Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I just found out the Blur guy is called Damon Albarn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

gleebster posted:

Viz Comics writer: Oh god I can't decide whether to do Damon All-Bran or Damon Alban :negative:
Mad writer: Damon Alblecch heh heh heh I'm a genius!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Viz Comics writer: Oh god I can't decide whether to do Damon All-Bran or Damon Alban :negative:

The Mad Star Trek TNG parody with Captain Jaunt-Fluke Retard lives in my head forever

Edit: Just remembered it was called Star Blecch, lmao

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 17:25 on Sep 5, 2021

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm sorry, but Owl-Barn was right there.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Isn't that the Gorillaz guy?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Yeah, but I first heard him as the Blur guy. Never knew his name until about 30 minutes ago.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

gleebster posted:

I'm sorry, but Owl-Barn was right there.

That's why they never actually hired me :(

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That's why they never actually hired me :(

Fools!

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

gleebster posted:

YggiDee posted:

Isn't that the Gorillaz guy?

Wait for it, guys...

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I was watching a Murder She Wrote recap (Pushing Up Roses) and kept thinking, "I've seen that actor before. Who is he?" Then it hit me: Jessica Fletcher's doctor friend in the earlier (?) series is the same actor who played Commodore Matt Decker in the original Star Trek episode "The Doomsday Machine".

It took me an embarrassing amount of time for me to figure that out.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

La-La Land is a nickname for Los Angeles. I watched that whole musical movie and everything but it didn’t register until just now when someone used the phrase in season 1 of American Horror Story.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I don’t really like Santana except for that one song “Do It Again” which I learned far too late in life is actually by Steely Dan.

Aw, not even his actually good stuff? Like off of Abraxas, not the horrible newer stuff he did with <insert pop singer here>?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Santana was always boring. Just listen to Steely Dan, who have the advantage of not sounding at all like Santana

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Failed Imagineer posted:

Santana was always boring. Just listen to Steely Dan, who have the advantage of not sounding at all like Santana

Well, after your sudden attack of bad opinions has passed, I hope you're feeling better.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=P_vJBz2_LtE

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hyperlynx posted:

Well, after your sudden attack of bad opinions has passed, I hope you're feeling better.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=P_vJBz2_LtE

To be fair, that is quite a catchy song.

From a guitarist perspective, Santana has always sounded kind of wack to me - I've never heard him play a line that wasn't pulled straight from the pentatonic box shapes, and he doesn't seem to play over the changes, just mid-tempo noodling with all the bends and ornamentation landing exactly where you would expect. Doesn't offend me, but I think at this point you could probably train a neural network to procedurally generate Santana solos and you'd never know the difference.

Still, there's worse stuff out there, at least the dude can play and his tone is decent. I imagine it would have been cool to drop strong acid and freak out in a mud puddle to this in 1970.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Captain Splendid posted:

Wait for it, guys...
I actually learned this via wikipedia diving like a month ago or else, right now, it'd be me who just figured that out.

Sorry to spoil the entire thread by learning random facts too early.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

From a guitarist perspective, Santana has always sounded kind of wack to me - I've never heard him play a line that wasn't pulled straight from the pentatonic box shapes, and he doesn't seem to play over the changes, just mid-tempo noodling with all the bends and ornamentation landing exactly where you would expect. Doesn't offend me, but I think at this point you could probably train a neural network to procedurally generate Santana solos and you'd never know the difference.

Still, there's worse stuff out there, at least the dude can play and his tone is decent. I imagine it would have been cool to drop strong acid and freak out in a mud puddle to this in 1970.
Santana is amazing because of the drums. Forget the guitar. The percussionists, especially Michael Shrieve and Chepito Areas, are what make Abraxas so good.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

fizzymercury posted:

Santana is amazing because of the drums. Forget the guitar. The percussionists, especially Michael Shrieve and Chepito Areas, are what make Abraxas so good.

Interesting

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's fair.

Also, I just figured out that peanuts, as people typically buy them, are cooked. If you don't pay attention at the Chinese grocery and buy raw peanuts, you get something that tastes more or less like other legumes and, imo, not very nice.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've never even seen a raw peanut and don't even know what I'd expect them to be, I'd probably buy some just for the novelty.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've never even seen a raw peanut and don't even know what I'd expect them to be, I'd probably buy some just for the novelty.
Buy some and make boiled peanuts.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Boiled peanuts are awful!!!!!!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pea is stored in the nuts.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

fizzymercury posted:

Buy some and make boiled peanuts.

This poster is trying to deceive you.

packetmantis posted:

Boiled peanuts are awful!!!!!!

:yeah:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Boiled peanuts are amazing y’all are….nuts :smug:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I'm considering looking up how to oven roast them. Or just chucking them out. Maybe I could boil some and see if they're any better than raw?...

Also, I was thinking that the nice thing about Santana just playing pentatonic stuff is that it makes it much easier to work out by ear if you're a relative novice like me :shobon:

Also also, it took me aaaaaaaages before I learnt that the guy singing isn't Carlos Santana but another guy. I did wonder why he didn't have a Mexican accent.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm considering looking up how to oven roast them. Or just chucking them out. Maybe I could boil some and see if they're any better than raw?...

Look up some recipes online, I like the Cajun ones. They take a while to do, though. 2-8 hours but the longer you let them boil the better. Or you can use a slow cooker (my preferred) but those take even longer.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

Also, I was thinking that the nice thing about Santana just playing pentatonic stuff is that it makes it much easier to work out by ear if you're a relative novice like me :shobon:

Also also, it took me aaaaaaaages before I learnt that the guy singing isn't Carlos Santana but another guy. I did wonder why he didn't have a Mexican accent.
Do fried peanuts instead of boiled. Just chuck them in a shallow pan of oil at 350f and fry for 2 minutes/they smell good. Drain 'em, toss them in salt.

Boiled peanuts take ages and that green flavor of raw peanuts never really goes away. They're good but a lot of work to find out you don't like them. Fried peanuts are great though.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
How you people never eat a raw peanut? I guess I'm now figuring out that maybe American kids don't get peanuts in the shell as a terrible bag-stuffer along with their Hallowe'en candy

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Failed Imagineer posted:

How you people never eat a raw peanut? I guess I'm now figuring out that maybe American kids don't get peanuts in the shell as a terrible bag-stuffer along with their Hallowe'en candy

Today is the day you learnt peanuts in a shell can still be purchased cooked

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jestery posted:

Today is the day you learnt peanuts in a shell can still be purchased cooked

That's not how it worked in '80s Ireland, though I'm sure such wonders were possible.

That mealy, chalky taste is still with me

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've never seen a peanut in the shell but most peanuts I've eaten in my life have been "raw" (actually ripe but anyway). Usually with raisins around Yule.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's not how it worked in '80s Ireland, though I'm sure such wonders were possible.

That mealy, chalky taste is still with me

There was always at least one house in your street where all you'd get was a handful of raw monkey nuts and maaaybe an apple if you were lucky :(

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pookah posted:

There was always at least one house in your street where all you'd get was a handful of raw monkey nuts and maaaybe an apple if you were lucky :(

Strong username:post here too. But yeah, exactly. Also I guess it took me some years to understand that the raw, terrible "monkey nut" peanuts were the same thing as delicious honey-roasted peanuts

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

What s wrong with raw peanuts? They're perfectly fine, imo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Samovar posted:

What s wrong with raw peanuts? They're perfectly fine, imo.

They're just hard peas.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
As an adult, they're just kinda mealy and the most insanely bland things on the planet.

As a child with a bag full of Hallowe'en candy, the scorn should be obvious

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Failed Imagineer posted:

Strong username:post here too. But yeah, exactly. Also I guess it took me some years to understand that the raw, terrible "monkey nut" peanuts were the same thing as delicious honey-roasted peanuts

Lol, hadn't even thought of that - gonna spit on all the blackberries in a couple of months time in honour of my namesake.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm Australian. We're not big on Halloween here, in any case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm Australian. We're not big on Halloween here, in any case.

Makes sense, Australians are monstrous enough at the best of times