware updates from the last page or so. It's not guaranteed, though

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

They should bring back the zx2, zx3, and zx5 with electric drivetrains. Yes I know nobody would buy them, do it anyways.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

Seems smarter to set the threshold lower for your use case, charging up to 90% is putting unnecessary strain on your battery.

I figured with the overhead marking Ford was holding back on the Mach-E batteries, that just charging to 90% would be fine for the batteries. But I changed it to 80% and 60% today on the way in to work. We will see how it goes. I figured I didn’t want to leave the battery at low state of charge for longer periods of time either. Although I am guessing that 60% for a week or two will probably not cause any long term problems for the battery.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A low state is way lower than that I think, Microsoft sets their Surface devices to 50% maximum charge if you set them to "permanently connected" mode in the Bios.

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

If I want a Mach E am I going to have to order it? Availability is my area is uncertain when I look online.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Orvin posted:

I figured with the overhead marking Ford was holding back on the Mach-E batteries, that just charging to 90% would be fine for the batteries. But I changed it to 80% and 60% today on the way in to work. We will see how it goes. I figured I didn’t want to leave the battery at low state of charge for longer periods of time either. Although I am guessing that 60% for a week or two will probably not cause any long term problems for the battery.

From the "High Voltage Battery - Preserving Your High Voltage Battery" chapter of the Mach-E Owner's Manual:

quote:

PRESERVING YOUR HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY

When using the battery at a low state of charge, your vehicle could start disabling accessory features to protect battery life.

If your vehicle reaches a 0% state of charge, recharge your vehicle as soon as possible.

In everyday use it is acceptable to use the full state of charge window, however there are a few best practices we recommend in order to maintain the health and life of your battery.

Overnight Charging
You can increase the longevity and performance of your high voltage battery by using the charge scheduling and departure and comfort settings on your touchscreen or in the FordPass app.

With Charge Scheduling, you can improve the high voltage battery's longevity by delaying the start of charging and setting a maximum charging limit. We recommend you set your preferred charging times to be at least 2-3 hours after your typical plug in time. This allows the battery to cool before charging begins.

Additionally, setting the maximum charge level to be less than 100% for everyday usage reduces strain on the battery.

You can improve driving range and performance by scheduling departure times and cabin comfort level with the Departure and Comfort feature. This not only warms or cools the cabin but also conditions the battery to ensure the best driving range and performance by the set departure time.

DC Charging
Frequent use of DC charging could result in reducing your battery's efficiency and lifespan. This is more pronounced on the standard range battery pack versus the extended range battery pack.

Storage Temperature
Storing your vehicle in temperatures between °C and 45°C is the most beneficial range for the high voltage battery.
At temperatures just above the freezing point or lower, plug in your vehicle to maintain battery performance and maximize driving range.

Storage State of Charge
You can increase the battery life by maintaining your state of charge below 100%. When you park your vehicle for an extended period of 30 days or more, we recommend your battery be at an approximately 50% state of charge. Storing your vehicle's high voltage battery at higher states of charge is less favorable than storing at lower states of charge.

Note: The nonsensical "°C and 45°C" temperature range is from the web version of the Mach-E manual linked above. The PDF manual says "0°C and 45°C".

So it sounds like Ford's guidance is as follows:
  • Charge to less than 100% for every day usage to reduce strain on the battery and increase battery life.
  • Frequent DC fast charging is not good for the battery.
  • Don't store your car in the freezing cold or blistering heat.
  • Keep the battery at approximately 50% if you are parking it for 30 days or more.

So it sounds like keeping the battery at 60% for a week or two is actually recommended by Ford.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Good to know.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I keep seeing people on the Tesla Reddit talking about like 2021.24.xxx version updates. My car is set to advanced and I'm on 2021.4.21.3. Should I contact a service center?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Westy543 posted:

I keep seeing people on the Tesla Reddit talking about like 2021.24.xxx version updates. My car is set to advanced and I'm on 2021.4.21.3. Should I contact a service center?

Brand new cars get their updates a little late. That said, service can force an update.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

MrPablo posted:

Edit: Fix typos, change "Leaf" to "Bolt" before I get hate mail from Leaf owners.

Dear OP, I hate my Leaf.

(Not really, it's just fine for cruft jr's first car. There are just some really dumb things about it, many of them having to do with the battery)

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The lack of active cooling of any sort is a total :rolleyes: move for sure but honestly other than that I'm pretty happy with my Leaf. I totes get why chademo is on its way out but the port on the car is so much prettier and more symmetrical than the CCS ports are, and knowing that the CCS ports could actually be less ugly and more compact makes me dislike them even more.

Oh actually I do have one more complaint - the 2020 has a bigger glovebox than the old Leafs iirc and it's still unacceptably tiny. What the gently caress is with that glovebox

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
CCS is more compact on the car end though - because the Leaf has a separate connector for AC it needs a ridiculously big flap to cover both ports

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

How many garages don't ever get freezing cold or blisteringly hot?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mine's pretty good. I insulated the garage door and it tends to stay within a pretty good range of our mild PNW weather.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hawkperson posted:

The lack of active cooling of any sort is a total :rolleyes: move for sure but honestly other than that I'm pretty happy with my Leaf. I totes get why chademo is on its way out but the port on the car is so much prettier and more symmetrical than the CCS ports are, and knowing that the CCS ports could actually be less ugly and more compact makes me dislike them even more.

Oh actually I do have one more complaint - the 2020 has a bigger glovebox than the old Leafs iirc and it's still unacceptably tiny. What the gently caress is with that glovebox

I mean, it's fine. We knew when we got it what we were getting into, so I shouldn't complain. The 89 mile range just wound up being more of a pain in the rear end than I realized, and the lack of thermal management rubs me the wrong way, but it's far from the worst car I've ever owned. That would be a 1984 Mercury Zephyr, which we eventually discovered was a taxi cab bought at auction with the miles rolled back by the dealership that bought it.

QuarkJets posted:

How many garages don't ever get freezing cold or blisteringly hot?

I don't have a garage so I guess I should be counted in the below freezing camp, but I think blistering doesn't happen until about the temperature of water boiling, and it doesn't get that hot here.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wayne Knight posted:

Mine's pretty good. I insulated the garage door and it tends to stay within a pretty good range of our mild PNW weather.

I think that's probably key, I haven't seen many insulated garage doors but now I'm wondering if I need to insulate mine (it's heavy wood at least, so at least it's somewhat insulating)

Like the PNW just saw a summer where outdoor temperatures exceeded 45 C (113 F) multiple times. Who knows whether that's the new normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I bought a very slow performance EV with the hopes that it may get faster someday. I have faith in Ford Motor Company.

to quote mr regular, ‘but you’re in a mustang. you’re used to things being faster than you’

that’s looks really nice. looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it